HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Hardly Got to Know Gauthier (LA Times 2002)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
  #1
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,916
vCash: 500
We Hardly Got to Know Gauthier (LA Times 2002)

Here's an interesting article from the LA Times upon the firing of Pierre Gauthier as the GM of the Anaheim Might Ducks.

The Pond doesn't rock anymore when the Ducks play. A season passed and we barely noticed.

This wasn't all Gauthier's fault. He is just the best example of what is wrong with the Ducks.

Gauthier made absolutely no impact on Orange County hockey fans in his four-year tenure. He was not part of the community in any noticeable way. He was anonymous. He tended to make statements that weren't true, in the sense that soon after he'd said something wouldn't happen, it happened.


http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr...rts/sp-pucin20

Edit: Apologies for apparently posting an article that's already being discussed in the PG thread.


Last edited by SB164: 03-09-2012 at 01:42 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
  #2
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
In b4 lock...

Someone made this last night, and it got delete...

But all this article talks about is how he is a quiet guy nothing about the work he did their, they hired him twice, and the year after he left they went to the Stanley Cup finals (one poster said with 90% of the players he brought in, another said 75%...), I don't see how that is the issue with being quiet and not talking to the media often, its better than a media crazy guy like Burke.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
  #3
hockeyman*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Good to see history is repeating itself..

He's done enough damage here already.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
  #4
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Hes done the same here. Not surprised.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:28 PM
  #5
hockeyman*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
To be fair, there was already a thread about PG that was discussing the article.
True Indeed, but if this article goes right into the the PG thread a lot of the users probably won't even notice this article. I think that since this is obviously related to the PG thread, that it should probably be on the main board for at least 24 hours before it's moved to give everyone a chance to at least see it. I have no problem with the mods trying to clean up the main board, but just give people a fair short of seeing what's up.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:31 PM
  #6
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Sunday April 8th

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
  #7
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
True Indeed, but if this article goes right into the the PG thread a lot of the users probably won't even notice this article. I think that since this is obviously related to the PG thread, that it should probably be on the main board for at least 24 hours before it's moved to give everyone a chance to at least see it. I have no problem with the mods trying to clean up the main board, but just give people a fair short of seeing what's up.
Agree, but I think it fit in perfect with a recent article about how PG ruins MTL like a KGB, lol, having an article from 10 years ago that doesn't really talk about any of the work he does is really pointless as mean bring up how PG drafted some of the key guys of the 96 Avs cup winning team.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
  #8
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
We Hardly Got to Know Gauthier (LA Times 2002)

Some people have all the luck.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
  #9
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,916
vCash: 500
Firing Gauthier isn't extravagant. If this news weren't in the papers, no one would ever miss him.

Paul Pressler, chairman of Disney's Parks and Resorts division, the man in charge of the Ducks and Angels, said Friday, "We felt we needed to have new leadership to get into the Stanley Cup playoffs. We need a man with fantastic leadership skills and a great hockey eye. It's very clear our fans are disappointed. I'm disappointed."

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr...rts/sp-pucin20

Gauthier also traded fan-favourite Teemu Selanne in 2001.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 01:37 PM
  #10
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,410
vCash: 500
this thread is like PG, always the same story

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:09 PM
  #11
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,244
vCash: 500
Hang on. Didn't the poster, "Carey Price", say that PG only acts the way he does because of the Montreal media circus?

Was there a media circus in Anaheim as well?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:21 PM
  #12
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hang on. Didn't the poster, "Carey Price", say that PG only acts the way he does because of the Montreal media circus?

Was there a media circus in Anaheim as well?
He is either Pierre Gauthier or a family member

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:21 PM
  #13
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
I hope PG stays.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
  #14
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I hope PG stays.
You're hoping to finish dead last again next year?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:28 PM
  #15
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You're hoping to finish dead last again next year?
There's always a target of incredible hate here so might as well be the same guy.

He isn't the only one to blame for this season -- far from it. Think objectively.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:29 PM
  #16
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hang on. Didn't the poster, "Carey Price", say that PG only acts the way he does because of the Montreal media circus?

Was there a media circus in Anaheim as well?
Pierre is good at creating Mickey Mouse organizations.

one thing is for sure , fans in Montreal got to know him... and he lives in infamy now.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:31 PM
  #17
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
There's always a target of incredible hate here so might as well be the same guy.

He isn't the only one to blame for this season -- far from it. Think objectively.
He GMed a team to last in the East when it had been in the playoffs for 4 straight years and 5 of the last 6.

Don't know why any organization would consider keeping the same guy in the place. That'd be absurd.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:34 PM
  #18
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
There's always a target of incredible hate here so might as well be the same guy.

He isn't the only one to blame for this season -- far from it. Think objectively.
So who else gets the blame? The coach well he fired him. The assistant coach he signed 2 weeks before, well he fired him. The players? well he kind of put that together. The new coach that doesn't speak french and his great assistant Larry Carriere? Well he made that decision. The Markov signing? Who made that?

Again he isn't the only one but responsible at almost 99.9%

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
  #19
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
So who else gets the blame? The coach well he fired him. The assistant coach he signed 2 weeks before, well he fired him. The players? well he kind of put that together. The new coach that doesn't speak french and his great assistant Larry Carriere? Well he made that decision. The Markov signing? Who made that?

Again he isn't the only one but responsible at almost 99.9%
Coach firing -> Molson. Besides, everyone wanted JM gone. So blaming PG now is kinda disingenuous, no?

Markov -> Are you really blaming him for that?! As I already posted elsewhere, it was a calculated risk. Not signing Markov back then would have made PG public enemy #1 in Montreal. For Christ's sakes, let's be objective here. We are talking about THE Markov everyone here was praying he returns; we are talking about THE superstar in MTL, the GOD.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:46 PM
  #20
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Coach firing -> Molson. Besides, everyone wanted JM gone. So blaming PG now is kinda disingenuous, no?

Markov -> Are you really blaming him for that?! As I already posted elsewhere, it was a calculated risk. Not signing Markov back then would have made PG public enemy #1 in Montreal. For Christ's sakes, let's be objective here. We are talking about THE Markov everyone here was praying he returns; we are talking about THE superstar in MTL, the GOD.

It was never Molson. Goat said firing Martin was all him. And it was the most reckless, worst decision a GM has made all year in the entire NHL. We went from struggling to never winning any game with a incompetent coach RC. Goat should leave for having turned this org into a disgrace.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:46 PM
  #21
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Coach firing -> Molson. Besides, everyone wanted JM gone. So blaming PG now is kinda disingenuous, no?

Markov -> Are you really blaming him for that?! As I already posted elsewhere, it was a calculated risk. Not signing Markov back then would have made PG public enemy #1 in Montreal. For Christ's sakes, let's be objective here. We are talking about THE Markov everyone here was praying he returns; we are talking about THE superstar in MTL, the GOD.
Bull Gauthier fired Martin and Pearn. You really think Molson woke up one morning and said go fire the assistant coach? Come on

And the Markov injury isn't his fault, however like it says in the article is that Gauthier is a ****ing liar and tries to take fans for idiots. This isn't the city you want to take fans for fools. We know our hockey and we want to know what's going on, don't ******** us. He said at the Golf tournament he would play and be ready in 2-3 weeks. (September) He then only talk about him in December and that he again was supposed to come back, but no one knew were the hell Markov was. 4-6 weeks it's now been 3 months you seriously have faith in this man? How the hell could anyone trust this clown?

And the bottom line is that when he let Wiz go(fine he didn't want to stay here maybe) and I don't blame him for not giving him 6 million a year but he knew Markov was coming back from major injuries and what did he do all summer was sign Chris Campoli who a few months before gave the Canucks the playoff series and a guy that no one wanted but Gauthier. He signed a very young defense to start the year and had absolutely no plan. This guy doesn't know how to build a hockey team

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:48 PM
  #22
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It was never Molson. Goat said firing Martin was all him. And it was the most reckless, worst decision a GM has made all year in the entire NHL. We went from struggling to never winning any game with a incompetent coach RC. Goat should leave for having turned this org into a disgrace.
I wasn't a fan of Jacques Martin but back in December I was saying that the 1st guy to get fired should be Gauthier and not Martin

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:03 PM
  #23
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Bull Gauthier fired Martin and Pearn. You really think Molson woke up one morning and said go fire the assistant coach? Come on

And the Markov injury isn't his fault, however like it says in the article is that Gauthier is a ****ing liar and tries to take fans for idiots. This isn't the city you want to take fans for fools. We know our hockey and we want to know what's going on, don't ******** us. He said at the Golf tournament he would play and be ready in 2-3 weeks. (September) He then only talk about him in December and that he again was supposed to come back, but no one knew were the hell Markov was. 4-6 weeks it's now been 3 months you seriously have faith in this man? How the hell could anyone trust this clown?

And the bottom line is that when he let Wiz go(fine he didn't want to stay here maybe) and I don't blame him for not giving him 6 million a year but he knew Markov was coming back from major injuries and what did he do all summer was sign Chris Campoli who a few months before gave the Canucks the playoff series and a guy that no one wanted but Gauthier. He signed a very young defense to start the year and had absolutely no plan. This guy doesn't know how to build a hockey team
Well, we agree to disagree on the coach firing. To me, PG didn't fire JM just a few games after having acquired Kaberle. Just doesn't make sense.

About Markov, we know it's not his fault.

For Campoli and Kaberle, these are patchwork because of injuries, can't blame a GM for doing that. If he does nothing, fans will complain too, so...

Anyway, he's not a horrible GM like some here want to make believe.

Personally, I would agree to fire him only if he's really responsible for the firing of JM because even back then, I thought it was a totally moronic move. But what I believe is idiot Molson pushed PG to do it.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:22 PM
  #24
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Well, we agree to disagree on the coach firing. To me, PG didn't fire JM just a few games after having acquired Kaberle. Just doesn't make sense.

About Markov, we know it's not his fault.

For Campoli and Kaberle, these are patchwork because of injuries, can't blame a GM for doing that. If he does nothing, fans will complain too, so...

Anyway, he's not a horrible GM like some here want to make believe.

Personally, I would agree to fire him only if he's really responsible for the firing of JM because even back then, I thought it was a totally moronic move. But what I believe is idiot Molson pushed PG to do it.
Accountability doesn't seem to exist in your world.

Yes, Gauthier CAN be blamed for the Markov thing because HE is the GM and HE offered Markov a 3 year deal. HE did not have a sound backup plan and the team paid for that. The issue isn't lack of scoring on this team. It's the putrid defense. And guess who put that together? Your boy Gauthier.

He's a poor GM, period. And this season is proof of that from the trades to the lack of planning, to the lack of vision, to how he handled the coaching situation, etc. He will NEVER get another GM job.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  #25
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Well, we agree to disagree on the coach firing. To me, PG didn't fire JM just a few games after having acquired Kaberle. Just doesn't make sense.

About Markov, we know it's not his fault.

For Campoli and Kaberle, these are patchwork because of injuries, can't blame a GM for doing that. If he does nothing, fans will complain too, so...

Anyway, he's not a horrible GM like some here want to make believe.

Personally, I would agree to fire him only if he's really responsible for the firing of JM because even back then, I thought it was a totally moronic move. But what I believe is idiot Molson pushed PG to do it.
You can't blame the GM for screwing up, right I get it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.