HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We Hardly Got to Know Gauthier (LA Times 2002)

Old
03-09-2012, 03:46 PM
smon

vCash: 500
In terms of Gauthier's handling of players, that has always been a bit of a joke. Selanne has retold the story several times of how Gauthier personally assured him that he would not be traded, then traded him and had his secretary call Selanne since he was embarrassed.

But whether the fans should care is a fair question. However, given that the team has to overpay for free agents, it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon looking at how the organization is being run.

Here's a question...if Gauthier were not so quick to trade Cammalleri, how much more would he have gotten at the trade deadline? I thought Bourque plus the 2nd rounder and Holland was acceptable but given how invisible Bourque has been...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
In terms of Gauthier's handling of players, that has always been a bit of a joke. Selanne has retold the story several times of how Gauthier personally assured him that he would not be traded, then traded him and had his secretary call Selanne since he was embarrassed.

But whether the fans should care is a fair question. However, given that the team has to overpay for free agents, it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon looking at how the organization is being run.

Here's a question...if Gauthier were not so quick to trade Cammalleri, how much more would he have gotten at the trade deadline? I thought Bourque plus the 2nd rounder and Holland was acceptable but given how invisible Bourque has been...
Tavares AND Hamonic

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Tavares AND Hamonic

Yeah, yeah, scoff all you want...but Paul Gaustad was worth a first.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Dom

Spring 2002 - Anaheim fires Gauthier
Spring 2003 - Anaheim reaches Game 7 of Stanley Cup finals

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
1998 season finish : 12th in West
1999 season finish : 6th in West
2000 season finish : 9th in West
2001 season finish : 15th in West
2002 season finish : 13th in West
2003 season finish : 7th in West
2004 season finish : 12th in West

Real solid team he built. You must think Kevin Lowe is a great GM based on that 05-06 run.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
1998 season finish : 12th in West
1999 season finish : 6th in West
2000 season finish : 9th in West
2001 season finish : 15th in West
2002 season finish : 13th in West
2003 season finish : 7th in West
2004 season finish : 12th in West

Real solid team he built. You must think Kevin Lowe is a great GM based on that 05-06 run.
You mistake my purpose. I meant he was such a drag to Anaheim, removing him made them contenders in a year.

From sportsencyclopedia
Quote:
2001/02: The Mighty Ducks continued to struggle as they finished in last place for the third consecutive season with a record of 29-42-8-3. However, quietly the Ducks had a strong second half as Jean-Sebastien Giguere established himself as the starting goalie with a solid 2.13 GAA, while posting a 20-25-6 record. After the strong finish General Manager Bryan Murray decided to be aggressive in the off-season as they signed veteran free agent Adam Oates and acquired Petr Sykora from the New Jersey Devils for Jeff Friesen and Oleg Tverdovsky.

2002/03: With the new additions came a new coach, as Mike Babcock took over behind the bench. The new acquisitions worked as the Mighty Ducks played solid hockey getting off to a 15-10-6-3 start. However, the Ducks felt they still needed to improve so they acquire Sandis Ozolinsh at the All-Star Break from the Florida Panthers. The Ozolinsh trade would vastly improve the Ducks on defense, as they were the strongest team in NHL during the second half. Still the Ducks felt they needed to make more moves and on trade deadline they acquired Steve Thomas and Rob Niedermayer for a playoff run, as the team completed it's best season in franchise history by finishing in second place with a 40-27-9-6 record.

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:30 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Yep, Anaheim went to the finals with the core that Gauthier built, huh?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Belso

I want to toilet paper his house. But he lives too far. I think that's why he lives so far.. lol!!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Yep, Anaheim went to the finals with the core that Gauthier built, huh?
not at all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
sorry, but that revisionist argument is nothing but B.S...

in 2002-2003, Ducks added:

Sykora (2nd leading scorer, leading goal scorer)
Oates ( 4th leading scorer - leading scorer in the playoffs)
Ozolinsh (#1 Dman, 5th leading scorer)
Thomas ( 7th leading scorer)
R. Niedemayer (23min/game in the playoffs)
K.Sauer (20min/game in playoffs)

6 "new" impact players is a massive difference.

add that kind of impact to our current roster, and we'd have a good chance at being a much better team.

and let's not forget that the 2002-03 ducks team was a bit of a fluke run. They finished 7th in their conference, and road a "lights out" Giguere (.945 sv % in playoffs) into the finals.

a year later, they dropped back to 76pts & missed the playoffs.

oh, and for a 22-23 man roster, 6 new players (and that's only looking at impact players, not guys like Olasson & Ward who didn't have much impact) isn't "90% of the same players", it's less than 75%.

Change 1/4 of this roster, with the 6 new guys being upgrades in the top-6 & top-4, and we're talking about a whole new team.

but beyond the fallacy of your argument... guess what, you could add "10%" to our current roster, and have a cup contending team... all a matter of WHO you add.

add Parise & Suter to our team (2 players of 23 ~10%), and you have an entirely different team... from bottom dweller to cup contender.

amazed how desperate some are to find some way to defend a GM who is terrible at his job, and has been for a long long time.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
CHill Seeker

i wanted to start a new thread and then thought better of it.
i heard a ****** rumor today. As i've mentioned from time to time i work in media and have some access to habs' brass. What i basically heard from a source that in the past has told me kovalev and muller would walk and martin would be fired was that Gauthier would be left in charge to at least finish out his contract - that the 'moves' that were made had molson's fingerprints all over them not vegan skeletor. the source also told me, there would be a coaching change and several ex-habs would be hired as 'consultant' types - either in coaching capacity or to be groomed as a GM - unless Julien Brisebois became available. I pray this source is wrong and Marinaro is right...but then i read this tonight and it sounds like Molson doesn't see any ****ing real urgency in all of this

http://www.danslescoulisses.com/site...de-chance.html

now i'm scared

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
There's always a target of incredible hate here so might as well be the same guy.

He isn't the only one to blame for this season -- far from it. Think objectively.
I don't think you know who you are talking to. Might aswell ask them to achieve world peace.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
i wanted to start a new thread and then thought better of it.
i heard a ****** rumor today. As i've mentioned from time to time i work in media and have some access to habs' brass. What i basically heard from a source that in the past has told me kovalev and muller would walk and martin would be fired was that Gauthier would be left in charge to at least finish out his contract - that the 'moves' that were made had molson's fingerprints all over them not vegan skeletor. the source also told me, there would be a coaching change and several ex-habs would be hired as 'consultant' types - either in coaching capacity or to be groomed as a GM - unless Julien Brisebois became available. I pray this source is wrong and Marinaro is right...but then i read this tonight and it sounds like Molson doesn't see any ****ing real urgency in all of this

http://www.danslescoulisses.com/site...de-chance.html

now i'm scared
scared... yes.

surprised? not really.

when an organization has poor leadership, what more can you expect.

If they do keep Gauthier, they (the habs) fully deserve the s*** storm of negative fan/media pressure they will get at the first sign of stumbling.

The only reprieve they'll get is if the team wins, unlikely under Gauthier's stewardship, but hey... if they are right, and the team does start moving in the right direction, then fantastic!

if they continue to wallow in mediocrity or worse, then screw them... bell centre will be full of bag heads a few weeks into the season.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:30 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I don't think you know who you are talking to. Might aswell ask them to achieve world peace.
I got a chuckle out of this.

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:56 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
not at all:
You missed my sarcasm.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I want to toilet paper his house. But he lives too far. I think that's why he lives so far.. lol!!!
Send me the TP....I live like 40 minutes away!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
You missed my sarcasm.
i thought = laughing

&

= sarcasm

my bad

Old
03-29-2012, 07:02 PM
SB164

I think it's only appropriate to bump this thread today. Check out the article folks:

Firing Gauthier isn't extravagant. If this news weren't in the papers, no one would ever miss him. But signing a high-priced, established scoring star is extravagant. The fans would care about that. And they need something to care about. While there are still fans out there to care at all.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr...rts/sp-pucin20

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I think it's only appropriate to bump this thread today. Check out the article folks:

Firing Gauthier isn't extravagant. If this news weren't in the papers, no one would ever miss him. But signing a high-priced, established scoring star is extravagant. The fans would care about that. And they need something to care about. While there are still fans out there to care at all.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr...rts/sp-pucin20

yes sir i was sayin the same ....like a bad re run this Gauthier
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=63

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1096617

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote