HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

All-purpose rant at DL thread (ALL ranting in here + Poll)

View Poll Results: DL next season
He will be fired / I don't want him back 33 30.56%
He will be back next season / I want him Back 27 25.00%
He will be fired / I want him Back 8 7.41%
He will be back / I do NOT want him back 40 37.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-05-2012, 08:02 PM
The Judge

vCash: 500
All-purpose rant at DL thread (ALL ranting in here + Poll)

With our current roster it is INEXCUSABLE to be last on offense. When TM got fired, Dean should have fired Kompon as well.

It is Dean's fault.

It's your move. NOW.

Not a Dave Taylor desperate last ditch effort when he got Parrish & Sopel and gave our best prospects for "have beens.", but ala Brian Burke kind of moves.

That if you're going to trade for a first line caliber type of talent then you can trade for equal value.

In retrospect, as a GM you have to evaluate and ask yourself this question.

Two coaches and still the same result on offense. The question should be.... Is it the system or the players?
If it's the players, you decide who you want to keep and trade the others you don't want to keep to get an upgrade even if it means your captain.

IMO, 2 coaches and still the same result? Either you take off the "C" from Brown or trade him!

keep in mind Dean, if we don't make the playoffs this year. You are FIRED!

If we don't pass the 1st round, You are FIRED!

Get the hint?

Oh by the way, don't wait at the last moment. Just like shopping for Sales... if you wait too long.... they're all GONE! Just like your job.

As they say... no guts no glory... but be smart! Good luck Dean!

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
bobafettish*

dating back to san jose has this guy ever made his team better at the deadline..... all he knows how to do is sell, pick up picks or character veterans.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:05 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
dating back to san jose has this guy ever made his team better at the deadline..... all he knows how to do is sell, pick up picks or character veterans.
I am with you...*

Old
02-05-2012, 08:06 PM
damacles1156

No one is going to move anything till another two weeks or so.

It takes two to tango.

Technically there is only Two-four teams right now that are elminated from the playoff's. Thank the Loser point system for that. It makes the trade deadline incredibly boring. Cause teams wait till the very end to move people.

More often times then not; they don't move people when they should have, cause the standings look so close.

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-05-2012 at 08:13 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I don't want dean to make any more moves. Let the next GM move the assets available.

His last chance was the ability to choose a third coach. He failed by hiring Sutter.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
No one is going to move anything till another two weeks or so.

It takes two to tango.

Technically there is only Two-four teams right now that are elminated from the playoff's. Thank the Loser point system for that. It makes the trade deadline incredibly boring. Cause teams wait till the very end to move people.

More often times then not; they don'tmove people when they should have, cause the standings look so close.
thats not what happened last year, it was fairly active the month going into the deadline. the actual deadline there wasn't much action and thus we were stuck with penner.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:16 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Listen, I want a deal done yesterday but there aren't very many sellers at this point and they're gonna wait until the last minute in order to maximize their return. And the roster player for roster player type of hockey trades seem so rare these days. I'm guessing we're stuck with what we've got for another week or two.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I don't want dean to make any more moves. Let the next GM move the assets available.

His last chance was the ability to choose a third coach. He failed by hiring Sutter.
That's another option. If that is what AEG decides. Then, take Sutter with him too.

They are just too "old school" for me IMO. The game has changed.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:19 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
thats not what happened last year, it was fairly active the month going into the deadline. the actual deadline there wasn't much action and thus we were stuck with penner.
The 09-10 season saw 30 plus transactions leading into and on the deadline day.

The 10-11 season saw half that all year. Last season was a snooze fest trade wise.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:

agreed. no trade or acquisition will fix this offense.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The 09-10 season saw 30 plus transactions leading into and on the deadline day.

The 10-11 season saw half that all year. Last season was a snooze fest trade wise.
So, is it fair to say we can't assume either way? There's no exact science but just depends on the needs and urgency of teams.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
So, is it fair to say we can't assume either way? There's no exact science but just depends on the needs and urgency of teams.
This year it seems more teams are hurting for revenue. So they might wait a little longer to waive the white flag.

I thought the cap was suppose to save the owners from themselves. Seems like a lot of NHL teams need money (AGAIN).

They will no doubt go looking for it from the players this CBA.

Old
02-05-2012, 08:31 PM
damacles1156

Quote:

Do I get to tell you "I told you so' ?

Just poking fun sydor.

Sutter may turn the team around still(offense wise), but I knew Lombardi was going to hire TM2.0.

Got to credit Herby as well. He called it.

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-05-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old
02-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I knew this team was still going to have a hard time scoring, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

The only big type move I'm okay with Lombardi making is for Carter. Of course, that has a lot to do with my thought that Carter will flourish under the next GM and coach.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
I'm sure DL's working the phones. It's just a matter of time.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'd like to see all the potential UFA's moved for whatever Deano can get. You never know when you're going to get the next Lidstrom late in the draft but you do know that Stoll, Penner, Hunter and Mitchell aren't producing what the Kings need sans Mitchell (yes, I said sans cause I'm smart!) It's time for the self-proclaimed hardest working GM in the NHL to bust out the pie charts, the bar graphs and figure out the course for the next 10 year plan. 4 score and 7 years ago...

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Not to go backwards or anything...

But I can't help thinking of where The Kings would be if Penner & Gagne had been scoring some goals.

And yet, I guess hardly anyone is scoring goals on the team anyways...

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
no name

The races are all too tight. Too many buyers, not enough sellers. We'll have to overpay and nobody is going to be happy.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:19 PM
tomd

The Dean Lombardi "epic fail" hat trick:
2010 Jeff Halpern
2011 Pancake Penner
2012 ??

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:25 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
The Dean Lombardi "epic fail" hat trick:
2010 Jeff Halpern
2011 Pancake Penner
2012 ??

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:31 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
LOL...classic. I was only limiting his failures this time to deadline deals

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
funky

His back is against the wall. This was to be his year. This is a very dangerous time to be put behind an eight ball which he is. I like most others am hoping for a trade. Unlike others I am not looking for a quick fix for this year as I don't think this is our year and I don't want to empty the rest of the cupboard.

As I see it Dean has one move. Not rebuild, not go for it all, but to strengthen the long term potential of a young and upcoming team.

He has failed at free agency, but this is a trend of not only Dean but L.A as an organization.

With our draft ranking we won't be hitting a home run.

What's left but to trade for someone that fills a need but also wil fill it for the future.

D.L has a preference and predictability that he wants lunch pail workers with characters on his team. It failed in SanJose and it is failing now. It is time to go outside the box, it is time to take a chance, not an unproven out of left field chance, but a proven chance.

Therefor I suggest, go get us Carter, take a chance. Give him a few months to get used to his team mates, get used to the city, get used to life as a King.

If you still have a job this offseason, do what you do best, get us a true grinder for the 3rd line and then get rid of Kompon.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:38 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'd like to see all the potential UFA's moved for whatever Deano can get. You never know when you're going to get the next Lidstrom late in the draft but you do know that Stoll, Penner, Hunter and Mitchell aren't producing what the Kings need sans Mitchell (yes, I said sans cause I'm smart!) It's time for the self-proclaimed hardest working GM in the NHL to bust out the pie charts, the bar graphs and figure out the course for the next 10 year plan. 4 score and 7 years ago...
I'd be all for moving our UFAs (except Mitchell unless a 1st was offered by someone desperate) to get picks or prospects. These guys aren't performing in our system but might interest another contender and we may as well get something for them before they bolt. We are obviously still in the mix for the playoffs, but blooding a few of the manchester lads wouldn't hurt.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Lombardi is snake oil salesman as far as I'm concerned. Dynamic teams win Stanley cups. Teams who can skate, be tough, score goals, and know when to shut it down. The Kings can do ONLY one of these.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Teams who can skate, be tough, score goals, and know when to shut it down. The Kings can do ONLY one of these.
Kings CAN do all of that. They have shown it this season, just not consistently enough. When Kings are playing the best they can, they are just as "dynamic" as any other team in the league.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote