HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

All-purpose rant at DL thread (ALL ranting in here + Poll)

View Poll Results: DL next season
He will be fired / I don't want him back 33 30.56%
He will be back next season / I want him Back 27 25.00%
He will be fired / I want him Back 8 7.41%
He will be back / I do NOT want him back 40 37.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Tough to argue with.
Care to explain why you extended his name in the quote?

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

I love what DL has done for the team. In business, you take managed risks, have some fails, some successes. Then you manage those successes and try to duplicate them.

But I think what DL is good at, he's already finished and done as well as he can here in LA. He'll leave us that improved scouting team, I hope, and another GM (and other coach and system) will come in and give us some good LA hockey, with good D but balanced scoring with D.

So I don't hate the guy, I'm glad he was here. But I think his time's up.

- R
.><.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnapnapnapnapnapnapnapnapnaplillinap View Post
Care to explain why you extended his name in the quote?
No reason I think. Maybe just for fun.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:52 AM
tantrum4*

All DL can do is acquire the best players he possible can for the coaches to use to get as many wins possible. I believe he has done that and has assembled a great team. It's not his fault that the players on the ice don't seem to give a **** weather they win or lose. And stop with this "system" garbage. Hockey players know how to work hard and put the puck in the net no matter what "system" they are taught. These guys just don't have the fire in them to put together enough wins. It's time for some of you to stop staring at the posters on your walls and blame the players for once, it's not always coaching and management's fault.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
All DL can do is acquire the best players he possible can for the coaches to use to get as many wins possible. I believe he has done that and has assembled a great team. It's not his fault that the players on the ice don't seem to give a **** weather they win or lose. And stop with this "system" garbage. Hockey players know how to work hard and put the puck in the net no matter what "system" they are taught. These guys just don't have the fire in them to put together enough wins. It's time for some of you to stop staring at the posters on your walls and blame the players for once, it's not always coaching and management's fault.
You still think this is on the players?

I mean I understand there is obviously an amount of player responsibility that must be shouldered. But this is unreal. We have an all-star caliber lineup that plays like garbage?

I mean if you try to remodel a if you try to remodel a lawnmower and use car parts it isn't going to run very well.....it'll probably blow up...

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
You do realize that it's the GM who is responsible for putting this team together, right?

Those players who don't give two ***** if they win or lose, all brought in here from the man up top.

So yes, he is also to blame for the direction this team is headed in, which has seemingly been a downward spiral since the second half of the season.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:50 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I love what DL has done for the team. In business, you take managed risks, have some fails, some successes. Then you manage those successes and try to duplicate them.
The business analogy doesn't work here. How many CEOs last 6 years promising results, but with little tangible success?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:06 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
DL selected the players.

DL selected the coaches.

The job description of the GM is pretty simple - assemble a complete hockey operation that succeeds on the ice. If the coaches and the players don't mesh well and it is not DL's fault, then who IS responsible?

Old
03-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
The business analogy doesn't work here. How many CEOs last 6 years promising results, but with little tangible success?
None. No Board of Directors would put up with results like this, sports is a little different, but still, tell me a GM who has 4 playoff wins in 6 seasons and is on his way to missing the playoffs in year 6 who would be back? Maybe a guy like Billy Beane or AJ Smith, but they atleast have had some success in the past, Lombardi has had zero, he has no equity to get another year, none at all.

The media in LA and I think most of the fan base has such a Laissez-faire attitude when it comes to the Kings, I don't think anything will truly change until fans stop showing up and supporting this garbage Lombardi has thrown on the ice.

I must say, it's nice to see the results of this poll are starting to show even more that people are finally fed up with the NHL's version of Bernie Madoff. I just hope people speak with their wallets. And trust me I know that's a difficult thing to do.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:48 PM
theMajor

vCash: 3066
as DL said earlier this season, i think the team is a winger or two away from being a top contender. with TM being fired mid season and more than half the team under performing, i cant put the blame on DS or DL. im okay with him getting another year...if he fails to do anything next year then i think its time to give him the boot

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:00 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The media in LA and I think most of the fan base has such a Laissez-faire attitude when it comes to the Kings, I don't think anything will truly change until fans stop showing up and supporting this garbage Lombardi has thrown on the ice.
I know that it's been my one man crusade, but IMO the ultimate evil in this is AEG. Uncle Phil bought the team in a dumpster dive nearly 17 seasons ago. Since then, there hasn't been accountability for anything - except for butts in the seats. The team has been consistently mediocre (or worse) on the ice for a very long time and little ever changes. They have a TOTAL of 14 playoff game wins in 17 seasons. How is that even marginally acceptable?

... and it's time to stop blaming what AEG didn't have when they took over the team. The draft-able players this year were still pooping their diapers when TL started making his promises to the fanbase.

DL will be back next season for one reason - they are still able to fill most of the seats regardless of results. It's cheaper to ride out the DL Dull Train to the black hole than any other alternative.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
butthead666

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I know that it's been my one man crusade, but IMO the ultimate evil in this is AEG. Uncle Phil bought the team in a dumpster dive nearly 17 seasons ago. Since then, there hasn't been accountability for anything - except for butts in the seats. The team has been consistently mediocre (or worse) on the ice for a very long time and little ever changes. They have a TOTAL of 14 playoff game wins in 17 seasons. How is that even marginally acceptable?

... and it's time to stop blaming what AEG didn't have when they took over the team. The draft-able players this year were still pooping their diapers when TL started making his promises to the fanbase.

DL will be back next season for one reason - they are still able to fill most of the seats regardless of results. It's cheaper to ride out the DL Dull Train to the black hole than any other alternative.
Agree with putting a lot of blame on AEG.Lieweekly still has a job. It is all about accountability. I think DL is gone because if he is retained I think there will be less butts in seats next season. AEG will use Lombardi as a scapecoat for this disappointing season and in all honesty he probably deserves to be canned.

butthead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:30 PM
stonedhenge

Last summer he drafted a goalie with his highest pick. I mean really? Drafting a goalie is a priority with Quick and Bernier on the team? And picking Forbort when there was Tarasenko left? His unbalanced drafting totally gets along with unbalanced and unsuccessful system he implemented through Murray and Sutter.

stonedhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedhenge View Post
His unbalanced drafting totally gets along with unbalanced and unsuccessful system he implemented through Murray and Sutter.
Exactly, and the writing has been on the wall for so long, it's amazing how more people didn't see this coming. I mean there were a group of fans on this board who saw this coming with the awful and unbalanced drafting, does AEG not have some kind of independent adviser or consultant that could have maybe let them know that Lombardi's terrible draft strategy was going to lead to the product we have seen on the ice this season?

It appears Dean, a guy who was a failure in SJ was given 100% control to do as he wanted in LA without any checks or balances. And if that's the case it shouldn't be any surprise that we are in the position we are in now. And while Dean should shoulder most of the blame for this disaster, some surely falls on AEG for letting it happen.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
So why do teams even hire coaches ????

Who hire these unmotivated players ????
Who hire the coaches who played hockey in 1847 ???
Who orders the way the team is playing ????

What about we fire every player and go to minore league players and ask them
a question before signing ...... "Do you want to win" ?????
This should fix all problems after your theorie.

If you watch the games from coaching or managing point of view you could puke.
There are so many moments when i think.... don't do this or that.. and gues what they are doing.
Same with the draft.... if someone drafts grit and tries to trade for talent... this guy has to be fired instantly.

And there is my main point....
if you always go without any risk or any new ways you just get what other peoples get who go this way.
If you wanna be at the top you have to be better than absolutely everyone....
I have never seen someone extremely better than others by doing less than what the other guys doing

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Tantrum,

Dean has been an NHL GM for a dozen years, he has never had any success and his career in LA seems to be exactly mirroring how things went down in San Jose.

Are you saying for a dozen years the players are blame for DL's failures as an executive?

That seems like a major stretch to me.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Omni Owl

Our city is shiite. I feel like no hockey team will succeed in this town regardless of who built it...

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Our city is shiite. I feel like no hockey team will succeed in this town regardless of who built it...
What the **** are you talking about?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Omni Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
What the **** are you talking about?
The collective conscious of everyone is too scattered to care about hockey. So the players say **** it. Lombardi can't control that.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:56 PM
drbob

actually Carl Jung posited that there was a "collective unconscious" that had historic roots in humanity, but it could never be proven empirically;
and to blame the Kings' futility on that obtuse concept is ludicrous, although you must be doing it tongue in cheek.
If we had hired Brian Burke almost a decade ago or if we had lost that last game and drafted Stamkos instead of Doughty, perhaps our first Stanley Cup would be ours right now, or would be imminent. But instead, the Ducks have a Cup and we are the longest running franchise without one...

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
The collective conscious of everyone is too scattered to care about hockey. So the players say **** it. Lombardi can't control that.
Why did Anaheim win the Cup?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDankness View Post
Why did Anaheim win the Cup?
Because Nietzsche was right all along.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr irreverent View Post
because nietzsche was right all along.
10/10

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Teams like the Lakers and other LA based teams can have had success: the Dodgers in the past, the Galaxy recently, the Angels, the Rams and Raiders when they were in LA. Look up top and notice how many banners there are of the Lakers, hell, even the Sparks.

It's sad. I don't know if it is the mentality/frame of mind of the athletes, but there is certainly something going on and I think it starts from up top. This team lacks focus, discipline and determination to play at their best. It's as if something is holding them back.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Teams like the Lakers and other LA based teams can have had success: the Dodgers in the past, the Galaxy recently, the Angels, the Rams and Raiders when they were in LA. Look up top and notice how many banners there are of the Lakers, hell, even the Sparks.

It's sad. I don't know if it is the mentality/frame of mind of the athletes, but there is certainly something going on and I think it starts from up top. This team lacks focus, discipline and determination to play at their best. It's as if something is holding them back.

Here's the key:

All of the teams above with high levels of success have gold/yellow in their color schematic. Those that don't simply suck ass.

Lakers - check.
USC Trojans - check
UCLA Bruins - check.
LA Galaxy - check.

Clippers - oops.
Dodgers - oops. (88' being the only exception)
Kings - MEGA oops.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote