HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose rant at DL thread (ALL ranting in here + Poll)

View Poll Results: DL next season
He will be fired / I don't want him back 33 30.56%
He will be back next season / I want him Back 27 25.00%
He will be fired / I want him Back 8 7.41%
He will be back / I do NOT want him back 40 37.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Face Wash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
If the Kings miss the playoffs, I am going to cut someone.
With what?

Face Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Because Nietzsche was right all along.
Man...I wish I could understand half of Nietzsche's writings. It's just gibberish to me. Apparently he was quite an interesting guy.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
With what?
His teeth.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:30 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
His teeth.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
The collective conscious of everyone is too scattered to care about hockey. So the players say **** it. Lombardi can't control that.
How do you explain Vancouver, St. Louis, Minnesota, Toronto all where hockey is big. Yet Tampa Bay and Anaheim have won.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:36 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's sad. I don't know if it is the mentality/frame of mind of the athletes, but there is certainly something going on and I think it starts from up top. This team lacks focus, discipline and determination to play at their best. It's as if something is holding them back.
It's clear (to me anyway) that the Kings are nothing more than a venue filler for AEG. That mindset permeates everything. Look at the great job that they do promoting the team - the Kings might as well be Ice Capades for all they care.

AEG isn't a sports organ-eye-zation - they are an entertainment conglomerate. What are the chances that you'll ever hear anything along the lines of "Gee, we'd love to have the Grammys at Staples, but the Kings have an important Western Conference home game that week"? Instead, it's time to send the Kings on the road for a couple of weeks for a tennis tournament that no one attended or a series of concerts or whatever - anything but the Kings.

Remember pre-lockout when AEG was bitterly complaining about all the money they were losing and they couldn't spend another dime to bring in quality players? At the same time they were moaning about this, they were spending $95 million to build the Celine Dion theatre at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

... and how did they do after getting sent to Europe twice to pimp Uncle Phil's overseas holdings? It didn't have any effect on them at all? Really? How would a couple of extra points look right about now?

Top that off with the great way that they treat the loyalty of the fans by exorbitantly raising ticket prices and there really can't be much doubt.....

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
It's clear (to me anyway) that the Kings are nothing more than a venue filler for AEG. That mindset permeates everything. Look at the great job that they do promoting the team - the Kings might as well be Ice Capades for all they care.

AEG isn't a sports organ-eye-zation - they are an entertainment conglomerate. What are the chances that you'll ever hear anything along the lines of "Gee, we'd love to have the Grammys at Staples, but the Kings have an important Western Conference home game that week"? Instead, it's time to send the Kings on the road for a couple of weeks for a tennis tournament that no one attended or a series of concerts or whatever - anything but the Kings.

Remember pre-lockout when AEG was bitterly complaining about all the money they were losing and they couldn't spend another dime to bring in quality players? At the same time they were moaning about this, they were spending $95 million to build the Celine Dion theatre at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

... and how did they do after getting sent to Europe twice to pimp Uncle Phil's overseas holdings? It didn't have any effect on them at all? Really? How would a couple of extra points look right about now?

Top that off with the great way that they treat the loyalty of the fans by exorbitantly raising ticket prices and there really can't be much doubt.....
The problem is that this season, they do have a team that is close to the salary cap ceiling, so it is an excuse that can be eliminated. Now how they operate in their approach to signing free agents may have an effect on landing some missing pieces as opposed to acquiring players in a trade. Mind you, if you calculate the salary/cap hits that went out in Schenn, Simmonds, and Johnson and what they brought back in Richards and Carter, it almost cancels each other out.

I know Dean Lombardi would love to make excuses for his team's struggles, such as the team starting the season in Europe, but the Rangers made the same trip and they haven't missed a beat (then again Lombardi will then point to their shorter travel compared to the Kings).

The Kings made a mid-season coaching change that could be considered a move that was much delayed. Look at how the Blues have prospered with their coaching change, and they made that decision earlier on in the season and salvaged what appeared to be a lost season into a team that is atop the Western Conference.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:51 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
How do you explain Vancouver, St. Louis, Minnesota, Toronto all where hockey is big. Yet Tampa Bay and Anaheim have won.
All of those teams have been to the Conference Championships at least once since AEG took over the Kings.

Since October 1995:

Vancouver has made the playoffs 9 times in 15 years with a total of 46 playoff wins
St. Louis has made the playoffs 10 times in 15 years with a total of 41 playoff wins
Toronto has made the playoffs 7 times in 15 years with a total of 43 playoff wins
Minnesota has made the playoffs 3 times in 10 years with a total of 11 playoff wins, but they do have a 3rd round Conference Finals appearance.

The Kings have made the playoffs 6 times in 15 years with a total of 14 playoff wins and have not made it out of the 2nd round...

Old
03-10-2012, 07:52 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
vancouver is still the biggest surprise to me. theyve finished 1st in the northwest 4 of the 5 previous seasons and still havent won the cup

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:59 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post

Many of the sports teams AEG owns do very well. Many of them have won championships in their respective leagues.

God forbid they try and make a profit.

Maybe they're not the best ownership group, but they're certainly not the worst.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Don't blame AEG for being cheap. They gave Dumbo a blank check and plenty of time to turn this team into a contender and he has crapped the bed just like he did in SJ.

AEG is absolutely clueless when it comes to hockey, not disputing that, and it's obviously a huge issue going forward. But it's tough to call them cheap anymore.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:25 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

If they miss, Lombardi's a goner. No way AEG/Lieweike, with all the talk about how they spent more this year than they did for the team, lets him get a pass. The team was built to win this year,not miss the playoffs and become one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Don't blame AEG for being cheap. They gave Dumbo a blank check and plenty of time to turn this team into a contender and he has crapped the bed just like he did in SJ.
I think you're missing the point on that.

At the time, they WERE cheap - now they really don't have much choice. The salary cap floor and ceiling aren't really all that far apart compared to the way it used to be. In any event, the salary cap is still only 54% of average hockey related NHL team revenue. To give them credit for spending to the cap is a stretch IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Many of the sports teams AEG owns do very well. Many of them have won championships in their respective leagues.

God forbid they try and make a profit.

Maybe they're not the best ownership group, but they're certainly not the worst.
When it comes to the Galaxy, they do whatever it takes to win. They don't sit around waiting for "the right situation" to come around - they brought in Beckham and weren't winning instantly. How many games did it take them to fire the coach and try someone else?

MLS has a salary cap at around $3 mil per team. Beckham makes $6.5 mil guaranteed by himself. When it looked like they might need a little more firepower up front, they bought Robbie Keane - he gets $3.5 mil per season.

Ever seen that kind of commitment for our Kings? - and I don't mean money. I'm talking about going out and caring enough to do whatever it takes to win. Give management the best possible situation to win along with the necessary resources and them hold them accountable for the results.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

PSP.

They ok'd adding a ton of salary in Richards, Penner, Carter and the Doughty extension

Again, it's not them being cheap, it's just the buffoon they hired to run their hockey operations keeps bringing in the wrong players. For all the talk about the right fit he has done anything but that.

I mean come on, it's comical. The Kings have almost $15 million committed to Mike Richards, Dustin Penner and Jarret Stoll. You would be hard pressed to find a single trio of players who have given less value to their teams than these guys have given to the Kings this season. Richards salary bumps up to over 8 next season, for a guy who appears to be on the decline, that is some scary scary ****.

Old
03-10-2012, 09:14 PM
tomd

Quote:
PSP.

They ok'd adding a ton of salary in Richards, Penner, Carter and the Doughty extension

Again, it's not them being cheap, it's just the buffoon they hired to run their hockey operations keeps bringing in the wrong players. For all the talk about the right fit he has done anything but that.
I mean come on, it's comical. The Kings have almost $15 million committed to Mike Richards, Dustin Penner and Jarret Stoll. You would be hard pressed to find a single trio of players who have given less value to their teams than these guys have given to the Kings this season. Richards salary bumps up to over 8 next season, for a guy who appears to be on the decline, that is some scary scary ****.
That hits the nail on the head. Lombardi has just simply brought in the wrong players AND gave up the wrong players to bring the other losers in.

Now you've got a team with a heavily loaded and long-term salary structure. Unless the cap goes up a LOT they can only tinker around the edges to improve the team. Throw in the fact that the farm team has been severely depleted and that draft choices have been largely dealt away and you have a situation where this is the team we must live with for many years. sadly.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
PSP.

Gomez, Gionta and Kaberle.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Omni Owl
Dead

I don't give a **** about Tampa or Anaheim, I'm talking about LA. There's nothing to do in both of those towns, might as well focus on hockey. BTW Chino sucks.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Gomez, Gionta and Kaberle.
Agreed. That has to be the worst.

I am counting down the days until Penner and Stoll are gone. Still have some hope for Richards but right now he is more Mark Parrish/Jason Allison than Ziggy Palffy. Hope a new system changes that.

Last edited by Herby: 03-11-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old
03-11-2012, 01:53 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Agreed. That has to be the worst.

I am counting down the days until Penner and Stoll are gone. Still have some hope for Richards but right now he is more Mark Parrish/Jason Allison than Ziggy Palffy. Hope a new system changes that.
Won't surprise me to see Richards undergo some sort of surgery after the season is over. He looks wobbly on his skates, doesn't seem to be able to explode through his stride. Being an idiot King fan I'm dreaming of no Penner, Stooll and Richardson and a guy named Zach on the top line wouldn't look that bad but there still is something very wrong with this team.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

They won't fire him.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
actually Carl Jung posited that there was a "collective unconscious" that had historic roots in humanity, but it could never be proven empirically;
and to blame the Kings' futility on that obtuse concept is ludicrous, although you must be doing it tongue in cheek.
If we had hired Brian Burke almost a decade ago or if we had lost that last game and drafted Stamkos instead of Doughty, perhaps our first Stanley Cup would be ours right now, or would be imminent. But instead, the Ducks have a Cup and we are the longest running franchise without one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak187 View Post
Why did Anaheim win the Cup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Because Nietzsche was right all along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
10/10
This string made me spit out my coffee I love you guys. You're my big, demented, dysfunctional family/support group.

In on the fence on this decision. I worry about AEG gutting the team if they show DL the door. I *truly* think this team, with some minor tweaks, is a major contender. That could just be me, though.

That being said, I trust Darryl Sutter. I think, if given an offseason to work his system, he would implement a more up-tempo system that would benefit this roster. I don't think this season's system is a fair assessment of his abilities given that he was handed the keys midseason and wasn't able to do much. He can't just scrap the system and start over that many games in...

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This string made me spit out my coffee I love you guys. You're my big, demented, dysfunctional family/support group.

In on the fence on this decision. I worry about AEG gutting the team if they show DL the door. I *truly* think this team, with some minor tweaks, is a major contender. That could just be me, though.

That being said, I trust Darryl Sutter. I think, if given an offseason to work his system, he would implement a more up-tempo system that would benefit this roster. I don't think this season's system is a fair assessment of his abilities given that he was handed the keys midseason and wasn't able to do much. He can't just scrap the system and start over that many games in...
This is my worry as well, because it is Leiweke's style. Don't think for one second that Roenick was Taylor's idea or that Lombardi wanted Blake.

Luc is of of same mindset. I don't know how much counsel he gives Leiweke, but I hope it is not much. They need to stick with this (and I don't mean Lombardi specifically) approach until it works.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Butch 19
King me

re DL: saying "I want him back" is muuuuuch different than "meh.... let's give him 1 more year to see what he can do with no offseason signing/trading crisis."

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
They need to stick with this (and I don't mean Lombardi specifically) approach until it works.
I know you mentioned not Lombardi specifically, but you have been on record saying you want Hextall or Futa hired if DL is shown the door, to "continue with what Dean has built"

If Lombardi hockey is maintained whether with Dean or not, what makes you think the next say 3-5 years will be any different than the first 13 seasons where there has been very little success. How many years without any success before maybe you come to the conclusion that Lombardi's strategy of building is heavily flawed?

Old
03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Fishhead

Unsure if I want him back, but leaning towards yes for now. I doubt he is fired over the Summer, but if the team doesn't come out of the gates well next season he'll be gone before December rolls around.

It's his coaching choices that peeve me, I like our roster as it is now.

Fishhead is online now   Reply With Quote