HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose rant at DL thread (ALL ranting in here + Poll)

View Poll Results: DL next season
He will be fired / I don't want him back 33 30.56%
He will be back next season / I want him Back 27 25.00%
He will be fired / I want him Back 8 7.41%
He will be back / I do NOT want him back 40 37.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Tell me this....which other team has a future like this?

Dustin Brown - 26 years old
Anze Kopitar - 24 years old
Mike Richards - 26 years old
Justin Williams - 29 years old
Kyle Clifford - 20 years old
Trevor Lewis - 24 years old
Andrei Lotkionov - 21 years old
Brad Richardson - 26 years old
Drew Doughty - 21 years old
Jack Johnson - 24 years old
Viaschlev Voynov - 21 years old
Alec Martinez - 24 years old
Matt Greene - 28 years old
Jonathan Quick - 25 years old
Jonathan Bernier - 23 years old

All of them are on the major league roster, (exception of Voynov being temporarily sent down) all of them have a long window, and Lotkionov, Voynov, Martinez, Lewis, Kopitar, Bernier, all have room to develop better..

This isn't taking into account what you have in the minors/juniors/etc.

Average? Take a look around the NHL again bud....
The question isn't whether they are young enough - the question is whether any of them have enough potential to grow into the impact players that a team needs to take the next step. Out of the 6 that I discussed earlier, Quick has done it, but the rest of them are about as good as they are likely to get. Williams and Greene are OK, but nothing exceptional. Lewis and Richardson are marginal at best. Bernier has trade potential to bring in one missing piece...

Who does that leave? Do you see Clifford, Loktionov, Voynov, or Martinez turning into that difference-maker? Anyone in Manchester likely to step up and turn the NHL on its ear?

tomd's assessment might even be optimistic

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
The question isn't whether they are young enough - the question is whether any of them have enough potential to grow into the impact players that a team needs to take the next step. Out of the 6 that I discussed earlier, Quick has done it, but the rest of them are about as good as they are likely to get. Williams and Greene are OK, but nothing exceptional. Lewis and Richardson are marginal at best. Bernier has trade potential to bring in one missing piece...

Who does that leave? Do you see Clifford, Loktionov, Voynov, or Martinez turning into that difference-maker? Anyone in Manchester likely to step up and turn the NHL on its ear?

tomd's assessment might even be optimistic
Definitely was saying all those were going to be game changers, all of them do have their roles to play,

I can see Clifford develop into a nice power forward, I can see Voynov turning into a game changing dman, and Lotkionov can turn into a very nice play making center.

Kopitar is already a game changer, and Doughty has to mature to be one...

Everyone else plays their roles well,

Yea, the future isn't as bleak as say....the Isles, or SJ's, or ANA's, or DAL etc...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Knight of the Realm
Heart & Soul

Obviously the offense needs a revamp. Fox thinks the D needs to be activated more and I tend to agree. We don't get too many out-numbered attacks.

Gagne going down hurt alot this year. Didn't really think he'd be his old self but the lines were thrown out of wack by his loss.

IF a deal for a guy like Nash could be made I'd do it. Kings need a change. IF not, than sell at the deadline if we are out or looking like a one-and-done....

Get something for Penner before he walks, he doesn't add much here anyway.

Don't know if Mitchell will stay here but he probably can net a 2cd/prospect from a contender.

Stoll's time is done here.

Unless moved for a huge upgrade, keep Bernier.

Hunter has no value.

Lewis and Richardson can come or go, like Richie and he may have a little value.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Definitely was saying all those were going to be game changers, all of them do have their roles to play,

I can see Clifford develop into a nice power forward, I can see Voynov turning into a game changing dman, and Lotkionov can turn into a very nice play making center.

Kopitar is already a game changer, and Doughty has to mature to be one...

Everyone else plays their roles well,

Yea, the future isn't as bleak as say....the Isles, or SJ's, or ANA's, or DAL etc...
...but it isn't exactly bright either, is it? With the 6 core players in place and playing close to, if not at their potential, the Kings have the worst offense in the NHL with (using your evaluations) primarily role players developing for near term contributions.

It sure doesn't sound like a team preparing to compete for a Cup anytime soon.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:22 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
...but it isn't exactly bright either, is it? With the 6 core players in place and playing close to, if not at their potential, the Kings have the worst offense in the NHL with (using your evaluations) primarily role players developing for near term contributions.

It sure doesn't sound like a team preparing to compete for a Cup anytime soon.
I don't see Lotkionov as a role player in the future, but meh,

Again, if guys like Penner, Williams, Doughty, Johnson were playing up their career averages, then the offense wouldn't be last, so no, not too worried about a lull in the offense, especially with the defense and goaltending playing so well,

Old
02-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
A lull in the offense? 29th in 5-on-5 goals over 3+ years is not a lull. ffs.

Currently 30th in offense after 55 games is not a lull.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:02 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
A lull in the offense? 29th in 5-on-5 goals over 3+ years is not a lull. ffs.

Currently 30th in offense after 55 games is not a lull.
Like I said, I'm not worried, I've seen how playoff hockey is played, and it's not won 6-4....

I am ok with where the Kings are and where they are headed.

I understand that if 3-4 players were playing to their career averages, the offense wouldn't be so bad...

Old
02-11-2012, 03:52 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not worried, I've seen how playoff hockey is played, and it's not won 6-4....

I am ok with where the Kings are and where they are headed.

I understand that if 3-4 players were playing to their career averages, the offense wouldn't be so bad...
The Kings are not making the playoff's

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:55 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
The Kings are not making the playoff's
And a team in the south would never win the cup, and Edmonton and Carolina would never play for the cup.....etc...etc...etc.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:01 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
And a team in the south would never win the cup, and Edmonton and Carolina would never play for the cup.....etc...etc...etc.
Only 2 teams in bottom 5 of NHL offensively in 23 years have made playoffs (1996 Blues & 1998 Senators). For the Kings to get out of the bottom 5 they'll have to score at a 2.93 G/G pace the rest of the way assuming CGY stays at their current pace.(Facewashes Reserch thank you).

That is a mountain to go over. The Kings would have to be lights out the rest of the way.

It better start in Dallas.

Old
02-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Nose of Sutter

Dean needs to pull the trigger on something right now, i mean like tonight. How long can he sit back and watch us **** the bed like this?

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:56 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
That's a ridiculous response to "the Kings are not making the playoffs".

You can't win if you don't score. LA losing to Florida and NYI is unacceptable.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:21 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
That's a ridiculous response to "the Kings are not making the playoffs".

You can't win if you don't score. LA losing to Florida and NYI is unacceptable.
So both of you can see the future?

That's my point.....

Old
02-11-2012, 10:03 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
At least we know who not to point the finger at for the Kings struggles. We can safely eliminate Terry Murray, Kevin Westgarth, Simon Gagne, Jarret Stoll and Dustin Penner. Somewhere, there is the slightest hint of a smile on Terry Murray's face. I'll admit to falsely blaming Terry Murray for the Kings offense, I was wrong. I've never seen a team struggle to score like this and not have some sort of guess as to what is wrong with the Kings.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 02-12-2012 at 10:51 AM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
At least we know who not to point the finger out for the Kings struggles. We can safely eliminate Terry Murray, Kevin Westgarth, Simon Gagne, Jarret Stoll and Dustin Penner. Somewhere, there is the slightest hint of a smile on Terry Murray's face. I'll admit to falsely blaming Terry Murray for the Kings offense, I was wrong. I've never seen a team struggle to score like this and not have some sort of guess as to what is wrong with the Kings.
It still has a lot to do with Murray. Sutter even admitted he wasn't going to change the system.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:56 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
It still has a lot to do with Murray. Sutter even admitted he wasn't going to change the system.
Terry Murray coached EXACTLY how Dean Lombardi and Ron Hextall wanted him too.

Terry has nothing to do with this. The team was not dead last in scoring with Murray over his years. Granted they were not good, but they were not dead last.

Old
02-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Only 2 teams in bottom 5 of NHL offensively in 23 years have made playoffs (1996 Blues & 1998 Senators). For the Kings to get out of the bottom 5 they'll have to score at a 2.93 G/G pace the rest of the way assuming CGY stays at their current pace.(Facewashes Reserch thank you).

That is a mountain to go over. The Kings would have to be lights out the rest of the way.

It better start in Dallas.
At least I got credit.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:16 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I still don't understand why we selected Derek Forbort in the 1st round two years ago. Emerson Etem, anyone else would've been a better pick. We need OFFENSE

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:22 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I still don't understand why we selected Derek Forbort in the 1st round two years ago. Emerson Etem, anyone else would've been a better pick. We need OFFENSE

That guy is still in juniors, and his parent club has awful depth at his position. That says something about him.

The only Forward that might be ready after Forbort was picked is Austin Watson, or low and behold Tyler Toffoli. I am not saying it was a good pick. But come on Emerson Etem ? Jordan Weal's numbers makes Etem's look so average.

Jesus guys.

you want to complain about a draft ? Try 2006: Giroux, Marchand,Stewart,Berglund,Foligno, Lucic ALL picked after Trevor Lewis. Marchand and CLutterbuck picked two and three spots ahead of Zatkoff.

Round two pick LA Kings Joey Ryan(WHO the hell is that) Two spots later Milan Lucic

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-12-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old
02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:

That guy is still in juniors, and his parent club has awful depth at his position. That says something about him.

The only Forward that might be ready after Forbort was picked is Austin Watson, or low and behold Tyler Toffoli. I am not saying it was a good pick. But come on Emerson Etem ? Jordan Weal's numbers makes Etem's look so average.

Jesus guys.

you want to complain about a draft ? Try 2006: Giroux, Marchand,Stewart,Berglund,Foligno, Lucic ALL picked after Trevor Lewis. Marchand and CLutterbuck picked two and three spots ahead of Zatkoff.

Round two pick LA Kings Joey Ryan(WHO the hell is that) Two spots later Milan Lucic
lolwut? Weal has 2 more points than Etem, while Etem has 18 more goals

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
lolwut? Weal has 2 more points than Etem, while Etem has 18 more goals
You're right.

Regardless Etem is not ready for the show. None of those 2010 picks are.

2006 should be the draft you bit%^ and moan about. 2006 has produced a nice compliment of forwards, the Kings didn't get any of them(and they could have).

Lucic has Dean Lombardi player written all over him. That is a Second round Dean special, how did he not pick that guy.

Last edited by damacles1156: 02-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old
02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
You're right Regardless Etem is not ready for the show. None of those 2010 picks are.

2006 should be the draft you bit%^ and moan about.
As long as 28 other teams can ***** about Giroux and Lucic, hell mineaswell throw in Stahlberg and Perrault in there as well...

Being pissed about draft picks is asinine, it's 20.20 hindsight.

Does anyone really think differently?

Old
02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
null33

Quote:
Round two pick LA Kings Joey Ryan(WHO the hell is that)
Yeah, good question. Here's what HockeyDB says: He's a defenseman, currently in the ECHL (28GP, 2&9 for 11; 30 PIM; -7).

Kinda depressing.

[EDIT] Player Bio.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
As long as 28 other teams can ***** about Giroux and Lucic, hell mineaswell throw in Stahlberg and Perrault in there as well...

Being pissed about draft picks is asinine, it's 20.20 hindsight.

Does anyone really think differently?
People have every right to complain about draft picks(your team is made up of them entirely most of the time). Now a GM has a plan or certain things he looks for in players.

That's fine nothing wrong with that, let the man do his job. But that does not mean he is above being criticized for said pick. People can not agree with those (ESP season ticket holders).

Old
02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Yeah, good question. Here's what HockeyDB says: He's a defenseman, currently in the ECHL (28GP, 2&9 for 11; 30 PIM; -7).

Kinda depressing.
Pretty sure he is not even with the team anymore ?