HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft/Offseason Question

Old
03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
IslesNorway

vCash: 500
I've said in previous threads that this year I'd trade the 1st round pick unless it's either the 1st or 2nd overall. That pick alone would get us a very good dman (assume we pick in the top five).

The Isles still need a second line center and for that I'd be willing to move Bailey, Katic (or Ness) and possibly Lee.

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
As would I, but realistically any dman we draft wont make an impact for us for the near future...We still should be thinking trade for a top 4 guy....

Dumba needs to add at least 20-25 pounds before even being considerd for the NHL team.....
I agree that the isles need to bring in a veteran, top 4 defenseman.

As for the d-men in the draft, stepping in right away...a few scouting reports have said Murray looks nhl ready and could be in the next next season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:55 PM
CREW99AW

He
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I've said in previous threads that this year I'd trade the 1st round pick unless it's either the 1st or 2nd overall. That pick alone would get us a very good dman (assume we pick in the top five).

The Isles still need a second line center and for that I'd be willing to move Bailey, Katic (or Ness) and possibly Lee.
Someone posted a new Compton's mailbag.I think it's dated either yesterday or today.He says the isles are gonna give Strome every chance to make the team.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:33 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
He

Someone posted a new Compton's mailbag.I think it's dated either yesterday or today.He says the isles are gonna give Strome every chance to make the team.
Is Strome eligable for Bport next year? If so that's where he should play but this being the Islanders he'll be rushed like the rest.

As for who we could trade to improve the team, I don't think there are that many of our prospects that has a lot of trade value on their own and unless Garth decides to part with a top prospect his hand are somewhat tied.

Stome, Nino, De Haan, Donovan and Nelson are all valuable and could garner a very good return but won't be traded and that leaves us with:

Petrov is still surrounded by uncertainty with regards to coming over and is yet unproven in an NA rink.
Kabanov has issues to deal with and hasn't set the world alight in Shawinigan but his talent is unquestionable - Won't be in demand by other GMs though.
Katic and Ness have little or no value on their own but as pieces in a bigger deal they could have some worth.
Lee is intriguing but is still far from being an NHL player. Could be quite a valuable piece in trade talk.
Rakhshani has no value as do the rest of the Isles players in Bport (Marcinko, Romano..)
Prospects such as Mayfield or Pedan are only valuable as part of a bigger package.

So, that's why I think dealing this year's first may very well be the right thing to trade to bring back what this team so sorely needs.

IslesNorway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
He

He knows less about what the Isles will do than you or I do. He could be right, but it is 110% conjecture on his part, just like when year after year he says the Islanders will add to the club meaningfully on July 1st.

You've heard of a "yes man?" Compton is a "guess man."

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:22 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Exactly, Snow will not move CDH in any deal. He went after this kid with conviction in 2009, trading him now admits he was wrong... fat chance he does that.
Agreed. Donovan would probably be a guy that could move although AMAC might be a candidate.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:28 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
He knows less about what the Isles will do than you or I do. He could be right, but it is 110% conjecture on his part, just like when year after year he says the Islanders will add to the club meaningfully on July 1st.

You've heard of a "yes man?" Compton is a "guess man."

We'll see in a couple of months.

He's also saying the isles are gonna sign Anders Lee and Petrov.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Is Strome eligable for Bport next year? If so that's where he should play but this being the Islanders he'll be rushed like the rest.
No, he's got one more year of junior eligibility. So it's either NHL or OHL for Strome next season.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:

We'll see in a couple of months.

He's also saying the isles are gonna sign Anders Lee and Petrov.
All that means is he reads Bluechipper's posts. I read them too, so maybe I can get a gig with NHL.herr.derr and tell people encouraging BS I know is wrong for a living.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:23 PM
stevedepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
If Garth were to "swing" a deal for that enigmatic top four defenseman, odds are he is going to move prospects and picks. I know some of you will be calling for the heads of Grabner, Okposo, or Bailey but I can assure you that they won't be moved, and would be stunned if any of those players are moved.

Who would you be comfortable with moving? For me de Haan. I think this kid has the chance to be a great player and it would be sad to see him go but we have very similar players already in the system, Donovan, Ness, Katic, Kichton who have perfomed better than Cal up to this point. In addition, Calvin's shoulder injuries are turning me off even though I don't think they will actually be too much of a concern if he makes it to the NHL one day, but you never know. Katic is the only other one with concerning injuries but at this point he projects to be a #6-7 defenseman at this point. My next reason is that I would assume that de Haan has the highest trade value and my thinking is you have to give to get. Lastly, Cavin has not really put up outstanding numbers that suggest his high draft ranking and he may end up being a tweener #4-5 defenseman due to poor scouting. Another player I would definitely trade is Mikko Koskinen. Assuming he comes back to NA next year, he really has no spot unless he is starting undoubtly starting in Bridgeport which will not be happening. He's put up good numbers in the FEL and could be a trade chip come draft day. Obviously if he decides to stay in Finland, his rights have little value, like Joensuu's and should not be contested. In addition, I would be open to putting Kirill Kabanov in a package deal as I feel he has little value, but other teams might look at him and could see "Raw potential" value, that's another option. Other than that I would be open to trading any prospect that isn't named Brock Nelson, Matt Donovan, Anders Lee, Kevin Poulin, Anders Nilsson, Casey Cizikas, or David Ullstrom. That means yes, I would be open to trading, Nino, Strome, or Petrov but Garth will have to get a big, big return. Thoughts people?

No offense. I actually agree with you about who won't be moved and who you'd be willing to move for a deal.
Problem is, we will have more of the same this off season.
Just like last year and one before it. This GM's orders are to spend as little as possible and circumvent the cap floor. Making trades to improve the team requires clout, smarts and experience not to mention it being a primary focus. I don't think he has it in him.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Am I the only Isles fans that would consider NOT drafting Yakupov if I had the chance and moving down to grab a player with some size...?

The guy that is standing out for me in this draft is Griffin Reinheart.

Now I realize there are 2 philosophies — drafting the best player available, or, drafting for need.

To me — the Isles need size.

Now, if we draft BPA and can make a move to bring in what we need — fine. But we have not been able to swing the deals thus far. Im wondering if we could however move down from 4-5-6 in this years draft to maybe 8 or 9 and take Reinhart (if we ID him as the guy we want) or do we just take him at our position?

I know Snow has been drafting lots of forwards in the first round, but I have to wonder — with so many forwards in the system, and a weakness on the blueline over all (though some good prospects are emerging) perhaps it might be prudent to look at a d-man with skil and size.

Just thinking out loud....

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:36 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post

hes my pick. but garth has left some top notch defensemen on the board to grab forwards. so my guess is, garth will pass on reinhart and draft some dixie-cup sized forward.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:50 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Screw that about trading our top prospects. If anythinf trade our good draft pick this year or they HAVE TO get someone in FA. Haven't we learned anything about trading our top spects

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:09 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Reinheart is intriguing, but if we are at the 5th spot I don't see him dropping just to grab him. We need defensive help now, not 4 years from now which is when Reinheart would project to walk on to anyone's NHL roster. It would be more likely Garf would trade the pick to get someone already 24 years of age and ready to play tomorrow. Of course that won't happen because Wang won't allow it.

If there was any one chance we had in our grasp to grab a real deal defenseman close to joining a club it was last year with Hamilton, but Garf doesn't know jack about defensive prospects, so he picked Strome based on a bunch of draft rags. So if we are lucky we break even with a yet another skilled, non big forward.

Sound familiar?

Old
03-13-2012, 01:27 AM
JTforPres2012

I think it's more realistic the Isles trade pick 5 up to pick 9 a la Josh Bailey in 08 then it is Garth making moves to trade a top pick for an established player.

Come on now, it's the Islanders.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:18 AM
leaponover

I don't understand why anyone would be contemplating giving up a defensive prospect in a trade for a top 4 defenseman. I don't feel like we have a plethora of defenseman that are all the same according to the op. I think CDH is probably our only projected top 4 prospect and he WILL be a top 4 with some team.

Why not look at the logjam we have at center and move some of those prospects?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:22 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Am I the only Isles fans that would consider NOT drafting Yakupov if I had the chance and moving down to grab a player with some size...?

Now I realize there are 2 philosophies — drafting the best player available, or, drafting for need.

To me — the Isles need size.

Now, if we draft BPA and can make a move to bring in what we need — fine. But we have not been able to swing the deals thus far. Im wondering if we could however move down from 4-5-6 in this years draft to maybe 8 or 9 and take Reinhart (if we ID him as the guy we want) or do we just take him at our position?

I know Snow has been drafting lots of forwards in the first round, but I have to wonder — with so many forwards in the system, and a weakness on the blueline over all (though some good prospects are emerging) perhaps it might be prudent to look at a d-man with skil and size.

Just thinking out loud....
Have to agree with many people in front offices around the NHL. You have to go with the most talented player available and he can always be traded. Now is Reinhart as talented as Yakupov? I don't think so. Maybe after that the skill level tightens up.

I would love to draft just based off need but I don't want to pass up impact talent either. I don't know, it's a catch 22 and the draft is always a crapshoot, i just wish the Islanders would be terrible in a year when the draft was a no brainer for once like Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin years. Why the hell can't we get a first with a draft like that!!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
frankieboy

This team needs talented forwards as much as talented d-men with size. I don't care what we have in the cupboard because no one is a guarantee. de Haan could be a stud and Donovan could be a stud and Strome and Nino could suck. Or, the reverse could happen. We need to take the BPA regardless of position, with the exception of goalie (at least in the first round). If the next best player is a center when the Islanders come up to draft, they need to grab him. If it is a d-man, they need to grab him.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:21 AM
PJGooch

I know I'm in the minority, but I would trade this year's 1st round pick in a heartbeat. If it's #1, all the better. It's time to start parlaying youth and assets into real NHL players.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:23 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Agreed. Donovan would probably be a guy that could move although AMAC might be a candidate.
i would not move Donovan kid can play...great vision..great skater..needs to get a look

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Fantom

Quote:

I do not think that alone lands you a TRUE top flight Defender.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
No, he's got one more year of junior eligibility. So it's either NHL or OHL for Strome next season.
Oiiii, in that case, the Isles will have him on the Island.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i would not move Donovan kid can play...great vision..great skater..needs to get a look
I continue to stand by what I've said for a while here: He's Christian Erhoff Part Deux.

Absolutely no reason whatsoever to move this kid.

Old
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Moving our 1st Rounder

I can't look around the league and see a young, top 4 Dman who's available and would be worth a top 5 pick in a draft where three solid defensive prospects are available in the top 6 spots, all of whom should be close to NHL ready.