HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Green suspended 3 games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  #26
apollo71426
Registered User
 
apollo71426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 997
vCash: 500
I try and be as objective as possible when it comes to the Caps but COME ON. Give Green a ****ing break. I dislike Shannahan.

apollo71426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  #27
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500


I'm not going to disect or analyze either of these two hits by Penguins that happened this year. However one involved Matt Cooke who as we know is a multiple offender. The other hit was a head shot on Jeff Skinner who had just returned from a concussion. Neither of these hits resulted in suspensions. Honestly, if it had been Ovechkin or Green involved in either hit, I doubt the outcome would have been the same.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  #28
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
...

he was fined...

Yes, Green got a suspension...but, you don't even know the basic facts...
Fined. Yes. For a clear blow to the head.

Green, suspended 3 games(above the norm in 2010) for elbowing Frolik despite Frolik saying he didn't elbow him and the video clearly showing he didn't.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:23 PM
  #29
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin
 
GrumpyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton Valley, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Fined. Yes. For a clear blow to the head.

Green, suspended 3 games(above the norm in 2010) for elbowing Frolik despite Frolik saying he didn't elbow him and the video clearly showing he didn't.
OK, fined means it's not legal...it's not as severe a punishment, but calling it "legal"...yeah, no.

And the elbow part of that really doesn't matter...it was a shot to the head along the boards with a player clearly in a vulnerable position...it was a bad hit. It doesn't take a set of great eyes to look at that once and see it was a hit Green shouldn't have made and was a very dangerous play, which truly should have been called boarding.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:26 PM
  #30
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,977
vCash: 500
I wouldn't have suspended anyone for either of those Penguins hit.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
  #31
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
OK, fined means it's not legal...it's not as severe a punishment, but calling it "legal"...yeah, no.

And the elbow part of that really doesn't matter...it was a shot to the head along the boards with a player clearly in a vulnerable position...it was a bad hit. It doesn't take a set of great eyes to look at that once and see it was a hit Green shouldn't have made and was a very dangerous play, which truly should have been called boarding.
There was no shot to the head, CSN clearly showed it.

Connolly was fine enough to to pretend he was knocked out and still play.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:30 PM
  #32
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin
 
GrumpyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton Valley, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post


I'm not going to disect or analyze either of these two hits by Penguins that happened this year. However one involved Matt Cooke who as we know is a multiple offender. The other hit was a head shot on Jeff Skinner who had just returned from a concussion. Neither of these hits resulted in suspensions. Honestly, if it had been Ovechkin or Green involved in either hit, I doubt the outcome would have been the same.
You're proving my point...

I hate Matt Cooke as much as anyone...the most hated player in the league by the players, and the most hated player by me...but that hit...what the **** happened? Jackman obviously didn't dive, but there wasn't much contact AT ALL from Cooke...it certainly wasn't Cooke that caused Jackman to spin wildly into the boards...as dirty a player as Cooke has been in the past, I can't fault him for that hit at all...he's making very light contact into the boards...

The Orpik hit is 100% legal. It's a shoulder to the head, but it's not from the blindside...it's straight on and Skinner has the chance to see the hit coming. Guy had balls for playing the puck.

These "comparisons" are exactly what I'm saying...you're forming these completely opinionated analyses and then comparing them back to a hit that really is a lot different (and a lot worse), and topping it off with how the NHL hates Ovechkin.

Trust me guy, the NHL doesn't hate Ovechkin. They make money hand over fist when the guy is playing well. The fact is the guy is a little reckless sometimes, and just because he's a star player doesn't mean he's void of discipline. He's gotten away with that play in the past because of how good he is, but with the way the NHL is calling things now because of the sport-wide uproar about concussions, he's getting punished. I don't like to see the guy not playing either, but he does have the tendency to get wreckless sometimes. It's too bad if that "takes away from his game" (which I don't really think it does or has to), but just looking at how much debate there is everywhere over player safety, it's worth that price.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
  #33
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
The Staal hit on Green, if anyone wanted to see it.


Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
  #34
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Complete bull****. League's becoming more a joke every day.


Last edited by Roughing: 03-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
  #35
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,423
vCash: 2714
Maybe Green was learning hit or be hit. He gets smoked, f that, he stands up for himself, repeat offender red alert. What was that, 2 years ago? One questionable hit every 2 years is repeat offender. How many hits does he ever throw in a year? Its like interference, you do it all the time, you get away with it.

I still laugh that the refs asked Sarge to tone it down. Hits consistently for the first time in his career. One or two per game. Well isn't that just f'in great.

The league is laughable. Why don't they go after high sticks or spears? Running goalies?

Merge it into news and notes. The thread that is needed is of the bigger picture.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
  #36
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin
 
GrumpyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton Valley, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Oh of course, the guy who's the fan of a team who's player got nothing for ruining an elite goalie is fine with the consistency of the NHL.
Miller's been great lately.

And, Lucic didn't have anything to do with "ruining" Miller. Guy was having a bad year before that incident, and it continued until he and the Sabres decided to get their **** together recently.

Keep on going with those straw man arguments.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
  #37
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 500
Apparently Cole was fined for a slew foot, but none for Skinner who slew flooted Orlov then shoved him into the boards...

Come on... Consistency abound.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:40 PM
  #38
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin
 
GrumpyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton Valley, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,766
vCash: 500
Whatever guys....

I applaud the few of you who accept this...really don't understand how the rest of you think.

I rip my own fan base for this all the time, just so you know.

Think about it, the constant bringing up other hits from the past...it just prevents you from being at all objective. Look at this hit for what it was...a really bad hit. The conspiracy theories are rampant on every team's board. It's sad. And it's not the "league" that is making me sad...it's the fans who can't look at things objectively and realize the validity of what is happening. Suspensions have happened to teams all around the league, not just yours.

FWIW, I really hope the Capitals can get it together next year, if not this year. A truly entertaining team to watch the past few seasons...

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
  #39
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin
 
GrumpyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton Valley, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Apparently Cole was fined for a slew foot, but none for Skinner who slew flooted Orlov then shoved him into the boards...

Come on... Consistency abound.
Is there a video of that?

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
  #40
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
When random fans from other teams start posting on controversial topics my troll detector starts going off like crazy.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:45 PM
  #41
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
Is there a video of that?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...141722904.html

Should of been fined, and Orlov should of been allowed to beat his ass for that ********.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:47 PM
  #42
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,423
vCash: 2714
Jay Miller has un-retired I see. I don't think he will ever realize that the story here is how inconsistent the league is, not what Mike Green did or his punishment.

Even if you tell him straight up.

How many times did Shame show the powerful, telling video, in slow motion with narration for every frame. Suckers don't realize when things are sold to them.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:06 PM
  #43
CapsCast
Registered User
 
CapsCast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
The league has been wildly inconsistent this year with its suspensions, but there isn't a conspiracy against the Caps.

That said, Green deserved every bit of the three games he got today.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:49 PM
  #44
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
Oh, of course.

The usual "I didn't agree with that other ruling/suspension, so even if this one is right, it can't actually be right" argument...

Green deserved a suspension for this, period. He hit a guy who was in a vulnerable position with his elbow. He had plenty of opportunity to make the right decision and not hit the guy...it was an extremely dangerous play. What does the fact that it was a "non-call" have to do with anything?

I just can't stand the fans complaining about consistency, yet they have none themselves, especially when it comes to their own players...it was a bad hit...move on. I don't see why the pill is that hard to swallow.

The way people argue about these suspensions, the league can never actually get anything right, because they got other things wrong in the past (opinion), so getting things right now only makes them inconsistent. The fact that some people can't see the idiocy and hypocrisy of their own "logic" is mind-blowing.
So if you cannot compare hits and punishments, how then do you establish a standard, Einstein? Or are you perfectly happy with random suspension lengths based on what side of the bed Shanahan awoke and who he likes or dislikes? I feel bad for your less favorite child.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:54 PM
  #45
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
The league has been wildly inconsistent this year with its suspensions, but there isn't a conspiracy against the Caps.

That said, Green deserved every bit of the three games he got today.
Hmm, and the inconsistency, not in real-time but rather video reviews which can be replayed over and over are due to what now?

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:19 PM
  #46
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
Bourque gets 5 for a brutal hit where the play is no where near Nicky and Green gets 3 for a questionable hit........ F U Shanahan

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:33 AM
  #47
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
Miller's been great lately.

And, Lucic didn't have anything to do with "ruining" Miller. Guy was having a bad year before that incident, and it continued until he and the Sabres decided to get their **** together recently.

Keep on going with those straw man arguments.
your argument is just as bad, lucic still ran miller

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:52 AM
  #48
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
The league has been wildly inconsistent this year with its suspensions, but there isn't a conspiracy against the Caps.

That said, Green deserved every bit of the three games he got today.
It sure is fun to throw it out there though and watch all the Ovechkin/Caps haters react...



FWIW, I called the 3 games. Just call IMO. Past indiscretions against us don't matter. Inconsistency really burns, but the NHL was right.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:02 AM
  #49
CapsCast
Registered User
 
CapsCast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Hmm, and the inconsistency, not in real-time but rather video reviews which can be replayed over and over are due to what now?
A league-wide conspiracy to attack Caps players and the Caps organization? Really?

Do you think they have a secret 'war room' where they plan the Caps destruction with a lot of evil laughter and trickery?

To all the knuckleheads that actually believe there is, you need to GET A LIFE!!!!

1) Step away from your keyboard and take a few deep breaths.
2) Better yet, go for a walk in the sunshine.
3) Take a break from the boards for a while, do something relaxing.
4) When you come back, please don't bring any of your loony manifestos to the main board, its embarrassing to the rational posters here to have even a loose association with you.

Face it, the NHL and its employees have a lot more important things to do than to worry about ruining the team.


The Capitals are doing a great job this season without any help.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:03 AM
  #50
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
You're proving my point...

I hate Matt Cooke as much as anyone...the most hated player in the league by the players, and the most hated player by me...but that hit...what the **** happened? Jackman obviously didn't dive, but there wasn't much contact AT ALL from Cooke...it certainly wasn't Cooke that caused Jackman to spin wildly into the boards...as dirty a player as Cooke has been in the past, I can't fault him for that hit at all...he's making very light contact into the boards...

The Orpik hit is 100% legal. It's a shoulder to the head, but it's not from the blindside...it's straight on and Skinner has the chance to see the hit coming. Guy had balls for playing the puck.

These "comparisons" are exactly what I'm saying...you're forming these completely opinionated analyses and then comparing them back to a hit that really is a lot different (and a lot worse), and topping it off with how the NHL hates Ovechkin.

Trust me guy, the NHL doesn't hate Ovechkin. They make money hand over fist when the guy is playing well. The fact is the guy is a little reckless sometimes, and just because he's a star player doesn't mean he's void of discipline. He's gotten away with that play in the past because of how good he is, but with the way the NHL is calling things now because of the sport-wide uproar about concussions, he's getting punished. I don't like to see the guy not playing either, but he does have the tendency to get wreckless sometimes. It's too bad if that "takes away from his game" (which I don't really think it does or has to), but just looking at how much debate there is everywhere over player safety, it's worth that price.
And you totally missed my point. My issue was not that either player was suspended but rather if the situation involved different teams as the perpetrators would it be a similar outcome. Call it what you want conspiracy or whatever, but I've heard a number of the hockey talking heads acknowledge that players reputations often enter into on ice discipline within the league. They gave Todd Bertuzzi as an example that he gets penalized for perceived infractions where others would not and as a Caps fan we've seen it with Alexander Semin. Understand that this is the human element involved in the game. But I have to think that when the league looks at hits or for that matter Shanny, they already know the history of the player involved, so they are already being somewhat influenced in their decision making without just looking at the specific incident. I also believe that same human factor of being influenced is latently there when it comes to involved teams and their coaches etc.. Boudreau was perceived by many to be a whiner and Hunter's reputation from his days as a player is still there. Just like on these HF boards, you'll never be able to convince or change people's minds about everything. We all look at things through a kaliedoscope based upon past experiences, reputations along with observations. The injuries that Caps fans have seen occur to our players, i.e. Green, Backstrom without much if any discipline is frustrating when Shanny comes off like hanging Judge Parker when it comes to Capitals.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.