HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Green suspended 3 games

Old
03-10-2012, 09:10 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
You're proving my point...

I hate Matt Cooke as much as anyone...the most hated player in the league by the players, and the most hated player by me...but that hit...what the **** happened? Jackman obviously didn't dive, but there wasn't much contact AT ALL from Cooke...it certainly wasn't Cooke that caused Jackman to spin wildly into the boards...as dirty a player as Cooke has been in the past, I can't fault him for that hit at all...he's making very light contact into the boards...

The Orpik hit is 100% legal. It's a shoulder to the head, but it's not from the blindside...it's straight on and Skinner has the chance to see the hit coming. Guy had balls for playing the puck.

These "comparisons" are exactly what I'm saying...you're forming these completely opinionated analyses and then comparing them back to a hit that really is a lot different (and a lot worse), and topping it off with how the NHL hates Ovechkin.

Trust me guy, the NHL doesn't hate Ovechkin. They make money hand over fist when the guy is playing well. The fact is the guy is a little reckless sometimes, and just because he's a star player doesn't mean he's void of discipline. He's gotten away with that play in the past because of how good he is, but with the way the NHL is calling things now because of the sport-wide uproar about concussions, he's getting punished. I don't like to see the guy not playing either, but he does have the tendency to get wreckless sometimes. It's too bad if that "takes away from his game" (which I don't really think it does or has to), but just looking at how much debate there is everywhere over player safety, it's worth that price.
And you totally missed my point. My issue was not that either player was suspended but rather if the situation involved different teams as the perpetrators would it be a similar outcome. Call it what you want conspiracy or whatever, but I've heard a number of the hockey talking heads acknowledge that players reputations often enter into on ice discipline within the league. They gave Todd Bertuzzi as an example that he gets penalized for perceived infractions where others would not and as a Caps fan we've seen it with Alexander Semin. Understand that this is the human element involved in the game. But I have to think that when the league looks at hits or for that matter Shanny, they already know the history of the player involved, so they are already being somewhat influenced in their decision making without just looking at the specific incident. I also believe that same human factor of being influenced is latently there when it comes to involved teams and their coaches etc.. Boudreau was perceive by many to be a whiner and Hunter's reputation from his days as a player is still there. Just like on these HF boards, you'll never be able to convince or change people's minds about everything. We all look at things through a kaliedoscope based upon past experiences, reputations along with observations. The injuries that Caps fans have seen occur to our players, i.e. Green, Backstrom without much if any discipline is frustrating when Shanny comes off like hanging Judge Parker when it comes to Capitals.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
A league-wide conspiracy to attack Caps players and the Caps organization? Really?

Do you think they have a secret 'war room' where they plan the Caps destruction with a lot of evil laughter and trickery?

To all the knuckleheads that actually believe there is, you need to GET A LIFE!!!!

1) Step away from your keyboard and take a few deep breaths.
2) Better yet, go for a walk in the sunshine.
3) Take a break from the boards for a while, do something relaxing.
4) When you come back, please don't bring any of your loony manifestos to the main board, its embarrassing to the rational posters here to have even a loose association with you.

Face it, the NHL and its employees have a lot more important things to do than to worry about ruining the team.

The Capitals are doing a great job this season without any help.
Well, if you put it that way, gee pretty ridiculous you're right. But how about this concept; they don't sit around laughing and plotting, but Shanahan and his posse simply don't like the Caps and that influences how they perceive things. It's human nature; if I was in Shanahan's position, I'd probably subconsciously do the same. There are probably other players or other teams that get the same crap too. If you think there isn't a good old boy network in the NHL, you're a fool.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:53 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
A league-wide conspiracy to attack Caps players and the Caps organization? Really?

Do you think they have a secret 'war room' where they plan the Caps destruction with a lot of evil laughter and trickery?

To all the knuckleheads that actually believe there is, you need to GET A LIFE!!!!

1) Step away from your keyboard and take a few deep breaths.
2) Better yet, go for a walk in the sunshine.
3) Take a break from the boards for a while, do something relaxing.
4) When you come back, please don't bring any of your loony manifestos to the main board, its embarrassing to the rational posters here to have even a loose association with you.

Face it, the NHL and its employees have a lot more important things to do than to worry about ruining the team.

The Capitals are doing a great job this season without any help.
So you don't think it's coincidence that the suspensions of Green and Ovechkin come right before Boston Bruin games and the Bruins happen to have a player named Campbell on the roster?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
CapsCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Well, if you put it that way, gee pretty ridiculous you're right. But how about this concept; they don't sit around laughing and plotting, but Shanahan and his posse simply don't like the Caps and that influences how they perceive things. It's human nature; if I was in Shanahan's position, I'd probably subconsciously do the same. There are probably other players or other teams that get the same crap too. If you think there isn't a good old boy network in the NHL, you're a fool.

It is all making sense now!!!! Stay with me for a second.

Mike Green plays for the Washington Capitals.

Green was suspended by the NHL.

Green is also the color of US money.

Many of the symbols on US currency are believed to have originated by the Freemasons and The illuminati.

The Capital of the US is Washington DC.

So obviously The NHL is run by a secret society of the illuminati and freemasons that hate the Washington Capitals and are actively working to destroy them!!!!!!!!!!

A + B = C

And all this time the truth was hiding in plain sight...

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:58 AM
johnnyk08

i would be ok with it if there was any consistency and if the rule for repeat offender actually was twice in 18 months

johnnyk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Monty

It's unfortunate that Mike Green was suspended for three games. But what's done is done. Now it's time to move on and worry about what other defenseman is going to pick up the scoring that Game Over Green would otherwise provide in the next three games.

Oh wait a second . . . .

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I have no problem. Nasty is never a bad quality in hockey.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:33 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

I believe any contact or hit above the shoulders needs to be outlawed, thus there would be no doubt what the circumstances of the play or what part of the body engaged an opponents head, just that the player was struck in the head. Clear cut rule, no need for interpretation or what ifs.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:57 PM
LetsGoBears

Shanahan is just a much of a joke as Campbell was. Maybe even the slight edge to Campbell being better because he might have realized a situation like this would result form it.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:05 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Judging hits to the head never seem to factor the opponents body position. When a 5'8" guy gets elbowed by Chara, its often his fault... because he is too short.

Wasn't BCon leaning back, head no where near normal height? There just seems to be little leniency towards that aspect of these hits. A guy starts falling as you hit him, I dont know how players are to foresee that.

I would like to know that Shanahan factors the players head level changing as the hit starts.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:10 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk08 View Post
i would be ok with it if there was any consistency and if the rule for repeat offender actually was twice in 18 months
The current rule for repeat offender has to do with the money side of games suspended. They need to define repeat offender on the discipline side. I have a real issue with ANY player keeping their nose clean for 18+ months and still having prior actions used against them. That is a lot of time when factoring the physical nature of this sport.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Judging hits to the head never seem to factor the opponents body position. When a 5'8" guy gets elbowed by Chara, its often his fault... because he is too short.

Wasn't BCon leaning back, head no where near normal height? There just seems to be little leniency towards that aspect of these hits. A guy starts falling as you hit him, I dont know how players are to foresee that.

I would like to know that Shanahan factors the players head level changing as the hit starts.
It's our player, and one of my personal favorites as a Cap, but it felt dirty to me. Connolly was engaged and Green nukes him.

But you're right in that it was a bang bang play. Tough to pull out of it. I guess the new NHL would rather the players back off instead of going for big hits that are borderline.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Why? I have no idea....but we are on the wrong side of the inconsistencies, arguably every time.
No kidding! Whether it be suspensions or stupid goalie intereference calls at crucial junctures of important games (game 7 vs Flyers and Monty)

I'm not a conspiracy theorist tho. I just think its been just an unlucky string of events...that and the fact that Shanahan hates the Caps

As a player he didn't like the organization, the arena etc ..I'm sure that he is superhuman and doesn't let that factor into any of his decisions! haha jk

I don't like Shanahan. But its not easy being consistent in his position.

This whole concussion/hits to the head thing is just WAY out of control.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I believe any contact or hit above the shoulders needs to be outlawed, thus there would be no doubt what the circumstances of the play or what part of the body engaged an opponents head, just that the player was struck in the head. Clear cut rule, no need for interpretation or what ifs.

This is a great idea. It's just like high-sticking. The players know to never do that--or else.

Write a letter to NHL. Maybe they'll listen to reason.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:11 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This is a great idea. It's just like high-sticking. The players know to never do that--or else.

Perhaps he could send a telegram, or, if he's really serious, a pony express.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:16 AM
jameswrjobe53

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk08 View Post
I believe this is quite harsh for a first time offender on a non call hit.......
He better have been suspended.
We have too many injured players in TBL (I Believe like 12) so yeah....

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Chokingdogs

shamahan never fails to deliever....

talk about inconsistent meting of supplemental discipline?

ponder how this hit didnt so much as get a fine?

Quote:
Malkin won't be punished
Monday, 12 March 2012 11:11
Written by Dave Molinari

Evgeni Malkin will not be fined or suspended by the NHL for his hit from behind on Boston defenseman Johnny Boychuk late in the Penguins' 5-2 victory against the Bruins Sunday at Consol Energy Center.

Malkin received a minor penalty for boarding on the play, when he checked Boychuk in the back near the boards, causing Boychuk's head to strike the glass.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I'm in Boca Raton attending the meeting. If I get a chance I'll bring it up.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-on-headshots/

Old
03-12-2012, 12:01 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Perhaps he could send a telegram, or, if he's really serious, a pony express.
Had to go there.

Old
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
shamahan never fails to deliever....

talk about inconsistent meting of supplemental discipline?

ponder how this hit didnt so much as get a fine?

And then you see this, and Myers got 3 games.. Shanahan should be a weatherman when he gets run out of the NHL..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote