HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Great Article By ESPN On The Coyotes

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
  #26
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Re: players living in Scottsdale, that's the case in every city I know about. The Flyers all live in south Jersey, near the training facility in Voorhees. Capitals live mostly in northern Virginia. Rangers and Islanders live some in Manhattan, some in North Jersey, and probably some in Connecticut. These guys are millionaires, after all.

Millionaires live in many places.....

I think the team would have been wise to go "all in" when they chose to lease the arena in Glendale and if the players insisted in living in Scottsdale, they could drive.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
  #27
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,256
vCash: 500
I can imagine...it seems like someone was always wanting either quarters or a refund.

I was a bit disappointed though, I wanted to try some of the nicer hockey skates but they only had the blue horrible ones. I did use those, but I felt really silly putting on the plastic behemoths when I had a perfectly good pair of skates in my bag, with nice, sharp blades. But I wanted to try hockey skates, rather than using my speedskates. I've decided to get back onto the ice after a 7-year break, and there just isn't any good way to practice speedskating. So I'm trying to pick up the hockey stuff in the hopes of someday doing a beginner's league for older folks.

The skates were gross and didn't feel great on my feet, but it didn't take all that long to get used to them. Quite a different feeling, like something was missing...about 4" of blade! I'm used to just being able to do one push and going 10-12' on that one stroke.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
  #28
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?
 
AZcoyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
Maybe I'm just misremembering...but I don't recall that the Ice Den is horrible at all! It's been a while since I went there, but the facility was nice and clean, and the people were friendly. The ice was good, no complaints there either.

I know I was there at least once on a weekend, and it wasn't any worse than any other ice rink in America on the weekends - overrun with small children having birthday parties, lots of parents counting down the minutes until it was over, etc.

I've skated at the Ice Den, Arcadia, Oceanside (is it still around?) and Polar Ice Peoria. The Ice den was probably the nicest of the bunch.

I was at Polar Ice yesterday, the place was empty. Physically empty - all of the game machines are gone, the equipment store was gone, etc. Just two big sheets of ice, some picnic tables, and some figure skaters doing public session with a bunch of moms sitting around using the free wifi. They did have a few Coyotes posters and a jersey in the office. The ice was nice, that's really all that matters. I was really surprised at how much it had changed in the last couple of years (I was skating there 3-4 times a week from 2002-2004 and had only been back once since then, around 2006 or so).
The Ice Den was rated one of the top 10 (Yes, TEN) rinks in America. It's the only place in Arizona with three rinks. It also has two resturants, a fully equiped hockey store, a very nice gym, and a store for womans clothes. In the summer, they turn the third rink into a indoor soccer/lacrosse field.

Arcadia is a piece of crap, because it's so old and the ice isn't well kept at all (1970s zamboni, that doesn't do **** to the ice).

Oceanside is still around. It has (IMO) the best ice in Arizona (besides Jobing and Tims Toyota). Giant locker rooms, but not the nicest facility.

Polar ice Peoria and Chandler are the same thing. EXACT same design, and interior. If I were dropped off inside one, I would have no idea where I was. I hate these rinks. They are dark, and dirty and the staff is unfriendly. The ice is soft as hell. Peoria is worse because the ice actualy SLANTS into the boards.

I havn't visited Polar Ice Gilbert.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM
  #29
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I can imagine...it seems like someone was always wanting either quarters or a refund.

I was a bit disappointed though, I wanted to try some of the nicer hockey skates but they only had the blue horrible ones. I did use those, but I felt really silly putting on the plastic behemoths when I had a perfectly good pair of skates in my bag, with nice, sharp blades. But I wanted to try hockey skates, rather than using my speedskates. I've decided to get back onto the ice after a 7-year break, and there just isn't any good way to practice speedskating. So I'm trying to pick up the hockey stuff in the hopes of someday doing a beginner's league for older folks.

The skates were gross and didn't feel great on my feet, but it didn't take all that long to get used to them. Quite a different feeling, like something was missing...about 4" of blade! I'm used to just being able to do one push and going 10-12' on that one stroke.
Quarters, refunds, broke machines and worst of all the redemption counter.... ice cuts would be done late while an employee was waiting on some little one to choose a silly prize! You were correct, the rink should be about the ice and little else.

It's a shame about the rental skates, as they are patterned after the Lange skates from back in the day. Lange's were actually a comfortable skate that offered enough performance that many pros wore them. I think the biggest problem is the buckles (rather than laces) and of course blade maintenance.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:22 PM
  #30
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Millionaires live in many places.....
That's true, but every metropolitan area has one or two areas where they tend to congregate. Short of sponsoring a housing development, I don't know what the Coyotes could do to get the players to live closer to the stadium.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:22 PM
  #31
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
The Ice Den was rated one of the top 10 (Yes, TEN) rinks in America. It's the only place in Arizona with three rinks. It also has two resturants, a fully equiped hockey store, a very nice gym, and a store for womans clothes. In the summer, they turn the third rink into a indoor soccer/lacrosse field.

Arcadia is a piece of crap, because it's so old and the ice isn't well kept at all (1970s zamboni, that doesn't do **** to the ice).

Oceanside is still around. It has (IMO) the best ice in Arizona (besides Jobing and Tims Toyota). Giant locker rooms, but not the nicest facility.

Polar ice Peoria and Chandler are the same thing. EXACT same design, and interior. If I were dropped off inside one, I would have no idea where I was. I hate these rinks. They are dark, and dirty and the staff is unfriendly. The ice is soft as hell. Peoria is worse because the ice actualy SLANTS into the boards.

I havn't visited Polar Ice Gilbert.
We're getting off topic here, but I disagree..... a rink should be about the ice, rather than restaurants and shops. Incidentally, they just opened the third sheet and have yet to convert it in the off season.... I know, splitting hairs.

Oceanside does have the hardest ice, but it is far from level and despite improvement in recent years the corners are always built up from lack of maintenance.... not to mention that they have some of the most dangerous boards of any facility anywhere. I think Arcadia's ice is pretty decent and the old Zamboni travels at a regulated speed and does a fine job. You are correct about Polar's management decision to have soft ice (saving $$$), but the compressors, flooring etc. is all quality. It all comes down to management.


Last edited by kihekah19: 03-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.
kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:25 PM
  #32
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Jamaica
Posts: 1,256
vCash: 500
Yes, it was that darn bottom buckle - the one around the ankle was ok, but the one around the foot was horrible. It either was too tight or too lose, never just right. The arches of my feet were hurting every time I tried to go backwards - partially due to not having used those muscles much, but also due to the buckle digging in.

I have to agree with you about the friendliness. I know we used to have run-ins frequently with the figure skating people. The skaters were OK - but there was one coach who just HATED us, and anyone who wasn't on figure skates. She made it very clear that we really weren't welcome on the ice there. Personally, I think it's pretty crappy when you have a PUBLIC SESSION and there are 10-12 figure skaters using the ice as their personal playground for spins and jumps when there are plenty of people in the blue boots just doing their best to stay upright. If you want to jump and spin, go to a freestyle session where everyone on the ice is decent and knows how to avoid you. Don't do it at the public session with all of the poor folks who can't stop and are doing their best not to crash over their own feet.

It really irked me - there were about 4 of us who would skate laps and we were probably the MOST predictable of all of the skaters on the ice. We'd never jump, we didn't go too fast, we didn't turn suddenly or do anything unanticipated. We just did laps. Over and over, the same path, the same turning points every single time. And yet I still managed to narrowly avoid accidents more frequently than I should have had to.

Oh...and Polar has always had the bad ice at the south end of the south pole rink. It's been 10 years since I first started going there regularly, and they've never done a thing to fix it. It was actually worse yesterday than it was 5 years ago.

So, back to topic! The article was interesting, it makes it clear how much of an impact Tippett has had on a team with so many strikes against them. But I honestly don't think that skating at the Ice Den is a horrible fate. It's more convenient for the players, that's for sure.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:26 PM
  #33
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
That's true, but every metropolitan area has one or two areas where they tend to congregate. Short of sponsoring a housing development, I don't know what the Coyotes could do to get the players to live closer to the stadium.

I'll repeat: I think the team would have been wise to go "all in" when they chose to lease the arena in Glendale and if the players insisted on living in Scottsdale, they could drive.

Also, out here there are several places that millionaires congregate. I think that's a silly point and the situation is born of the original decision to utilize the Ice Den.


Last edited by kihekah19: 03-10-2012 at 01:58 PM.
kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
  #34
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
Yes, it was that darn bottom buckle - the one around the ankle was ok, but the one around the foot was horrible. It either was too tight or too lose, never just right. The arches of my feet were hurting every time I tried to go backwards - partially due to not having used those muscles much, but also due to the buckle digging in.

I have to agree with you about the friendliness. I know we used to have run-ins frequently with the figure skating people. The skaters were OK - but there was one coach who just HATED us, and anyone who wasn't on figure skates. She made it very clear that we really weren't welcome on the ice there. Personally, I think it's pretty crappy when you have a PUBLIC SESSION and there are 10-12 figure skaters using the ice as their personal playground for spins and jumps when there are plenty of people in the blue boots just doing their best to stay upright. If you want to jump and spin, go to a freestyle session where everyone on the ice is decent and knows how to avoid you. Don't do it at the public session with all of the poor folks who can't stop and are doing their best not to crash over their own feet.

It really irked me - there were about 4 of us who would skate laps and we were probably the MOST predictable of all of the skaters on the ice. We'd never jump, we didn't go too fast, we didn't turn suddenly or do anything unanticipated. We just did laps. Over and over, the same path, the same turning points every single time. And yet I still managed to narrowly avoid accidents more frequently than I should have had to.

Oh...and Polar has always had the bad ice at the south end of the south pole rink. It's been 10 years since I first started going there regularly, and they've never done a thing to fix it. It was actually worse yesterday than it was 5 years ago.

So, back to topic! The article was interesting, it makes it clear how much of an impact Tippett has had on a team with so many strikes against them. But I honestly don't think that skating at the Ice Den is a horrible fate. It's more convenient for the players, that's for sure.

Figure skaters are precious!

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  #35
MP
Registered User
 
MP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
Personally, I think it's pretty crappy when you have a PUBLIC SESSION and there are 10-12 figure skaters using the ice as their personal playground for spins and jumps when there are plenty of people in the blue boots just doing their best to stay upright.
That kind of attitude would drive me up a wall. Tell the coach to relax--it isn't like figure skating is a real sport anyway.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:45 PM
  #36
Mayo Taco Monday
Registered User
 
Mayo Taco Monday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 979
vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
That's true, but every metropolitan area has one or two areas where they tend to congregate. Short of sponsoring a housing development, I don't know what the Coyotes could do to get the players to live closer to the stadium.
Tell them about North Peoria or Litchfield Park?

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:39 AM
  #37
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Well that was quite the dramatic rendition of the Coyotes situation.

We all know Tippett deserves a lot of credit for what he has done, as does the rest of his staff, the players and upper management. I just think it's fair to point out that the "poor boy" description of the clubs current status is grossly overstated in the article and while it makes for great drama, it's simply an exaggeration.

This team really lacks for nothing as far as locker room amenities, video analysis, training & equipment management, first class travel for road games etc.. While the situation at the Ice Den makes for dramatic prose, it could be corrected (should they choose). They could demand better and get it, or start looking at other locations..... if they wanted to.

Coach strikes me as the type of guy that could really care less about some of the minor inconveniences that the author tried to report as substandard. In fact he may be just fine with the humbling reminder that this is indeed a game that men get paid well to play.
Exactly. This leads readers to believe the other 29 teams in the league have a significantly better talent situation than the Coyotes. When realistically it's 6-8 teams that have a talent/financial advantage and the remaining teams need to implement systems to combat it. Appreciate the acknowledgement of Tip and any PR is good PR at this point even if it is TMZ, er: ESPN.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.