HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#68 Kings @ Red Wings, 3/9/12, 4-3 Loss

Old
03-09-2012, 11:04 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
You can't fire the whole team, and it's not a coincidence that everyone is playing badly simultaneously.

Jack said the Kings kept trying the same thing, and were expecting a different result. My feeling is that's representative of how a lot of the players feel, and it shows on the ice. When you don't believe what you're doing is correct, you don't have energy for it. It's human nature.

This is the only explanation I can think of as to why the team is struggling so badly.
I just don't agree, that is giving the players just too much of a pass. Tippet is regarded as a brilliant coach.

His team has less talent than the Kings, they rewarded his brilliant coaching with Four stright losses to Start March down the stretch(two of them to Columbus).

After having an amazing Feb, I mean are people going to blame Tippet or his system for that ?(how about the three first round exits PHX has under him)

How about Babcock for how Detriot started this season in the crapper, that have anything to do with him as a coach or a system ?

I say it's both, the players not taking losing personal, they should. And Kings management not willing to say ok guys lets play a little more loose to make hockey fun again.

I think it's more the fans think this team is better than it is.

I bet that player's and management has tried everything in the book. The roster is just not good enough.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:05 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Sutter hire was just temporary, right? Have they given him a contract?
Two years is his contract.

Old
03-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Face Wash

I think Trent Reznor said it best...

I imagine DL saying this to the players...

"I'd rather die. than give you control. Bow down before the one you serve. you're going to get what you deserve."

No doubt that Dean Lombardi knows the name of the song, it's the story of his professional life ("Head Like A Hole").

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Sutter hire was just temporary, right? Have they given him a contract?
He signed a "multi-year contract"

Edit: Or as it has been written, 2 years. I wasn't sure if it's 2 or 3 years.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
****kkkk

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I just don't agree, that is giving the players just too much of a pass. Tippet is regarded as a brilliant coach.

His team has less talent than the Kings, they rewarded his brilliant coaching with Four stright losses to Start March down the stretch(two of them to Columbus).

After having an amazing Feb, I mean are people going to blame Tippet or his system for that ?(how about the three first round exits PHX has under him)

How about Babcock for how Detriot started this season in the crapper, that have anything to do with him as a coach or a system ?

I say it's both, the players not taking losing personal, they should. And Kings management not willing to say ok guys lets play a little more loose to make hockey fun again.
The rough patches with Phoenix and Detroit were just blips in the road (or so it seems). The players are still buying in overall, and the performance those coaches are getting correspond to the personnel they have on the ice.

Let me ask you this, do you think the Kings players are buying in? Doesn't sound like Jack was.

When Terry was fired, an anonymous Kings player told LeBrun: "It had to be done. We were dead." (Not an exact quote but something like that)

Good coaches get fired all the time. Sometimes a change is needed. IMO Sutter didn't bring any change.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
All valid points, but the way they're playing, it looks to me like the situation I mentioned is what's going on. Just because something "worked" before, doesn't mean it will work now. They look wore out on it.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That's kind of where we were going." - Jack Johnson (talking about the Kings after being traded)

How many other players in the Kings locker room do you think feel like that?
Maybe that is the case. If it is, then they have some serious chemistry and team issues.

They're paid to do a job. If they don't like it, then go do something else. If they don't like it, then don't sign any contracts to keep playing here. If Johnson was miserable, then why sign up to stay here? In the hope that the GM and coach would soon be gone? He wasted everyone's time, especially his own. Ask to be traded. Say the coach and GM suck, and I want out. Don't just underperform on the ice until something good happens for you. That's selfish. Maybe that's the problem. Each player is only thinking of how horrible their situation is.

Hate your bosses. Don't believe that they have any idea what they're talking about. Who doesn't do that? But, as long as you're going to continue to show up and collect a paycheck, do your job.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Wooty

Again, too many games for Quick, not enough for JB.

Playing a system that doesn't work well has to be frustrating but as a team you don't know what to do.

If you make every player a grinder or character guy, the true character guys can never show up. Even a system can remove grit and determination from you if you are limited to playing the system.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Kingurentai

I think we just went from a team players wanted to stay on, to a team people are going to want to be traded from (ie back to normal). I can see Kopi and Brown asking to leave if this continues another year (ironic because they're as much a cause of this as anyone).

This is just ridiculous

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:22 PM
SLang

LOL...I watched this game in about 5 minutes on my DVR...that's about as much of my time as this group of losers warranted.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
IMO Sutter didn't bring any change.
Why would anyone expect him to.. he was hired by the same idiot who hired Murray. The definition of insanity...Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time.

Last edited by Face Wash: 03-09-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old
03-09-2012, 11:29 PM
damacles1156

Tonights loss wasn't about the system anyway. The Kings are scoring plenty over the last 7 games. They showed up at least. They failed to do what they do best. Play some structered D.

Some of the best players on the team, were not the best on the ice eaither. Quick, Drew,Scuds,Richards. Had awful games tonight. Brown was pretty invisable as well.

Carter (imagine that) looked awesome.

You can talk about system coach ETC all you want. But the reason the Kings lost tonight was THREE of the best players on the team; Scuds/Drew/Richards (all failed to make a simple play, that lead to goals Twice).

That has nothing to do with system coaches ETC.

Last edited by damacles1156: 03-09-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old
03-09-2012, 11:43 PM
bobafettish*

the problem with sutter is, when he got hired he should have asked for his own assistants and demanded he run his own system. instead he just became a DL yes man.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:43 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Why would anyone expect him to.. he was hired by the same idiot who hired Murray. The definition of insanity...Doing the dame thing over and over and expecting a different result each time.
The Kings have been in the playoffs the last two years. They were a period away from going up 3-1 in the series against Vancouver. They gave San Jose a good series without Kopitar and half of Williams, where the Sharks won 3 games in OT. If Richardson scores on his golden chance in Game 1, and the players don't forget how to play in Game 3, then who knows how that series ends up. What have the coaches done that has been so detrimental to the players on this team, that they would now find so much fault in? One or two different outcomes to non-system related plays against Vancouver and San Jose, and the Kings may have come out on the winning end. If Frolov scores on the breakaway against Vancouver. If O'Donnell doesn't pinch against the Canucks in his own zone and just stays between the puck and Quick.

Things have hardly been perfect obviously. What exactly changed so much though, from the last two years where the Kings could've gone to the 2nd round both years if they catch a break or two?

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
The Kings have been in the playoffs the last two years. They were a period away from going up 3-1 in the series against Vancouver. They gave San Jose a good series without Kopitar and half of Williams, where the Sharks won 3 games in OT. If Richardson scores on his golden chance in Game 1, and the players don't forget how to play in Game 3, then who knows how that series ends up. What have the coaches done that has been so detrimental to the players on this team, that they would now find so much fault in? One or two different outcomes to non-system related plays against Vancouver and San Jose, and the Kings may have come out on the winning end. If Frolov scores on the breakaway against Vancouver. If O'Donnell doesn't pinch against the Canucks in his own zone and just stays between the puck and Quick.

Things have hardly been perfect obviously. What exactly changed so much though, from the last two years where the Kings could've gone to the 2nd round both years if they catch a break or two?
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda... Again, this is a results-oriented business.

You've named a lot of ifs... after a while, you have to look at the "Ifs" and say, there's no coincidence here. I mean, "If" the queen had b@lls, she'd be the king.

The teams just not that good. And as much as Lombardi wants to excuse the team for their "age", they're an experienced hockey team at this point. Veterans cost them a huge game tonite. Jack Johnson looks more than happy to be playing for the worst team in hockey as opposed to being on the Kings...

This is an institutional problem.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:01 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda... Again, this is a results-oriented business.

You've named a lot of ifs... after a while, you have to look at the "Ifs" and say, there's no coincidence here. I mean, "If" the queen had b@lls, she'd be the king.

The teams just not that good. And as much as Lombardi wants to excuse the team for their "age", they're an experienced hockey team at this point. Veterans cost them a huge game tonite. Jack Johnson looks more than happy to be playing for the worst team in hockey as opposed to being on the Kings...

This is an institutional problem.
You guys are taking way too much from Jack's comments. The guy is a Professional, he is not going to trash a new team he just came into.

Of course he is happy to be on a team that wanted him in a trade.

He is the guy in Columbus, why wouldn't he be happy ? Carter looks pretty damn Happy in LA.

And when is it the Players fault ? Ever ? Say a new regime comes in (Coaches and GM) and same issue's present itself(pop up) is it the players fault then ? When are the fan's going to hold this current core accountable ?

Old
03-10-2012, 12:07 AM
TwoMinutesWellWorthI*

Mike Richards is overrated. Can't believe some people actually think he'd be a good captain for this team. Who stepped up their game when this team needed it most, Mike Richards or Dustin Brown?

Suck it, Brown haters.

TwoMinutesWellWorthI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

**** Drew Doughty. That's all I got to say.

Lose your man more k? Helm made you look like a lazy ****. Fillpula made you look like a lazy ****. Zetterberg made you look like a lazy ****.

So I guess that's pretty much what you are. Thanks for holding out this summer *******.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:11 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieFleaSlash View Post
Mike Richards is overrated. Can't believe some people actually think he'd be a good captain for this team. Who stepped up their game when this team needed it most, Mike Richards or Dustin Brown?

Suck it, Brown haters.
nobody hates brown, except maybe as captain. management keeps peddling him off as a 1st liner which he is not.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:16 AM
TwoMinutesWellWorthI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
nobody hates brown, except maybe as captain. management keeps peddling him off as a 1st liner which he is not.
Of course he's not a 1st liner. Everyone on this team is either a 3rd line grinder or a 4th line pylon.

TwoMinutesWellWorthI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:26 AM
drbob

Good news and bad news:

First, the bad news:

1) Kings choke job today might have sealed their fate as they are likely to miss the PO's now, teams above them either have games in hand or just more points and more wins for the tiebreaker,
2) Doughty is way overpaid and his holdout affected his game this year, probably was out of shape, timing and rhythm was awful for most of the season after a mediocre and disappointing season last year, so now we're stuck with a $7M/yr Dman who plays more like one for $3-4M, never thought he was worth anywhere near $7M,
3) Richards either has an injury or lingering affects of the concussion, or he has been partying way too much cuz his play has been crap of late,
4) Kopi has not been aggressive enuf, and been a major disappointment for his big salary.

Good news:

1) there is always next year to have hope for,
2) Stoll has shown some toughness lately,
3) Gagne will be back next year, but how long will he stay healthy?
4) Brown didn't get traded, thank goodness!
5) Voynov looks like the real deal
6) Carter looks like he will do well for us
7) Dwight King improving
8) Quick is xlnt but we need to get him resigned as soon as it is permitted, and Bernier is xlnt trade material for the Left Wing we need next year.

Kings fan for life...

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
First, the bad news:

1) Kings choke job today might have sealed their fate as they are likely to miss the PO's now, teams above them either have games in hand or just more points and more wins for the tiebreaker,
2) Doughty is way overpaid and his holdout affected his game this year, probably was out of shape, timing and rhythm was awful for most of the season after a mediocre and disappointing season last year, so now we're stuck with a $7M/yr Dman who plays more like one for $3-4M, never thought he was worth anywhere near $7M,
3) Richards either has an injury or lingering affects of the concussion, or he has been partying way too much cuz his play has been crap of late,
4) Kopi has not been aggressive enuf, and been a major disappointment for his big salary.

Good news:

7) Dwight King improving
8) Quick is xlnt but we need to get him resigned as soon as it is permitted, and Bernier is xlnt trade material for the Left Wing we need next year.

Kings fan for life...
Dr Bob, are you a dentist?

(I might know you)

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
First, the bad news:

Good news:

7) Dwight King improving

Kings fan for life...
I agree with all but two things: Kopitar not being aggressive enough, I think he is playing well lately and has always been our best center, I think he is worth his salary; and Stoll trying to be tough as a positive. Stoll has no ****ing clue what he is doing out there or what his role is. He is trying desperately to adapt because he wants to earn a contract in LA to stay in his dream house and such, but it is backfiring. Every time Stoll tries to be a grinder and play more physical, he gets it wrong and goes overboard which results in penalties. Every single time. Remember, he was suspended last playoffs for boarding, and he has made similar hits throughout this season a long the boards and leaving his feet. He is just trying to be something he is not and needs to be pulled back, even though he is likely playing that way because we told him to, a long standing problem of ours.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:30 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I only caught the 3rd period, but the game was the Kings to win, then an incredibly stupid play by Richards followed by an incredibly stupid play by Doughty.

You can't make mistakes like that and win games in the NHL. The players other than Quick have lacked mental toughness this entire season. You can go up and down the roster and there isn't one of them that hasn't disappeared for a long stretch of games during some point in the season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:39 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Doughty has definitely not been himself since winning the gold medal. I don't know whether it's cockiness, being big-headed, he's just not the same.

Richards has been a huge disappointment since his injury man. I know the coaches keep talking about the "other stuff" he brings to the table. Ya, he's a good penalty killer and leader and whatever, but a leader is supposed to lead by example. If he had scored that goal at the end, when he was all alone in the front, we would be in a playoff position right now
Or is this him? I have heard people say he prepared hard for his junior season before the draft. It appears he prepared hard before the season when the Olympics occurred. Where has he been the rest of the time?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote