HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Rampage asks for release

Old
03-09-2012, 10:16 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 500
Rampage asks for release

Quote:
Quinton Jackson ‏ @Rampage4real
Well I'm hoping the @ufc just let me go so I can do my thang,they took my love of fighting after the Forest fight! #bloodtypeBpositive
Sad to see but not totally shocked. If you read some of his other recent tweets, he talks about boxing and I know he talked about it in the past. Gotta guess he's gunna try that or go to Hollywood and make more movies.

Thought this deserves its own thread considering how big Rampage is/was.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:40 AM
DeathFromAbove

Rampage would get ragdolled by any mid-level boxer, he's way too passive and his footwork sucks.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 50
Somehow I'm both really surprised and not.

More than any other sport, I feel like fighters live and die in their own minds, and mental / psychological factors are HUGE to the success of their careers. Hollywood is calling, and while I'm not using any stupid terms like "selling out" and "going Hollywood," a couple of even mediocre action films will put more cash in the bank than another decade of combat. Jackson is still only 33, but, like Big Nog and Wanderlei, his 33 ain't the same as everyone else's 33. 42 pro fights is a lot, 28 in Pride / UFC, and it takes a rare specimen to continue doing what he does that high a level for as long as he has. He won the Pride belt, he's won the UFC belt ... what else does he have to prove? Despite what you hear Tito saying in every Countdown, "getting the belt back" is rarely as big a motivation as getting it for the first time. The return to Japan was probably very emotional, and for it to go as poorly as it did hurts in two ways -- in his heart and in Joe Silva's rankings. Going back to training camp for another fight at the MGM Grand can't possibly be as exciting. Factor in that he's now well down the standings -- behind Rashad, Bader, Gustafson and maybe Thiago Silva -- and he's probably 3 wins away from being back on the #1 contender shortlist.

Heartache?
A long road back to the title?
A title you've already won?
A champ you've already lost to?
A better-paying, easier job sitting there?

If he sticks around, sweet ... put him in any co-main event and I'm pretty satisfied.
If he's done, sweet ... been an awesome run and I'll be there for the A-Team sequel.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
m9

Eh, whatever. I'll believe it when I see it. Rampage likes money, and he can make more of it in the UFC than anywhere else. He's partying it up pretty hard from what I hear in the Phillipines so once he gets back to "real life" in a few weeks we'll see what happens.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:36 PM
DeathFromAbove

It doesn't help that Rampage surrounds himself with yes men. He needs a hard ass to whip him into shape.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Captain_Cunney

Rampage is bi-polar, I'm taking the same approach as m9, I will believe it when I see it.

I'm still a huge fan even though he is a shell of his former self.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
m9

Rampage's next 5 years will be interesting. I hope he's done well enough with his money so that when the time comes he can go out with some grace.

If not, I am not looking forward to a 240lb Rampage fighting Tim Sylvia and Andre Arlovski on some random card somewhere. Rampage/Liddell 2 was my first live UFC and he's been one of my favorites for a long time.

It will get straightened out. At the very least he owes the UFC and Dana White more than this after how they stuck beside his road rage incident.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:38 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
He is done as a fighter imo.

So this is the best thing for him.

No sense getting your brains beaten in if your heart isnt in it.

His heart hasnt been in it for a long time now.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
rj

I don't know how he thinks he'd make money in boxing unless he wants to do what James Toney did and job himself out to the other sport to a higher-level fighter. It's not like guys that even main event ESPN Friday Night Fights approach what he makes in UFC. And he'd be the most one-dimensional boxer ever because you see in MMA fights now all he does is headhunt (poorly I might add).

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Captain_Cunney

I don't think he'll be going to boxing, I think we're more likely to see him go to Bellator or ONE FC (he's big in Asia) and just end his career that way. He knows he isn't going to win the UFC title again, he probably just wants to be involved in entertaining fights. He took a pretty big shot at Joe Silva and matching him up with rastlers' who want to hump him....

Say what you will about his deteriorating skills but he's still a draw and could do wonders for an organization like Bellator, especially on their current MTV setup.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Say what you will about his deteriorating skills but he's still a draw and could do wonders for an organization like Bellator, especially on their current MTV setup.
I think Rampage is out of Bellators price range. They've gotten this far as a promotion by avoiding big names.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Peter Griffin

Rampage is delusional.

"In my opinion, I think they’re trying to make me lose my fanbase. Because they don’t want me to be bigger than the UFC, because the movie I did was bigger than the UFC…I don’t want to be part of the UFC. If Dana doesn’t want me to be bigger than the UFC, then let me go.”

Yes Rampage, the A-Team was a resounding success and completely trumps the UFC....

http://www.cagepotato.com/quinton-ja...to-be-slapped/

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go off the deep end again in a matter of weeks.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I think Rampage is out of Bellators price range. They've gotten this far as a promotion by avoiding big names.
In the past those "big names" were guys like Paul Daley and Nate Marquardt and the only reason they were available was because the UFC got rid of them for doing something stupid.

You're probably right about Rampage being out of their price range but he could definitely help them if they can get him on a decent deal.

Apparently they're going to have exclusive news on UFC Tonight about Rampage's future. He might be getting cut.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:44 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Apparently they're going to have exclusive news on UFC Tonight about Rampage's future. He might be getting cut.
That would be a sad ending to a great career. Even though Rampage says he lost his motivation after the Forrest fight, I really think it was the Jones fight that did it. He came into that fight in the best shape of his life after a great training camp and still couldn't get the job done. That's gotta be crushing as an aging fighter.

Old
03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I guess he isn't getting cut.....

Quote:
"He has one more fight on his contract and our position is that he's contractually obligated to take a fight and fulfill his obligation, just as he'd expect us to fulfill our obligation," Fertitta told Cagewriter. "He is, to some extent, still a draw. An interesting fight we'd like to make, one we've talked about, would be him and Shogun. I think that would be an interesting fight. They're both coming off a loss, they have a history and they have both expressed interest in the fight in the past. That would round out things in an interesting way."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-ca...223818298.html

Rampage vs Shogun?

They have both said they want this fight so hopefully it happens.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:06 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Umm.... why? I bet Rampage comes in at like 240, fat, and just taps right when he steps in. He clearly has zero to prove and CONSTANTLY says he doesn't care about losing and that he only wants to put on good fights. But why would he care about a good fight if he doesn't want to be there nor will he be after the fight? If I can bet money on Shogun in that, I'm betting a ton.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Umm.... why? I bet Rampage comes in at like 240, fat, and just taps right when he steps in. He clearly has zero to prove and CONSTANTLY says he doesn't care about losing and that he only wants to put on good fights. But why would he care about a good fight if he doesn't want to be there nor will he be after the fight? If I can bet money on Shogun in that, I'm betting a ton.
Rampage may not have any desire to fight under the UFC banner anymore, or even in MMA in general, but he's still got pride and his loss to Shogun is one I'm sure he'd like to get back before his career is over. At least as far as he's concerned Shogun isn't likely to take him down and "hump him".

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:30 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Rampage may not have any desire to fight under the UFC banner anymore, or even in MMA in general, but he's still got pride and his loss to Shogun is one I'm sure he'd like to get back before his career is over. At least as far as he's concerned Shogun isn't likely to take him down and "hump him".
I watched a few interviews as of late from Rampage that happened just before UFC Japan and he basically kept saying that losses didn't bother him at all and that all he cares about is non boring fights. I honestly don't think he will have any motivation because what does this fight matter if he doesn't care about losses? Jackson makes a flat show salary of $250K and has no win bonus meaning a win doesn't give him that nice bonus and while the UFC might give him one we don't know about, who knows how much that would really be for. And plus that isn't a guarantee. I don't know. I just find it very hard for me to see how a guy who has had motivation issues in the past will have any for this fight.

Old
03-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I don't know, they've shown the ability to pay for the right fighter, I think that statement had more to do with them scooping up the middle tier fighters who get cut from the UFC, they didn't want to be the UFC reject league. Rampage knows his value is down, if he wants to keep fighting MMA he'll get something done.

Bellator is cautious with their expenses but their revenues have grown significantly since inception and already have Aoki, Alvarez and Lombard on the roster, all guys who clearly make decent coin. Rampage is a draw and would do wonders for their ratings, especially seeing how their 205 roster sucks the wang.

I'd like to see Rampage vs. Babalu for the Bellator 205 title, I think people would definitely tune in for that.

Quote:
Umm.... why? I bet Rampage comes in at like 240, fat, and just taps right when he steps in.

Old
03-15-2012, 09:48 AM
MessierII

Rampage vs Waderlei Silva 4?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:18 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Rampage vs Waderlei Silva 4?
Wandy is coaching TUF Brazil vs Vitor Belfort so those two should presumably fight next. And also I'm not sure what the hold up is but the UFC wants Rampage vs Shogun and Rampage wants that fight too so as long as they can get Shogun on board, that'll be what's next for him.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:20 AM
211*

finally his overrated ass is leaving he was so dam overrated through out his career it made me sick

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:46 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
finally his overrated ass is leaving he was so dam overrated through out his career it made me sick

Wins over Liddell (twice), Vovchanchyn, Randleman, Pyle, Bustamante, Arona, Lindland, Wanderlei and Machida all suggest he might actually have a little something. Yes, it's true, the Japanese / Pride fans often gravitated towards style more so than substance, but he was and is a bad MF'er. Are there holes in his game? No doubt ... you don't fight everybody there is to fight over the course of 10 years without having those exposed. But "so damn overrated?" Hmmm ....

Old
03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post

Wins over Liddell (twice), Vovchanchyn, Randleman, Pyle, Bustamante, Arona, Lindland, Wanderlei and Machida all suggest he might actually have a little something. Yes, it's true, the Japanese / Pride fans often gravitated towards style more so than substance, but he was and is a bad MF'er. Are there holes in his game? No doubt ... you don't fight everybody there is to fight over the course of 10 years without having those exposed. But "so damn overrated?" Hmmm ....
he only beat a past his prime silva. even though he beat lidell twice id still say lidell had the better career.

whenever he faces someone who knows that all rampage can do is strike hes easily outsmarted. and i mean easily. plus against top talent hes really struggled. couldnt beat prime shogun or prime silva. he couldnt even beat evans after talking all that ****. and he definitely didnt beat machida in that fight.

id say most of those fighters have had better careers then rampage

211* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:04 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
he only beat a past his prime silva ... even though he beat lidell twice id still say lidell had the better career ... couldnt beat prime shogun ... couldn't beat a prime silva ... he couldnt even beat evans after talking all that **** ... and he definitely [won a close decision over machida he may or may not have deserved.]
Wanderlei ... Iceman ... Shogun ... Rashad ... Machida ... you are talking about the top 1% of the top 1% of the baddest dudes on the planet.

My Vovchanchyn, Randleman, Pyle, Bustamante, Arona, Lindland list is the top 5% of the top 1% of the baddest dudes on the planet.

What you're criticizing Rampage for is akin to criticizing a guy who ran in 20 Olympic sprints and only won 2 golds and 5 bronzes.