HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh's defensemen this offseason

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
tell me why

We need cap space to sign Sid + Staal, later Geno + Letang, and even later Fleury. Despres is probably ready to take over.
Because Martin is nowhere near an albatross. There's no way there wouldn't be a market for him.

Old
03-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Paul Martin is the Scott Gomez of defensemen (e5)

Old
03-10-2012, 10:20 AM
mpp9

Hey HF, what 25+ minute D-men are available in the foreseeable future? None? Soooo you're telling me in a market that forced Grabo's GM to pay him 1st line center money, that there might be a team willing to take on a big minute PMD who's overpaid by 500k-mil in your eyes?

Ridiculous.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
No GM will trade for Martin (5mil until 2015) unless Pens decide to receive an equally bad contract.
Kaberle?

Old
03-10-2012, 10:35 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Because Martin is nowhere near an albatross. There's no way there wouldn't be a market for him.
That is why I said if no one trades for him. Someone will surely trade for him, but if he blocks every trade with his NMC, then we will amnesty him.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:37 AM
seabs926

Quote:
That is why I said if no one trades for him. Someone will surely trade for him, but if he blocks every trade with his NMC, then we will amnesty him.
He doesn't have a full NTC, so Shero wouldn't even be negotiating with the teams on his list. Not sure if his list is 8, 10, or 12 teams long.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
No, we won't. We'll keep him, because you don't amnesty a player like Martin. You move other, smaller pieces to accommodate him, ie TK/Niskanen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Tell us how you REALLY feel.
The Martin valuation on HF of late is the most absurd thing I've ever seen on this site. One sub-par half-season from a guy who's played top-pairing calibre hockey every year since the lockout is enough to make him amnesty-worthy? Never mind that this same standard apparently doesn't apply to forwards around the league, or that a player like Martin being a negative value contract ignores all precedent.

People are confusing potential expendability due to a deep blueline with trying to unload a player at all costs.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Flat Stanley

Didn't Paul Martin take a paycut to come to Pittsburgh?

There will be a market for Paul Martin, people think he's the worst D man in the league, he's a top 4 PMD whose playing better hockey after the D pairings were switched in Pittsburgh.

If a guy like Kyle Quincey can land a 1st, I expect Martin to atleast bring in the same return, if not then a 2nd and a prospect.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I remember when; as soon as early this season, that Martin's contract was considered good.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
People are confusing potential expendability due to a deep blueline with trying to unload a player at all costs.
This, this, a million times this.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-10-2012, 11:43 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Yup, Isles are buyers for hiigh cap hit long term deals of good players like Martin.
Only question is would Martin reject as he turned down Snow in free agency already to take lesser money from the Pens.
Martin is a good #4 defenseman who is a better puck mover/distributer than a D-zone expert, but he would be a big upgrade to Isles and could play on the second pairing freeing Hamonic to play alongside a recovering Streit.
My choice of Martin or Michalic would be Michalec for his defenseive play and more physical performance.
I can't see Martin suddenly changing his mind and wanting to play for the NYI ,waiving his NTC.

Two other teams to keep an eye on this summer are Phoenix and SJ.
Both are very deep defensively.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I remember when; as soon as early this season, that Martin's contract was considered good.
Yeah...I remember when all the experts put the Pens team D as one of the best in the league due to bringing in Martin and Z. I still think that assessment is true!

Most people mistakenly think that bigger money contracts should mean a d-man that scores 20 goals and gets 45 assists. Though Martin had a rough go early in the year, the last few weeks have been much better. Also, most GM's are going to judge his value based on his career to this point, not one off year. It's not like he's 38 and on the decline yet.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:34 PM
rockinghockey

Edm could use a top dman that is for sure. How is Nisk in moving the puck, shot from the point and defensively. I like the idea that he is only 25 and is a right hand shot. Is he a legit top 3 dman or top 4 dman.

What would it take from EDM to get him?

Old
03-10-2012, 02:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think a lot of teams would love their #6 to be either Bort, Lovejoy, Strait, etc. These guys are SOLID #5/#6 NHL defenders. Great depth players, too. It's just fully loaded on our blue line right now.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:13 PM
FanHabtic

I think Martin is tradeable but it would require a bad contract coming back in return. (similar to Spacek for Kaberle). I don't see anyone giving up value for an overpaid player.

Old
03-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Karnage420

if people really think martin is that bad of a contract thats totally cool, we'll keep him.

hes been much much better since he was removed from the real problem (michalek).

we'll keep them both, just never play them together again.

lets move some depth players.
but wait. HFboards knows nothing about them! they must be scrubs worth 7th at most.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-10-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old
03-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Martin and Lovejoy will be gone and replaced bu Despres and Bort.

People saying that Martin is untradeable have no idea what they're talking about.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:16 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Your average hfboards poster...

2 months of bad play> Several years of good play

Every time a player struggles it's dump him for capspace. Especially on the Pens board where there is a strange obsession with European wingers despite being one of the best offensive teams in the league. He's actually 2nd on the team in D-man points & only Letang plays more than him.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Jaded-Fan

Just posted this as obviously some moves will have to be made, and of very high quality parts. Potentially a top four defenseman if the price is right, if not a very solid 5/6 guy. The Pens will not give away an asset, but given the value of those recently, especially quality PMD, thought there would be some strong interest.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Is Martin available? It seems like most posters agree that he is overpaid by about .5-1 million and that Pit will soon have more defensemen than they have space for.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
Pens will have to amnesty Martin.
LOL. You haven't seen him in the past 10 games or so. He's back to old Paul Martin again. Bylsma must have dug up in his ass. We won't have to amnesty him.

If Martin keeps playing the way he has been, prior to getting sick, there will be a decent market for him. He's really turned his game around.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Is Martin available? It seems like most posters agree that he is overpaid by about .5-1 million and that Pit will soon have more defensemen than they have space for.
I think people feel he'll be available because of the increase in Neal's contract and with Morrow/Despres banging on the door to play. Despres was really awesome to watch in last night's game.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Paul Martin is the Scott Gomez of defensemen (e5)

Not even close.

Old
03-10-2012, 05:55 PM
NeilYoung

Martin may be overpaid by a bit but he definitely still has value

Old
03-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I think Martin is tradeable but it would require a bad contract coming back in return. (similar to Spacek for Kaberle). I don't see anyone giving up value for an overpaid player.
All you have to do is look at the ridiculous money that was handed out to slightly above avg. blueliners this past Summer to know that Martin has pretty significant value.

He had only played 22 games before he became an UFA and he was one of the hottest commodities on the FA market, despite the injury he had. His agent said on a few occasions he took less to come to the Pens and he had several offers for more money.

So at least several other teams were willing to give him more money than he is making now.

It is quite rare a top 4 blueliner becomes available for trade and you can be sure Shero will get back fair value for Martin. Gms arent going to let 2 months of avg. play discount the player he has been for the last 7 seasons.

Closed Thread