HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St.Louis Blues vs Columbus Blue Jackets, 7pm (FSMW, KMOX)

Old
03-10-2012, 12:58 AM
PogoElGato

vCash: 500
St.Louis Blues vs Columbus Blue Jackets, 7pm (FSMW, KMOX)

BLUES (43-18-7) vs BLUE JACKETS (22-38-7)

VS

At the Scottrade Center, St.Louis, Missouri

Blues (28-4-4) at Home
Jackets (9-20-4) on the Road

Blues (7-8-2) vs the Central
Jackets (3-13-2) vs the Central

Western Conference Standings

Team Stats and Previous Meetings This Season

Power Play
Blues ---- 17.0% (15th)
Jackets -- 16.2% (22nd)

Penalty Kill
Blues ---- 83.7% (9th)
Jackets -- 76.6% (30th)

Goals For per game
Blues ---- 2.54 (20th)
Jackets -- 2.33 (27th)

Goals Against per game
Blues ---- 1.87 (1st)
Jackets -- 3.16 (29th)

5-on-5 For/Against Ratio
Blues ---- 1.42 (2nd)
Jackets -- 0.75 (29th)

Team Scoring Stats

BLUES

BLUE JACKETS

Blues attempt to deny Jackets a fifth straight win
Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

Last 10: Columbus 5-4-1; St. Louis 7-3-0

Season series: The Blues won the first two meetings of the season, but the Blue Jackets pulled out a 2-1 victory at home on Feb. 14. St. Louis won at Columbus, 2-1, on Nov. 27 and then at home on Dec. 18 by a 6-4 score.

Big Story: This is the front-end of a traditional home-and-home between the Central Division rivals. They also play Sunday in Columbus. Entering Friday the Blues were the Presidents' Trophy leaders with 93 points, one more than the Canucks. The Rangers, who have 91 points, were set to play Friday in Chicago.

Team Scope:

Blue Jackets: They will not go quietly, and they're actually putting their potential No. 1 draft pick in jeopardy with their four-game winning streak. The Blue Jackets are seven points back of the Edmonton Oilers and each have 15 games to play.

But the Blue Jackets are dealing with some injury issues, as Fedor Tyutin could be gone for the rest of the season with a broken right hand and Derek MacKenzie missed Thursday's game with concussion-like symptoms. It didn't stop them from winning again, this time over Los Angeles by a 3-1 score.

Jack Johnson scored against his former team, his second goal in as many games, giving him 4 points in the last three games. He was also plus-2 and played more than 27 minutes for the second straight game.

"He's what you want in the organization," interim coach Todd Richards said in the Columbus Dispatch. "You want a guy that wants to be here. When you're a last-place team and you trade for a guy, sometimes you don't know what to expect. But here's a guy that comes in and says I want to be part of it, I want the challenge. That's what we need."

Blues: They've won three straight and haven't given up more than a goal in any of them. In fact, the last time the Blues gave up more than two goals in a game was on Feb. 22, when Boston beat St. Louis, 4-2, at Scottrade Center.

The latest defensive gem came against Anaheim on Thursday. Jaroslav Halak made 24 saves and David Backes scored twice to put the Blues in front in the Presidents' Trophy race.

Halak has now won seven straight decisions, boasting a 1.40 goals-against average and .943 save percentage during the span. Halak's last loss was actually that 2-1 decision to Columbus on Feb. 14.

"I'm just trying to have fun out there and keep the guys in the game," Halak said after Thursday's win. "It's always great to win a few games in a row. It's a team effort. I wouldn't be able to do it without the guys."

Who's Hot: Blue Jackets center Derrick Brassard is on a five-game point-scoring streak. He has a goal and 5 assists during the streak.

Injury Report: The Blue Jackets are without Tyutin (broken hand) and likely MacKenzie (concussion-like symptoms). Steve Mason suffered a cut on his blocker hand midway through the second period Thursday, but returned to the bench and said he could have played if necessary. For the Blues, Matt D'Agostini, Alex Steen and Kris Russell all have concussions. Jamie Langenbrunner is still out with a foot injury and Kent Huskins has missed the last two games with a bruised hand.

Stat Pack: The last time the Blues were leading in the Presidents' Trophy race this late in the season was exactly 12 years ago. The Blues have killed off 35 straight power plays. They haven't allowed a power-play goal in the last 12 games. St. Louis is now 35-0-0 when scoring at least three goals.

Puck Drop: The Blues have a League-best 60 points at home (28-4-4). They are 20-1-3 in their last 24 home games.

"We're not the most talented team in the National Hockey League," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. "We just find ways to win. That's what this team is about."

Probable Starting Goaltenders

BLUES

Brian Elliott
6'3", 204 lbs, Age 26
From Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
2003 Ottawa 9th Round (291st Overall)

W-L: 20-8-2
GAA: 1.63 (1st)
Sv%: .937 (1st)
Shutouts: 6 (3rd)

In four career starts against Columbus, Elliott is 3-0-1 with a 2.45 GAA and .912 Sv%

In 16 home starts this season, Elliott is 12-2-2 with a 1.48 GAA and .939 Sv% with 5 shutouts

BLUE JACKETS

Curtis Sanford
5'11", 187 lbs, Age 32
From Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Undrafted; Signed as Free Agent St.Louis in 2000

W-L: 10-15-4
GAA: 2.61 (26th)
Sv%: .912 (26th)
Shutouts: 1 (35th)

In one career start against the Blues, Sanford is 0-1-0 with a 2.03 GAA and a .931 Sv%

In 16 road starts this season, Sanford is 5-9-3 with a 2.71 GAA and a .909 Sv% with 1 shutout

Rick Nash gets "Oshied"...

And again...

LET'S GO BLUES!!

Last edited by PogoElGato: 03-10-2012 at 01:36 AM.
PogoElGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:14 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Let's keep the PP success rolling and jump all over the Jackets' dead last PK. Ironically the last goal the Blues' PK surrendered was that freak goal with 0.1 secs left in the first period against Columbus.

I'd be shocked if that deeply undermanned Red Wings team goes into Nashville and wins, so the Blues can quite potentially get to a 4.5 point lead (.5 to represent owning the tiebreaker) with each team having 13 games left.

Very much like the Blues getting the first game at home and then an immediate back to back game against the same team away. These games are always chippy. I can imagine almost no outcome of Saturday's game that wouldn't have the Blues coming out ready to play the next night.

Jackets have been playing better of late but if the Blues remain disciplined and take advantage of their much improved special teams, I think a home win in front of a Saturday crowd pumped to cheer the team with the best record in the NHL is likely. Hard to imagine a letdown in that situation.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:38 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

cool, an early one! (and a good one aswell!)

Important game, important game-day too. with their recent success the Jackets won`t be easy to beat, but we just have to if we wanna stay where we are. and hopefully someone other falls today

LET`S GO BLUES!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:04 AM
SirPaste

Honk honk honk

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:49 AM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Gotta maintain some distance between ourselves and Detroit. The Pacific race is so wild right now, hard to predict who we'd draw with the #1/2 seed, but as long as it allows us to dodge Nashville/Detroit in the first round I'd feel really good about our chances (although Preds-Blues would be an incredibly exciting series).

Wonder how healthy the Wings will be come playoff time.

Last edited by kittensmasher: 03-10-2012 at 09:54 AM.
kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Honk honk honk
Lets Go blues!

My woman makes fun of me/laughs, because whenever I hear a sound like that I say "Lets go Blues!".

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:54 AM
GOBLUES4257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Lets Go blues!

My woman makes fun of me/laughs, because whenever I hear a sound like that I say "Lets go Blues!".
lol whenever my stove is done it sounds just like that, and can't help but say it.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBLUES4257 View Post
lol whenever my stove is done it sounds just like that, and can't help but say it.
Sometimes I do it for kicks, but most of the time its instinctive. When my car locks, it plays a similar tune.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:21 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

All things considered, a VERY winnable game.

No reason not to come out with a W here.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
GOBLUES4257

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post

That's what I thought about last game against them.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:05 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Expected CBJ lines

Umberger - Brassard - Nash
Prospal - Letestu - Atkinson
Gilles - Boyce - Russell? (Dorsett's usual spot)
Byers (Russell?) - Johansen - Mayorov

J Johnson - Wisniewski
Moore / Lebda / A Johnson - Nikitin
the other two who didn't end up with Nikitin - those pairs got shuffled during the game on Thursday, started out as Moore - Nikitin but didn't stay that way.

Sanford in net
York backing up

Mason's cut was due to Moore getting shoved into the net and clipping Mason's blocker hand. Mason said the cut was "to the bone" on his pinky and it took 15 stitches to close.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:09 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post

The CBJ have success when the pressure is off. It is most definitely off at the moment. The arrival of J Johnson has made a big difference too. There is actually a defenseman on the team with power and stability who isn't afraid to hit people. His enthusiasm appears to be contagious.

The CBJ always seem to get up for games versus the Blues anyway and have fully embraced their "spoiler" role.

(I wouldn't mind a Blues win however, they need to continue in the "Fail for Nail" campaign. The last thing we need is some stupid win streak, along with an Edmonton losing streak, to finish the season.)

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Oshie scores 10 points tonight, 6 goals 4 assists but somehow has a -5 rating.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

What happened to the home and homes? this is like our only one all year, seems like we used to have them against every team in our division at least once a season

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Stillflexin*

Haha funny tweet from Perron this evening.

@bulish21 (Bergy haha) just because there are good looking women in Sweden, doesn't mean you have to dress like them

Anyways, hoping for a strong home game from the boys tonight. Unfortunately I won't be there tonight. Lets go Blues!

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:39 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyjumpinblues View Post
What happened to the home and homes? this is like our only one all year, seems like we used to have them against every team in our division at least once a season
In a possible new scheduling world where you play your conference mates eight times and every other team in the league once home and away, home-and-homes could be a featured aspect of the new league that fans would love. Sure, maybe the Blues wouldn't play Colorado more than twice now, but wouldn't an annual home-and-home be fun?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Broshie74

Calling a 5-0 game and a Petro Hatty

Broshie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:33 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Let's hope for a good 60 minute effort tonight...It's time to make a run for number one!

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Bob Sacamanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Let's hope for a good 60 minute effort tonight...It's time to make a run for number one!
A run? We're there!

Bob Sacamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:10 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sacamanu View Post
A run? We're there!
Sort of...I'd like to see a 6 point lead in the coming week.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broshie74 View Post
Calling a 5-0 game and a Petro Hatty
The Pie only help other player get a hattrick

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Chippewa

Not a whole lot to say about this game. Columbus playing significantly better as of late, but we're at home. Just win baby!

Chippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:53 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

I think after the last clunker when we played CBJ the blues will be ready for this one

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Alklha

Columbus are playing better, but these are must win games if we are wanting to win the Division/Conference. I'll say we win 6-2 tonight.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I would've loved a 7:30 start tonight.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote