HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St.Louis Blues vs Columbus Blue Jackets, 7pm (FSMW, KMOX)

Old
03-10-2012, 07:35 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
It's because McDonald took so long to recover from his concussion.
Well yeah, but even after the first few games, they didn't move like they were. I know McDonald's impact is huge, but 1 player shouldn't affect the simple lack of movement, but I guess he does.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:37 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

thank god Bergy is back

Old
03-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
They've got to score on this PP.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:40 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
He had to poop...Terrible discipline by Columbus.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Gullibull

I bet Jack Johnson's on his way to becoming a fan favorite.

Gullibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullibull View Post
I bet Jack Johnson's on his way to becoming a fan favorite.
Well, given that Jeff Carter had zero passion, and Jack Johnson gives it his all every night and acts like the Stanley Cup is online, that alone gets Columbus fans to rally behind him.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:50 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Well, given that Jeff Carter had zero passion, and Jack Johnson gives it his all every night and acts like the Stanley Cup is online, that alone gets Columbus fans to rally behind him.
I could see him possibly getting the "C" if Nash gets moved.

Old
03-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Blues0307

Sloppy 1st period, whole team is out of sync. And yet we didn't give up a shot in the last 9 minutes...

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I could see him possibly getting the "C" if Nash gets moved.
The verdict on Nash is still out there. I'm in the camp that Nash doesn't need to be moved and the team can still build around him, especially because we are getting someone we've desperately needed in Johnson, and because our high draft pick will hopefully get us another franchise player. Others still feel Nash can go and give us a great return.

But at minimum, I would be stunned if there isn't at least an A for Johnson next season.

Old
03-10-2012, 07:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
The verdict on Nash is still out there. I'm in the camp that Nash doesn't need to be moved and the team can still build around him, especially because we are getting someone we've desperately needed in Johnson, and because our high draft pick will hopefully get us another franchise player. Others still feel Nash can go and give us a great return.

But at minimum, I would be stunned if there isn't at least an A for Johnson next season.
I think you guys almost have to cash in on Nash while you can. You guys just have too many holes to fill. If you get another 1st, top prospect, a young player, and maybe more, it would be a lot better in the long-term than keeping Nash.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Fred Murtz

Hey ref!! WTH?

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
I think you guys almost have to cash in on Nash while you can. You guys just have too many holes to fill. If you get another 1st, top prospect, a young player, and maybe more, it would be a lot better in the long-term than keeping Nash.
Speaking of Johnson, nice interview by Panger. Wish FS Ohio did that more for other teams.

Anyway... the tricky part with Nash is this: He is THE FACE of the franchise. It's not like he's terrible -- if that were the case, teams wouldn't have been salivating at the mere mention of him being on the market last month. It's just who is around him? Our two GMs and president have failed us in building a team to surround him.

To get rid of Nash, there better be a heck of a haul and a way to promote the franchise going forward. A guy like JMFJ will help that, but I still think even without trading Nash, the team doesn't have to go nuclear. Trades and tooling still have to be made -- we're not a head coach away from dominating like you guys were this season -- but the nuclear option isn't needed.

Of course, we also have to face the fact that we've been in one of the toughest divisions in the past few years, with Detroit being a perennial contender and Chicago also winning it all recently. Nashville is always in the mix, and you guys have surged back to the top.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:04 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Well yeah, but even after the first few games, they didn't move like they were. I know McDonald's impact is huge, but 1 player shouldn't affect the simple lack of movement, but I guess he does.
Movement on the PP starts with moving when you don't have the puck, and McDonald/Perron/Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk is the most mobile PP core they've had all year. They're using their feet to create short outlet options for whoever has the puck, and once they get the puck (especially McDonald and Perron along the half-wall) they're willing to use their feet to exploit the space that the defense is giving them...either by cutting to the top of the circle for a shot, or by carrying the puck up and down the wall to create a seam for a pass or a shot. Every now and then they'll bounce a guy to the corner to change things up for the defenders, but the vast majority of the work is done out up top by the four guys I mentioned.

The second PP isn't nearly as mobile, and it shows in their movement without the puck (which dictates their movement with the puck). It's a pretty bareboned get the puck on net and get there for a rebound type of unit.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Stang

damnit!

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

So much for the rout idea. Jeez, Blues. They need to pick it up, bring more energy.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Stang

hit em beener!

Old
03-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Blowbeen destroyed him

Bruv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

My guy may have lost but that was a pretty darn good fight right there.

Old
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

There is absolutely no excuse not to get a new stick, Backes. He should know better. He made the right move by giving the D his stick first but he should have immediatly left for a new twig. You are useless without one, period.

That goal is Backes' fault.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
There is absolutely no excuse not to get a new stick, Backes. He should know better. He made the right move by giving the D his stick first but he should have immediatly left for a new twig. You are useless without one, period.

I remember when Oshie was in that position and he skated his ass off to the bench (as they were calling for him) but the other team scored...and it was later said that Oshie went against team protocol because they had discussed what to do in that situation previously (not go for a new stick while it's still in our zone).

Old
03-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
Speaking of Johnson, nice interview by Panger. Wish FS Ohio did that more for other teams.

Anyway... the tricky part with Nash is this: He is THE FACE of the franchise. It's not like he's terrible -- if that were the case, teams wouldn't have been salivating at the mere mention of him being on the market last month. It's just who is around him? Our two GMs and president have failed us in building a team to surround him.

To get rid of Nash, there better be a heck of a haul and a way to promote the franchise going forward. A guy like JMFJ will help that, but I still think even without trading Nash, the team doesn't have to go nuclear. Trades and tooling still have to be made -- we're not a head coach away from dominating like you guys were this season -- but the nuclear option isn't needed.

Of course, we also have to face the fact that we've been in one of the toughest divisions in the past few years, with Detroit being a perennial contender and Chicago also winning it all recently. Nashville is always in the mix, and you guys have surged back to the top.
I agree with the arguments for both sides here, tough decision either way. But maybe trade Nash and cash in, then replace* him with Yakupov at the draft.

*Replace meaning long term face of the franchise, and one day superstar.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fred Murtz

Atkinson goal

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
stlblues9

Quote:

I'm not watching the game because my internet is slow right now, but looking at NHL and seeing that they scored right after the PP I'm assuming Backes lost his stick while on the PK. Do you not remember when Oshie left the zone to get the stick and they ended up scoring? Even without a stick you can still block a shot or get in the way of a passing lane. Like i said though, I'm not watching the game so I don't know what happened.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I'm not watching the game because my internet is slow right now, but looking at NHL and seeing that they scored right after the PP I'm assuming Backes lost his stick while on the PK. Do you not remember when Oshie left the zone to get the stick and they ended up scoring? Even without a stick you can still block a shot or get in the way of a passing lane. Like i said though, I'm not watching the game so I don't know what happened.
Yep...exactly what I just posted a couple seconds ago (glad someone else recalled the same situation).
In this instance, Polak was the one who lost a stick and Backes handed his off so the d man would have one. Backes stayed out high and just waited to try to block a shot.

Old
03-10-2012, 08:15 PM
bcd051

Quote:

Last time that one of our guys left the ice to get a new stick while killing a penalty, I believe Vancouver won in OT. Backes couldn't have gotten a new stick because the puck never left our end, essentially giving Columbus a 5 on 3. Though, the Jackets did score after the penalty was served, we still were, practically, down a man.

Is it just me or do the Blues look awful right now?

bcd051 is offline   Reply With Quote