HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Goalie Depth

Old
03-10-2012, 01:07 PM
CoupeStanley

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Drafting Malcom is a terrible idea. I can already see Price being booed out of town by the mobs fans after Malcolm have two good games.

Vasilesvski would be great.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:28 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post
Yeah, no. I don`t care about Cedric, I just agree it`s high time to adress this particular need, via draft preferably.

With Subban and that other guy probably gone before our pick, what are the other draft options?
Oscar Dansk seems to be the 3rd highest ranked goalie, projected to go late in the 1st or early in the 2nd so we would have a good chance at getting him at 33rd.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:18 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Basically, How do you feel about the Habs goalie Depth and When do we look at developing another goalie in the system for down the line? Yes we have our stud in Price. Budaj seems like a serviceable backup, i know Price is still very young and has a long career ahead of him but depth never hurts. Looking years ahead having a situation like Vancouver where they have a great young backup behind a great goalie would be pretty sweet. Currently our needs our elsewhere but when do you guys think we start to look?
We've traded a few young goalies recently in Halak, Desjardins and Ramo, it's time to add some quality depth there. Doubt Budaj could man the fort for a month or two if Price goes down to injury during stretch drive. Subban be too high a pick unless he slides to Nashville's 2nd rounder. For now, I'd like to try for Hackett in a trade, something like that

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Drafting Malcom is a terrible idea. I can already see Price being booed out of town by the mobs fans after Malcolm have two good games.

Vasilesvski would be great.
The same would happen with Vasilevski...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Muminek

So are we starting the Price/Subban goalie debate now or waiting until the draft?
I`m pro Subban, he`s got 919 SV% plus Carey is a girly name which causes the lack of mental toughness.

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

If Subban is still there 2nd round I say draft him. This draft is a little different than most. After the first 15 picks or so the talent level drops off more than most drafts. After 15th pick be a lot never make it or future journeymen NHLers with the odd wildcard draftee sprinkled in go on to good career.

If we can get a #1 center with our first pick then Subban with our 2nd, maybe even a Nieves, Hart or Suter with our other 2nd pick be a good draft considering the talent available. This is what I would hope for.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
what depth?

if Price runs into some serious injury troubles, and/or they can't get him extended long-term, we are in serious trouble.

Budaj is not an everyday NHL starter & no other goalie in our organization is showing signs of having even NHL back-up potential.

it's a weakness that needs to be addressed, even if the hope is that Price is the permanent solution for the next 5-10 years.
Agreed, and we should take advantage of what seems to be a good ability of developing young keepers.
You can never have too many good players, and I don't think Price is the best goalie to ever be. There would be nothing wrong with developing another young keeper that could possibly take over whenever Price becomes too expensive.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
We've traded a few young goalies recently in Halak, Desjardins and Ramo, it's time to add some quality depth there. Doubt Budaj could man the fort for a month or two if Price goes down to injury during stretch drive. Subban be too high a pick unless he slides to Nashville's 2nd rounder. For now, I'd like to try for Hackett in a trade, something like that
Does't make much sense to trade for a promising young goalie.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
the

Having depth in goals? Why? We can't afford this to happen,what happens if that goalie becomes better then Price? We already had a hard time getting rid of that Halak guy,we can't afford to have this type of situation happen again!

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Muminek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Having depth in goals? Why? We can't afford this to happen,what happens if that goalie becomes better then Price? We already had a hard time getting rid of that Halak guy,we can't afford to have this type of situation happen again!
Halak is becoming "the Luongo" of Habs board goalie threads
The bottom line is we need more good goalies even if Price lives up to expectations.

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:44 PM
j52

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Width is what really counts for a goalie. We need someone who can cover the whole width of the net when he flops on the ice, a la Priceless. Also, he should have a good glove hand. (show our goalie coach the film of Roy in the 1986 playoffs against the Rangers.)

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Was letting Cedric Desjardins go a mistake?
I don't think so he has not made it outside of here either so....

But the team needs to think of adding some depth and sooner rather then later.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:46 PM
wedge

the Devils have wasted a few goalie prospects (ari Ahonen comes to mind) because they just couldn't develop by playing 10 games a year behind Brodeur and they had no future in the AHL exactly because of that.

I don't see the point of wasting a high draft pick on a goalie. Let's solve our problems before doing that. If we can't sign Price for a very long-term contract, then maybe next year it would be time to think about it.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:29 PM
gusfring

Altshuller is better than Subban...

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
the Devils have wasted a few goalie prospects (ari Ahonen comes to mind) because they just couldn't develop by playing 10 games a year behind Brodeur and they had no future in the AHL exactly because of that.

I don't see the point of wasting a high draft pick on a goalie. Let's solve our problems before doing that. If we can't sign Price for a very long-term contract, then maybe next year it would be time to think about it.
Vancouver developed Schneider pretty well.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
I don't see any point in drafting a goalie in the top 2 rounds, take a flier on guys later in the draft, as we know goalies are unpredictable and hope 1 out of the handful we draft develop into something.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:43 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

No need. Pop a 5th or 6th rounder on an obscure Scandinavian goalie.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No need. Pop a 5th or 6th rounder on an obscure Scandinavian goalie.
The last goalie we picked was Simila (2009 Mr. Irrelevant) and I'd rather sign Conz and Eriksson than to take a goalie in the first 2 rounds, given that Subban or Vasilevski (or even the Swedish goalie that played at the WJC) would be unhappy as a Hab the day they make it to the big team.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
I don't see any point in drafting a goalie in the top 2 rounds, take a flier on guys later in the draft, as we know goalies are unpredictable and hope 1 out of the handful we draft develop into something.
It's an asset and gives you another option if Price falters or gets hurt...or wants to leave at some point(trade or UFA).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote