HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Appreciation thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
  #1
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Brian Burke Appreciation thread

I have honestly had enough of arguing with people about Brian Burke. Everyone is listening to Cherry, who im a big supporter of, but the fact of the matter is, Crosby isnít from Ontario does that mean you wouldnít welcome him on this team, or Malkin, or Datsyuk? As much as I want GTA boys on this team its more important to find good players and location secondary. Now lets look at some of the things Burke has done.

Pros:
-Increased our prospect pool to top 10 in the league with first rounders in colborne, ashton, kadri, gardiner, biggs, percy in the system.
-Put a competitive team on the ice without having to completely tank
- brought in star players for pretty much nothing (look at the phaneuf deal)

Cons:
-traded our 2 firsts for a STAR PLAYER who WILL score 40 goals, and I only put this as a con because there isnít many he has done
- signed the players in LACK, but except for Lombardi who wasnít expected to play this season were all good signings. Connolly just isnít the right fit and he only signed for 2 yearsÖ its like we have this guy for 10 more years the way people have been complaining lately. Armstrong is another good signing and people havnít figured it out yet, with UFA your going to overpayÖ so the best thing to do is to draft and develop well. Komisarek ive always hated that signing but SO MANY people on this board loved the signing so stop complaining

When Burke came in as GM we had this as our prospect pool looked like this: (2008)
1. Luke Schenn
2. Jiri Tlusty
3. Kulemin
4. Pogge
5. Mitchell
6. Hayes
7. DiDomenico
8. Rau
9. Winnett
10. Frattin
11. Earl
12. Orekovic

Btw, in this whole list only 2 are 1st rounders, while Schenn, Kulemin, Frattin have all been with the leafs all the others havnít made it anywhere (beside Tlusty really). The reason for our piss poor prospect pool before Burke came was because of Patt Quinn consistently trading away 1st rounders for quick fixes that never got us the ultimate prize.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=256170

Burke came in and traded 2 first rounders, but instead of not having any youth he traded for prospects and younger players (kessel, colborne, gardiner, aulie, phaneuf) instead of picks like a traditional rebuild. Now lets look at our prospects in 2012:
1. Kadri
2. Colbrone
3. Gardiner
4. Ashton
5. Blacker
6. Frattin
7. Mckegg
8. Biggs
9. Percy
10. Scrivens
11. Ross
12. Rynnas
13. Holzer

On that list we have 6 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and 5 others that were picked later in the rounds. Now im not saying Mckegg will never make it but it seems like leaf nation has had a steady diet of 3rd+ rounders being productive in the OHL and us all getting excited hoping it would translate into the NHL. Instead now we have legit players who will make the NHL and other teams covet.

Now lets look at the difference in rosters:
2008 we had:
1. sundin
2. Antropov
3. kaberle
4. blake
5. steen
6. kubina
7. poni
8. tucker
9.stajan
10. mccabe

2012:
Lupul-bozak-kessel
Mcarthur-grabs-kulemin
Lombardi-connolly-armstrong
Brown-steckel-crabb

Phaneuf-gunner
Schenn-gardiner
Liles-franson/komi

Not only is our roster more youthful now but is also better. I think people need to look at what Burke had to start with and then complain. The prospect pool was piss poor to begin with, it has improved, the overall roster has improved and is going in a good direction apposed to in 2008, a bad one.

So those of u who based burke at the deadline for not getting more 1st rounder or nash need to take a second and look at it from a management prospective. This team is still young, you donít build championship teams through trades, you need to develop players and have them in ur system learning it. Patience leaf nation, patience a STANLEY CUP CALIBER TEAM will be here soon, idk what people would want more playoffs or a parade? Pretty easy for me, NO MORE QUICK FIXES AND TRADING OF ASSETS. I actually praise burke for not making any trades at the deadline because of all the scrutiny and pressure he hadÖ this team will be better just be patient.

I also want to state that failure isnít an option anymore, ive stated this year was a learning year and next season is the year we HAVE to make the playoffs or imo Burke is gone, but imo this team will make the post season.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
  #2
Eb
TML
 
Eb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,374
vCash: 500
Agreed.

But Lombardi was got in the most lopp-sided trade ever so who cares if he is on the fourth line providing some sort of leadership. I remember zeke made a thread a long time ago criticizing the trade because of Lombardi's big contract and everyone was ripping on him.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:59 AM
  #3
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Agreed.

But Lombardi was got in the most lopp-sided trade ever so who cares if he is on the fourth line providing some sort of leadership. I remember zeke made a thread a long time ago criticizing the trade because of Lombardi's big contract and everyone was ripping on him.
if they cannot be traded and the leafs need cap space they can be sent down. Not a huge deal, and something i didn't add in the previous comment is that Carlyle will make this team better. everyone *****ing about Ottawa, go look what position they were in last year and the leafs are this year (besides the big drop off). Pretty much same position, everyone wanting the coach to be fired, everyone wanting the GM to be fired. Instead he let the players develop and the team got good. thats how to make a winning team DEVELOPING

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
  #4
Soul Vibe Funk
Registered User
 
Soul Vibe Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
I like these apprecation threads every 3 days.

Soul Vibe Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:10 AM
  #5
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 34,730
vCash: 500
As much as he's dug the franchise out of a hole, he's been busy digging his own at the same time. No results. Not complaining, not appreciating.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
  #6
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,703
vCash: 100
How nice, another "it's all good" thread.

If you're going to do pros and cons at least try with them. If you seriously can't come up with cons without excuses attached to them then there is some serious skewed vision at play here.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:19 AM
  #7
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,458
vCash: 50
I don't want Burke fired, but appreciation is ridiculous. All that's changed are the names of the prospects. You still don't know how many of those guys pan out, so it's better to wait and see.

I want to see results on the ice. He's completely changed the roster and the Leafs are still not good enough.

JFJ must be laughing at MLSE and the Leafs right now. He actually had a 5 year plan in which the Leafs could have easily snagged any 1-2 of these guys: Kane, Toews, Kessel, Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Pietrangelo, Doughty, etc.

They didn't allow that, and we're stuck now. No real top end talent on the roster besides Kessel.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:22 AM
  #8
Gberg
Registered User
 
Gberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
I think this is here simply because people are overreacting on these boards. So many posters have the attention span of a gnat, so naturally, they'll react like lunatics.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:22 AM
  #9
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7
 
LakeshoreWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
I agree with the OP. The Burke criticism is getting out of hand, and it's mostly people who lack the ability to see the bigger picture with this team and management/development system.

I think the Leafs are headed in the right direction, but next year playoffs are a must. I don't think that will be a problem for this team.

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:29 AM
  #10
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
How nice, another "it's all good" thread.

If you're going to do pros and cons at least try with them. If you seriously can't come up with cons without excuses attached to them then there is some serious skewed vision at play here.
Not excuses, its the truth. Everybody wanted those players here and were excited burke got them.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:38 AM
  #11
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't want Burke fired, but appreciation is ridiculous. All that's changed are the names of the prospects. You still don't know how many of those guys pan out, so it's better to wait and see.

I want to see results on the ice. He's completely changed the roster and the Leafs are still not good enough.

JFJ must be laughing at MLSE and the Leafs right now. He actually had a 5 year plan in which the Leafs could have easily snagged any 1-2 of these guys: Kane, Toews, Kessel, Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, Pietrangelo, Doughty, etc.

They didn't allow that, and we're stuck now. No real top end talent on the roster besides Kessel.
He also could have drafted crap and devloped nothing. Just because players go in the top 5 don't mean there star players, u need to develop them correctly, need to be in the right system. JFJ also thought pogge>rask burke is the best gm we have had in a long time, probably the best in my 19 years of life on this planet. He's a stanley cup winner, and brought in HIS coach which will help this team next year

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:44 AM
  #12
1927
Maj. Conn Smythe
 
1927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brock, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Burke has done a decent job of revamping this roster. The fact he could jettison Toskalol and Blake for a decent deal, along with getting rid of Stajan, Hagman, etc for Phanuef / Aulie (Ashton) just shows how good of a negotiator he can be. Rome was not built over night, and it will take years to build the Leafs into a contender. Have some patience Leafs fans, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:52 AM
  #13
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,458
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
He also could have drafted crap and devloped nothing. Just because players go in the top 5 don't mean there star players, u need to develop them correctly, need to be in the right system. JFJ also thought pogge>rask burke is the best gm we have had in a long time, probably the best in my 19 years of life on this planet. He's a stanley cup winner, and brought in HIS coach which will help this team next year
Thinking Pogge>Rask is a forgivable crime. Thinking this team was a Phil Kessel away from being a playoff team in 09-10 was not.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:53 AM
  #14
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Am I supposed to appreciate another year at the bottom of the standings? The only thing I am appreciating is the fact that he hasn't dealt our first rounder this year just yet.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
  #15
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Thinking Pogge>Rask is a forgivable crime. Thinking this team was a Phil Kessel away from being a playoff team in 09-10 was not.
Not to mention Kessel missed the first 15 games or so of that year.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
  #16
LC
Registered User
 
LC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SW Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,903
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Thinking Pogge>Rask is a forgivable crime. Thinking this team was a Phil Kessel away from being a playoff team in 09-10 was not.
Gotta say I see that the complete opposite way.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:03 PM
  #17
ACC1224
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 31,592
vCash: 500
Worse mistake Burke has made is not bringing in a Veteran Goalie this year and he did it twice. When Reimer got hurt and at the deadline.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:12 PM
  #18
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Thinking Pogge>Rask is a forgivable crime. Thinking this team was a Phil Kessel away from being a playoff team in 09-10 was not.
idk, if rask was our goalie would we be in the playoffs? i think so.

trading a franchise type goalie for Andrew Raycroft isn't a big reason why we have goalie problems?

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
  #19
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Am I supposed to appreciate another year at the bottom of the standings? The only thing I am appreciating is the fact that he hasn't dealt our first rounder this year just yet.
this thread wasn't as much appreciation more of a Burke is the right man for the job stop complaining about him because no other teams has made as much progress as it comes to overall youth and prospects than the Leafs in the last 4 years.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:15 PM
  #20
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927 View Post
Burke has done a decent job of revamping this roster. The fact he could jettison Toskalol and Blake for a decent deal, along with getting rid of Stajan, Hagman, etc for Phanuef / Aulie (Ashton) just shows how good of a negotiator he can be. Rome was not built over night, and it will take years to build the Leafs into a contender. Have some patience Leafs fans, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
this is the message i was trying to say, thank you.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:17 PM
  #21
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
this thread wasn't as much appreciation more of a Burke is the right man for the job stop complaining about him because no other teams has made as much progress as it comes to overall youth and prospects than the Leafs in the last 4 years.
Is that even true?

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
  #22
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,806
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
idk, if rask was our goalie would we be in the playoffs? i think so.

trading a franchise type goalie for Andrew Raycroft isn't a big reason why we have goalie problems?
if we had kept rask he might have turned out like Pogge.

and besides you say this roster is better but the only tangible results to show the strength of the team is standings and the team Burke inherited finished 24th in the standings this team currently sits 25th so really this roster isn't proving to be any better then the one we had before Burke.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:26 PM
  #23
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
if we had kept rask he might have turned out like Pogge.

and besides you say this roster is better but the only tangible results to show the strength of the team is standings and the team Burke inherited finished 24th in the standings this team currently sits 25th so really this roster isn't proving to be any better then the one we had before Burke.
people are so fixated on points, what im trying to say is this team is younger, faster and are a better team on paper. People keep saying rhetorical things, like names change but still in the same place. I have watched the Leafs for a long time and i am very happy with the direction it is in, even happier if we draft Galyenchuck or Grigorenko.

Pretty much what u just said is that Stajan and Blake are almost as good as kessel and lupul..... and yes Rask could have turned out to be like Pogge, but it was known that Pogge played infront of Team Canada which might have been the best team ever. He was also classified as "slow" and who got the goalie MVP in that tourny? Rask and Pogge had an unreal shutout streak. IDK what boston was looking for, but JFJ and Pat Quinn ruined this team and Burke has ALMOST fixed it all, and everyone praises patt quinn...

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:28 PM
  #24
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Is that even true?
i like how u included examples instead of asking another question. the only team in the last 4 years that might have made more progress with a youth and prospect movement is Edmonton and thats because they have had a lot of top draft picks, not trying to make excuses, but right now id rather be the Leafs than Oilers.....

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:30 PM
  #25
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i like how u included examples instead of asking another question. the only team in the last 4 years that might have made more progress with a youth and prospect movement is Edmonton and thats because they have had a lot of top draft picks, not trying to make excuses, but right now id rather be the Leafs than Oilers.....
Senators have made more progress than the Leafs in a shorter time frame.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.