HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF the Habs land Grigorenko, would you want Roy as the new head coach?

View Poll Results: IF the Habs land Grigorenko, would you wan Roy as the new head coach?
Yes 84 62.22%
No 51 37.78%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Sergei was given chances, both under Martin and under Carbo. He chose to use the time given to him to plan his flight path to the KHL and threaten the team with it.

Absolutely I would say "Roy could be a good coach for us he could also be a bad coach." Anyone who says otherwise is a liar because they simply don't know what he would be. They can speculate. They don't know. In addition, your sarcastic uninformed remarks don't do anything for you.
You're right. Sergei had a piss-poor attitude and had to go. It wasn't just Martin who didn't care for him. Most of the team was sour on him. Martin even gave him a chance in the Washington playoff series and Sergei took a stupid penalty right off the bat and put us in a bad spot. Maybe Sergei matured in Nashville or maybe it's like he said that the people in Montreal just aren't friendly. In any event, Sergei had to go and unfortunately his reputation did a number on his trade value.

You're also right about Roy....could be good but could be very bad. He'd be a risky choice as coach. He's never coached men before. I'd rather see him earn his stripes with a year in the AHL.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You're right. Sergei had a piss-poor attitude and had to go. It wasn't just Martin who didn't care for him. Most of the team was sour on him. Martin even gave him a chance in the Washington playoff series and Sergei took a stupid penalty right off the bat and put us in a bad spot. Maybe Sergei matured in Nashville or maybe it's like he said that the people in Montreal just aren't friendly. In any event, Sergei had to go and unfortunately his reputation did a number on his trade value.

You're also right about Roy....could be good but could be very bad. He'd be a risky choice as coach. He's never coached men before. I'd rather see him earn his stripes with a year in the AHL.
Thing is, everybody can be right or wrong. What if we would have picked Hitchcock? There would have been TONS of whining in this board and I probably would have been one of them. Yet, what if ha makes us a much better team? Though nobody knows if we have the guys to be as succesful as the Blues have. Well we do know that we don't but don't know to which extent. Thing is, we have to work with what we have. And what will happen if it's a mistake? Rinse and repeat in 3 years. Surely, we are tired of that and we have to hope that it's end of that long drought. Yet, there are a couple of fairly young players coming on our team real soon. So while Roy will have to deal with vets, chances are our team will be fairly young as well.

Now, Roy did deal with vets. He was one of them. He was around quite a few as well. I think it's pretty tough to wonder about his desire to coach or to succeed as him and his ego had to ride the bus for so many years now. I think that people evolve. People change. Yet, even if he'd be the same, with the same kind of temper, you'd think that there's a place for that like there's a place for a Tortorella. Obviously, you'll say that Tortorella can do it based on the fact that he's a vet coach. Well I could say that most players on our team will most likely accept Roy as well based on who he is and what he accomplished. He might not be perfect but again.....who is your perfect candidate? Should I remind you...who is your perfect BILINGUAL candidate? Again, it's not about getting THE MAN. The guy that will be the new Scotty Bowman and make us win all those Cups. But it is about getting the man that is available and fills the criterias.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thing is, everybody can be right or wrong. What if we would have picked Hitchcock? There would have been TONS of whining in this board and I probably would have been one of them. Yet, what if ha makes us a much better team? Though nobody knows if we have the guys to be as succesful as the Blues have. Well we do know that we don't but don't know to which extent. Thing is, we have to work with what we have. And what will happen if it's a mistake? Rinse and repeat in 3 years. Surely, we are tired of that and we have to hope that it's end of that long drought. Yet, there are a couple of fairly young players coming on our team real soon. So while Roy will have to deal with vets, chances are our team will be fairly young as well.

Now, Roy did deal with vets. He was one of them. He was around quite a few as well. I think it's pretty tough to wonder about his desire to coach or to succeed as him and his ego had to ride the bus for so many years now. I think that people evolve. People change. Yet, even if he'd be the same, with the same kind of temper, you'd think that there's a place for that like there's a place for a Tortorella. Obviously, you'll say that Tortorella can do it based on the fact that he's a vet coach. Well I could say that most players on our team will most likely accept Roy as well based on who he is and what he accomplished. He might not be perfect but again.....who is your perfect candidate? Should I remind you...who is your perfect BILINGUAL candidate? Again, it's not about getting THE MAN. The guy that will be the new Scotty Bowman and make us win all those Cups. But it is about getting the man that is available and fills the criterias.
Has Tortorella ever had the police show up at his home because his wife made a frantic 911 call? Most real men with tempers know that there's lines their tempers can't cross. Again, this is why Roy scares me as coach. I don't think he's in control of himself. Besides, I have no use for anyone who calls themself a man and gets into the predicament that I just mentioned. I know it's not related to hockey but it says a lot about the person and I just don't want that kind of person coaching the CH.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
This post is the perfect example of what is wrong with this team.

This is Diaz's first season in the NHL, yet you use him as a comparable when you yourself suggest O'Byrne was not given a chance to prove himself.

Weber on the other hand, an example of a player who has been given many chances and still gets them, but after all this time hasn't shown any consistency at all (a prime reason one would "get rid of" someone in the first place).

Finally Campoli, someone who I would consider to be a #7 D-man on a good day. Glad we can agree O'Byrne is better than a borderline #7...

Sergei was given chances, both under Martin and under Carbo. He chose to use the time given to him to plan his flight path to the KHL and threaten the team with it.

Absolutely I would say "Roy could be a good coach for us he could also be a bad coach." Anyone who says otherwise is a liar because they simply don't know what he would be. They can speculate. They don't know. In addition, your sarcastic uninformed remarks don't do anything for you.
We have no idea how Roy would be but the guy has won everywhere, he's a born winner and leader. And he has that "take no ****" attitude we haven't had forever.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We have no idea how Roy would be but the guy has won everywhere, he's a born winner and leader. And he has that "take no ****" attitude we haven't had forever.
I agree. No reason he can't do it with Hamilton first though.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
This post is the perfect example of what is wrong with this team.

This is Diaz's first season in the NHL, yet you use him as a comparable when you yourself suggest O'Byrne was not given a chance to prove himself.

Weber on the other hand, an example of a player who has been given many chances and still gets them, but after all this time hasn't shown any consistency at all (a prime reason one would "get rid of" someone in the first place).

Finally Campoli, someone who I would consider to be a #7 D-man on a good day. Glad we can agree O'Byrne is better than a borderline #7...

My apologies for my sarcastic tone. I just had never read a post where someone said that a person could both be bad or good. Normally most people take a side.

Diaz is only two years younger than O'Byrne so the argument you used does not carry much weight. And speaking of weight, O'Byrne is 6'5" 234 lbs. He is the type of DMan that we have been missing all year (Gill.........nah). Instead, we have the small and soft Diaz, Campoli and Weber.........all because Martin benched O'Byrne for making mistakes that everyone on the team made........but Ryan was the Martin whipping boy.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. OB is run out of town and two years later this team is out of the playoffs because of the soft defense that we have giving up leads late in the game.

Yes, Jacques Martin, the experienced soft spoken coach formerly of the Montreal Canadiens. His legacy will live on for a while.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:54 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Has Tortorella ever had the police show up at his home because his wife made a frantic 911 call? Most real men with tempers know that there's lines their tempers can't cross. Again, this is why Roy scares me as coach. I don't think he's in control of himself. Besides, I have no use for anyone who calls themself a man and gets into the predicament that I just mentioned. I know it's not related to hockey but it says a lot about the person and I just don't want that kind of person coaching the CH.
Let me see just how pure you are regarding your hockey personnel.

Would you want any player who has taken steroids to play for the Habs? What about a coach who took steroids during his playing days? Head scout who took steroids?

Do you want a hard drinking alcohol abuser playing/coaching for the Habs?

What if they smoke pot? Are cigarettes OK?

What if they were suspended while playing in the NHL? Coaching?

Oh, and one last thing. Were you in Patrick Roy's home when the 911 call was made? Did he beat her? Were they arguing? What EXACTLY happened?

From the news reports............"The sports millionaire showed up at his first appearance in Denver on November 7 hand-in-hand with his wife."

According to CBC News: "The pair walked into the courtroom hands clasped. Afterwards, they kissed before leaving the courthouse in separate cars."

I did search Google. Mother Teresa, the most recent Saint, is not available to take the Canadiens coaching job.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

We got O'byrne for a prospect that could have gone 57th overall had we not traded up for Tinordi...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Would you want any player who has taken steroids to play for the Habs? What about a coach who took steroids during his playing days? Head scout who took steroids?

Oh, and one last thing. Were you in Patrick Roy's home when the 911 call was made? Did he beat her? Were they arguing? What EXACTLY happened?

From the news reports............"The sports millionaire showed up at his first appearance in Denver on November 7 hand-in-hand with his wife."

According to CBC News: "The pair walked into the courtroom hands clasped. Afterwards, they kissed before leaving the courthouse in separate cars."

I did search Google. Mother Teresa, the most recent Saint, is not available to take the Canadiens coaching job.
Are you saying steroid, drug and alcohol use are comparable to roughing up a woman? If so, you and I come from completely different worlds.

No, I wasn't there when the 911 call was made but I do know that a call was made and it wasn't because someone burned their finger cooking supper. Also, it certainly wouldn't be the first time an abused wife tried to put on a unified front for the public that everything was fine in order to protect her husband. They did get divorced a couple of years later (not that this means anything but the 911 call certainly does).

Old
03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to that. But who coachs the Habs in the meantime?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:46 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Are you saying steroid, drug and alcohol use are comparable to roughing up a woman? If so, you and I come from completely different worlds.

No, I wasn't there when the 911 call was made but I do know that a call was made and it wasn't because someone burned their finger cooking supper. Also, it certainly wouldn't be the first time an abused wife tried to put on a unified front for the public that everything was fine in order to protect her husband. They did get divorced a couple of years later (not that this means anything but the 911 call certainly does).
Do you have 100% proof that Patrick Roy "roughed up" his wife or are you speculating?

Because you are here on the internet proclaiming it as factual when you do not know. They have a term for making statements about a person like that. Not good either.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:43 AM
double5son10

Quote:

No EVIDENCE that Roy ever beat his wife. Cops didn't find any, so the DA's office dropped the case.

"Michele and Patrick Roy were arguing very late at night, yet less than 90 minutes after a long dinner at a local restaurant, over a family matter involving his divorced parents. Although I keep hearing this stated as a given, it is not necessarily correct that the 911 hangup call only involved fear. Michele Roy's anger could have been a factor as well. Nor is it a given that Michele understood it would be automatically traced. Patrick damaged two doors in his home. There is no evidence, or even an indication, that he hit his wife. Intimidation and threats are inexcusable, but reasonable men and women would acknowledge that damaging doors - which is the only violent Patrick Roy act we know of - is not a heinous act, and not even automatically an act of intimidation. Anyone attempting to excessively extrapolate and interpret the facts is being unjust and presumptuous."

http://extras.denverpost.com/scolumns/frei1027.htm

Does Patrick Roy have a temper? Clearly. Is he an arrogant ass? Sure seems it. But to speculate that he's a wife beater due to one incident where charges were dropped due to a lack of evidence is just asinine.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:02 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't want either of them unless Roy suddenly shows to be a top junior coach and beats Shawinigan and St.John in the playoffs and Grigorenko shows he can go in traffic and compete even when things are not clicking.
^This

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:10 AM
bentheprop

Quote:
You're right we haven't had a coach with an attitude like Patrick's since Tremblay.

As for you're first statement, I don't care what he did as a player since we are not hiring him to play, but he has only coached in the Q so that is hardly winning "everywhere". I'd only consider Roy if he worked his way up and coached a higher level of hockey first.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
What happened is desbribed in his biography book written by his father and in the book, it says a huge part of the blame goes to his wife. Patrick's father was there that night and he said a part of the dispute was a lot about him. If it wasn't the truth... I don't think she would have let it go and let them make her look like a fool...

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

I think if Hitchcock was hired there wouldn't have been the blowback that we saw with Cunneyworth. Yes, there would've been some griping in the media but Hitch being a veteran would've held some credibility with fans knowing that it was a decision about winning.

It wasn't just that we hired an anglo only coach. It was that we hired an anglo rookie coach. That was just wrong headed and made no sense. And it made even less sense to throw him under the bus the way we did.
Quote:
Maybe so but he comes with a lot of drama and we can get that kind of attitude somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
You're right we haven't had a coach with an attitude like Patrick's since Tremblay.

As for you're first statement, I don't care what he did as a player since we are not hiring him to play, but he has only coached in the Q so that is hardly winning "everywhere". I'd only consider Roy if he worked his way up and coached a higher level of hockey first.
You're right and have hit the nail on the head. Well done.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
windycity

While I like Patrick's passion, I think we need someone a little more even-keeled as GM. Maybe he's mellowed, but like some others, Mario T is the 1st guy I think of for obvious reasons and that did not turn out well

Last edited by windycity: 03-13-2012 at 10:47 AM.
windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:

Would you want Roy to coach the Dogs next year, then?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

why is everyone all over roy on here? He is an average coach at best. Why the hell does everyone want him?..Likely because he can speak french

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
izzak
Rookie User

Send a message via MSN to izzak Send a message via Skype™ to izzak
I'd want Roy not because he's french, but because he's a winner and he's a competitor.
I'm really tired to see lack-luster coaches and GMs being at the helm of this team.
But then, it's not a certain success because we don't know how Roy can coach in the NHL, but that's not a good enough reason to say no to him.

I also find silly that getting Grigorenko would lure him, that's not even close of a requirement, whoever is here, he would want to be here.

izzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Roy for head coach
Damphousse as GM

2 wife beaters, maybe the team will get tougher, they can both fight.

I've seen Mike Vernon handle Roy and I don't think I've ever seen Vinny in a fight. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a collective 0 and 2 versus their wives.

Can't even enjoy a joke without getting all serious to bash Roy, pathetic considering the joke itself was bashing Roy.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
macavoy

I agree that Roy should spend time in the AHL first. If he doesn't get an offer this year, he should head for the A if he wants to make it to the show as a coach. He needs to go to the next level.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Nobody wants Mother Teresa. Many of us would be happy with a coach who displayed more passion. The problem is in having a coach who has a huge ego and lacks impulse control. Getting angry at your wife, or an opposing team is not my issue. Punching a wall, swearing, yelling is not my issue. Sending one of your players to assault another player totally not doing anything more than playing his position and avoiding a fight, is a problem. Losing control of your ego and temper to a point where you screw your team mates and your team because you are left in nets to do a job you are paid millions to do, is a problem.

I don't trust Patrick Roy. I don't respect Patrick Roy. I would be even more hesitant to want him in control of our team after he has been set up to become the great hero coach who will turn us around. You see, our team has a poor record this year, but we are actually not as bad as our record indicates. We do not need a saviour coach, we need Markov and Gionta back healthy. We need a coach who will let our offensive players actually use their offensive talents. We need a GM who won't waste our assets. Yes, we would love a big, strong center. Luckily, we should be able to get him at the draft.

We do NOT need a coach who will be hailed as a saviour just because he inherits an already good team that had a bad season. We do NOT need a coach who has PROVEN that his EGO is more important than his team. We do NOT need a coach who sends his own child to criminally assault another player. Roy would be bad for our organization in so many ways it is painful to see people willing to consider him (although I respect those peoples' right to have said opinions).

I am a coach (of Juvenile Boys Basketball, not professionally). I have fielded consecutive teams that have either won or challenged for a Championship 3 years running. As much as I loved the Championship we won last year, I loved the 5 consecutive Sportsmanship of the year awards my teams have won just as much. As I tell my players, I would rather lose with winners, than win with losers. Roy can win at sports, but has shown himself to be such a loser in life it is painful. Our team will be fine if we can find a coach willing to let them play offense. We do NOT need Roy.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
We got O'byrne for a prospect that could have gone 57th overall had we not traded up for Tinordi...
I love O'Byrne. However, he had to go for his own sake. After scoring into his own nets, he was finished for the Habs because the fans and the media were all over him. Management did what they had to in order to salvage something from this player. I hated losing O'Byrne, but was proud of the fact that our organization recognized that he would not be able to develop in our city and sent him to play elsewhere.

It is a shame we lost such a potentially terrific player. It was NOT management's fault. Sometimes we fans (and especially the damned media) need to stand up and accept our share of the responsibility for things that happen to our team.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Zorba

Quote:
Theres ZERO chance Roy agrees to coach in Hamilton. Even mentioning that is absurd. he is not some prospect we are trying to develop. I for one, will be pretty pissed if he is not the coach. Bring him and Robinson to coach the D , that would be the best scenario IMO

Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote