HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Historical % of right handed shots in the NHL

Old
03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
mp29
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Historical % of right handed shots in the NHL

Greetings and salutations.
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Apologies if this has previously been discussed, I cannot find anything using the search. Apologies also for my English, as it is not my first language.

With regards to the title of my post, I have only been able to find a Internet quote stating that 64% of NHL players were left handed shots in 2010. I have no way of knowing if this accurate. NHL stats will only break it down by position.

According to Wikipedia, there have been eighteen 50 goals scored in a season by a player since 2001. Out of the 18, 10 were from right handed shooters, yet they supposedly only account for 36 % NHL players.

Ovy, Inginla and Kovalchuk have multiple 50 goals in the above mentioned time frame, and may or not skew the stats.

Looking for historical data, breaking down the % of right handed NHL players by season, and the corresponding % of total NHL goals scored by those players.

Thank you!

mp29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:53 PM
plusandminus

I hope I'm not turning this thread into something the threadstarter don't want to, but I've been thinking about this myself and that hockey players are so "one-sided" (I mean that they need to get the puck on their forward side, as opposed to their backhand side, in order to be able to treat it good).

So I have another question:
Has there been cases in history where players have been more "two-footed" (to borrow a football/soccer term)? Has there been cases of players using a "straight" blade, as opposed to a "curved" one (I hope I use understandable words)?

I know Gretzky used to practice his backhand a lot, and I remember him stating in some book that some of his "first" goals (like first in the NHL, first in the WHA, etc.) was made with his backhand.

We can also compare hockey players to bandy players, where the bandy players are using "straight blades" and can shoot well from both forehand and backhand.

One watches a hockey game, and the players constantly have to put the puck right in order to do something with it, like shooting.

Why are most hockey players left shooters anyway?

A comparison to tennis... The same arm move that in tennis is called a (double handed) backhand, is in hockey called a forehand (or at least not a backhand). Why?

Those having knowledge about baseball... What is more common there? (Without knowing much about baseball, doesn't the striker(??) there hold his bat(??) in a similar way that a hockey player holds his stick?)

plusandminus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusandminus View Post
I hope I'm not turning this thread into something the threadstarter don't want to, but I've been thinking about this myself and that hockey players are so "one-sided" (I mean that they need to get the puck on their forward side, as opposed to their backhand side, in order to be able to treat it good).

So I have another question:
Has there been cases in history where players have been more "two-footed" (to borrow a football/soccer term)? Has there been cases of players using a "straight" blade, as opposed to a "curved" one (I hope I use understandable words)?

I know Gretzky used to practice his backhand a lot, and I remember him stating in some book that some of his "first" goals (like first in the NHL, first in the WHA, etc.) was made with his backhand.

We can also compare hockey players to bandy players, where the bandy players are using "straight blades" and can shoot well from both forehand and backhand.

One watches a hockey game, and the players constantly have to put the puck right in order to do something with it, like shooting.

Why are most hockey players left shooters anyway?

A comparison to tennis... The same arm move that in tennis is called a (double handed) backhand, is in hockey called a forehand (or at least not a backhand). Why?

Those having knowledge about baseball... What is more common there? (Without knowing much about baseball, doesn't the striker(??) there hold his bat(??) in a similar way that a hockey player holds his stick?)
I believe someone here has posted current or recent numbers of player handedness but I'm not sure about historic.

Regarding "two footed" hockey players - which I guess would be referred to as ambidextrious for North American sports purposes - Gordie Howe could play with either hand so I've heard. I'm not sure how popular that was before the curved stick came about in the Hull/Mikita era of those old Blackhawks teams.

As to why so many players are left-handed in Canada. And as an American, I'm not sure why I'm answering this when there are so many Canadians here...but I believe they are taught when they are young that the dominant hand "controls" the stick from the top...most people are right-handed, so therefore, most players are left-handed.

Corrections may be needed here, but that's what I know to the best of my knowledge.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:22 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I'm a right-handed kid who shoots right.

Growing up it was probably 80% right-handed shots.

Weird.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:32 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post

As to why so many players are left-handed in Canada. And as an American, I'm not sure why I'm answering this when there are so many Canadians here...but I believe they are taught when they are young that the dominant hand "controls" the stick from the top...most people are right-handed, so therefore, most players are left-handed.

Corrections may be needed here, but that's what I know to the best of my knowledge.
Nobody teaches someone to shoot left or right. It comes naturally. Most players who are right handed shoot hockey left. just the way it is.

funny thing is hockey seems to be the only sport that this applies. most right-hand people swing a baseball bat & a golf club right. Not my family though. We are all right handed but swing left in hockey, baseball & golf. Includes myself & my 4 sons.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:32 PM
mp29
Rookie User

I should of stated that I'm intrigued by the possible statistical advantage of being a righty versus a lefty for the sole purpose of scoring goals.

Last edited by mp29: 03-11-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old
03-11-2012, 10:45 AM
snoris

What's really interesting is that many hockey players who shoot left-handed play golf right-handed.

snoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:11 AM
plusandminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp29 View Post
I should of stated that I'm intrigued by the possible statistical advantage of being a righty versus a lefty for the sole purpose of scoring goals.
I can imagine it generally being easier for a right handed person to shoot right handed, while it might be generally easier to control the stick overall when keeping the right hand at the top of the stick. So without looking at stats, I imagine shooting and thus goalscoring to be favoured.

Regarding stats, it can be looked up by some persons here if they choose to, so maybe/hopefully someone will do it.

plusandminus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:36 AM
mp29
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusandminus View Post
I can imagine it generally being easier for a right handed person to shoot right handed, while it might be generally easier to control the stick overall when keeping the right hand at the top of the stick. So without looking at stats, I imagine shooting and thus goalscoring to be favoured.

Regarding stats, it can be looked up by some persons here if they choose to, so maybe/hopefully someone will do it.
Anecdotal, but for the first time in years, a right hand mitt goalie showed up at a game last week. As a lefty, I was seeing so much more net than usual. Both on and my off wing. Perhaps goalies tend to cheat to their week side?

Most of the NHL goalies catch with the left hand, a right hand professional shot must be seeing what I noticed.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoris View Post
What's really interesting is that many hockey players who shoot left-handed play golf right-handed.
I play hockey and golf left handed, I feel so awkward playing golf right handed. Same with holding the bat.
I wish I was I was shooting right though (hockey).

As for the % I really don't know. But it feels like the majority is leftys. Not sure by how much though.

A funny thing is that in Australia, they ALL shoot right handed. I knew a guy who went there to play, and he couldn't get new sticks retail because he shoots left.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp29 View Post
Anecdotal, but for the first time in years, a right hand mitt goalie showed up at a game last week. As a lefty, I was seeing so much more net than usual. Both on and my off wing. Perhaps goalies tend to cheat to their week side?

Most of the NHL goalies catch with the left hand, a right hand professional shot must be seeing what I noticed.
I'm not a goalie but I read somewhere way in the past that with the goalies having left handed gloves it gives a slight advantage to left handed shooters and something about centers too but I'm very hung over and the memory is lingering out there.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:17 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I'm left-handed as in I write with my left etc. but I shoot right-handed. It seems more natural in terms of body movement.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:42 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I play hockey and golf left handed, I feel so awkward playing golf right handed. Same with holding the bat.
I wish I was I was shooting right though (hockey).

As for the % I really don't know. But it feels like the majority is leftys. Not sure by how much though.

A funny thing is that in Australia, they ALL shoot right handed. I knew a guy who went there to play, and he couldn't get new sticks retail because he shoots left.
It must be like the toilets swirling the opposite way.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
It must be like the toilets swirling the opposite way.
You mean that Australians shooting right-handed is an urban legend?

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
You mean that Australians shooting right-handed is an urban legend?
right.

I find it really hard to believe that 100% of australians shoot right handed.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I'm right handed and play with a straight stick. I change up my hands for when I want to shoot RH/LH, or what seems appropriate at the time.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I'm right handed and play with a straight stick. I change up my hands for when I want to shoot RH/LH, or what seems appropriate at the time.
Hi Gordie.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
hcdt

But it could be that you cant buy a left handed stick from a retail shop... the hockey is probably really small sport in australia and is majority uses the other stick it might not be just economically viable to have they for sale in an avrage shop.

Just like im Lefthanded in everything i find it difficult to find applications for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
right.

I find it really hard to believe that 100% of australians shoot right handed.

hcdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:23 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcdt View Post
But it could be that you cant buy a left handed stick from a retail shop... the hockey is probably really small sport in australia and is majority uses the other stick it might not be just economically viable to have they for sale in an avrage shop.

Just like im Lefthanded in everything i find it difficult to find applications for me..
I suppose that's plausible, but then, if they were going to stock just one hand, wouldn't they stock the one that more people around the world use?

Old
03-13-2012, 12:07 AM
vancanucks16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoris View Post
I'm like that as well, really wierd but it works...

vancanucks16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
i think its the goalies... i play goalie alot train my ass off and i found it more difficult to stop a right hander than a left, i disnt understand it. My coach suggested i practice 1-1 with a right hand player and i did then 2-1,3-1,4-2,5-3... i have no problems dealing with them anymore.

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:19 AM
Backlund

vCash: 50
I'm right handed and I originally shot right up until I was around 10 or 11, after that I was forced to switch to my left and have never turned back.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:28 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

My brother shoots left, throws right, bats left, golfs right, putts left, but politically he's right down the middle.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
adaptation

On a side note - Holmstrom uses a flat blade.

As for the right handed question, it goes back to something much more inherent to human beings - why are more people right handed then left handed.

adaptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Dissonance

Interesting stat from the New York Times, circa 2010: "According to sales figures from stick manufacturers, a majority of Canadian hockey players shoot left-handed, and a majority of American players shoot right-handed."

One theory for why Americans are more likely to shoot right-handed--they're more likely to pick up a baseball bat as a kid (which typically involves left hand closer to the end of the bat, on the bottom), which makes shooting right-handed feel more natural.

Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote