HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I did think we would end up higher than top 5. So I guess we go back to plan B which most likely will be to build up and even more stronger defense. Not what we would have hoped for....but not that bad either. Can't imagine a Dumba or Trouba falling to us. Or the unsexy pick in Murray. Or can they go as far as making Reilly their pick? Pouliot, Ceci? Or will they make Girgemsons their pick? And if we pick 10ish...trade it and try to pick higher in the 1st round to get 2 of Di Giuseppe, Thrower or Nieves.
If we're picking 10th and Rielly is there, you take that and run. He'll step in for Markov once he leaves/retires and keep that PP afloat by himself.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
If we're picking 10th and Rielly is there, you take that and run. He'll step in for Markov once he leaves/retires and keep that PP afloat by himself.
Rielly....here's a guy I'll spell correctly once every month. I'd pick him as well. But while I don't know a whole lot from the inside, I do have sometimes a few infos. Really not often. And I heard that they had mixed feeling about him. Yet, at 10th, chances are he becomes a BPA.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Artie

thought this would be of interest

FC’s scouting director Dan Stewart tackles the rise of Alex Galchenyuk in March’s ranking of the 2012 draft, New England-based draft eligibles, the search for a Cam Neely clone, WHL sleepers and Philip Tot in this edition of ‘Five For Stewart’

1. I’m wondering how can a guy that play no games this year still can manage to go up in the rankings in front of Grigorenko, Dumba and Forsberg ?

This is in regards to injured Galchenyuk moving into the top three in FC’s March rankings while high-end prospects who have had very productive seasons to date slipping.

First, it needs to be understood, the way our rankings are put together is not a running tally of where we might have had them last month in relation to how they have done over the past three or four weeks. Each month, FC’s list is built from scratch based on how all of our scouts think these prospects will project out at the NHL level.

Individually, while Galchenyuk has not played a regular season game with the Sting, during the games we saw him play last season it was apparent he has elite talent. One thing that is also apparent during his injury is his determination and work ethic to get back on the ice before the season closes.

In relation to Mikhail Grigorenko, who has had a hot and cold first North American season with Quebec despite his great numbers seen on the scoresheet, Galchenyuk compares well talent Grigorenko brings but it can be argued that his work ethic and consistency is far and away more projectable to an impact NHLer.

While the illusion is that Galchenyuk has risen over the likes of Mathew Dumba and Filip Forsberg in FC’s March ranking, the truth is that some small deficiencies have been observed in the other prospects previously ranked ahead of him and when compared to Galchenyuk in our monthly rankings, these prospects have slipped marginally.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Rielly....here's a guy I'll spell correctly once every month. I'd pick him as well. But while I don't know a whole lot from the inside, I do have sometimes a few infos. Really not often. And I heard that they had mixed feeling about him. Yet, at 10th, chances are he becomes a BPA.
Kind of surprising since he's a great skater with offensive upside. Maybe it's the injury? Size?

I mean, he's pretty much a more skilled Beaulieu and he was our pick last year. Other than the injury,

Old
03-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Kind of surprising since he's a great skater with offensive upside. Maybe it's the injury? Size?

I mean, he's pretty much a more skilled Beaulieu and he was our pick last year. Other than the injury,
I didn't get that part. No idea why. Maybe they want to diversify the back end. No idea.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Artie

Quote:
I didn't get that part. No idea why. Maybe they want to diversify the back end. No idea.
That would be Tinordi though...Beaulieu and Tinordi at different end of spectrum.

Buttons has him slotted #4.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
FeelsLike93

Its gonna be a pretty tough blow if we draft a little past #5 and have to pass up on a elite forward. If we draft another dman though are crop of defenseman is in very good shape. Little thin on forward prospects though particularly centers.

All the teams in the bottom of the east have been sucking extra hard lately its gonna be very tight and hard to predict if we pick #3 or up to #7-8.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Just hope Toronto does not get Galchenyuk. That is all!!

Old
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM
CN_paladin

Still there are only 12 games left so getting 12 points out of 21 will probably ensure a top 3 pick. Let Weber and Diaz play 20 minutes a night please RC!

Old
03-13-2012, 10:40 PM
dm1371

Gally playing tomorrow!

Old
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Do you think Yakupov injury will affect at all his selection come Draft day?

Old
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Considering Galchenyuk's stock keeps rising without him even playing a game this season, I don't think Yakupov will drop from #1 overall.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Captain Saku

Worst case scenario we're picking 7. We can hope one of the forwards slides to us but it's unlikely. We'll still get a solid defenseman though.

Best case scenario is of course picking top 3. I predict we pick at no. 5.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Artie

Quote:
unless there is concern about long term effects of the injury, there is no reason for his ranking to drop.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:13 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
probably size and defensive game. he could be Mike Green like. I like Rielly a lot, also his injury is a concern. He might make a comeback in the playoff

Also this is not a good draft, so its pretty normal to have mixed feeling about x player. Heck Yakupov is going #1 and i have mixed feeling about him.

Quote:
Its his first concussion so i dont think its going to be a concern. Unless he's out longer than 1 weeks like he's supposed to

Old
03-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Shutdown

So apparently it's pronounced Galchenuke

Old
03-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
The feeling is mutual!

Old
03-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, let's be clear that it was *one* scout saying that. I don't really read it anywhere else. But I do get where it is coming from. I like the Kozlov comparison a lot too, based on the couple games I saw Grigorenko. I'm just not sure we should read that one published mini-blurb on TSN as the definitive word on the street on Grigorenko.

I think we're kind of at the end-of-regular-season mini-blending period in the rankings. Where everybody has had a chance now to get familiar with all the names in play, and they all have their redeeming traits and perceived faults, but we're still waiting for that last separation that comes with the playoffs and WU-18.

Grigorenko and what one scout said:
I read it from TSN and maybe another site...forget the name.
The Kozlov comparison scares me a bit. I'm not a huge fan of Kozlov. I LOVE Malkin's style, size, height, and how he is amzaingly skilled, BUT...I really don't like how Malkin disappears sometimes for 10 or 15 games. 10 mil/year more or less and you shouldn't have the right to slack for 10 or 15 games. You're paid for every single game. This is why I prefer Crosby to Malkin...Crosby is there EVERY GAME (or 81 out of 82!!). I've seen Grigorenko only a few times (quickly on TSN) and find that he skates or looks (style, the way he skates) a little like Malkin out there...will he be a LAZY MALKIN? (doesn't show up). Or an amazing Malkin (#1 or 2 in NHL like this season and when he was ON/HOT), or no Malkin or even Kozlov at all...
In a nutshell...if Toronto acquired Galchenyuk I would be more afraid of Toronto (a little!). If they (TO) acquired Grigorenko I would laugh a bit (not too much though! 'cause Grigorenko has that potential to be a Malkin or close!!, but too many scouts have written negative things about his desire/work ethic/heart,etc).

Galchenyuk:
yup! we will all have to see how he plays with his comeback from his injury...he should really take his time to get back into it... WHL/OHL/CHL PLAYOFFS...maybe his value will drop a little and we will have a chance to pick him up!!! (if we get out of the top 3 or top 5)....Can't wait for the JUNE DRAFT!! I wish the season ended right now so we'd have 3rd overall...and right now!!! (we're all going to get ulcers waiting/hoping for our Habs to lose as many as possible!! it's weird to hope for this but we have nothing else right now and a top 3 or top 5 pick is amazing consolation for such a miserable season...let's just hope our best that we get it!!). I'm going to pray we don't go UP to 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th...please stay in the bottom 5!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-14-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old
03-14-2012, 02:40 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
As long as we remain top 8 we should get a good player. #1 is Yakupov is above everyone else. From 2-8 isn't much a big difference. Drafting higher means you have more options.

Nail Yakupov (Pavel Bure)
------------------
Mathew Dumba (PK Subban)
Mikhail Grigorenko (Anze Kopitar)
Ryan Murray (Andrei Markov)
Filip Forsberg (Tomas Vanek)
Alex Galchenyuk (Jonathan Toews)
Morgan Rielly (Keith Yandle)
Radek Faksa (Marian Hossa)
Jacob Trouba (Jack Johnson)
From what I've read...

Yakupov: I thought there were comparisons with Datsyuk, no...??

Dumba: comparisons to Phaneuf (some of his hits) and M.Green, and Subban as well.

Ryan Murray: Scott Niedermayer

Faksa: read it too...compared to M.Hossa (Marcel just kidding!).

Grigorenko: Viktor Kozlov... but from the little I've see of him on ice (TSN) he reminds me of Malkin (size, height, the way he skates, style... doesn't mean he is a Malkin!).

We all know a Jonathan Toews is what we need...is Galchenyuk really compared to Toews? (TSN? professional scouts? journalists?).

I'd be happy with Galchenyuk or Dumba or maybe Forsberg (maybe??), Murray (maybe?), or Rielly?

Old
03-14-2012, 05:20 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Ryan Murray: Scott Niedermayer
?
Haven't seen Murray play so no idea if the comparisons to Niedermayer have any merit but if they do, I can't see him falling out of the top 5 based on concerns about some of the other guys. If I'm the Oilers and I have a shot at a D of this calibre, I take him. Just my 2 cents.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Beakermania*

10th would take a massive run

Its not like every team ahead of us will go 0-12 to finish, heck they play each other at times

I'm still thinking top 5

Old
03-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

We never know. Grigorenko could fall Couturier style.

Old
03-14-2012, 07:25 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The problem with guys like Rielly and Dumba is they don't add a new dimension to our team nor our prospect pool.

Trouba is fine because he could essentially replace Ryan McDonagh. A two-way minute cruncher, playing the tough minutes.

Outside of that, I'm really hoping for a forward.

Old
03-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
We never know. Grigorenko could fall Couturier style.
The way I hear people in the hockey world talking about him, wouldn't be surprised if he did. Would be good for us since we suck at tanking too

Old
03-14-2012, 07:39 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
The ****ing Maple Leafs..can't they just be decent one ****ing year?? It has to be the year that we have a ****** team and tank that they take a nose dive in the second half and can't win a ****ing game to save their life..

Closed Thread