HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke Really Isn't The GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
03-10-2012, 09:57 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

vCash: 500
Burke Really Isn't The GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs

He's really more like a hockey vice president.

Firing Brian Burke would barely affect the stability of the current franchise other than initial sorting out of the front office hierarchy.

GM's responsibilities:

1. Trade talks
- Admits that there are several GM's in the NHL who he doesn't speak to. Nonis does that work.
2. Contract negotiations - Nonis
3. Cap Calculations - Someone else's responsibility.
4. Scouting - Most GM's only scout 1st round picks and NHL teams as an overseer. Losing Burke's influence on scouting would be minimal.
5. Forming A Direction for the Team - The push behind the direction of wasting draft picks/roster spots on obsolete, low-ceiling goons like Broll, Devane, Greenop, Orr and Rosehill. The impatience of forcing the Kessel trade in a failed attempt to expedite a competitive team. Are we going to miss this type of direction?
6. Profile With the League - Pull with the NHL. This really is a higher executive role anyways. This is one area where Burke has it over many of his contemporaries. Probably only Burke could have gotten the Leafs into that outdoor game. (Is the Leafs' participation in that game at risk? Does the NHL want a bottom dweller in that game?)

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

We should have a contest on here called "How many different ways can you say: "Fire Brian Burke?""

After all, seems like dozens of users are already participating.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Boom King

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Actually, he's also President.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

del·e·gate   [n. del-i-git, -geyt; v. del-i-geyt] Show IPA noun, verb, -gat·ed, -gat·ing.

verb (used with object)
to send or appoint (a person) as deputy or representative.
to commit (powers, functions, etc.) to another as agent or deputy.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:07 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Actually, he's also President.
And god

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:10 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Wtf burke doesn't do anything fire burke.

Not srs. 10/10 thread, its really factual when the op says "someone else's responsibility"

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Firing Brian Burke would barely affect the stability of the current franchise other than initial sorting out of the front office hierarchy.

GM's responsibilities:

1. Trade talks
- Admits that there are several GM's in the NHL who he doesn't speak to. Nonis does that work.
4. Scouting - Most GM's only scout 1st round picks and NHL teams as an overseer. Losing Burke's influence on scouting would be minimal.
5. Forming A Direction for the Team - The push behind the direction of wasting draft picks/roster spots on obsolete, low-ceiling goons like Broll, Devane, Greenop, Orr and Rosehill. The impatience of forcing the Kessel trade in a failed attempt to expedite a competitive team. Are we going to miss this type of direction?
6. Profile With the League - Pull with the NHL. This really is a higher executive role anyways. This is one area where Burke has it over many of his contemporaries. Probably only Burke could have gotten the Leafs into that outdoor game. (Is the Leafs' participation in that game at risk? Does the NHL want a bottom dweller in that game?)
OK, sure...is that you Brian...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

I don't mean to but in here, and I am not taking sides regarding Burke. But the OP basically just described what a General Manager does. He hires good people. He delegates authority. He tasks individuals with specific roles and makes sure they have the necessary tools to do an effective job. When the ultimate tough decisions need to be made, he takes all of the input from his top people and takes action.

I mean, this is what a GM does. Not just in hockey, but in any form of business. What exactly do you think a GM is supposed to do?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:38 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post
I don't mean to but in here, and I am not taking sides regarding Burke. But the OP basically just described what a General Manager does. He hires good people. He delegates authority. He tasks individuals with specific roles and makes sure they have the necessary tools to do an effective job. When the ultimate tough decisions need to be made, he takes all of the input from his top people and takes action.

I mean, this is what a GM does. Not just in hockey, but in any form of business. What exactly do you think a GM is supposed to do?
Smile and nod

Don't question it. Just makes these threads worse.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:39 AM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
We should have a contest on here called "How many different ways can you say: "Fire Brian Burke?""

agreed.

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer View Post

Absolutely. He manages these processes. Thanks for posting a slice of reality.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:00 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgbill View Post
Absolutely. He manages these processes. Thanks for posting a slice of reality.
Also a slice of reality. The Leafs are not a very good hockey team. Is this any of Brian Burke's responsibility as the GM?

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:07 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Damn, let hire him as GM then. He brought a cup to Anahiem!

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Also a slice of reality. The Leafs are not a very good hockey team. Is this any of Brian Burke's responsibility as the GM?
But that has nothing to do with whether he is doing the actual job of a GM. That's a whole different can of worms, and there can be arguments made on both sides, as to whether or not one thinks he is doing his job well. But make no mistake, what was described by the OP is the basic definition of managing.

I often get the sense on HF Boards that people think GMs are like superheros or something. I mean, Ken Holland is the best in the business, in my opinion, but it's not like the guy jumps in a phone booth, throws on his cape and superman underwear, and then springs into action. He manages people, who in turn help him make decisions and manage the team. Same as Burke does.

There shouldn't be any question as to if Burke is the GM of Toronto (he is). The argument of whether or not he is doing a good job will be debated here for quite awhile longer, I'm sure.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42119

Unless the Leafs site has a typo or something...

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
number72

I think Poulin does contracts and another one of his minions of assistant GM manages the marlies (can't recall who now). He basically manages the assistant managers who do the work and gets more involved in areas that concern him. And Burke also has the media duties (another area given the bad publicity he and leafs are getting, that he is falling). In addition he reports team progress and his unit financial performance to the Board. And finally he has community responsibilities associated with the leafs. These are community events functions he and leafs are involved with to improve the brand image of the struggling leafs (and make people feel happier about paying out big ticket prices to watch a poor performing team). I think he does quite well on his community involvement duties.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Fire Burke

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:21 PM
BIitz
BPA Free Lining

I for one thing Burke does a damn good job taking the pressure off of the players. When was the last time we had a whole Kessel "fiasco" even amidst all the losing? It's been about Burke 24.7.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
I for one thing Burke does a damn good job taking the pressure off of the players. When was the last time we had a whole Kessel "fiasco" even amidst all the losing? It's been about Burke 24.7.
The players have certainly paid him back for taking the pressure off of them. What a bunch of ingrates.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Fire Nonis for trading for Kessell! Its all his fault.

Morguee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post

Actually the contest should be, how many ways can we say it isn't Burke's fault.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Boom King

Quote:
I actually think the mid-season coaching change puts more pressure now on the players than before where Wilson was the obvious scape goat and paid for that with his job. Burke certainly didn't deflect any pressure off his players by saying at the time as well that he believes they are still a playoff calibre club. If there's one glaring criticism of this club during this freefall, it's been their inability to perform under pressure. Fans were booing the Leafs at the ACC, don't think that falls on deaf ears. Kessel has been mostly consistent and kept his mouth shut this season as opposed to last year and probably one of the few positives we can salvage from this year.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Confucius

Quote:
If I'm one of the American players on the team, Damn straight I'd be happy Burke's taken the attention AWAY from me.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Aplayaz2000

ohh man

i just hope burke is around when 24/7 hits

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:57 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:

GM's responsibilities:

1. Trade talks
If firing Burke wouldn't really change anything why would we fire Burke?

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote