HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Power Outage in Toronto. 0-0 after overtime. Flyers 1 in skills competition.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
No offense man, I honestly don't mean to be rude, but when we have to qualify things like tied 1 in regulation to make a coach in this case seem like he's getting the job done, it really exemplifies the problems with this fanbase.

This city is a loser sports town partially because we don't demand more. Look at this Burke situation, we have people calling him the best GM the Leafs have ever had when he hasn't gotten this team closer to jack****. The vast majority of posters voted no in the Fire Burke poll, a 3:1 ratio basically, because they legitimately believe that JFJ and Fletcher left Burke with little to nothing of value and therefore justifying the nonexistent improvement in the standings. On top of that, Burke has miscalculated the quality of his team every season he's been here without fail and yet so many don't even blink an eye or questions the guy.

I honestly cannot believe that some people legitimately think he is the best GM we've had when we've had guys like Quinn and Fletcher (first stint) who've gotten us further than Burke can even dream of doing at this point
I understand your fustration.

For the record, I am in the camp that Burke will have to have in place a team that will not only make the playoffs next season but be competitive or he will have to be replaced. There are some good things he has done since arriving here, rebuilding the farm system and a couple of nice trades, but he can't dine off this forever.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:30 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Why do people keep saying it was a boring game. Because of the low score? Maybe the 1st period was semi boring, but there's nothing like a tight defensive game, 0-0, chances, posts, speed, breakaways, fights, hits, etc. It was exciting in my eyes.

I love these kind of games. Solid D play, then the other team makes 1 mistake and bam! you score.

Amazing hockey. I hope we keep it up!!
I am laughing because many of the same people that preached "Fire Wilson - hire a defense first coach!" are complaining that a 0-0 game was too boring.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannigansLaw View Post
I honestly cannot believe that some people legitimately think he is the best GM we've had when we've had guys like Quinn and Fletcher (first stint) who've gotten us further than Burke can even dream of doing at this point
The last time Leafs went a stretch of 2 wins in 15 games was 1997-98 season and 15 years ago, when Mike Murphy was coach and Ken Dryden was GM. The 1997-98 season under Ken Dryden was among the worst years for Leaf Nation fans of the past 2 decades, as the team finished 4th from the bottom that year.

History is said to repeat itself, and we're reliving it right now through the current teams on ice performance reflecting the failures of the past.

Oh, for the record both coach Murphy and GM Dryden were both replaced by Pat Quinn taking on both positions, and Leafs went from bottom 4 overall finish to losing in the 3rd round of the playoffs in 1999 after the management change in the 1st season thereafter.

Is history finished repeating itself as the coach has already been dismissed?

Last edited by Mess: 03-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The last time Leafs went a stretch of 2 wins in 15 games was 1997 and 15 years ago, when Mike Murphy was coach and Ken Dryden was GM.

The 1997 and 1998 seasons under Ken Dryden years where among the worst years for Leaf Nation of the past 2 decades, as the team finished 4th from the bottom that year.

History is said to repeat itself, and we're reliving it right now.
Yup, followed by a coaching change and a run to the conference finals.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
LWTTXII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post

LWTTXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
I am laughing because many of the same people that preached "Fire Wilson - hire a defense first coach!" are complaining that a 0-0 game was too boring.
I don't think it's the system that makes a team exciting to watch rather than it's the players. Run and Gun wasn't exciting to me, it was a fustrating way of watching hockey, maybe I am a purist but I always cite those 2 great years under Pat Burns when he brought us to the brink of the finals. Those were the most exciting teams I have watched as a Leafs fan. If you have the players, hockey is exciting, rather than the system makes hockey exciting.

Last edited by Interactif: 03-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:49 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
My game comments:
I thought ashton played a lot like Colby Armstrong (without the pest qualities)
Gus played really well
Kulemin and Mac have 0 finish
the connolly-bozak-kessel line has to be the softest one I have ever seen
Komi has really turned it around
I hate seeing frattin on the fourth line
Yep, but I don't think it is finish it is more than that. Mac an open net post, Kulemin a puck that won't lay flat and Kulemin with another post. I think that is 3 straight games he's had one off the post.

Those off the post shots don't count on the shot counter either, so his shooting percentage would be lower.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.

Last edited by ULF_55: 03-11-2012 at 11:56 AM.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Midna

Quote:

Midna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:13 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
You would be wrong in making blanket statements.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:50 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The last time Leafs went a stretch of 2 wins in 15 games was 1997-98 season and 15 years ago, when Mike Murphy was coach and Ken Dryden was GM. The 1997-98 season under Ken Dryden was among the worst years for Leaf Nation fans of the past 2 decades, as the team finished 4th from the bottom that year.

History is said to repeat itself, and we're reliving it right now through the current teams on ice performance reflecting the failures of the past.

Oh, for the record both coach Murphy and GM Dryden were both replaced by Pat Quinn taking on both positions, and Leafs went from bottom 4 overall finish to losing in the 3rd round of the playoffs in 1999 after the management change in the 1st season thereafter.

Is history finished repeating itself as the coach has already been dismissed?
Your history is wrong. Ken Dryden was an interim GM as he never wanted that job he wanted the team President title as an over head of everything after which he hired Mike Smith as GM and it was he who hired Quinn as head coach. Quinn became both GM and coach in the following year when Smith resigned due to his Wife's health with Cancer Dryden did not want the GM title gave it to Quinn who went on to turn a young team that made it into the conference finals that Smith put together into an over the hill old man team that couldn't stay healthy.

History isn't repeating it's self thank god don't want to see the old man club return and Burke wont be fired which is a good thing rather you like it or not.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:57 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You would be wrong in making blanket statements.
That is not a blanket statement. Many of the same people screaming fire Wilson are complaining that a 0-0 game was too boring. Saying all would be a blanket statement.

It gets even better. Many of the tankers are in this same group, Many of those tankers were the ones freaking out when we loss.

Oh there is more. ... Many of those this group are the ones who screamed Wilson is why we are losing ... but still screamed "fire Wilson". While apparently wanting to tank.

None of these are blanket statement. These are all clearly talking about a group of people that have stopped thinking logically.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:00 PM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Well since youtube isnt working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s

I Am The Stig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Kessel is a highly skilled player who has a great release. He has great speed. He also has great on ice vision.

The issues with Kessel is that he does not compete hard and avoids the dirty areas of the ice. He is a perimeter player. Kessel will never be a player who will win puck battles but he could improve his work ethic when the puck is heading south.

Teams are made up of many different kinds of players, but they should all have a common focus....work hard towards winning hockey games...and at this point in the season he has pull the chute.....

It is not very often that a young player who can score is made available at such a young age, but Boston got more then enough in return for a player that they knew did not fit into their long term plans.

Carlyle will get sick of his act and he will have options, play and compete or sit and watch.
Your post is ridiculous, blaming Kessel for the Leafs' problems. Kessel and Lupul carried the entire team for most of the season. If the KGM line were anywhere near as good as last year, the Leafs' would probably be comfortably in 6th place.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote