HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Sacramento's chances for an NHL team?

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 12:00 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 50
Sacramento's chances for an NHL team?

There's an "OT" thread that deals with the NBA Kings situation, and how the arena affects it, and possibly Seattle's chances for an arena. What I want to discuss here is an NHL team in the proposed new Sacramento arena, which is a different topic.

First question is obviously will the arena be NHL-capable, or will it be NBA-specific (like Barclays' Center on Long Island)? The only info I've been able to find so far is the "term sheet" that Sacramento city council approved. See <'Term sheet' details> in the Sacramento Bee article. A few of the relavant points...
  • Arena would have 18,500 basketball capacity, 50 to 70 suites, 693,000 square feet.
  • Opening date of September 2015.
  • AEG operates arena for 30 years under lease with city.
  • the article also mentions "the Kings and arena operator AEG to build a $391 million arena in the downtown railyard"
I assume that Bettman and AEG have each other's phone number in their "speed-dial-memory", and there would be at least some talk of making the new building (if finally approved) NHL-capable. Comments anyone?

So the arena opens in September 2015? Too late for the Coyotes, but just right for the Islanders.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
AEG has a building sitting in Kansas City waiting for an NHL team to move in. California is pretty saturated for hockey right now, there doesn't need to be another one in Sacramento.

AHL might be a different story.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:10 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
non existent in my opinion

Old
03-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Melrose Munch

Bigger then KC. California has more people then Canada has has worked for hockey.

They also have the Ottawa problem. Maybe Bettman should get the Maloofs intrested? They could use the cash injection.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
There's an "OT" thread that deals with the NBA Kings situation, and how the arena affects it, and possibly Seattle's chances for an arena. What I want to discuss here is an NHL team in the proposed new Sacramento arena, which is a different topic.

First question is obviously will the arena be NHL-capable, or will it be NBA-specific (like Barclays' Center on Long Island)? The only info I've been able to find so far is the "term sheet" that Sacramento city council approved. See <'Term sheet' details> in the Sacramento Bee article. A few of the relavant points...
  • Arena would have 18,500 basketball capacity, 50 to 70 suites, 693,000 square feet.
  • the article also mentions "the Kings and arena operator AEG to build a $391 million arena in the downtown railyard"
I assume that Bettman and AEG have each other's phone number in their "speed-dial-memory", and there would be at least some talk of making the new building (if finally approved) NHL-capable. Comments anyone?

So the arena opens in September 2015? Too late for the Coyotes, but just right for the Islanders.
It will be NHL compatible. At least 17k for hockey. Saw it on the local news.

Maybe the poster Pinkfloyd can update you.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:19 AM
AceFace905

No chance Sacramento gets an NHL team. They LOVE the Kings, and that's why they're getting a new building--not enough love in that market to spread to a second big league team. I could see AHL or ECHL in there maybe though.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post

It will be hockey compliant. It will be in everyone's best interest that is involved with this project to pursue a hockey franchise of some variety. The NHL is a lofty goal that the market would support, I feel. The AHL is more realistic only if the NHL teams agreed on a western relocation.

AEG is the operator of the arena, not the owner. They will be able to inform them of how suitable the arena is for a hockey team but not much more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
AEG has a building sitting in Kansas City waiting for an NHL team to move in. California is pretty saturated for hockey right now, there doesn't need to be another one in Sacramento.

AHL might be a different story.
Saying California is saturated for hockey is way too generic of a statement. Do you honestly think that Sacramento is impacted by the LA area having two teams? Same goes for the Sharks in San Jose.

Sacramento is 120 miles from San Jose. They are their own market and it would work if given the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFace905 View Post
No chance Sacramento gets an NHL team. They LOVE the Kings, and that's why they're getting a new building--not enough love in that market to spread to a second big league team. I could see AHL or ECHL in there maybe though.
There's enough love for the Kings that they're going with the plan that has the arena be compliant for hockey. The Maloofs have long been interested in a hockey team. They likely won't get one now due to their economic state but making it hockey complaint is a sure sign that they want to bring hockey to the state capitol.

There is plenty of support in this area for an NHL team if they give it a chance.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:51 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

This has been covered under previous threads.

Please use the search function before starting new threads.

(No -- too close to San Jose; there would be territory indemnification due.)

Closed Thread