HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #5

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I feel like a lot of progress has been made here; a couple months ago every goal last night would have been blamed on Bryz.

I'm encouraged.
no doubt.

and Bryz is currently playing right at his career numbers.

kinda curious why the exact same numbers weren't worthy of the benefit of the doubt 6 games into his 9 year deal .....
but, then again, i never did get the whole Neg-A-Delphia thing, anyway

just sayin'

Old
03-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
no doubt.

and Bryz is currently playing right at his career numbers.

kinda curious why the exact same numbers weren't worthy of the benefit of the doubt 6 games into his 9 year deal .....
but, then again, i never did get the whole Neg-A-Delphia thing, anyway

just sayin'
Almost everybody was still giving him the benefit of the doubt at that point. You may recall that he continued to suck pretty badly for a few months after that. Like, he was one of the worst goalies in the NHL for quite a while this season. Remember the "When will Bob be starter" thread, or whatever it was called? Most people thought that thread was insanity when it was first posted and argued that it was too short a time span to sell him short. A month or two later, when the awful performances were still rolling in, it suddenly became a valid question.

But please, do go ahead and extrapolate the alarmist opinions of a small handful of posters and use it to distort what people were actually arguing or saying.

03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Let's be realistic. They posted tripe. Almost overwhelmingly people who were criticizing Bryz were doing so for the right reasons, and put the caveats on their statements like "at the moment" "right now" "hope it turns around" or had declared so elsewhere.

Many people were barely able to stomach that nonsense (in fact, I have JXC on ignore--which is a rare rare thing for me to do).

Coming in and smugly pretending you're somehow vindicated is hilarious.

You were defending the sinking of the Titanic and now act like you were somehow right about the boat not sinking because you got away on a life raft.

Old
03-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Kaktus*

Bryzgalov is tanking for #6.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Sorry, you've have ZERO to do with it. Bryz's good play is the reason. The only reason.

Talk about an ego trip.
No, I'm trying to compliment you and the other Bryz bashers on the evolution.

There's no question that you and others would have filled yesterday's GDT with woe had that game been played just a mere eight weeks ago.

Remember, he should have made this save:

I just find it much more enjoyable here now that we can all see clearly, that's all. Not slashing at anyone, just sayin' I like it more.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Almost overwhelmingly people who were criticizing Bryz were doing so for the right reasons, and put the caveats on their statements like "at the moment" "right now" "hope it turns around" or had declared so elsewhere.
This is utterly false.

This is from trade deadline day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Bryz for Vokoun.

We just owe Wash every top 5 pick now till Snider passes.
Nope. No caveats.

I'm just glad things have changed is all. We're back to talkin' hockey and that's great.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:18 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Jeez I haven't heard that 9 years thing in weeks.

It's good to be right.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
No, I'm trying to compliment you and the other Bryz bashers on the evolution.

There's no question that you and others would have filled yesterday's GDT with woe had that game been played just a mere eight weeks ago.

Remember, he should have made this save:

I just find it much more enjoyable here now that we can all see clearly, that's all. Not slashing at anyone, just sayin' I like it more.
Will you stop with that example? It's the only example you apparently have, and as I recall there weren't a whole load of people who persisted that he should have had that after the anger of the game faded. It was very few, in fact. So...it doesn't really even work, since only a tiny minority thought he should have stopped that, yet you act like half the fan base was foaming at the mouth.

And seriously, what were you right about? You act like you're the only person who wanted him to succeed. Your bragging is childish. Bryzgalov was absolutely atrocious for most of this season. Pretty much everybody on this forum who saw that and called it as it was isn't sitting around bragging about how we were right about the obvious.

Almost everyone here (besides..what, 2-3 people?) wanted Bryz to be better. We wanted him to succeed, and we knew he could be much better than he was. That's a big part of why people were angry; they didn't understand why a guy who had been so good was suddenly sucking. Almost everyone was hopeful he could put it together at some point.

Here are the facts: The vast majority of people wanted Bryz to play well here, and knew he should be better; people spent a lot of time trying to figure out what had happened, and if/when he could succeed here. For most of this season, his play was in the gutter. Everyone who was asking those questions was absolutely right to do so.

If anything, you're the guy who's wrong, because it seems as though you refuse to see how bad he was. I just don't see what your victory is, so your gloating and conceit are nonsensical. If claiming that a player who is playing terribly and sucking isn't doing that, despite it being reality, is a victory to you, then I don't think you know what victory is.

Edit: I mean no offense and I apologize if I've misunderstood what you're saying. I'm just telling you how it comes across.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old
03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Jeez I haven't heard that 9 years thing in weeks.

It's good to be right.
4 years too long, possibly 5.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Will you stop with that example? It's the only example you apparently have
I think I have one of Tampa's 50 goal scorer alone at the crease after a cross ice pass on the powerplay, another one that Bryz didn't even try to stop!!!

Want me to find it???

Quote:
You act like you're the only person who wanted him to succeed. Your bragging is childish.
I think your recollection is inaccurate. The Bryz Bashers NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER said they wanted him to succeed. They wanted Bob.

It's in the record.

Quote:
Here are the facts: The vast majority of people wanted Bryz to play well here, and knew he should be better; people spent a lot of time trying to figure out what had happened, and if/when he could succeed here. For most of this season, his play was in the gutter. Everyone who was asking those questions was absolutely right to do so.
I don't remember any questions. I remember accusations, ire, and moaning.

Quote:
If anything, you're the guy who's wrong, because it seems as though you refuse to see how bad he was. I just don't see what your victory is, so your gloating and conceit are nonsensical. If claiming that a player who is playing terribly and sucking isn't doing that, despite it being reality, is a victory to you, then I don't think you know what victory is.
I'm not claiming victory. I am just saying that I feel good about being right in my assertion that Bryz is a franchise goaltender while the majority ("2 or 3 people" is just not accurate) wanted him gone or benched or booed out of town.

And I am saying that I feel like BP1974 and I did some great work in moving the bashers off their pedestals so GDTs during games like yesterday's can be clear and accurate instead of being full of anger and nonsensical mobbery.

That's all, this is a better place now that things have changed and people see clearly. It's a delightful change.

Last edited by JXC: 03-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old
03-27-2012, 09:01 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Edit: I mean no offense and I apologize if I've misunderstood what you're saying. I'm just telling you how it comes across.
I understand and I appreciate you saying this.

But I do think you are mistaken if you think it was just 2 or 3 people and that the criticism was accompanied by well-wishing and questions. The majority i recall was just pure dogpiling.

Ah well, onward and upward, though I think they'd struggle against new York or Pittsburgh in a playoffs.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Eh. You've said your piece, I've said mine. It's clear we're just gonna go around in endless circles.

At least New York is struggling lately. I don't like the look of Pittsburgh.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
I'm not claiming victory. I am just saying that I feel good about being right in my assertion that Bryz is a franchise goaltender while the majority ("2 or 3 people" is just not accurate) wanted him gone or benched or booed out of town.

And I am saying that I feel like BP1974 and I did some great work in moving the bashers off their pedestals so GDTs during games like yesterday's can be clear and accurate instead of being full of anger and nonsensical mobbery.
correct, there was so much 'dogpiling' it was non-sensical.
and it was FAR more than the 2 or 3 'WAY over the top' critics.

i don't feel like I did anything other than give Bryz more than 26 games to see what he can do, based on career results. i get no credit for anything other being level-headed

the original 'contract worth' thread was started 6 games into the 9 year contract, so people weren't even giving him the benefit of the doubt THAT soon

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren update on Ilya Bryzgalov: "Doing better. We believe Ilya will practice tomorrow (Friday)."

Old
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

No, questioning whether he could ever be worth that contract came up more or less when terms became known in the offseason. Because signing a goalie for 5.6 million dollars with a NMC while paying him significant money until he's 38 is incredibly stupid. I don't care who the goalie is, it's not a smart idea. You know how Briere's contract is looking like dead weight right now? Deadweight goalies are far more detrimental and useless.

Edit: and if you want to pat yourself on the back for refusing to see/believe that a goalie was playing horribly, congrats I guess. There's a difference between being level headed and ignoring reality. You weren't just saying "wait and see," you were trying to argue that he wasn't playing badly. You defended almost every goal that went in.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:41 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I understand and I appreciate you saying this.

But I do think you are mistaken if you think it was just 2 or 3 people and that the criticism was accompanied by well-wishing and questions. The majority i recall was just pure dogpiling.

Ah well, onward and upward, though I think they'd struggle against new York or Pittsburgh in a playoffs.
It's not like it was just Flyer fans who thought Bryzgalov was underperforming, either. Pretty much every opponent / TSN / NHL Network broadcast noting Bryzgalov's struggles. The statistics showed that he was having a very bad season. Those are pretty clear. Bryzgalov himself noted that he needed to play better.

Yeah, it got over the top here frequently. I know I added to the venom, mostly in an attempt to be humorous, but also because I got fed up with the all-to-easily anticipated weak goals. But I also argued when I thought Bryzgalov was getting doused for a goal that I thought wasn't his fault.

Anger is what happens when expectations are very high. Mega-contracts create high expectations. That's something Bryzgalov had to overcome, and happily it looks like he did.

To summarize:
  • Bryzgalov was very bad
  • Bryzgalov is now very good
  • We are hopefully all happy with that

Old
03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It's not like it was just Flyer fans who thought Bryzgalov was underperforming, either.
EVERYBODY knew [including me] he was under performing.

and thats literally true, he was performing under what his career level had been up to this season.

but there was nothing to suggest 6 games, or 26 games into the 9 year deal that he was always gonna be a 'bust' for us, or that Bob was the answer, or that Bryz should be cut, or that he deserved the name-calling or derogatory avatars.

the extreme bashing & blaming for EVERY goal and deflection & bounce off opponents pants {along with a few that didn't count}
[not the deserved criticism for poor play, something that many, if not most did here]
was embarrassing.

Old
03-30-2012, 12:01 AM
PhilaFlyers

Old
03-30-2012, 07:30 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
4 years too long, possibly 5.
Correct. So, chop 5 years and add 2 million per year. Happy now? It was one, or the other.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Correct. So, chop 5 years and add 2 million per year. Happy now? It was one, or the other.
No it wasn't. Look at the goalie market from that offseason. We were competing against ourselves. the whole thing was a debacle the moment Snider opened his mouth.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
No it wasn't. Look at the goalie market from that offseason. We were competing against ourselves. the whole thing was a debacle the moment Snider opened his mouth.
Pretty much.

It's a horrendous contract for almost any goalie. Bryz is in a losing situation from the start because he's got a ridiculous contract that pretty much no goalie his age can live up too hanging over his head.

It's not his fault, it's the owner's fault. Dwelling on some of these athletes' contracts will just drive you crazy after a while though. You just have to hope they play well, and don't go the Redden/Gomez route.

If Bryz is a really good goalie for 5 years, and we win a cup then I'll live with the last 4. Kind of the way I'm gonna have to life with Howard's contract. He's on the Redden track though, he needs to pull himself out of it and hit well again.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Old
04-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Bryz might play Tues vs NYR according to Flyers / WIP

Old
04-02-2012, 01:17 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Bryz might play Tues vs NYR according to Flyers / WIP
good i don't want him hurt but i don't want him to lose his edge. the games are just getting more intense.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:30 PM
RussianRocket10

First star for March

Old
04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
mirimon

Congrats to Bryz, here's hoping he's the best for the remaining months as well.

Closed Thread