HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz Thread #5

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2012, 07:50 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the Flyers
And Bryz shuts out the league
Haters gotta hate.

Old
03-14-2012, 08:05 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Let's see if it comes crashing down. He's playing great, but still a lot of time left.

I'm surprised he's not getting any media attention on nhl network for turning his game around.
The TSN "That's Hockey" guys were slobbering all over him last night, and separately talking about how poor the Bruins' goaltending is of late. It was like Opposite Day.

Old
03-14-2012, 08:39 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I figured at some point his play had to improve, but he's basically made a complete 180. Don't think I've ever witnessed anything like it lol.

Old
03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

it's no surprise that with Kubina / Grossmann & the overall better team D, that Bryz has come around

Old
03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
it's no surprise that with Kubina / Grossmann & the overall better team D, that Bryz has come around
1.) Better team defense
2.) Confidence
3.) Vastly more technically sound play

All reasons why Bryz looks like Phoenix Bryz and not first 30 games Bryz.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:12 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Now that avatar is gold. Gold, Jerry.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Dig it.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
his movement has been noticeably better since the WC

Old
03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Cautiously optimistic.
me, too.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Please don't let this just be a hot a streak.

I hated Bryzgalov two months ago. Now I love him...

As long as he keeps this attitude and not the flippant selfish one he had earlier this season...

And as long as he keeps playing like he has talent instead of floating through his starts like before.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
his movement has been noticeably better since the WC
Forgetting about his movement, his positioning is much better. He is not hanging back on the goal line and is challenging the shooters at the top of the crease much more. For a goalie of his size, shooters have nothing to look at when he plays that aggressively. As I have mentioned before, if Bryz is forced to make a highlight reel save it's because he was out of position more often than naught.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:09 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

In my view, his chief correction has been being set when the shot is taken. Anyone who has played keeper in any sport (soccer, hockey, lacrosse) -- as well as anyone who has ever played tennis or third base -- knows how important that is.

If you are balanced when the play occurs, you can react effectively.

If you are on the move or off balance, you're 75% ****ed and only a supreme feat of athleticism (or plain darn luck) can save you then.

It was my observation that many of the bad goals Bryz surrendered got past him because he was going into the butterfly as the shot was struck.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Forgetting about his movement, his positioning is much better. He is not hanging back on the goal line and is challenging the shooters at the top of the crease much more. For a goalie of his size, shooters have nothing to look at when he plays that aggressively. As I have mentioned before, if Bryz is forced to make a highlight reel save it's because he was out of position more often than naught.
A lightbulb just went off thanks to you.

You remember when Reese took the bigger and slower Micheal Leighton and turned him into a "legitimate goaltender"?

There was a lot of talk that Leighton was out of position far less because we were using him like a glorified trashcan between the pipes. We had him playing further back and using his size while the defense covered the rest of the net.

I wonder if the extra weight and the unenthusiastic, at times lethargic and uninterested, play by Bryzgalov was a sign that Reese was trying to plug a square into a circle so to speak. Bryzgalov was never the sit back and let the pucks hit him kind of goaltender. Leighton had to be that in order to find any kind of success. Bryzgalov, as a much more athletic goaltender, does not.

I'm concerned that the organization pushed extra size (weight) and a more lethargic style of goaltending on Bryzgalov to sort of fit him into the system. Meanwhile I bet they were thinking, "Hey, it worked with Leighton. Why not?"

If this is exactly what happened, I hope it was Bryzgalov himself who voiced his problems with the way he was being used. His style is much more reminiscent of his days in Phoenix now. It's much more enthusiastic, much more involved. He needs to play like that.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Yeah. It was Matt Carle's and Lilja's fault Bryz couldn't catch a floater from the blue line for over half the season.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Forgetting about his movement, his positioning is much better.

that's what i call movement: moving to the right position

Old
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Yeah. It was Matt Carle's and Lilja's fault Bryz couldn't catch a floater from the blue line for over half the season.
It was, however, the defense's fault that players were left alone for easy one-timers, zones weren't getting cleared with regularity, and forwards could set up in front of the Flyers net and patiently wait for rebounds. It was also the skaters' fault that most games featured multiple odd-man rushes and breakaways, often from the red line in.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
It was, however, the defense's fault that players were left alone for easy one-timers, zones weren't getting cleared with regularity, and forwards could set up in front of the Flyers net and patiently wait for rebounds. It was also the skaters' fault that most games featured multiple odd-man rushes and breakaways, often from the red line in.
That happens in every defense. People who think we were giving up more chances, let alone significantly more, than opposing teams are really stretching it.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
1.) Better team defense
2.) Confidence

All reasons why Bryz looks like Phoenix Bryz and not first 30 games Bryz.
I also think a big reason is that he's finally been allowed to establish a good flow. Bryz has always been a workhorse and is built to play 65-70 games a season. Lavy's constant juggling of goaltenders after subpar outings had to mess with his psyche and rhythm.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
wow. you really hate Bryz, don't you?

you really just tried to turn the obvious difference that Kubina / Grossmann & the overall better team D, and how it has lessened the amount and severity of the scoring chances against, into another way to attack Bryz ?

wow.

by the way, he has only flubbed 3 floaters from the blue line all year .... but don't let that stop you from going to absurd negative extremes.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
And all those things continue to happen and have happened the past few games.

The only difference now is Bryz has actually saved more than he has let in.

I'm not saying the defense isn't better...it obviously is...but if anybody thinks Grossman and Kubina are the reason for Bryz's humongous big turnaround the past couple weeks, well that is just wrong IMO.

Bryz is the reason for his turnaround. Hopefully he continues to keep his head more in the game and and less up his butt.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

you really just tried to turn the obvious difference that Kubina / Grossmann & the overall better team D, and how it has lessened the amount and severity of the scoring chances against, into another way to attack Bryz ?

wow.

by the way, he has only flubbed 3 floaters from the blue line all year .... but don't let that stop you from going to absurd negative extremes.
Grossman and Kubina have been good.

Also Timonen and Meszaros have been out for quite a significant part of that stretch.

In fact, Bryz's best games came when his arguably best two defensemen were out.

To pin Bryz's better play just on Kubina and Grossman does not make sense logically or statistically.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:

wow.

wow.

wtf are you talking about. wow.

Bryz has been peppered the past few games (not so much last night) and has turned all but two away. wow.

wow. you will just find any excuse to defend this guys horrible play for the majority of the year. wow.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:48 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That happens in every defense. People who think we were giving up more chances, let alone significantly more, than opposing teams are really stretching it.
Of course every team will give up odd-man rushes, breakaways, etc., but I do indeed think the Flyers were guilty of giving up an inordinate amount of scoring chances. There were multiple games I listened to where the announcers (either Flyer or opposition) harped on the number of Flyer turnovers. That's my observation, though, unsupported by empirical evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8
And all those things continue to happen and have happened the past few games.

The only difference now is Bryz has actually saved more than he has let in.

I'm not saying the defense isn't better...it obviously is...but if anybody thinks Grossman and Kubina are the reason for Bryz's humongous big turnaround the past couple weeks, well that is just wrong IMO.

Bryz is the reason for his turnaround. Hopefully he continues to keep his head more in the game and and less up his butt.
I agree that Bryzgalov is the biggest reason for the turnaround, but it is no small factor that the defense got better and there are, in my opinion, fewer golden scoring chances. I'm looking for stats (eg, giveaways/takeaways), but haven't located them yet.

Last night, for example, the Flyers held NJ to 17 shots. From what I saw (only highlights, not the game), it seemed like the vast majority were routine saves and the Flyers controlled traffic well.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
If Bryz has played this well behind the "old" defense, he would have gotten a lot less flak and a lot fewer goals would have gone in. The defense wasn't good, but Bryz was just as bad if not worse. During his current streak there have been stretches where the D was sloppy/bad and Bryz bailed them out. That was something he just wasn't doing before.

03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Broad Street Elite

IMO, any reasonable person can see that the TEAM defense is better AND Bryz is playing better.

On the movement issue, 75% of movement is anticipation. Anticipation stems from confidence and preparation. The rest of the movement is strong on skates, closing 5-hole as you slide, getting to and holding a post, not over committing, etc.... technical skill stuff which you can easily see is better.

Great example, looking back at the beginning of the season, Bryz was almost frantic when a puck was being skated behind his net. He looked downright terrified as he craned his head from side to side. Now, he is anticipating a skate through, a stop and pass, a wrap around, etc and doesn't look like a caged animal. You'll even see him peeking out front to check the location of shooters should the pass come. It's night and day in that area, as an example.

Closed Thread