HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs defeat Canucks 4-1...What's a "Sedin"?

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 01:20 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
I don't think his effort is in question, it's everything else including his decision making.
None of that is making the team worse though. He may not be achieving to his potential but he sure is providing 2.5million$ worth of benefits. Everyone is frustrated because we know he can be great.

We have bigger problems than that.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:20 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Keep underestimating other teams please. A montreal team 28th placed team today outplayed yes they outplayed us, doesn't matter how we played today, they were better and they beat us in blowout manner. We weren't exactly playing completely terrible. We had 2 1/2 lines trying really hard and they were playing their best and 1 1/2 lines playing casual. If we gone full force I still don't expect us to beat them terribly. Montreal weren't really trying that hard either. That team is def a playoff caliber team as good as Chicago was last year....

Also they carried Boston to 7 games and came much closer to us at beating them than we did...

In the playoffs Boston had to face a Tampa Bay team that had its second line suddenly coming on fire and their goaltender playing real well. How is it easier than us facing a San Jose Team that was banged up after a 7 game series against Detroit...

Sigh really liking the biased views right now.
Chicago isn unquestionably a better team than Montreal. To say they're not is just lunacy.

Nashville and Philly are comparable, but Nashville is a harder team to play against. Philly plays a more wide open, trading chances style. Nashville will grind you down to a pulp. It's the ONLY way they can win. They're a much "tougher" opponent.

Tampa Bay and San Jose are similar. Teams that can score, don't play very good defense, and have inconsistent goaltending.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:21 AM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Keep underestimating other teams please. A montreal team 28th placed team today outplayed yes they outplayed us, doesn't matter how we played today, they were better and they beat us in blowout manner. We weren't exactly playing completely terrible. We had 2 1/2 lines trying really hard and they were playing their best and 1 1/2 lines playing casual. If we gone full force I still don't expect us to beat them terribly. Montreal weren't really trying that hard either. That team is def a playoff caliber team as good as Chicago was last year....

Also they carried Boston to 7 games and came much closer to us at beating them than we did...

Obviously you must agree Philadelphia>Nashville last year...

In the ECF Boston had to face a Tampa Bay team that had its second line suddenly coming on fire and their goaltender playing real well. How is it easier than us facing a San Jose Team that was banged up after a 7 game series against Detroit...

Sigh really liking the biased views right now.
ROFL Tampa Bay + Montreals Goal Differential didn't even equal Nashvilles, let alone San Jose's +35.

Maybe it was the fearsome goaltending of Rolosson and Boucher that makes you think Boston had the tougher route?

Old
03-11-2012, 01:22 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
So you go from saying that we were terrible today to saying that there was no way we could have beaten Montreal to somehow favor your analysis of who had the tougher road to the Finals last year? No they are not as good as Chicago, because if they were, they would be in a playoff spot.

Quote:
I believe it was Montreal that was up 2-0 before Boston decided to get their heads out of their *****.

Nashville was a tougher opponent, no question in my mind. SJ is comparable to Tampa Bay, that's it.

That's my opinion.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:22 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Chicago isn unquestionably a better team than Montreal. To say they're not is just lunacy.

Nashville and Philly are comparable, but Nashville is a harder team to play against. Philly plays a more wide open, trading chances style. Nashville will grind you down to a pulp. It's the ONLY way they can win. They're a much "tougher" opponent.

Tampa Bay and San Jose are similar. Teams that can score, don't play very good defense, and have inconsistent goaltending.
I didn't say their worse than Montreal I wrote an equal sign. They were just as tough a first round opponent as Montreal was. However I think Nashville/San Jose were easier opponents than Philly/Tampa last year.

And what is hard to understand is how badly the east gets underestimated compared to the west...Philadelphia/Boston/Tampa/Pit/Montreal last year was just as good as any contending team in the west.

Last edited by flack: 03-11-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old
03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
I say this as someone who has tickets to a game later this month...

Who gives a damn about the fans these last 12 games of the season? If the team feels like taking its foot off the gas for a stretch to have everyone fresh for the playoffs instead of gassed is going to help them win a cup, I will sit in Rogers Arena through a 4-2 loss against the Kings later this month with a smile on my face.

This team has played a ridiculous amount of hockey over the past calendar year and a half, and they have aspirations of another long playoff run. It's not out of the question to suggest they're not really wanting to put in an all out effort against Montreal, Buffalo, etc. Why in the blue hell does it make sense to play these games with the urgency of a playoff game? We're already locked into a top 2 seed.

The team knows the grind they're about to face. They went through it last year. If they don't want to work themselves into the ground against non-playoff Eastern Conference teams in the lead up to the playoffs, I really don't see anything wrong with it.

Like I said, all you need to do is look at the "big" games this team has had to know they'll be fine. St. Louis, Detroit, Boston, etc...The "big" games are the ones where the team shows up and normally puts its best efforts in.
I have to sort of agree with this, for a couple reasons.

1.The truly committed fans are going to be aware of the situation as you are, and understand that there are going to be some half-assed games here and there down the stretch. If you're only interested when the team is winning...you might just be a bandwaggoner.

2.From what i could tell, it seemed as though an (un)healthy portion of the fans quit on the game just as the team did. Bailing on the whole thing to get on with their 'more important things'. If you can't sit through the remainder of a game you paid a good chunk of change for seats to see, it's hard to expect the players to give 110% in that same event. The 'more important' things the Twins mentioned (playoffs), are IMO an awful lot more important than 'beating the traffic' or 'hittin up the clubz' a bit earlier.

3.It's not as though Roger's Arena has provided a consistently 'Elite' crowd either. There are the good games with lots of enthusiasm and energy...but there have been more than a handful that come across as dead and pathetic. There have been more than a couple games where it seems you could hear a pin drop. Take the Habs home games for an example...they were probably laughing here. For a hockey mad market, it's really not impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinka Dene View Post
Sorry, I was at the game, and there was nothing but a collective "grooooaaaan" when Raymond did his stupid little ineffective spin-o-rama into the cornerboards.
Haha. Don't get me wrong, i was well aware it was entirely futile and going absolutely nowhere fast. Like i said, i actually burst out laughing hysterically when he tried it. But the point is...he tried it. He didn't just pack it in because the score was 'out of reach' or whatever. He went out there, busted his butt, skated miles, and tried every single ridiculous thing he could pull out of his limited bag of tricks. THAT is something i can respect, even if it was absolutely hilarious.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Canucker

I for one am not concerned about the Sedins at the moment, they have been amongst the most consistent scorers in the league over the past 3 years or so, they'll come around. Our defense is the biggest concern to me, Edler is a gong show right now defensively, Salo is out of sorts as Edler's partner. Bieksa is still a time bomb defensively and shows little to no "snarl" in his game and I've even seen him get physically manhandled by smaller players. If he didn't have Hamhuis to cover for him he'd be an angrier MA Bergeron. Other than Hamhuis we've got a pretty sketchy group of guys right now. Not saying they can't play better, but its scary relying on those 3 to carry big minutes if thats how they are going to play.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
So you go from saying that we were terrible today to saying that there was no way we could have beaten Montreal to somehow favor your analysis of who had the tougher road to the Finals last year? No they are not as good as Chicago, because if they were, they would be in a playoff spot.
I said last year they were...not this year.

Quote:
I believe it was Montreal that was up 2-0 before Boston decided to get their heads out of their *****.
We were up 2-0 in the SCF as well.

Quote:
Nashville was a tougher opponent, no question in my mind. SJ is comparable to Tampa Bay, that's it.

That's my opinion.
like I said before, I think your underestimating the teams from the east, that is my opinion.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
aandbreatheme

Wow, brutal giveaway by Edler on the first goal. Didn't see that.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:32 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Yeah, though I think the circumstances are different. You're going to be giving yourself a kick in the ass if you are down 2-0 to an inferior team in the first round.

Quote:
like I said before, I think your underestimating the teams from the east, that is my opinion.
Seeing as two of the three teams they faced won't even make the playoffs this year, it gives me that biased opinion.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Wow we suck...and it's not even our support guys, who are playing alright. Our top-line guys at forward and on defense were terrible. Not to mention goal.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:41 AM
CCF23

Quote:
I said last year they were...not this year.

How is it possible to "underestimate" Philly's awful, AWFUL goaltending last year?

Our power play would have eviscerated them like it did San Jose.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:44 AM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
We cant trade Shneidsies.. we just caaaant

Old
03-11-2012, 01:47 AM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
We cant trade Shneidsies.. we just caaaant
Depends on what happens in this playoffs. That's kind of the reason why we didn't trade him at the deadline...

If we end up using Schneider for more than a game or two where Luongo gets yanked over the course of the playoffs, he's not going to be going anywhere.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

I'm actually happy that we're losing. No better way for the players to get a wake-up call than losing 2 games in a week to a pair of draft lottery teams.

This team didn't know what adversity was last season until it reached the SCF's. They didn't handle that too well. With a top 2 finish practically cemented, and 13 games left, there isn't a better time to hit a period of complacency. Was the teams ego hurt in these past 2 weeks? Injuries? Anything? Not really. We've, or might I say AV, has learned that Booth/Kesler/Higgins needs to be a constant. The top line will be the top line. The bottom 6 will probably be tinkered with a little bit more.

This team was hell bent on proving something the entire season. Game 1 to game 107. This year, they don't give a ****.

Some of you guys are trivial farts. Like the great Ice T once said, go eat a hot bowl of ****s. Stop bringing the sensible peoples moods down and reaffirming everybody else's thoughts on HF that our "fan base" is mental.

This team hasn't played a meaningful game in forever. It's showing.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Eesh

One thing I've noticed this year...

Biggest thing I've noticed with the Canucks this year is if the Sedins and Luongo both don't show up and play well in the same game or our goose is cooked. Its almost as it the writing is on the wall.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:50 AM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Depends on what happens in this playoffs. That's kind of the reason why we didn't trade him at the deadline...

If we end up using Schneider for more than a game or two where Luongo gets yanked over the course of the playoffs, he's not going to be going anywhere.
I think Schneider has been outstanding as a Canuck in just about every way imaginable. It'd be tough for him to commit to this team again if Gillis weren't clear he would be able to challenge for the number 1 spot.

IMO its going to be a tough decision either way. At some point Schneider has to think of whats best for his career, and at this point, getting away from Luongo's shadow may be the best thing for him.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:51 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_one98 View Post
This team didn't know what adversity was last season until it reached the SCF's.
What about two blowout series losses to Chicago two years in a row prior to last year?

Guess that is not considered experience.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:51 AM
John Bender

So if your best players don't play their best, the results might be bad? Hardly a revelation, but I still don't agree with you. The second line can carry this team.

Does this really need a whole new thread?

Old
03-11-2012, 01:52 AM
flack

...Not if the opponent's second line is just as good. You seem to think we are the team with the best second line in the league. The second line couldn't even carry this team to win against a 28th ranked team in the league today.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:55 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Okay, I'm officially pissed off.

Jesus Christ what a ****ing gong show that was. I'm so sick of seeing this team just fold when a bad goal goes in on Luongo. A smaller team in last place in their conference pushed us around in our own rink. There's just no ****ing excuse for that and I'm sick of our so-called leaders (aside from Kesler) not doing a ****ing thing during the game. Holy ****. Sedins? Where are you? The team has zero mental toughness when they get down. No desire to fight back, just none. You watch these games and it's just a blueprint for the entire league in how to beat the Canucks. And ****ING EVERYONE ELSE always takes note. When was the last time you watched a Canucks game and thought that the Canucks were the better team? When was the last time it was the other guys falling apart? Toronto? Edmonton? Literally every other ******* team is actually really trying these days and the Canucks are just sleepwalking. ****ing hell it's frustrating to watch. They barely beat the Jets, now they get smoked by Montreal? Really? This is what these guys have? Jesus Christ, demote Kassian to the farm team so he doesn't get infected and turn into a complete gutless ***** from being around these guys.

Ugh.

Not a happy camper after this one.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:58 AM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Enjoy your presidents trophy St Louis. Canucks decided to choke early this year.
Yeah, that's the trophy the Blues/Canucks are really gonna savor.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Eesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
So if your best players don't play their best, the results might be bad? Hardly a revelation, but I still don't agree with you. The second line can carry this team.

Does this really need a whole new thread?
I'm being serious. I think its a major point. If the Sedins and Lu don't show in the same game I can just about garantee we won't win the given game. I think its a major issue, when 3 players affect the entire outcome of a game.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Tiranis

Our troubles start and end with the 1st line. They're not producing and they're not playing responsible hockey. It puts the rest of the team in a position where they have to try and play outside of their regular roles, especially the 3rd and 4th line. This in turn leads to defensive breakdowns and easy goals against.

Until the Sedins and Burrows decide to show up and play, this team will keep losing or barely squeaking out wins here and there.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:59 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Okay, I'm officially pissed off.

Jesus Christ what a ****ing gong show that was. I'm so sick of seeing this team just fold when a bad goal goes in on Luongo. A smaller team in last place in their conference pushed us around in our own rink. There's just no ****ing excuse for that and I'm sick of our so-called leaders (aside from Kesler) not doing a ****ing thing during the game. Holy ****. Sedins? Where are you? The team has zero mental toughness when they get down. No desire to fight back, just none. You watch these games and it's just a blueprint for the entire league in how to beat the Canucks. And ****ING EVERYONE ELSE always takes note. When was the last time you watched a Canucks game and thought that the Canucks were the better team? When was the last time it was the other guys falling apart? Toronto? Edmonton? Literally every other ******* team is actually really trying these days and the Canucks are just sleepwalking. ****ing hell it's frustrating to watch. They barely beat the Jets, now they get smoked by Montreal? Really? This is what these guys have? Jesus Christ, demote Kassian to the farm team so he doesn't get infected and turn into a complete gutless ***** from being around these guys.

Ugh.

Not a happy camper after this one.
Been saying this many many times...this team can't play with a deficit...the mistakes they make is just mind boggling. Last years series vs Chicago and Boston...how in the world can you give them that many turn overs and chances? Your only down 2-0,... they treat as if they are in an infinite hole that you cannot climb back. It is ****ing pathetic really. I don't really get why that is the case, but I guess our only way of fixing it is to not get down by 2 or more goals against any team in the playoffs, and if we do go down by 2, immediately pull Luongo.

Closed Thread