HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs defeat Canucks 4-1...What's a "Sedin"?

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 03:59 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The Sedins are playing pretty much the same type of minutes they were before. It's Kesler that has benefitted from Cody leaving and he's taking advantage of it so far.

Let's not forget that Cody had 3 points in his last 13 games and was playing some awfully poor hockey over that stretch.
The same type of minutes in a pure statistical sense, yes. But i don't see how you can ignore the fact that the expectations and pressure placed on those minutes has changed with the fundamental alteration of the team concept in terms of ice time distribution. That might not show up in corsi stats or what have you, but i think it's pretty hard to say that there isn't a different set of pressures placed on those prime offensive minutes when you're surrendering other minutes to a 'defensive role' at the same time.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Canuckommunist

Some of you guys get so hysterical.

Chill

out

it's

not

even

the

playoffs.

They're slumping, they'll get out of it eventually.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:29 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Seriously? We DOMINATED that game. Pavelec played freakin' unreal. We could've easily scored 5 or 6. The score was very flattering to Winnipeg.
ah yes, once again a goalie is unreal vs the Canucks.

At what point do people start facing the fact that the Canucks just have zero finish?

Old
03-11-2012, 04:32 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckommunist View Post
Some of you guys get so hysterical.

Chill

out

it's

not

even

the

playoffs.

They're slumping, they'll get out of it eventually.
hey

look

i

can

make

my

uneccessarily

annoying

too.

The bigger issue isn't a bit of a slump by the team (thats pathetic too though) it's that the Sedin's have been completely invisible for most of the last 2.5 months. That is NOT a good sign headed to the playoffs. Couple if with the inconsistency of Kesler, the offensive void in the bottom 6, and the disaster that is the bottom pairing defense and you have to wonder what the team is gong to do in the playoffs.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:33 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
My thoughts are that this team has not looked as good as they did last year, at any time during this season.

When they started rolling after a rough October, it was great goaltending...when they went through their "losing but actually winning streak" earlier this year they were simply winning games while playing completely uninspired hockey (ie, winning games they didn't really "deserve" to win).

Never this season has the defense looked like it needs to in order to make a long playoff run, IMO. The defense has been the biggest problem this year...although the offense is making a late charge for that title.

This could all be the result of a team that was flying high through almost all of last season and they simply don't feel the need to put forth the effort this season. Especially when at this point they are still sitting quite pretty in the standings after having played lesser hockey than all of last season (again, IMO). The problem with doing this though, to me, is that in the playoffs they are going to need to reach a level which I feel they haven't shown with any sort of consistency throughout this entire season. I'm not convinced it is reasonable to expect them to be able to do this. I hope and beg that they do.
I agree with all of this. Well put.

I'd like for them to get it all together and hopefully they will, but my gut feeling says that they won't.

It felt like last year they would just steamroll teams a lot of the time. This year there have been games like that, but they are becoming fewer and further between. Like you, I think the defence is a problem. Edler still has gaffs in his game, Salo is great but seems to be wearing, and can go down at any minute. Bieksa is as always a ticking time bomb. I feel that Tanev is one of our most reliable d-men after Hamhuis. That's a bit shocking considering he's a rookie.

I'd like to believe that the twins will be able to turn it around once the playoffs start up, but we all saw last year that they were shut down in more series than not. I also find it hard to believe that they wouldn't want to at least start getting some points on the board at this point before the playoffs to get their confidence going. At least Kesler's line is finally going.

Tonight was also a good example of teams taking some cheap shots and pushing the Canucks around without any push back. That also doesn't bode well for the playoffs when the whistles disappear even more. Simpson put it well when he mentioned that you'd like to see even a little bit of push back from the twins when they are getting hacked and driven into the boards. Take a cheap penalty to let guys know that they can't do that with impunity. They've got to do something beyond their nice guy routine. (IMO at least).

Old
03-11-2012, 04:38 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
The bigger issue isn't a bit of a slump by the team (thats pathetic too though) it's that the Sedin's have been completely invisible for most of the last 2.5 months. That is NOT a good sign headed to the playoffs. Couple if with the inconsistency of Kesler, the offensive void in the bottom 6, and the disaster that is the bottom pairing defense and you have to wonder what the team is gong to do in the playoffs.
we're gonna ride luongo till his wheels fall off...

Old
03-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Okay, I'm officially pissed off.

Jesus Christ what a ****ing gong show that was. I'm so sick of seeing this team just fold when a bad goal goes in on Luongo. A smaller team in last place in their conference pushed us around in our own rink. There's just no ****ing excuse for that and I'm sick of our so-called leaders (aside from Kesler) not doing a ****ing thing during the game. Holy ****. Sedins? Where are you? The team has zero mental toughness when they get down. No desire to fight back, just none. You watch these games and it's just a blueprint for the entire league in how to beat the Canucks. And ****ING EVERYONE ELSE always takes note. When was the last time you watched a Canucks game and thought that the Canucks were the better team? When was the last time it was the other guys falling apart? Toronto? Edmonton? Literally every other ******* team is actually really trying these days and the Canucks are just sleepwalking. ****ing hell it's frustrating to watch. They barely beat the Jets, now they get smoked by Montreal? Really? This is what these guys have? Jesus Christ, demote Kassian to the farm team so he doesn't get infected and turn into a complete gutless ***** from being around these guys.

Ugh.

Not a happy camper after this one.
The arrogance of this team is rearing its ugly head once again, something we supposedly learned from after the debacle in Boston last year. They played as though Montreal had no business to consider competing; this was an easy win. Instead, we end up embarrassed in our own barn by a bloody lottery team. Not just beat either but blown away. To add insult to injury, Montreal is a one line team with difficulty scoring and a key component to their top line out. There is no excuse for how badly we were outplayed and watching them chrip on the bench is infuriating. You just got spanked like a damn mule. Shut the hell up, you have no reason to say anything.

The Sedins have been a disaster. If we ever needed a demonstration of just how one-dimensional our all stars are, this is it. They seem incapable of playing a decent game. Either they dominate or are utterly invisible. Take the C off Henril because Kesler has been leading us for two years now. Right now Vancouver is looking to rekindle their second round exit specialty because if we get Nashville in the playoffs. The team on the ice over the last two months would struggle to win two games against them, never mind four.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:50 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

I'd like for them to get it all together and hopefully they will, but my gut feeling says that they won't.

It felt like last year they would just steamroll teams a lot of the time. This year there have been games like that, but they are becoming fewer and further between. Like you, I think the defence is a problem. Edler still has gaffs in his game, Salo is great but seems to be wearing, and can go down at any minute. Bieksa is as always a ticking time bomb. I feel that Tanev is one of our most reliable d-men after Hamhuis. That's a bit shocking considering he's a rookie.

I'd like to believe that the twins will be able to turn it around once the playoffs start up, but we all saw last year that they were shut down in more series than not. I also find it hard to believe that they wouldn't want to at least start getting some points on the board at this point before the playoffs to get their confidence going. At least Kesler's line is finally going.

Tonight was also a good example of teams taking some cheap shots and pushing the Canucks around without any push back. That also doesn't bode well for the playoffs when the whistles disappear even more. Simpson put it well when he mentioned that you'd like to see even a little bit of push back from the twins when they are getting hacked and driven into the boards. Take a cheap penalty to let guys know that they can't do that with impunity. They've got to do something beyond their nice guy routine. (IMO at least).
I think this is a key point. For all our supposedly improved, 'toughness', it felt much the same as when this team was dominated by the Bruins and allegedly 'out-toughed'. It really starts to cut to the quick of the issue...it's not brute force that this team lacked, it's something else, and a lot of it is mental.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:57 AM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I thought Staubitz won, not good for a want to b heavy to lose to Staubitz.
Kassian is a 21 year old who was fighting a goon. Who cares if he lost, he took a few and got right back up in his 3rd NHL fight against a guy who fights like 15 times a season. Kassian is the only guy on the team who has the balls to fight a guy like Staubitz

Who cares if he lost, he showed up and the fight was entertaining

Old
03-11-2012, 05:15 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post

Tanev hasn't been our 2nd most reliable D man...

Old
03-11-2012, 05:17 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Kassian is a 21 year old who was fighting a goon. Who cares if he lost, he took a few and got right back up in his 3rd NHL fight against a guy who fights like 15 times a season. Kassian is the only guy on the team who has the balls to fight a guy like Staubitz

TBH, I don't really want Kassian fighting, hitting and playing hard and fighting only when he has to.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:18 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
I didn't say their worse than Montreal I wrote an equal sign. They were just as tough a first round opponent as Montreal was. However I think Nashville/San Jose were easier opponents than Philly/Tampa last year.

And what is hard to understand is how badly the east gets underestimated compared to the west...Philadelphia/Boston/Tampa/Pit/Montreal last year was just as good as any contending team in the west.
You're clearly right and EVERY analyst on every network is wrong about the East playoffs being an easier path.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:43 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post

Never mind the puck was floating around in his skates as he was getting ready.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Orca Smash

I was somewhat scorned for criticizing edlers game, are we there yet, I just want legit discussion about his game, because for all the flack kesler receives for flying under the radar, i have not seen any discussion about edler this past while.

I dont know what to say, his heads not in the game, and it bothers me because i thought he would have a breakout year. And he was until all star game.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
I thought having Kassian meant that he'd be put with the Sedins if opposing players started taking liberties. Instead, AV puts up Raymond - RAYMOND!
I missed part of the game? Av really put raymond with sedins? As an answer to what? I have no doubt he was trying, but thats such an odd choice to get the sedins going. Even av complained he needed to start producing, so he puts raymond who has not been producing with the no producing sedins?

Old
03-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I thought Staubitz won, not good for a want to b heavy to lose to Staubitz.
Kassian is not a goon and he's also a rookie. Staubitz has 12 fights this year and has won the majority of them. It's impressive that he hung in there with a guy that likely trains fighting in the offseason and has 47 career NHL fights in only 4 seasons. Hell, he started out by landing a few but then unfortunately he lost balance and Staubitz took advantage.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Just watching the rest of the game and really impressed with how Tanev just seems to be able to look like he's played a few years in the NHL already.

Next one of you clowns that puts his name in a trade proposal is gonna get an e-whopping of epic proportions!

Old
03-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Tuff Gong

Send a message via MSN to Tuff Gong

Old
03-11-2012, 10:06 AM
CP

vCash: 699
Tanev plays defense like Ray Bourque did. Too bad he doesn't play offense like him.

Montreal has an awesome defense when Markov is healthy. Great depth, skill and grit. With Price, they are 2/3rds of the way to a great team. Now they need some forwards.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:37 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
I'm being serious. I think its a major point. If the Sedins and Lu don't show in the same game I can just about garantee we won't win the given game. I think its a major issue, when 3 players affect the entire outcome of a game.
Weber, Suter, and Rinne don't show up. What happens?
Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom don't show up. What happens?
Chara, Thomas, Lucic don't show up. What happens?

You could say that our top three have shown up less this year than other teams' top three... but then you're simply discussing what's already under discussion in every other thread. But if you are only saying that our three best players have an impact on the game, you're just not saying much.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Horse
Go Canucks!

I think they've managed to overcome less steller goaltending efforts and invisible Sedins numerous times to win this year, so I don't think what you've noticed is true.
But yes, it gets harder for any team to win of their best players aren't at their best.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:06 PM
BerSTUzzi

I think it's time to bring up Bitz and start playing around with our lines outside of the Amex.

I think Burrows could be stellar in a shutdown role:

Higgins Kesler Booth
Sedins Bitz
Burrows Pahlson Hansen
Manny Lappy Kass

since we have to play MAG for 10 of the final 14 games just move D in and out, as we should start resting Salo/Edler(back) and move Rome/Tanev around into the line-up.

Final note, time to run with the goalie that wins. Run with Schneids till he struggles and then the same with Lui.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:17 PM
domdo345

Habs fan here, and really disappointed we won. Anyway i like how Vancouver uses their defense alot to create offense. I think AV is doing a great job but you might need some sandpaper on the back end.

For people saying Mtl was not a hard match-up last year in the playoffs, that is untrue. Many reports of the bruins players said Mtl was the hardest series to win. Yeah they came back from a 2-0 deficit but they won 3 in overtime. Like i said, blocking shots and back checking is a key component in a winning playoffs team.

Personally i would not be scared about the Sedins or the offense, it's mostly your D that i see as a weak point in the playoffs. Good luck guys!

Old
03-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Habs fan here, and really disappointed we won. Anyway i like how Vancouver uses their defense alot to create offense. I think AV is doing a great job but you might need some sandpaper on the back end.

For people saying Mtl was not a hard match-up last year in the playoffs, that is untrue. Many reports of the bruins players said Mtl was the hardest series to win. Yeah they came back from a 2-0 deficit but they won 3 in overtime. Like i said, blocking shots and back checking is a key component in a winning playoffs team.

Personally i would not be scared about the Sedins or the offense, it's mostly your D that i see as a weak point in the playoffs. Good luck guys!
We do but Rome and Alberts were in the press box last night.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
AvantiCanada*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I was somewhat scorned for criticizing edlers game, are we there yet, I just want legit discussion about his game, because for all the flack kesler receives for flying under the radar, i have not seen any discussion about edler this past while.

I dont know what to say, his heads not in the game, and it bothers me because i thought he would have a breakout year. And he was until all star game.
Yes, Edler has been prone to some mistakes lately. The whole defence looks out of whack, and the posters who claimed our defence needed an upgrade at the deadline were probably right.
The defence's first pass is bad, the break out is awful and the D look slow when challenged with speed.
Last night the Tanev-MAG pairing let a player split them with ease right at the blue line to walk in. I don't think Ive seen a player split the D that cleanly in a long time.

Closed Thread