HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Permanent is Joslin's Position Change

Old
03-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

vCash: 500
How Permanent is Joslin's Position Change

This is something I've sort of been wondering for awhile, and even more so now that Sangs is up and looks to be playing D over Joslin.

Do you think this can be a permanent change? I think for Joslin's sake it's a good thing, because I doubt he'd make too many rosters on D even in his prime (whenever that comes). Meanwhile, I've liked his tenacity on the 4th line, he's shown some pretty average offensive instincts and has been an above-average forechecker, having never really even played the position.

I think his future's as a 4th line forward, but I'm VERY interested to hear your opinions on the subject.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

He's definitely on a bit of a learning curve, but I don't think he looked too out of place. I definitely don't like him as a defenseman, so as long as he's under contract next year I'd file this under "may as well". I could deal with a Dwyer // Brent // Joslin 4th line going forward.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

I never saw him as a great defenseman, personally. Everyone was riding his sack at the end of last year while simultaneously disregarding Mcbain, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
impeach estaalo

He's eligible to be bought out at 1/3rd of his salary due to his age. Just saying. Based on the fact that he was scratched in favor of Bowman last game and Sanguinetti now, he's basically the 14th forward and 8th defenseman.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 03-12-2012 at 04:29 PM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
I never saw him as a great defenseman, personally. Everyone was riding his sack at the end of last year while simultaneously disregarding Mcbain, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why.
+/- (dude was incredible at jumping on the ice right before a goal was scored, you can't teach that) and "potential." He's BIG with a BIG SHOT, that means he's somehow going to fix his obvious mental retardation when it comes to hockey.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagon cole canes View Post
+/- (dude was incredible at jumping on the ice right before a goal was scored, you can't teach that) and "potential." He's BIG with a BIG SHOT, that means he's somehow going to fix his obvious mental retardation when it comes to hockey.
BIG with a BIG SHOT? Sounds like... should I say it? Nah, I won't say it.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
caniac247

I'm kind of confused on where Joslin fits in here. I keep hearing how high the org is on him, yet he's the first to be scratched. If they are so high on him, wouldn't they play him.

And I have heard they are high on him for people like Forslund, Sudheim, and Mike Smith. So its coming from people inside, I just don't get it.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I'm kind of confused on where Joslin fits in here. I keep hearing how high the org is on him, yet he's the first to be scratched. If they are so high on him, wouldn't they play him.

And I have heard they are high on him for people like Forslund, Sudheim, and Mike Smith. So its coming from people inside, I just don't get it.
Maybe they think they'll get some interest in him by talking about how awesome he is, instead of having to waste $750k next year on a prime press box seat for Joslin or a third of that on a buyout. He sure doesn't increase his value by attempting to play hockey.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Similar career path to Tim Conboy it seems, minus the fighting for the most part. I never saw what other people saw in him towards the end of the year, but it seems that is becoming the consensus as opposed to the outlier apparently.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
bleedgreen

I think sangs getting his shot is all this is. It isn't over Joslin. They likely feel they have an idea of where Joslin is at, and since he has an acceptable home on the fourth line it gives them a chance to reward sangs and see where he's at. Obviously there's a possibility sangs takes and keep the spot over Joslin but I dont think we should read more into it more than its a good chance to sangs a spot. If we were more of a playoff team maybe they'd go safe with Joslin here.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post

Joslin turns 25 on Saturday, and defenseman do tend to take longer to develop. Perhaps they're waiting to see if he'll ever pan out to a 4/5 type of guy. If he does, great, we've got a nice trading chip or insurance in case our wealth of blue liner prospects somehow doesn't develop correctly. And if he doesn't ever pan out we've got a somewhat passable #6/7 defender or #13 forward in case of injury for only .650mil this year and .750mil the next year and he's an RFA after that. Plus Muller seems to like/trust him, and honestly I feel like he's just a good hard working player who will do whatever is asked for the team.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

The only thing that I see from Joslin that I like is that he hits.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:57 PM
WWAD

If they could create a position for Joslin that required having physical skills with zero mental ability whatsoever, he would be the perfect fit.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
If they could create a position for Joslin that required having physical skills with zero mental ability whatsoever, he would be the perfect fit.
You're saying this as if players like this haven't existed before.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
The only thing that I see from Joslin that I like is that he hits.
I'm ok with spending basically league minimum and a roster spot for that. We're a soft enough team WITH him.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
I'm ok with spending basically league minimum and a roster spot for that. We're a soft enough team WITH him.
But he really doesn't add much to the "toughness" of the team when he is in the press box for most of the games.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
But he really doesn't add much to the "toughness" of the team when he is in the press box for most of the games.
I meant that in the context of him being our #12 forward, rather than our 13/14.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:34 AM
totaltank

Does it really matter what letter you put next to the guy on the healthy scratch list?

Joslin (D)
or
Joslin (F)

Makes no difference to me.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I think sangs getting his shot is all this is. It isn't over Joslin. They likely feel they have an idea of where Joslin is at, and since he has an acceptable home on the fourth line it gives them a chance to reward sangs and see where he's at. Obviously there's a possibility sangs takes and keep the spot over Joslin but I dont think we should read more into it more than its a good chance to sangs a spot. If we were more of a playoff team maybe they'd go safe with Joslin here.
I agree with this... it's kind of hard to imagine Sangs and Joslin are competing for the same job. Last year Joslin had an opportunity to grow into an Allen-like role at a fraction of the cost, which would have really helped JR this summer.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
Like an energy line winger?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Like an energy line winger?
Chad likes this post.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:07 PM
WWAD

Energy line winger requires a nice smile, as well as the aforementioned traits.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote