HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Story About UPenn Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Terrier

vCash: 500
Story About UPenn Hockey

I thought the Philly area fans on this board might be interested in this story from USCHO on hockey at the University of Pennsylvania.

http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/11/06_009023.php

Penn's all-time record:
http://www.uscho.com/stats/teamYxY.p...m=143&gender=m

Old
11-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Jester

it'll be interesting if they ever get the team back up and running. i'm an alum, played roller hockey there and knew some of the club guys. they take it pretty seriously and if they put some money into the program it would be that much more competitive.

Old
11-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
it'll be interesting if they ever get the team back up and running. i'm an alum, played roller hockey there and knew some of the club guys. they take it pretty seriously and if they put some money into the program it would be that much more competitive.

When I was an MIT undergrad in the late 80's, one of the guys helping out with the women's hockey team always wore an old Penn jersey, probably from the early to mid-70's(it had the old lace holes). Since I live in an area brimming with college games(all four Boston teams are at home tonight), I've always been puzzled that Penn dropped their varsity. Considering the Flyers, and lately the Phantoms, have enjoyed loyal followings, it would be appropriate for Penn to somehow get back into Division I, especially with a natural rival like Princeton nearby.

Old
11-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Jester

here's the thing... they don't articulate the basketball aspect of that enough.

there is ONE sport at Penn that matters, even with the recent success of the football program. Penn is all about the basketball team, they concentrate all their energies into that. Penn/Princeton basketball rivarly is potentially the best in the country(biased i know, but hear me out). the Ivy's have been around something like 50 years or whatever, and like all but 5 times or something ridiculous Penn or Princeton has won the conference.

so with that background involved, and the tourney bid from the conference always on the line, those games are obviously insane. that is what they worry about as an athletic dept. in a big way.

so i'm not sure they are hot to start adding other sports to the budget with that going on. there is also lacrosse that Penn is pretty serious about getting involved in seriously with Princeton bringing back all the titles.

Closed Thread