HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

3-0-1 without Thomas Vanek

Old
03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoq View Post
i think 70 points should be his minimum. he pretty much plays on that pace or over every second year.
so, let's be excited for next year
He's had only 1 season over 70pts in the last 5 seasons and only 2 seasons in his 7 year career where he's had more than 64pts. I'm including this year since its not likely he will get there (70pts)

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
murdoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
As a top line player Pommer is better.... period. At ES Pommer has always been the better player.

Pommer has been a top line RW for 200gms. That would be all of 06-07, from Jan 1st on last year and all of this season. Vanek has been a top line since the captains left (the 07-09 season to the present).

Production at ES on the top line

Pommer ---> 200gms 61g (.31 ESgpg) 58a (.29 ESapg) 119pts (.6 ESppg)
Vanek ----> 375gms 87g (.23 ESgpg) 100a (.27 ESapg) 187pts (.5 ESppg)

Defensively there is no contest, Pommer is much better than Vanek.

Where Vanek is the clearly better player is in PP prodcution, particulary goal scoring.
based on the first half of this season: imo vanek played better when they both were playing on a high level.

and i don't care if a player scores his points at ES or on the PP. noone would take a 40 ES points player over a 80 PP points player (i know that's unreallistic, just to make my point clear)

murdoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:44 PM
murdoq

Quote:
He's had only 1 season over 70pts in the last 5 seasons and only 2 seasons in his 7 year career where he's had more than 64pts. I'm including this year since its not likely he will get there (70pts)
every second year he had more than 70 points or was on pace for it. fact.

so i hope next season will be a 70 point season again.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:46 PM
joshjull

Quote:
every second year he had more than 70 points or was on pace for it. fact.

so i hope next season will be a 70 point season again.
Nevermind I see what you mean now.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
based on the first half of this season: imo vanek played better when they both were playing on a high level.

and i don't care if a player scores his points at ES or on the PP. noone would take a 40 ES points player over a 80 PP points player (i know that's unreallistic, just to make my point clear)
Vanek can't produce enough at ES on the top line to put up 40g and 80pts. You can ignore that all you want but its reality.

As for the PP. If Vanek keeps getting beat up and is unable to put up his usual PP points, then his totals will drop even more. Its already happened with his goal totals. They haven't been near 40 since he stopped leading the league in PP goals. His PP goal production has been half of what it was in 08-09 when he led the league with 20 PP goals.

At the end of the day we have two top line players.

Vanek, who is a scoring winger whose been a 30+g 64+pt player on the top line with a 7.124mil cap hit.

and

Pommer, who as a top line winger is a 30g 70pt two way player with 5.3mil cap hit. He is now the captain and is playing very well in that role.

EDIT: To be clear. I don't think Vanek needs to be traded. But I do think its absurd to pick Vanek over Pommer.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-20-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
murdoq

Quote:
Vanek can't produce enough at ES on the top line to put up 40g and 80pts. You can ignore that all you want but its reality.

As for the PP. If Vanek keeps getting beat up and is unable to put up his usual PP points, then his totals will drop even more. Its already happened with his goal totals. They haven't been near 40 since he stopped leading the league in PP goals. His PP goal production has been half of what it was in 08-09 when he led the league with 20 PP goals.

At the end of the day we have two top line players.

Vanek, who is a scoring winger whose been a 30+g 64+pt player on the top line with a 7.124mil cap hit.

and

Pommer, who as a top line winger is a 30g 70pt two way player with 5.3mil cap hit. He is now the captain and is playing very well in that role.
i'm positive vanek can get 40 ES and 30 PP points when he plays a good season. he was a ppg player the whole last year (not season, i mean 2011). he even was on the first nhl all star team for 2011.

the question is how to get him to play like that.