HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

On the life of an AHL fan

Old
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Bonander

vCash: 500
On the life of an AHL fan

And how it makes the most absurd demand- that you be mature.

I Hate Myself for Loving This Team

Bonander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:36 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

This was awesome:

Quote:
The playoff picture for Texas looks worse than the AHL live-streaming web feed, which itself looks worse than the early days of live television.
Can't even get a decent picture, garbage. I cld go on all day about how these B2 and internet streams just suck and are a scam of sorts in their own right.

Quite truthfully...being a minor league sports fan sucks. Your fate is almost never in your hands. The higher leagues only care about themselves. I'm not sure why I do it, other then a team exists where I live. I guess thats the only reason. And to be blunt, I really don't care what a player does after he leaves town.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Bonander

I hear you. Sadly the same company that streams AHLlive also does NHL gamecenter. For the AHL they seem to drag out the dial-up equipment.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Have to admit that it's times like these that make me happy that, while I'm a minor league hockey fan, I'm fortunate enough to live in a big enough market with both the NHL and AHL/ECHL. Would stink to live a way's away from an NHL team and have a minor league team be your primary, only to deal with substandard ways of following your team on the road or on games you can't attend at home (though the Wolves do air some of their home games on local TV, too).

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Bonander

I don't know what goes on in the East, but the Wolves definitely do a better job than anyone in the West, across the board, in terms of production and quality.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:49 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Don't the Wolves air every road game on local TV?

Old
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
RFA

The best way to watch is to hook a computer up with an S-Video cable to a old style tube tv. I think that thrift stores, church sales, pawn shops, and by the side of the road on garbage night is the bext place to find this technology that was at it's peak 12 years ago. But seriously, it does look the best.

The most annoying is places like Hershey and Springfield who even let you know who won the 50-50 or whose car is the dirtiest, while the game is going on. And that's always crystal clear, even on an HDTV. I think Hershey will put pictures of the guys up also after a goal. I guess they haven't realized that teams will try to "change the momentum" of the game then......

Providence has a crappy picture, but at least one of the cameras is dedicated to the AHLLive feed. Syracuse and Adirondack also have just the one camera on line, which works I guess.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

How much does AHL Live cost? America One I think costs $8 in the ECHL. I'm too cheap to pay to watch, just listen instead.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:46 PM
axecrew

No fun and green.......the Wolves televise ALL games home and away including playoffs.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:54 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
No fun and green.......the Wolves televise ALL games home and away including playoffs.
Just checked, and you're right..... unless you have AT&T U-Verse, that is. A bunch of their games are on the Comcast Network on Xfinity, but which isn't available on U-Verse.

Shame, too.... would like the option to watch all of their games on TV instead of just a handful.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:57 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
The wolves are the exception to the rule, the owners must be drop dead rich or a sweetheart deal is that TV deal they got.

Old
03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
The wolves are the exception to the rule, the owners must be drop dead rich or a sweetheart deal is that TV deal they got.
Well Don Levin is rumoured to be interested in owning a piece of a Seattle NHL team, so I'd imagine his pockets are pretty deep.

Anyway, I can empathize with those on here. Trying to follow my WHL team when they're on the road -hell even when they're at home!- is a challenge. Only a handful of games are televised, WHL Live (or whatever they call it) is horrible, I swear its just a guy holding a webcam, and depending where I am, picking it up on AM radio is sometimes a challenge. Thank god for facebook and twitter updates.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Frank Booth

It's public access cable. I'll bet that they pay to be on there and not only do they not make a dime, but it costs money and is written off as advertising.

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
It's public access cable. I'll bet that they pay to be on there and not only do they not make a dime, but it costs money and is written off as advertising.
If they pay for time (and I agree they probably do), then they offset some of it with advertising they run from Jewel, Pepsi, Pace (bus), etc.

03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Rocko604

Hmm. Chicago*... public access...

* Yeah yeah, I know they were in Aurora...

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Hmm. Chicago*... public access...

* Yeah yeah, I know they were in Aurora...
Guy on the left does look a little like Billy...

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
If they pay for time (and I agree they probably do), then they offset some of it with advertising they run from Jewel, Pepsi, Pace (bus), etc.
I know for a fact they do pay for their time when using the public access channel, however, not all their games are on that channel. Some are on Channel 50 (I think that used to be UPN?).

You would be surprised at the costs for the TV, it was not as much as people may think because they do get the advertising revenues.

Also, the owners have two things going for the fans - deep pockets and deep passion for hockey.

Tommy Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 01:20 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Or is it a deep passion for a winner? People back a winner generally.