HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

In the Stands: A Hockey Documentary About the Fans

Old
03-11-2012, 06:39 PM
hockey diva

vCash: 500
In the Stands: A Hockey Documentary About the Fans

I know Darren posted something about this but it looks like it got deleted. We really are working on putting a documentary/video/something on hockey fans and their relationship to the game. He and I were brainstorming about what he could do to occupy his time since school is rather boring at the moment. I suggested "write a movie script." And from there In the Stands was born. We want it to be about the passion that unites us with this game.

Here is an outline of questions to guide you:
1.) Why you are a fan of the game of hockey first and foremost.
2.) How did you become a fan of the game
3.) When did you start following the game
4.) your best memory of the game be it NHL AHL minor hockey NCAA WC Olympic etc.
5.) Did you play hockey as a kid
6.) Do you follow the same team as your parents if your parents follow the game at all?
7.) Do you find the Olympics as exciting as the NHL? What do you think of the WJHC?
8.) If you are not from Canada or the US how did you get involved in following the sport and did you start before you moved here if you moved here? If not how did you get interested in the game in your country?
9.) Are you a fan of your hometown team or a fan of a team in another city?
10.) This is for fans from teams that may no longer be in those cities in which you originaly followed AKA Quebec Atlanta Cleveland Oakland etc. How did you feel when your team arrived? How did you feel when your team left?

Please submit your video clips to http://www.youtube.com/user/HockeyDocumentary

If you would prefer to just post answers here that is fine. I can record them. Just indicate what name you want used.

Thanks y'all
Marie

MOD: This thread has been approved by the Preds moderators and an administrator. Please do not report it/close it. Also, keep in mind that responses to these questions are planned to be used in a documentary. Of course, anything you say on these forums is already public information unless it is a private message.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-13-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add info
hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM
hockey diva

My video is up if anyone wants to have a giggle. My first attempt at something like this.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Great post and the video is pretty darn good also.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I started to watch it, but my roommates are loud so I'm having trouble hearing it. I'll check it out later when it's quieter

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:37 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I started to watch it, but my roommates are loud so I'm having trouble hearing it. I'll check it out later when it's quieter
THanks for the help and support with this TMI it is greatly appreciated.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Bongo

I can't post videos of me until the statue of limitations runs out in a few years.

It's the best team sport I've ever seen. Fast, graceful, and violent all at the same time.
I became hooked after seeing my first NHL game live.
4.) your best memory of the game be it NHL AHL minor hockey NCAA WC Olympic etc.
The first game I ever saw was the Montreal Canadians against the Atlanta Flames. It was an epiphany. The Miracle on Ice and the Atlanta Knights were other highlights. Also the Calgary Flames winning the Cup in '88.
No. I can't even skate
6.) Do you follow the same team as your parents if your parents follow the game at all?
My parents never saw a hockey game.
7.) Do you find the Olympics as exciting as the NHL? What do you think of the WJHC?
I do enjoy Olympic hockey. I've never seen a WJHC game just clips.
8.) If you are not from Canada or the US how did you get involved in following the sport and did you start before you moved here if you moved here? If not how did you get interested in the game in your country?
I thought ice hockey was a notch above roller derby until I saw my first game. 10 minutes in to the 1st period I realized 2 things:
1. The Montreal team seems better at this than our home team and
2. This game freaking rocks.
Thanks to Don Waddell, the Atlanta Spirit Group, and Gary Bettman; I no longer have a hometown team. Now I'm a Preds fan except when they play the Jets and the Blackhawks.
10.) This is for fans from teams that may no longer be in those cities in which you originaly followed AKA Quebec Atlanta Cleveland Oakland etc. How did you feel when your team arrived? How did you feel when your team left?
I was devastated when the Flames left. I can't say I felt the same about the Thrash. They were nothing more than a bad con job, never intended to be a successful or winning franchise. I can't honestly say I miss them. I miss going to NHL games 10 minutes from my house but not the Thrashers. They were a blight on the sport and Bettman should be fired for letting the NHL brand be so maligned in such an important market. Atlanta should have been the most overall successful Southern franchise.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

1.) The speed, physicality, skill played at a ridiculous amount of speed & passion
2.) 1996 WCF - Wings - Avs - I still hate Claude Lemieux to this day with a white hot passion of 10,000 suns
3.) When did you start following the game - 1990-91 season
4.) Preds 2nd round advancement
5.) No, I can't skate at all ... lol
6.) Yes
7.) To me the Olympics are boring (larger ice surface), It's usually impossible for me to watch the WJHC's ... I'm usually preparing for a business conference
9.) hometown team

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:27 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

I will have a video up in a day or so. I would like to kind of make mine a tribute to my Dad who passed away in February from Cancer. Pops was one of the many reasons Why I love Hockey so much. Took me to my first Islanders game as a Kid, bought me my first Hockey equipment which living in Queens NY Consisted of roller hockey skates, and a Mylec Hockey set that had 2 sticks 1 goalie stick, a goal, a rubber puck, plastic hockey ball and a black puck that sounded like a brick when you hit it. He signed me up to Play Hockey at St Lukes in Whitestone NY. Helped me stay awake to watch the USA / Russia 1980 Olympic game by nudging me with my KOHO hockey stick if I started to fall asleep ( Ihave a USA Hockey Tattoo as a tribute to that night). Celebrated the USA Gold a few days later and a Islander Stanley Cup a few months after that. We moved to Tennessee in 1981 and I thought my hockey days were over but Pops came home with South Star tickets and we went to almost every game together. When the Knights came to town we had awesome tickets next to the trench and rarely missed a game during their entire time here. When the Preds season tickets went on sale we jumped all over it and bought tickets in 323 and still have them to this day. It's hard to go to the games and not have Pops there with me but now I use Pops seat to take my Kids, wife or friends that love the game as much as I have and he did. Pops is the #1 reason I love hockey.
BTW to end this with a good omen. Pops college football team was Alabama ( National Championship) NFL team was the Giants ( Super Bowl Champs ) and we know who his favorite NHL team was. Our boys need to come through for Pops.

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
I will have a video up in a day or so. I would like to kind of make mine a tribute to my Dad who passed away in February from Cancer. Pops was one of the many reasons Why I love Hockey so much. Took me to my first Islanders game as a Kid, bought me my first Hockey equipment which living in Queens NY Consisted of roller hockey skates, and a Mylec Hockey set that had 2 sticks 1 goalie stick, a goal, a rubber puck, plastic hockey ball and a black puck that sounded like a brick when you hit it. He signed me up to Play Hockey at St Lukes in Whitestone NY. Helped me stay awake to watch the USA / Russia 1980 Olympic game by nudging me with my KOHO hockey stick if I started to fall asleep ( Ihave a USA Hockey Tattoo as a tribute to that night). Celebrated the USA Gold a few days later and a Islander Stanley Cup a few months after that. We moved to Tennessee in 1981 and I thought my hockey days were over but Pops came home with South Star tickets and we went to almost every game together. When the Knights came to town we had awesome tickets next to the trench and rarely missed a game during their entire time here. When the Preds season tickets went on sale we jumped all over it and bought tickets in 323 and still have them to this day. It's hard to go to the games and not have Pops there with me but now I use Pops seat to take my Kids, wife or friends that love the game as much as I have and he did. Pops is the #1 reason I love hockey.
BTW to end this with a good omen. Pops college football team was Alabama ( National Championship) NFL team was the Giants ( Super Bowl Champs ) and we know who his favorite NHL team was. Our boys need to come through for Pops.
By all means and the tribute to your dad is awesome what a great way to honour his memory.

Thanks so much

Darren

Old
03-13-2012, 02:45 PM
dubgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85 View Post
Criminy! If the Preds make it to the finals this has to make it into a feature story for one of the broadcasts!

dubgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:34 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubgeek View Post
Criminy! If the Preds make it to the finals this has to make it into a feature story for one of the broadcasts!
I would have to agree this is an amazing story and can't wait to see the video.

Old
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
29dryden29

Ok Hockey Diva is going to take care of creating the video creation for Hoarding Assets and Bongo and we are excited to see the tribute that hip does for his dad.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
hockey diva

My vid has been posted along with one with HA and bongo's stories. Thanks guys.

Want to reinterate, we are not running a scam or looking to make money. We just think it is high time the fans were celebrated. Hip your story is definitely one reason why we want to do this. I will be at the Edmonton game with my camcoder if anyone wants to record a vid or just give audio. Thanks so much!

Old
03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I don't do videos and things like that bc I've never gotten around to using webcams and such, but I'll answer these questions anyway.

I feel that it's the hardest sport to play while being the fastest and most exciting.
My dad got me into it as a kid.
I followed the Blackhawks and Lightning as a young kid before the Preds came when I was 13. Once the Preds came I REALLY started following the game.
The Preds beating Anaheim in games 5 and 6 last season.
I played roller hockey, and some of my friends and I would play roller/street hockey from time to time
My dad's team was the Blackhawks growing up. I liked them until the Preds came. Once they began, neither of us watched the Hawks anymore
The olympics are fine but not to the level as the Cup playoffs for me. I don't pay much attention to the WJHC
N/A
Hometown. Nashville all the way.
N/A

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
My vid has been posted along with one with HA and bongo's stories. Thanks guys.

Want to reinterate, we are not running a scam or looking to make money. We just think it is high time the fans were celebrated. Hip your story is definitely one reason why we want to do this. I will be at the Edmonton game with my camcoder if anyone wants to record a vid or just give audio. Thanks so much!
"I'm Bongo and I improved this message."

Old
03-14-2012, 10:05 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
"I'm Bongo and I improved this message."
LOL this is a great post thanks it made me laugh.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Bongo

I'm glad you liked it. I stole it from Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:16 AM
tserberis*

1) Hockey is fast, physical, creative, competitive game, and most of all it is a TEAM sport.
By TEAM I mean a group of people with one goal supporting and protecting each other, helping, providing, sharing ups and downs together.
Soccer and Hockey used to be on the same level of interest for me but after coming over to USA and soccer becoming more of a game of whiners and uncompetitive due to deep pockets clubs, interest for soccer kind of died off. But I still play soccer a lot for recreation, and no hockey activities at all due to poor skating and inability to put teams to play off the ice. (It will become clearer later why off the ice.)
2) I start playing outside in the backyard when I was about 7. We didn’t have game consoles and TV wasn’t that great yet, so all are free time was mostly outside. It was bunch of different age guys and of course I started in the goal. If you could call it a goal. It was four wooden boxes put together . Second or third game in I had my nose clipped by the puck( we played with smaller size puck, then switched to tennis ball) and passed out, a lot of blood on the snow, cried for maybe 10 min sat out till blood stopped and got to play out of the goal for the first time
I don’t know how I got my first hockey stick, but when it broke I didn’t play for a while and then my father got me a new one for my Birthday. Greatest gift ever at that time. I would get a hockey stick for a lot of my following Birthdays till I was able to afford it myself.
That is how I met hockey and became a fan of it as of any other team sport I ever played…

3) When I was about 14-15, mostly WC and OG and some of USSR championship games that was on TV. I start going to live games when I was 17 and we got an Ice Palace and Hockey Team in our city. Basically I was a season ticket holder with only one but, no such option existed. So had to buy tickets for every game.
I started following NHL when they showed Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in my country between Anaheim and New Jersey, only because Salei () was playing… When I moved to USA NHL CENTER ICE package is always on my cable bill, and as soon 7PM hits hockey is on no matter who is playing, and it is almost always on till the very late game over, unless something else is up.

4) Belarus won quarterfinals against Sweden on 20/02/2002 in the Olympics in Salt Lake City…
Poor Salo…

5) As I said before, yes I did. We played off ice. We cant afford skates, so we would just plow parking behind community college in our neighborhood and play on fine sheet of snow
First we started with boxes goals
and small pucks and then turned to tennis balls and self built goals like this
We would take apart couple of benches in the park and cut few cloth lines in neighbor’s yards to make the netting…
And it looked something like this ,

We switched to tennis ball because a lot guys would go down with bruised knees…

6) My parents didn’t really follow any sport; they just watch national team’s participation in different competition and father watches soccer occasionally.

7) Olympics to me as NHL Playoffs… Juniors, I just watch the finals usually… NHL you know, interfere…

8) I think I already got that covered

9) I am a fan of my hometown team in Belarus. And in US I live on Eastern Shore, some times go to Capitals games when the team that I want to see is around town.

10) I can say for when we got team in my City: **** yeah I was excited, was attending games a lot and it was just great time to get out and watch the live game, and cheer and have a few beers, meet new people and Ladies Was a great place to take ladies for a date too… Just good memories overall.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
29dryden29

I posted up a couple more videos today and Hockey Diva is working on some also. I hope you guys and ladies are enjoying it and if you have any suggestions on what could make things better feel free to add in your 2 cents this is afterall about us the fans.

Darren

Old
03-17-2012, 01:52 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Hockey combines the best elements of all sports in my opinion. There is passion, skill, grit, toughness, determination, teamwork, and speed. Sure, other sports have these elements...but I think hockey has the most well-balanced mixture. The game is also fast paced, and keeps the fans engaged (even in a defensive struggle).

After attending a few games, I fell in love with the atmosphere. I had watched a little hockey on TV before...but really didn't know much about it. The Preds, being my hometown's team, gave me a reason to be interested. The more I watched, the more I wanted to learn about the game. I started reading the rule book on nhl.com, and started researching the history of hockey and studying the greats of the game. It gave me a better appreciation for what I was watching.

I watched a few games in the 90s on TV...and attended some Preds games in the early 2000s (can't remember the exact date, but a Chicago game circa 2001 was my first game -- I sat in the folding seats near the band stage and watched Legwand score a game winner). I would say I was fully involved in following the game in 2002-2003. My brother and I had a mini-plan ticket package in 2003-2004, when I was a senior in high school.

Watching the Predators win their first ever playoff game vs. the Dead Things in 2004. Even watching us lose that series, but seeing how the fans supported the team with the "Thank you, Predators!" chant was special to me.

No. I grew up playing baseball.

My dad somewhat follows the Preds...because of me and my brother. My mom doesn't know anything about hockey.

I think the Olympics are exciting...but different from the NHL. For one, it's a little different due to the larger rink...but it's more comparable to playoff hockey because every game is meaningful. I always cheer for the USA, but I don't get as emotionally attached because *my* players (the Preds) are spread out among a number of teams...and I wish all of them to play well.

I don't really follow the WJHC.

N/A

Hometown team. If the team had moved away (to Hamilton), I would no longer follow them. I might have a soft spot for the players (like I do for Kimmo Timonen in Philly)...but I wouldn't cheer for them.

Since Nashville is somewhat new to the world of pro sports, any team that locates here will become my team. Before the Titans came to town, I usually cheered for the 49ers in the NFL. When the Titans arrived, they were my team. I'm a life-long Cincinnati Reds fan...but if the MLB ever locates a team here, I'm dropping them like it's hot.

This doesn't apply to me, but to continue on what I touched on in the previous question...it was a tough time when the Preds were rumored to move to Hamilton. I was in Knoxville (in school) and couldn't make it home for the rallies to show my support for the team. For a short time, I felt sick because I was going to lose my favorite team...my city's team...and I could do nothing about it. I would have probably switched my allegiance to a team like Carolina, because they are a similar market to us (and in the South). I don't think I would've given up on hockey, because I enjoy watching it too much...but it would've been really, really tough to lose the team I love so much.

-Kevin

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
hockey diva

Drake and nashvols, your vids are up. Tserberis, I am going to try to get your pics in your vid as well. Keep em comin' folks. Will have a camcorder and be around at the plaza party on Sat.