HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Am I Overtraining?

Old
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
michaelshu

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Am I Overtraining?

I play once a week, every Saturday 10PM - 2AM. Divided into 2 hours of coaching newcomers, and 2 hours of game. But lately I find my recovery is getting slower.
It's Monday morning now, and my body is sore as hell. I just got back into hockey on September 2011, but been doing daily exercises for over a year now.

My training schedule for the last 15 months:

Monday - 30 mins jogging
Tuesday (Chest & Lower body)- Dumbbell Fly, Dumbbell Press, Pushups, Squats, Lunges, 30 mins jogging
Wednesday (Back & Shoulders) - Pull ups, Dumbbell Rows, Side Raises, Dumbbell Press, 30 mins jogging
Thursday (Arms & Core) - Bicep Curls, Hammer Curls, Tricep Extensions, Tricep Kickback, Crunches, Wood Chop, Russian twist, 30 mins jogging
Friday - Rest

I'm 30 years old, 5'6 150lbs. I've also been eating healthy for 15 months (salt-less, good fat, good protein-carb ratio), but I'm still a heavy smoker (sometimes 1 pack a day, used to be 2 packs..).
Weight exercises are done in the morning, but I have a weighted stick both at my office and home so I practice stickhandling whenever I have free time, but I reckon that wouldn't cause overtraining, wouldn't it?

So do you guys think I'm overtraining for my age? Any advice?
Cheers

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:47 PM
7toZulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
I play once a week, every Saturday 10PM - 2AM. Divided into 2 hours of coaching newcomers, and 2 hours of game. But lately I find my recovery is getting slower.
It's Monday morning now, and my body is sore as hell. I just got back into hockey on September 2011, but been doing daily exercises for over a year now.

Monday - 30 mins jogging
Tuesday (Chest & Lower body)- Dumbbell Fly, Dumbbell Press, Pushups, Squats, Lunges, 30 mins jogging
Wednesday (Back & Shoulders) - Pull ups, Dumbbell Rows, Side Raises, Dumbbell Press, 30 mins jogging
Thursday (Arms & Core) - Bicep Curls, Hammer Curls, Tricep Extensions, Tricep Kickback, Crunches, Wood Chop, Russian twist, 30 mins jogging
Friday - Rest

I'm 30 years old, 5'6 150lbs. I've also been eating healthy for 15 months (salt-less, good fat, good protein-carb ratio), but I'm still a heavy smoker (sometimes 1 pack a day, used to be 2 packs..).
Weight exercises are done in the morning, but I have a weighted stick both at my office and home so I practice stickhandling whenever I have free time, but I reckon that wouldn't cause overtraining, wouldn't it?

Cheers
I'm no expert or anything, but i cannot see smoking as being beneficial to your recovery in any way. Also maybe cut back on one day of "jogging", as it really is not beneficial for the type of exertion that hockey requires. Drink a ton of water and throw away the damn smokes!

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
pshort

Yeah, smoking has got to be the worst!!! You aren't giving your body enough oxygen through your lungs that help your circulation and muscles! Have you been sticking to that routine since Sept? Sounds like you need some plyos and sprints. Use a stationary bike. Set it on flat for two minutes then crank up the resistance to where your legs are almost to the point of not making a full circle- cycle as fast as you can for two minutes. Do five of those- you'll be drenched in three. Never do those the same day you do legs. For weights you always want to remember to blast off on the positives and go slow on negatives. Try doing one legged press then frog jumps right after. Definitely do weighted stick handling drills. Do stuff that helps you transfer motion. Dropping the smokes is key. Good luck! Don't train like a football player.

ps. one of my favorite things to do is drag tires across the parking lot.

pshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:11 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
thanks for the feedback, guys. Yes, i'm struggling hard to quit smoking.. i can only cut back bit by bit for now.

i've been doing similar routines since 15 months ago, before getting back to hockey, slightly different but generally the same schedule.
I don't know if i can find space to do plyos or sprints, my apartment is too small and my city does not have a park.

how much does stationary bikes cost these days? any recommendations for brands/types?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
pshort

Is there a gym around/nearby?

Old
03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
7toZulu

Quote:
thanks for the feedback, guys. Yes, i'm struggling hard to quit smoking.. i can only cut back bit by bit for now.

i've been doing similar routines since 15 months ago, before getting back to hockey, slightly different but generally the same schedule.
I don't know if i can find space to do plyos or sprints, my apartment is too small and my city does not have a park.

how much does stationary bikes cost these days? any recommendations for brands/types?
If you are looking to get a killer workout in a small space, try out some Tabata workouts. Just google Tabata and you can find lots of info on it, basically you do 20 second max effort movements with 10 second breaks in between for a total of 4 mins. Doesnt seem like much but if you actually try your hardest during those 20 seconds you will feel like falling over dead afterwards. Great routines for someone in your situation.

Incorporate some lower body movements like jump squats or pistol squats into that routine and you will be on your way to hockey stardom!

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
pshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno View Post
If you are looking to get a killer workout in a small space, try out some Tabata workouts. Just google Tabata and you can find lots of info on it, basically you do 20 second max effort movements with 10 second breaks in between for a total of 4 mins. Doesnt seem like much but if you actually try your hardest during those 20 seconds you will feel like falling over dead afterwards. Great routines for someone in your situation.

Incorporate some lower body movements like jump squats or pistol squats into that routine and you will be on your way to hockey stardom!
I agree. I'd go with this. That workout rocks, Jmcarcagno!

Old
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
NorthernHab

Quit Smoking etc.

but if anything, drop the weights. You dont have to be ripped to play hockey. cardio is the most important thing

NorthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Rangerfans

Quote:

Monday - 30 mins jogging
Friday - Rest

Cheers
Chances are, you're not overtraining. Most people do not overtrain:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...st-part-1.html

I don't necessarily agree with the 'arms' part, but you're at least hitting every muscle group.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:56 PM
VerySuperFamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno View Post

I did that in a gym class(only for like 10-20 minutes). One thing I'd have to say is I find you recover quickly from that. Take a little break(2 minutes or less) after the session and you'll be great.

I'd cut down on the running and replace it with something else if you smoke but that's just me. I feel like I'm dying when I do distance running and it's really draining.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Iplayhockehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy the Goalie View Post
Quit Smoking etc.

but if anything, drop the weights. You dont have to be ripped to play hockey. cardio is the most important thing
Incorrect, big gains can be made from incredible strength in hockey. Would you expect a 12 year old(for the sake of the argument lets say 5"2 110 pounds) to skate as fast as or shoot as hard as Steven Stamkos if they had the same technique?

Iplayhockehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7035
I would take out one day of jogging to do some more explosive leg exercises, like jump squats, sprints, sidesteps and stuff like this which will help with your acceleration and your starts and stops. A lot of your energy in hockey is used exploding to full speed in hockey.
What are you doing Sunday?
Also are you stretching before and after every workout and on your off days to keep everything loose?

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Maybe drop the weight during you season and work on plyometrics and body weight exercises.

I am currently doing the 100 pushups program and the associated squat, dips and situs programs.

I am using this to build a base so I can work at deadlifts etc during the off season.

I don't over work myself and the exercises are pretty much inline with what id expend during a game.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:26 AM
izzy3

Quote:

Monday - 30 mins jogging
Friday - Rest

Cheers
If you train for hockey you can drop the arm day. If you train intensely enough you do not need extra arm training anyway, except if you're a bodybuilder.

As many suggested I would also drop jogging and would include tabata style HIIT twice a week. Takes MUCH less time and serves you better in hockey. If that's on a stationary bike, uphill sprints or some kind of kettlebell training, is up to you.

Also, I do not really know what you mean by eating healthy, but are you eating ENOUGH?

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you're happy with what you're doing, keep it up. I personally don't think you need more than a handful of compound lifts to get a full body workout but that's just me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Also, I do not really know what you mean by eating healthy, but are you eating ENOUGH?
I was wondering the same thing.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:36 AM
r3cc0s

you have to listen to your body, but also its important to tailor your routine to accomplish what you want

Smoking #1 will have a significant impact to your lung capacity, thus a higher heart rate, and the harder for your body to feed your muscles oxygen, generating more latic acids, which cause your "anerobic" state and burnout in your legs and muscles while playing

training...
When I was playing soccer 2 days (1 game 1 practice) and 2 hockey games a week (1 shinny, 1 game)

I probably only lifted about twice a week, and used the opportunities within my soccer practice and shinny game to enhance my skills, but mostly my cardiovascular endurance
I always push 100% every time I play or workout

stretching - ideally dynamic stretching before or during warmup skate, and static ones after (or when you get home)
Huge benefits, range of motion, removes tightness and at our age (30) you can reduce risk of injury (I get sciatic pain if I don't stretch)
I use an inversion table for overall back health and to decompress aggrivated joins (sciatica, right knee, ankle, and neck injuries from football/skiing/soccer)

nowadays I play 3-4 times a week, and use the stationary bike twice a week plus still lift

I will do squats once in a while, but use a vibraiton machine for my legs in a squat (deep skating) stance, which really works to build stamina and power in the hams, quads and groin areas

I find deadlifts really help the stability and core muscles, bench presses, rows and shrugs help explosive upperbody power
Shoulders are also hugely important and I focus alot on there (including shurgs)
as well Bicept and forearm work is also important, but mostly in terms of stamina as you have quite a bit of gear to wear, playing an intense sport 30+ mins a game

I switched up my diet, though I've always been a "good" eater...
I started incorporating a parfet of all bran buds, low fat yogurt, and hemp hearts (seeds) to provide well... fiber, complex carbs, probiotics, proteins and omega fatty acids
I use this as 2 of my "5" small meals a day, and I've been feeling tremendously good
I use it as pre-game fuel, and its solid (I load up more on the hemp hearts than fiber, and may have some juice)

otherwise, I typically eat complex carbs, decent proteins and proper amounts of vegatables

I never "diet", I eat what I need to fuel my body and will carbo-load prior to a game or if I'm going to be playing or doing something requiring the demand.

also I drink Pommegrante juice (pure) at about 1-2 servings a day, and I've found tangable decrease to my blood pressure and resting heart rate (112/73 and rhr of 52)
with this, I've found more stamina and I get less mentally scrambled when playing full-out, which funny enough, gives me more composure to make a "smart" play, rather than letting instint and adreneline drive the play

I also encorporeate a 45 minute infrared sauna treatment 7 days a week, for detox purposes, but it also increases your heart rate to the point where you can burn upwards and onwards of 600+ calories an hour

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
newfr4u

Quote:

Monday - 30 mins jogging
Friday - Rest

Cheers
you are not overtraining, but your program sucks and has no recovery periods. you may also not be eating enough for proper adaptation.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Silver

You're not overtraining, but you HAVE to quit smoking. Also, I'm assuming you've been at the doctor recently? A friend of mine who was very high ranked nationally in BMX when he was in his 20s was started to get bagged for a whole week after riding his motorcycle in the desert on the weekends. Turns out he had a pretty serious problem with a leaking heart valve that needed surgery. This is obviously not common, but you do want to rule out any serious health issues.

You can't smoke a pack a day (at min) and be in the kind of shape you want to be in.

Overtraining is a bit of a PITA to figure out - you almost have to get there yourself before you can really recognize it, but you end up feeling almost like you're low-grade ill the whole time. You also need some pretty crazy volumes to get there.

I'd cut out the jogging on Tuesday, and on Wednesday as well. Replace the Wednesday jog with a very light stationary bike workout. Move the Tuesday jog to Wednesday if you'd like. Drop the bodybuilding exercises too. You don't need them for hockey. Use big movements, and do them properly and safely.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

I doubt that routine with one day of hockey can qualify as "over training". I'm 4 years younger than you, have a much more rigorous lifting routine, don't have any rest days (rest from lifting, sure, but still have cardio + core as a minimum on off days) and I skate about 3 times a week. My father is 56 and has a more rigorous work out schedule plus a light skate once or twice a week. Neither of us smokes.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
griffpf

take up chewing tobacco instead of smoking tons of the pros do it or do some cocaine since 75% of players in the show do it

griffpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Stickmata

Moxxor. 2 pills twice a day for 30 days to load your system, then 2 pills a day thereafter. Bye bye aches. Also, bye bye a lot of cash, unforunately.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Moxxor. 2 pills twice a day for 30 days to load your system, then 2 pills a day thereafter. Bye bye aches. Also, bye bye a lot of cash, unforunately.
What a crock of manure.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreckm View Post
What a crock of manure.
Really? A couple NHL teams (and large number of other professional and amateur athletes) would disagree with you.

BTW, I don't sell the stuff. I use it. And it's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Stuff's the shizzle.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:40 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
All the studies show Moxxor is no more effective than placebo.

It is the purest example of snake oil.

Omega-3 fatty acids are good for you, but if you truly got 300x the amount as you would with regular fish oil pills, your kidneys would shut down and you would die.

Maybe it works for you, but you are wasting your money. Google "Moxxor scam" for links to plenty of reputable science. Take your fish oil pills instead and save your money.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote