HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Okposo's Goal: That's What Isles were Talking About

Old
03-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Okposo's Goal: That's What Isles were Talking About

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...bout-1.3578010

"I just tried to be strong tonight. I really just want to get back to kind of wanting the puck," he said of his 15th goal. "I want to make plays. I want it on my stick, and I think it showed. When you have that kind of mind-set, I think the puck tends to follow you."

Okposo's battle is to be consistent. "I've really made a conscious effort the last few games just to be strong, be hard on the puck," he said. "Tonight it really paid off. I've just got to shoot the puck a little bit more and I'll get my chances."

03-04-2012, 10:14 PM
19NYSports91

vCash: 500
I thought he played pretty well today. He needs to shoot more, he has a good shot, but he likes to make the perfect pass and it doesnt work too often. I still think his hockey stick is too short....

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I thought he played pretty well today. He needs to shoot more, he has a good shot, but he likes to make the perfect pass and it doesnt work too often. I still think his hockey stick is too short....

maybe he and grabs can switch sticks

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Bauer Warrior*

He had a very strong game tonight. That was a great goal in that it was a hard working goal where he outmuscled and opponent and fired the puck quickly.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:38 AM
djavan

he's got the skill, just needs to believe in himself and has to improve his accuracy

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

Jeez if he stays hot he might hit 20, is that for the first time ever? If so, weve been pretty hard in him

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:27 AM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Jeez if he stays hot he might hit 20, is that for the first time ever? If so, weve been pretty hard in him
Speak for yourself, Stromey

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:38 AM
KyleBailey12

That's the Okposo we need every game.

Unlike most of you, I still haven't given up hope.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:07 AM
MikeyMike01
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Same.

MikeyMike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

I'm not usually the guy to blame a coach, BUT, these young Isles players are RIPE for the right coach, a teacher, a guy who can help these guys be better.

I don't know enough about Capuano and his style (though on the bench he seems a bit disinterested at times), and I don't know how he runs a practice - but a guy like Okposo has so many tools, if he can simplify his game, he should be a really solid NHL player for a long long time. I'd say the same for Comeau.

Grabner really needs some coaching.
Bailey needs coaching.
Moulson needs coaching.

I marvel at how good Hamonic's become, so soon, but I think that he also could use some mentoring and coaching.

I feel like these players are simply thrown over the boards....in HOPES they will adapt and adjust. Some do (like Tavares, Hamonic, Martin) but many struggle.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Talk about ignoring a body of evidence. Forgive me if I want to see him play and produce consistently for half a year before changing my opinion of him.

This thread makes me wonder what would have happened on here if Rolston had actually produced one good game...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Same.
No reason to give up on Kyle. The problem has been that he has tried to be something he is not, and/or the coaching staff has put him roles he is not suited for. If he sticks with the grinding/churning style, he will be the kind of player every team wants. If he tries to dance around and play the perimeter finesse game, he will struggle.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm not usually the guy to blame a coach, BUT, these young Isles players are RIPE for the right coach, a teacher, a guy who can help these guys be better.

I don't know enough about Capuano and his style (though on the bench he seems a bit disinterested at times), and I don't know how he runs a practice - but a guy like Okposo has so many tools, if he can simplify his game, he should be a really solid NHL player for a long long time. I'd say the same for Comeau.

Grabner really needs some coaching.
Bailey needs coaching.
Moulson needs coaching.

I marvel at how good Hamonic's become, so soon, but I think that he also could use some mentoring and coaching.

I feel like these players are simply thrown over the boards....in HOPES they will adapt and adjust. Some do (like Tavares, Hamonic, Martin) but many struggle.
Gordon seemingly brought the best out of Okposo, he used him in all situations, he gave him terrific motivation I think and a direction. If we had that Okposo this team would be so much better. There is no reason to write off Okposo now, not when he is close to getting 20 for the first time and in his first year of a 5 year contract but it would be very good for him and the rest of the team to have a better coach.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:31 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Gordon seemingly brought the best out of Okposo, he used him in all situations, he gave him terrific motivation I think and a direction. If we had that Okposo this team would be so much better. There is no reason to write off Okposo now, not when he is close to getting 20 for the first time and in his first year of a 5 year contract but it would be very good for him and the rest of the team to have a better coach.
I honestly think Guerin brought out the best in Kyle and I was sad to see him go.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
I honestly think Guerin brought out the best in Kyle and I was sad to see him go.
Maybe. Either way, Isles need to bring in guys that can give players like Okposo direction, whether it's coaching (needed regardless) or players.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
That's the Okposo we need every game.

The margin of error is close to about 3 more losses if we expect to finish between 88-91 points (give or take a couple ot losses) which still doesn't guarantee 8th. We can pretty much pack it in after that. 16 games remaining but the season is over after that 3rd loss imo.

The Jersey game could have been a blow out. Many good chances and pressure in the offensive zone and good coverage in our own zone. Had a bunch of quality chances (Tavares especially) but could not finish and kept most of the Devils shots to the outside. That was good hockey. They made a statement that they aren't ready to give up.

The key is guys like Okposo stepping up. This goal was a good sign especially considering the way he got it. Same with Bailey the last few games. Also, they NEED to win against the teams going for 8th as well. You give them points, the margin for error shrinks considerably.

Last edited by StumpNYI: 03-05-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: I read that quote as playoff hopes...not sure why.
StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
The margin of error is close to about 3 more losses if we expect to finish between 88-91 points (give or take a couple ot losses) which still doesn't guarantee 8th. We can pretty much pack it in after that. 16 games remaining but the season is over after that 3rd loss imo.

The Jersey game could have been a blow out. Many good chances and pressure in the offensive zone and good coverage in our own zone. Had a bunch of quality chances (Tavares especially) but could not finish and kept most of the Devils shots to the outside. That was good hockey. They made a statement that they aren't ready to give up.

The key is guys like Okposo stepping up. This goal was a good sign especially considering the way he got it. Same with Bailey the last few games. Also, they NEED to win against the teams going for 8th as well. You give them points, the margin for error shrinks considerably.

We have yet to go over .500 once this season. .500 is 82 points. Not enough for the playoffs.

Unless we can get over .500 this week and maintain that level of play, then my hopes are not up.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:45 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
We have yet to go over .500 once this season. .500 is 82 points. Not enough for the playoffs.

Unless we can get over .500 this week and maintain that level of play, then my hopes are not up.
Yes. My hopes are not up either. But until we cross that 3 loss threshold there is still reason to hope if you feel this team can do it.

For perspective, a 12-3-1 record will give us 90 points. That might be enough. 11-3-2 is 89 pts...that is stretching it. Anything less and say goodbye to the playoffs. So if we lose 3 straight we would need to go 13-0-0 at best or an 11-0-2 streak to even think about making it. I don't have a lot of confidence in them achieving this.

Don't mean to go off topic but supporting the hopes of some of the fans, the play of Okposo will have an impact on this outcome. Especially with two rookies on his line. he can drive that secondary scoring as long as the defense can play like they did in NJ.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:01 PM
IslandersFan17

when you see bailey and KO making an impact it almost is as fun as watching tavares dominate. If those two kids can continue to chip n and do it on a consistent basis the Islanders are going to be a very hard team to beat.

We have all spoken about this team needing secondary scoring and what have you and when you see the style of game these guys can bring there is no reason to believe that this team can not make a push for the post season.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Yes. My hopes are not up either. But until we cross that 3 loss threshold there is still reason to hope if you feel this team can do it.

For perspective, a 12-3-1 record will give us 90 points. That might be enough. 11-3-2 is 89 pts...that is stretching it. Anything less and say goodbye to the playoffs. So if we lose 3 straight we would need to go 13-0-0 at best or an 11-0-2 streak to even think about making it. I don't have a lot of confidence in them achieving this.

Don't mean to go off topic but supporting the hopes of some of the fans, the play of Okposo will have an impact on this outcome. Especially with two rookies on his line. he can drive that secondary scoring as long as the defense can play like they did in NJ.

Yup, agree with all of this. The required points to make it is obviously not set in stone, just an average of the post-lockout 8th seed which is a pretty small sample size (although I feel it is a pretty accurate barometer -- just not the end all be all). This number will fluctuate and will be very dependent on the number of 3 point games, how poor the Southeast is, and a bunch of other factors.

The number of points out has far less importance than the number of teams to jump. If, hypothetically, they were the same 5 points out of 8th but were actually in 9th place, then it wouldn't matter if they had 90 points right now or 50 points.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Sorry ive seen these little spurts of talent with both KO and Bailey before. How long before he goes back to being a softy and trash talking after 3 refs are in between him.

You guys are like obsessed parents who are ecstatic every time your kid scores a goal. In the end you all need to realize the kid aint that good to be a pro and you have to just appreciate it for what he is. The sooner Garth realizes this , the easier it will be to get a better package in return.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Sorry ive seen these little spurts of talent with both KO and Bailey before. How long before he goes back to being a softy and trash talking after 3 refs are in between him.

You guys are like obsessed parents who are ecstatic every time your kid scores a goal. In the end you all need to realize the kid aint that good to be a pro and you have to just appreciate it for what he is. The sooner Garth realizes this , the easier it will be to get a better package in return.
I understand you're point, but sometimes all it takes is the right mentor(s) to get someone to mentally get "it". It can be in the form of a coach or a player. Unfortunately for the Islanders, it's unlikely that either of those pieces will land on the Island, so you may be right.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Talk about ignoring a body of evidence. Forgive me if I want to see him play and produce consistently for half a year before changing my opinion of him.

This thread makes me wonder what would have happened on here if Rolston had actually produced one good game...
Sorry, comparing KO to that slug is comical. Kyle gives much more effort, but he's hit more posts this year than Rolston has had shifts where he broke a sweat.
I think Kyles still confused about what type of player he's most effective as...finesse or power. Sounds like he's realized what will be most efficient for both he & the team. Better late than never

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
I understand you're point, but sometimes all it takes is the right mentor(s) to get someone to mentally get "it". It can be in the form of a coach or a player. Unfortunately for the Islanders, it's unlikely that either of those pieces will land on the Island, so you may be right.
If your making millions and you still dont "get it" I dont know what else to tell a professional hockey player. It's a kids game and you have to use your body.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:46 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

Eh, Baileys play was noticably better the second he was put on a line with some talent. I am way more sure that bailey will be a good player for many years in the NHL. Not nearly as sure on KO.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote