HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Trying to learn about Atlanta's NHL history

Old
03-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Daynz
What!?!

vCash: 500
Trying to learn about Atlanta's NHL history

What are some good websites and books I could read to learn more about the Atlanta Flames and Thrashers. How they came to Atlanta, general management, and also the reasons behind their being sold and the lead ups to it? I'd like to know more about the history of the current Jets and also Atlanta's NHL history (both teams) in general.

Daynz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Wikipedia is a good place to start. I'm not sure about any books though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Flames

Side note - my uncle Harold is in the picture there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Thrashers

03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
toddism

Atlanta is a city of non-atlantans

In 1960 Atlanta had 1.5 million people. In 2004 there were about 5 million people. Since they are not from here the teams were never their's. When the Thrashers were winning, people would go. When they weren't, the few Thrasher fans would go to the game plus the people that moved from Chicago-Dallas-New York-New Jersey or where ever the opponent was from.

Add to the non-native population the worst ever owners in the history of the world, an arena an hour away from most atlantans, ****** parking and a bad neighborhood and it was a recipe for disaster.

We fired Bob Hartley and then did not hire a coach for a whole freaking season. Periodically Don Waddel - the owners' dog washer - would stand behind the bench and not help them win. Then - since they were losing - the end of every year was a sale of talent.

Finally the last year they were here we had a real GM. Rick Dudley put the team you see together. He got Ladd, Byufglien, Stewart, Mason and added them to the core. He added a goalie coach! No fire sale at the end of the year either.

The Flames had fans. I went to a number of games including the last one they ever won here - a playoff game. The place was packed and rockin. Still the team was sold.

Damn, I miss my team (s). Friday night I watched them play each other - Calgary and Winnipeg and it really hurt.

toddism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
SealsFan

Unlike most expansion teams, they didn't have several dreadful seasons right out of the gate. They were 25-38-15 in their first season, not great but certainly not as bad as other expansion teams. They immediately jumped to a .500 season the next year and pretty much remained a .500 team for the seven remaining seasons they were in Atlanta. Their fans never had to face frustration akin to the early Islanders, Caps, Scouts, Sharks or Senators.

They had some decent players over the years. They had good goaltending from the start with Phil Myre and Dan Bouchard splitting the games for their first 5 seasons, a remarkable feat for an expansion team to have such consistent goaltending. Olympic hero Jim Craig got in 4 games for them in their last season in Atlanta.

While their legacy may be defined as mediocrity, they were nowhere as nondescript as the Thrashers. I always enjoyed following them, especially for their goalies.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM
toddism

http://www.facebook.com/boochie30?ref=ts

Bouchard is on Facebook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Unlike most expansion teams, they didn't have several dreadful seasons right out of the gate. They were 25-38-15 in their first season, not great but certainly not as bad as other expansion teams. They immediately jumped to a .500 season the next year and pretty much remained a .500 team for the seven remaining seasons they were in Atlanta. Their fans never had to face frustration akin to the early Islanders, Caps, Scouts, Sharks or Senators.

They had some decent players over the years. They had good goaltending from the start with Phil Myre and Dan Bouchard splitting the games for their first 5 seasons, a remarkable feat for an expansion team to have such consistent goaltending. Olympic hero Jim Craig got in 4 games for them in their last season in Atlanta.

While their legacy may be defined as mediocrity, they were nowhere as nondescript as the Thrashers. I always enjoyed following them, especially for their goalies.

toddism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Everybody laughed when Atlanta was awarded a franchise but the Flames were a Hit. As SealsFan notes interesting players, competitive team. Owner had a financial meltdown; actor Glenn Ford leading some investors to buy but got beat out by Nelson Skalbania & Calgary interests who doubled Fords offer. NHL shouldve demanded the Flames stayed put, gateway to the South, one of the top markets in the US. Fast forward & beyond Turner, a travesty for the league & fans. Two strikeouts on soft lobs that shouldve been home runs.

Last edited by Killion: 03-13-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typos...
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Shibby1984

Here is a pretty good 15 or so minute documentary video on both teams.

http://blip.tv/LTAH/a-tale-of-two-at...pecial-5581935

Shibby1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Mad Habber

Ah, the Atlanta Flames. Remember them fondly. Not so much from watching them, but from my younger days of pouring over any and every hockey stats I could find and my hockey cards.

They had a good Timmins boy in Eric Vail on the team, so I liked them a bit. Then in their final season, they got Don Lever from South Porcupine, so 2 Timmins boyson one team was quite something. Not as good as the Mahovlich brothers in Montreal earlier, but alright.

Tom Lysiak finished 2nd in Calder voting in 74. Vail won the Calder in 75 and Willi Plett in 77. So a little was expected from them. The Islanders though had Potvin win it in 74, Trottier in 76 and Bossy in 78. The Flames kind of missed out. Sort of like Vancouver settling for Dale Tallon instead of Gilbert Perreault.

Mentioned above was the Flames good goaltending duo of Myre and Bouchard. I also remember some other good forwards like Guy Chouinard and Bob MacMillan, Kent Nilsson, Curt Bennett, and a cup of coffey from Ivan Boldirev. But their defense seemed to always been filled with the Richard Mulhern, Randy Manery, David Shand types until Paul Reinhart came in as a rookie. One HOF D could have turned that team into a powerhouse and kept that team there maybe. A Potvin, Park, Robinson or Salming type that played good D and helped kick start the offense and Lysiak and Vail's numbers would have been better.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:24 PM
nutbar

Weren't the Flames always near the bottom of league attendance? I assume the Thrashers were too...

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
Weren't the Flames always near the bottom of league attendance? I assume the Thrashers were too...
Not really - for most of their history they were ~9th-12th in the League in attendance, with only two years near the bottom

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote