HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Islander Fans Rant We All Can Relate To.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
No Need To Vanek

vCash: 500
A Islander Fans Rant We All Can Relate To.

I am a 19 year old Islander fan. I have been watching this team as a diehard fan since I was about 8 years old in 2000. The most success I have experienced as a Islander fan is the Yashin & Peca years. I am sick of this crap. At least when we were losing in the 90's and early 2000's we had players like Webb and Cairns busting their ass every night and being proud to wear the Islander logo. Now we have pansys like Reasoner who are scared of physical play. I feel bad for players like Tavares, Hamonic, & etc that bust their ass every night and when they get laid out, their "teammates" stand there and watch. Enough is enough. We need players with heart back here because sometime heart can beat skill. I am at the point I don't even care about this team anymore. When the kids who go to the games get to my age and realize what they're watching and stop maybe Wang will realize he alienated his future fanbase.

No Need To Vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:59 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

It's simple. Get a new owner. See: Buffalo

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:31 AM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

I'm 18. I don't even remember the Bates penalty shot. I only liked the Islanders because of Czerkawski and sorta stuck with them. I think I would've ended up being a Whalers fan if they stuck around. I live pretty far away and have only been to one game this year but I have watched every game this year. I don't really know why I keep coming back, but I do. This year, I know they won't make the playoffs and probably finish in bottom 5 but I will still watch them. Even though Wang does dumb stuff, I will probably always come back...unless they move.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:56 AM
MJP

*An

And don't worry, you have plenty more years of terrible organization to live through

MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:06 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

I'm 19 as well and started following this team around the 01-02 season. I, too, am sick and tired of seeing this team becoming a bunch of pansies. I feel bad for JT, Hammer, and Martin giving their all and yet their teammates just watch them get mauled. That's why I've been pushing all season to have a guy like Haley on this team, but some of these fans think it's better to have so called "skilled players" on a CHECKING LINE. Having guys like Haley ignite the whole team. You saw how it was last year, when everyone stood up for each other. This year, not so much. I hope we can get a QUALIFIED and BELOW THE AGE OF 34 veteran to help out this team. A winger for JT and a top 4 dman (I know it's been said too many times on this forum but it needs to still be done). We also need a coach who needs to learn how to tell the truth. Not someone who says the team played a "pretty good game" when they blow the lead in the last couple minutes of the game. There needs to be discipline and accountability on this team and there is ABSOLUTELY NONE OF EITHER.

With that said, all of this is put on the shoulders of Emperor Wang. And we need him to sell. That's the only hope right now for this team.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:24 AM
FortNeverLose

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
I'm 18. I don't even remember the Bates penalty shot. I only liked the Islanders because of Czerkawski and sorta stuck with them. I think I would've ended up being a Whalers fan if they stuck around. I live pretty far away and have only been to one game this year but I have watched every game this year. I don't really know why I keep coming back, but I do. This year, I know they won't make the playoffs and probably finish in bottom 5 but I will still watch them. Even though Wang does dumb stuff, I will probably always come back...unless they move.
The bolded is the question that mets and isles fan such as myself ask ourselves everyday... You do it if you are a true fan plain and simple

FortNeverLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortNeverLose View Post
The bolded is the question that mets and isles fan such as myself ask ourselves everyday... You do it if you are a true fan plain and simple
I always felt that being a true fan would prove more rewarding when your team wins. But now I dont see this team ever winning, and I am pretty sure that my years of being loyal as a puppy to this franchise are simply going to result in an ever growing **** sandwich. I literally can not even comprehend what it would feel like if this team was an actual NHL franchise, not even an elite one, instead of a punching bag. I feel like us fans only exist to be a punchline for fans of real teams that couldn't even comprehend in their worst nightmares what rooting for this crap show is like.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:26 AM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortNeverLose View Post
Same here, luckily for me I'm a Giants fan too. In fact, a friend and I flew to NY from Arizona (I go to U of A...so yea I'm recovering from our loss against Boulder on saturday too ) the night before the Giants victory parade just to see the parade, and flew back right after it. I was gone from Tucson for about 26 hours. Cost about $500, but as a diehard and keeping in mind that I might never see a Mets or Isles parade in my lifetime, I had to do it...totally worth it too.

So anyways, I'm 18, and like the other teens here have said my best Isles moments were the Yashin/Peca years (being at the Bates penalty shot game in the '02 playoffs is probably my best moment) and the 06-07 season, which I'm sad no one ever mentions or talks about. Those teams not only had quality players whom management would spend on, but players who actually gave a damn! The players that I have seen from the small amount of games I've watched this year - the Rolstons, Reasoners, Eatons play without any fire or caring. Disgusting. I really don't understand why Haley has been down in the AHL nearly the entire season - the guy can fight, plays like he actually gives a damn...I guess we don't want players like that? Management (SnoWang) need to forget about the arena and start caring about the TEAM - fire f'ing Capuano and hire a REAL NHL coach! Spend money on legitimate NHL talent - if they decide not to come because of the arena, so be it! And don't screw up prospects like Nino by giving them 10 min a game on the 4th line while trying to give them NHL experience. If only, if only...

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:41 AM
OlTimeHockey

If you or anyone you know is buying tickets, you or they are endorsing this whole mess wholeheartedly.

Just stop giving Wang your money. It won't end until EVERY fan stops buying tickets. Ever.

See: Detroit.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:20 AM
BillD

To keep coming back is the same as why people slow down and look at roadside collisions. If they actually saw dead and mangled bodies they would be apalled, but they are compelled to look.
This team is a slow motion train wreck.
No identity at all.
Can't play a finesse game....we don't have enough finsse and skill players.
Can't play a physical game....we don't have mor ethan one or two physical players.
Can't play a speed game......we do not have enough fast players.
Can't play a defensive style.......we don't have enough good defensive players.

NYI don't have enough of anything to establish an identity and play that style.
Terribly constructed by an amateur GM and a cheap, crazy, meddling owner. End of story.

Last edited by BillD: 03-12-2012 at 02:36 PM.
BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:15 AM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

I guess I've done my best to block out the 90s post 1993, but the late 90s was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen. Probably worse than what were are seeing now. Even the 08-09 season was better than much of the late 90s. That's how awful it was.

I only go to 1 or 2 games a year, and park at Hofstra and don't buy any food in order to limit my funding of Wang.

It's the optimist in me that hopes that things will get better. Then the realist sets in and gives myself a face palm for ever believing that this franchise will ever doing anything right.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
stevedepot

I am 46.
I went to the first Islanders game at the Coliseum against the Atlanta Flames.
Been through everything with this team. The downs, the downs, the ups and downs and the glorious run, the parades, with years of season tix and subsequent tear down to the latest Wang dynasty of failure.

I feel for the younger fans who missed out on those years.
All you had to say was a specific year and Rangers fans stood silent and grinded their teeth.

To have some of the younger fans who love this team remember a Bates penalty shot in a losing series be a memorable moment puts it in perspective.
We deserve better. The sooner Wang puts them up for sale the sooner things will get better.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
gramatanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post
I am 46.
Been through everything with this team. The downs, the downs, the ups and downs and the glorious run, the parades, with years of season tix and subsequent tear down to the latest Wang dynasty of failure.

All you had to say was a specific year and Rangers fans stood silent and grinded their teeth.

To have some of the younger fans who love this team remember a Bates penalty shot in a losing series be a memorable moment puts it in perspective.
We deserve better. The sooner Wang puts them up for sale the sooner things will get better.
I'm 44, lived through both good and bad times early on with the Islanders, but was fortunate to have witnessed the Drive for Five and I also feel very sorry for the younger Islander Fans that have nothing good to remember the Islanders but for a few one and done playoff series. It's really a shame that this organization has had such incompetent and malevolent owners/management the last 20 years or so.

Last edited by gramatanboy: 03-12-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Islanders1932

23 years old, became a fan in 2000 (11 years old), Bates penalty shot is my only good moment with this franchise. My only playoff game I experienced was in 2004 against Tampa. We lost 3-0. I have watched every single game from 2002-2011. This year I watch as many games as I can, but have realized more time is more valuable hanging out with friends. I have gone to 10 games this year (3-6-1). However, I just feel done. It was an Isles-Rangers game last night and I didn't hurry home to watch it. I'm afraid more people are starting to feel like me. I consider myself one of the biggest die hard fans, but I am just losing interest. I know next year I will have just as much excitement going into opening night, but what happens if the same thing happens next year? I think we might start to really lose fans.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
I am 46.

Im one of those younger fans who love this team... But I think the Bates Penalty Shot is a memorable moment for EVERYONE who loves this team (or at least it should be)

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
stevedepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Im one of those younger fans who love this team... But I think the Bates Penalty Shot is a memorable moment for EVERYONE who loves this team (or at least it should be)

You are correct. I should have phrased that as "most memorable moment".
That's what I meant.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
You are correct. I should have phrased that as "most memorable moment".
That's what I meant.
Gotchya, and yeah... as sad as it sounds I have to agree

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Chardo

I was a teenager during the Cup years. Dad was not a hockey fan, so not many games for me. Got my fix from Jiggs and Ed. Naturally I was not at the Coliseum on that magical May afternoon in 1980, so I can only guess what it was like. I have had season seats the past 11 years, so I have been there for all the highlights of the Wang era.

I have seen The Who in concert.
I had a neighboring house explode from a gas leak.
Just last month, I stood in the jet blast of a 747 taking off in St. Maarten.

I have never heard anything louder than the Shawn Bates goal.

Chardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
scott99

Quote:
I am 46.

Weird,

I'm 49, and my first islanders game was in 1979 against the Atlanta Flames. Used to watch a lot of games from 1975-78, but never went until 1979. I'm sorry to say, I don't see things ever turning around, UNTIL this team gets sold. It's so obvious Wang was in it for the real estate, and sooner or later, he will lose so much money that he'll have to sell. Hopefully it's someone like the guy who bought the Sabres, or a group that includes Pat Lafontaine. It's going to take a few years, so we are stuck with ****** hockey until then. John Tavares is a stud, and he will try his best to get the Isles to the playoffs next year. But unless the ownership/GM shocks us and actually make moves that improve this team, like I said, we are stuck with ****** hockey.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
I was a teenager during the Cup years. Dad was not a hockey fan, so not many games for me. Got my fix from Jiggs and Ed. Naturally I was not at the Coliseum on that magical May afternoon in 1980, so I can only guess what it was like. I have had season seats the past 11 years, so I have been there for all the highlights of the Wang era.

My brother went with me to that game. He was a bandwagon ranger fan but yeah, is the playoffs. He's been to games where the yankees win the world series, he's been to giants games where they won at the end, he's been to massive indoor concerts. He still says to this day that was the loudest anything he's ever 'experienced'. I mean, that want just a goal, that was an experience. The camera couldn't get bates in the shot because the place was moving so much, you couldn't hear howie (I taped the game and watched it when I got home too lol) at all.

Every fan in that building had the feeling that they were witnessing the start of something special. Shame how much they went backwards since then..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post

A must for anyone before you leave this mortal coil. Well, that and gambling on a turtle race. $.50 Heinikens (REAL Heini's!).

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
19 in a row

I feel for the younger fans as well.
My family was a baseball family and not into hockey at all. I am 44 and my introduction to hockey was 2nd round of 75 watching the Islanders beat the penguins on tv, and was hooked immediately. So I had good times early on but the best I can do to equate this is being a met fan during the 70s and early 80s with 2.5K people at shea and me screaming loudly for grote, milan, milner, kranepool etc...I didnt care how terrible they were it was my Mets.. and yes those teams were terrible, the owners were terrible, they were never going to get better... but things changed and they did get better, through the farm and trades(for a time). so hang in there, it is always darkest before the dawn... I will always love this team no matter what, and although I know there are issues, when they do get better (and I am in the minority that believes they will), it will be oh so sweet... the rangers have only 1 cup in 72 years and they basically bought that one.. if we get better and it is homegrown or God forbid, through a trade, the pride will be immense and the joy will last a lifetime like the Mets in 86.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
peter021

I'm 39 and also got to enjoy the Cup wins. Bossy was a god to me and I would re-enact the mid-air goal versus the Canucks in the 82 Cup Finals in my driveway. (As an aside, that was a much more impressive goal than Bobby Orr's famous 'leap' goal and accompanying photo. Orr scored, then dove. Bossy scored while his entire body was parralel to the ground. But I digress...)

I bled orange and blue. I even worked for them for a year out of college in '94. While I was mildly excited that things had turned around with the addition of Peca, I haven't truly been excited for a run by this team since my friend nearly flattened me after Volek's goal to beat Pittsburgh at Bogart's Pub outside Hofstra.

I'd been patient with the rebuilds and subsequent restarts. Tavares is a beast and provides legitimate cause to be excited watching his growth.

But the franchise is a laughing stock. Not just in the NHL but in North American sports in general. It's a joke, but no Islander fan is laughing. The new logo, the colors, the owners. You couldn't make this stuff up.

I'll always continue to root for the players, but I haven't been to a game in 12 years. It helps I moved to Boston and now live in DC. But I can't in good conscience contribute to a franchise that continually takes its now-dwindling fan base for granted.

I hope they can some day turn it around so the younger fans, like the ones that posted in this thread, can enjoy some of those memories. I know my growing up was made that much better by it.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

im 23 and have been a fan for pretty much all my life...i was at the 93 playoff run (but hardly rememer) and have been to the toronto series and so on

i agree with people who say dont give wang your money but at the same time understand why people still go (i goto much less games than i used to, but still do goto a couple)...the fact of the matter is wang will hold this team hostage until his dream of a new arena collapses completely...the few thousand walk up tixx sold on a random fri night are peanuts to his pipe dream

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i agree with people who say dont give wang your money but at the same time understand why people still go (i goto much less games than i used to, but still do goto a couple)...the fact of the matter is wang will hold this team hostage until his dream of a new arena collapses completely...the few thousand walk up tixx sold on a random fri night are peanuts to his pipe dream
I understand the frustration and people can do with their money what they choose. Not trying to judge anyone we all have our own situations. For me, I see no reason to withold my money to hurt wang..it is not about him but about being a fan.. witholding my support (in any way i might enjoy) runs counter to my defintion of what being a fan means for me. Wangs feelings don't enter into my thought process when i decide where my entertainment dollar is going. If i thought boycotting games would make this team better in the short run i would be on board. However, I think it is just the opposite, i feel if I did that it would help perpetuate a bad situation and make it worse. There are plenty of owners to hate in sports, many have stuck it to the fans in many ways. Our seats are cheap, so you'll have to excuse me if i buy inexpensive seats to see my favorite hockey team, guilty. I am a fan always will be. You can hate wang but if he had dolans revenue streams we would be a perennial contender, i dont see ranger fans withholding money from their games because their owner is a jerk. I respect the decisions of those who choose to not go, but wish you would reconsider. If they decide to relocate (and not locally) we just lose again.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote