HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

intermidiate stick for adult 6'2?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2014, 10:14 PM
jarg7

vCash: 500
intermidiate stick for adult 6'2?

Im an adult 6'2 about 145lbs a bit on the skinny side and am considering getting an easton stealth rs 2 intermidate stick because the price is right. My question is the length going to be a problem, can I install an insert easily which may help with the length issue?

Old
09-24-2014, 10:48 PM
CarpeNoctem
Chilling w The Chief

Lengthen an intermediate stick and you'll likely end up around 60< flex. If you can barely flex that, I'd spend time hitting the gym instead of playing hockey.

Old
09-24-2014, 10:54 PM
VaughanBender72
The Pain Is Coming

vCash: 1319
145 for 6'2 is incredibly underweight. Go hit the gym and gain some weight. Otherwise, http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Hocke...ge-REPLUG.html

Old
09-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

vCash: 1040
Dude, I have two tips for you : Eat twice as much as you do right now, and hit the gym. You need it.
I'm in a similar situation, but I'm still fairly young (6ft tall, 150 lbs, 18 years old, and I'm injured right now).
I can use any stick up to 100 flex, and I will snap in half any stick under 75 flex.
At 6 ft 2, you should be able to handle a 75 flex senior stick at least. Even an 85 flex should be usable.
An int stick will be way too short, even when you insert an extension. If your hands are proportional to your height, they will also be too big compared to the shaft's diameter.

Old
09-25-2014, 12:37 AM
jarg7

i can use a 85 flex stick fine but this easton rs2 is on sale for 60$ and im on a tight budget thats why Im trying to see if it would work for me. Yes i know it would be good to hit the gym and i do but there are other factors involved and im a hard gainer.

Old
09-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarg7 View Post
i can use a 85 flex stick fine but this easton rs2 is on sale for 60$ and im on a tight budget thats why Im trying to see if it would work for me. Yes i know it would be good to hit the gym and i do but there are other factors involved and im a hard gainer.
I'm sorry, but an int stick simply isn't made for you. It's a great deal you found though. Keep searching, you can find some great senior OPS to buy for a relatively cheap price.
Save up a bit more, and you can get a Warrior Widow for $110.

Old
09-25-2014, 11:29 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Dude, I have two tips for you : Eat twice as much as you do right now, and hit the gym. You need it.
I'm in a similar situation, but I'm still fairly young (6ft tall, 150 lbs, 18 years old, and I'm injured right now).
I can use any stick up to 100 flex, and I will snap in half any stick under 75 flex.
At 6 ft 2, you should be able to handle a 75 flex senior stick at least. Even an 85 flex should be usable.
An int stick will be way too short, even when you insert an extension. If your hands are proportional to your height, they will also be too big compared to the shaft's diameter.
There is absolutely 0 reason for someone your size to use anything above 85 and 75 is actually likely the best flex for you.

The shaft of an intermediate is also the same as a senior in almost all sticks.

Old
09-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
There is absolutely 0 reason for someone your size to use anything above 85 and 75 is actually likely the best flex for you.

I just said that I can use anything in the 75-100 flex range. The perfect flex for me is 85. 75 is too whippy for slap shots, and 100 is too stiff for wrist shots.

And in most cases, int shafts are thinner than senior shafts of the same model. High end int sticks such as the RS2 OP was talking about are too flimsy for a 6 ft 2 dude's hands.

Old
09-25-2014, 12:31 PM
mattkaminski15

Well. Most important question is wgat is the flex of the stick. At your size id recommend 70-75. Keep in mind that an extension will make the stick softer. So if the intermediate is75 and you add a6 in. Extension you'll have around a68-69 flex. I'd get my hands on it. If it's comfortable to you you couldgo for it. And for 60 bucks if it isn't right for you you could always use it as an off ice aid.

Bottom line is basically the height and flex of the stick itself. If you need the full 6in. Extension then you want a 75 flex at least.

Dont worry about going to the gym, it's nice to do but you don't need ridiculous arm strength for a good shot. (Patrick Kane for example).

Old
09-25-2014, 01:23 PM
AIREAYE

The opinions on a 75 flex stick + extension should be bang on.

Old
09-25-2014, 02:30 PM
American in Paris

I'm 6'2" and 170lbs and use a 65 flex intermediate. The stick comes up to just below my chin when I'm on skates. The extra flex takes some getting used to and definitely comes with costs and benefits.

Think of it as an upside down U shaped curve plotted on a graph comparing (1) on the Y-axis, the wrist/snap shot speed and quickness of release vs. (2) on the X-axis, the amount of force your body can generate when shooting with proper form. At lower force levels a 65 flex can benefit every type of player by enabling them to release hard shots more quickly with less effort. But beyond a certain level of force, the 65 flex behaves like a wet noodle and will reduce the amount of power a strong player can transfer to the puck.

A lower flex stick basically moves that curve closer to X=0.

There's no black and white answer to whether or not you should use a 65 flex. My style of play is to skate agilely, pass frequently and to try to surprise goalies with quick release shots so a 65 flex works well for me. If you play more like a Subban or Ovechkin and want to unload maximum strength bombs, you should probably use a higher flex.

Old
09-25-2014, 04:25 PM
jarg7

Quote:

are you saying i could use the intermediate stick?

Old
09-25-2014, 04:30 PM
jarg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkaminski15 View Post
Well. Most important question is wgat is the flex of the stick. At your size id recommend 70-75. Keep in mind that an extension will make the stick softer. So if the intermediate is75 and you add a6 in. Extension you'll have around a68-69 flex. I'd get my hands on it. If it's comfortable to you you couldgo for it. And for 60 bucks if it isn't right for you you could always use it as an off ice aid.

Bottom line is basically the height and flex of the stick itself. If you need the full 6in. Extension then you want a 75 flex at least.

Dont worry about going to the gym, it's nice to do but you don't need ridiculous arm strength for a good shot. (Patrick Kane for example).
Thanks for the reply. You seem like you know what your talking about. The stick in question is a 65 flex unfortunately thats all they have its clearns and I could try without the extension first and see how that works. I'm more of a get the puck in deep and make something happen type player so quick release / wrist shot stick is what Im looking for. That being said, I tend to prefer longish sticks for reach however right now I'm using a shorter stick. I'll have to try it out really to see how it would work I guess.

Old
09-25-2014, 04:39 PM
jarg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
I'm 6'2" and 170lbs and use a 65 flex intermediate. The stick comes up to just below my chin when I'm on skates. The extra flex takes some getting used to and definitely comes with costs and benefits.

Think of it as an upside down U shaped curve plotted on a graph comparing (1) on the Y-axis, the wrist/snap shot speed and quickness of release vs. (2) on the X-axis, the amount of force your body can generate when shooting with proper form. At lower force levels a 65 flex can benefit every type of player by enabling them to release hard shots more quickly with less effort. But beyond a certain level of force, the 65 flex behaves like a wet noodle and will reduce the amount of power a strong player can transfer to the puck.

A lower flex stick basically moves that curve closer to X=0.

There's no black and white answer to whether or not you should use a 65 flex. My style of play is to skate agilely, pass frequently and to try to surprise goalies with quick release shots so a 65 flex works well for me. If you play more like a Subban or Ovechkin and want to unload maximum strength bombs, you should probably use a higher flex.
Thanks for the insightful reply and you're analysis of flex vs power and style comparisons is helpful.I believe I have figured out the situation and althogh the 65 flex intermediate is not the optimal stick for me, I feel like it will provide a substantial bang for the buck and I can adapt to the sticks optimal play style. I think im actually going to go to the hokey store and check out a int 65 flex and see how it feels. I havent tried one out so I dont have much to go off of.

Old
09-25-2014, 05:08 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 76
I'm still a noob, but I wanted to chime in and say the int stick could work for you. Good idea to go try it and get a feel for it. Last winter I was 140 lbs @ 5'10 and was having trouble cutting my wood stick to my desired length while maintaining flex (granted the wood didn't have much give anyway). I got a 67 flex int and liked it quite a bit.

And I know the weight gain aspect is a secondary issue but don't give up man. I'm 160 now and still trying to gain more. I used to think I was a hard gainer too until I realized I just wasn't eating nearly enough. Look up a TDEE calculator to see how much calories you use at maintenance, and then eat above that.

Old
09-25-2014, 06:44 PM
TieClark

Quote:
are you saying i could use the intermediate stick?
I don't see why not. Try to find a 75 intermediate, throw an extension on that and you'll be set.

People tend to have this false notion that they should be using a higher flex than they need and it limits them.

Old
09-25-2014, 07:05 PM
jarg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyExit View Post
I'm still a noob, but I wanted to chime in and say the int stick could work for you. Good idea to go try it and get a feel for it. Last winter I was 140 lbs @ 5'10 and was having trouble cutting my wood stick to my desired length while maintaining flex (granted the wood didn't have much give anyway). I got a 67 flex int and liked it quite a bit.

And I know the weight gain aspect is a secondary issue but don't give up man. I'm 160 now and still trying to gain more. I used to think I was a hard gainer too until I realized I just wasn't eating nearly enough. Look up a TDEE calculator to see how much calories you use at maintenance, and then eat above that.
Thanks for the tip. I've always had trouble gaining weight and lately my diet hasnt been optimal. I need to work on eating right and healthy and more. I'm a work in progress!

Old
09-25-2014, 07:07 PM
jarg7

Quote:
I don't see why not. Try to find a 75 intermediate, throw an extension on that and you'll be set.

People tend to have this false notion that they should be using a higher flex than they need and it limits them.
unfortunatly the stick im looking at for the steal price is 65 flex, but maybe a 2-3 inch extension would work and still give me at least a 60 flex which will be light, but may work.

Old
09-25-2014, 08:21 PM
TieClark

Quote:
unfortunatly the stick im looking at for the steal price is 65 flex, but maybe a 2-3 inch extension would work and still give me at least a 60 flex which will be light, but may work.
Now that I don't think will work. You have to realize when you add an extension you're making the stick whippier. So adding 2-3 inches on that stick is going to result in the flex being closer to 50 than 60 which is way too whippy for anybody that isn't a child.

Old
09-25-2014, 08:51 PM
jarg7

Quote:
Now that I don't think will work. You have to realize when you add an extension you're making the stick whippier. So adding 2-3 inches on that stick is going to result in the flex being closer to 50 than 60 which is way too whippy for anybody that isn't a child.
Maybe I just wont extend it then..
Otherwise, Ill need to save an extra 50 bucks and probably go for the warrior widow or covert dt3? Although Im not sure I can find those right handed at 85 flex or below.

Old
09-25-2014, 09:01 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Maybe I just wont extend it then..
Otherwise, Ill need to save an extra 50 bucks and probably go for the warrior widow or covert dt3? Although Im not sure I can find those right handed at 85 flex or below.
At your height you almost certainly will have to.

I don't see why you couldn't find one of those warriors in an 85 or 75 flex.

Old
09-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

I also wanted to add that you should take your range in consideration. I prefer using longer sticks to go around defensemen easily, and to be able to poke check further away from my body.

Seriously, is there any problem with a senior 75 flex ? I don't think so. You could give the int stick a shot, because after all, Ovi uses 80 flex sticks despite being a 6ft3 230 lbs dude, and I'd say he has the best shot in the game.

It's a matter of preference I guess. What suits me may not suit you.

Old
09-25-2014, 09:05 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
I also wanted to add that you should take your range in consideration. I prefer using longer sticks to go around defensemen easily, and to be able to poke check further away from my body.

Seriously, is there any problem with a senior 75 flex ? I don't think so. You could give the int stick a shot, because after all, Ovi uses 80 flex sticks despite being a 6ft3 230 lbs dude, and I'd say he has the best shot in the game.

It's a matter of preference I guess. What suits me may not suit you.
Ovie uses a 75 actually. Mind you he doesn't care if he snaps his stick, but that's my point in regards to using lower flexes. You get far more out of your shot with much less effort.

Old
09-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!

Quote:
Ovie uses a 75 actually. Mind you he doesn't care if he snaps his stick, but that's my point in regards to using lower flexes. You get far more out of your shot with much less effort.
It depends which shot. If you're more of a wrist shot and snap shot player, then you want to use a soft flex. If you're all about the slap shot, like Souray or Rolston, then you'd prefer a stiff flex. Brian Rolston used 120 flex sticks to get the most out of his slap shot.

Old
09-25-2014, 11:53 PM
hyster110

Quote:
i read he uses multiple different flexes depending on the situation, around 80 5 on 5 and then stiffer on the powerplay

on the subject of stick flex, its all about what is comfortable, remember patrick kane uses a 107 flex stick

Closed Thread