HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

pickup/drop-in in NYC area?

Old
09-24-2014, 05:15 PM
mlaws9

vCash: 500
pickup/drop-in in NYC area?

I'm about to move to NYC (Upper East Side, to be specific) and am having trouble finding decent info on rink locations and times for drop-in/pickup.

I'm most interested in places that offer morning (pre-work; like 6 a.m.) drop-in times, if there are any. But any info anyone has on decent (not super-crowded, not super-expensive) pickup hockey in the greater NYC region would be great.

One last thing: I'm about to be (gulp) car-less, for the first time in my adult life. How do you other NYC hockey enthusiasts manage? Public transit (with all our gear??)? Zipcar?

Thanks!

P.S. If any of you run or are invited to "organized drop-in" sessions, I swear I'm a good player. I mean, not amazing, but I always snagged invites to such sessions in the D.C. area. I pass a lot/am unselfish. I'm not a guy you'll regret inviting ...

mlaws9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Tacks92

Chelsea Piers does weekdays at noon, but it's kind of expensive ($25 i think), but you can buy a ten pack that makes it cheaper.

Best open hockey that's still reasonable close, I think, is at City Ice Pavilion. Usually they have Friday and Saturday night sessions and also a Wednesday early morning pre-work session (weekly schedules posted here: http://www.cityicepavilion.com/master-schedule) . The rink's easy to get to from UES (4,5,6 to the 7 at Grand Central, and then like a two block walk to the rink).

World Ice Arena in Flushing also has good Friday and Saturday (and sometimes, Thursday) sessions, but no easy way to get there without a car. In the winter, there's a rink in Harlem at Riverside State Park (outdoors) and they have open on Thursday nights which is cheap, but sometimes crowded and sometimes brutally cold with the river breeze. Lasker Rink (outdoors) in Central Park also has good winter drop in, though be forewarned the rink is like 3/4 size. I also think Van Cortlandt Park has a rink they do drop in at over the winter.

Then there's Aviator rink in Brooklyn, but I've never played there and it's like 1hr plus to get to from UES. Hear it's a good, competitive group though.

Tacks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2014, 11:55 AM
mlaws9

That is hugely helpful! Thank you. So people are generally cool with schlepping your gear/sticks on the subway?

mlaws9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Tacks92

Ha, yeah I mean I take mine to work if I have an early game, so if it can work during UES rush hour, it can pretty much be ok anytime. It's annoying, but people can deal.

Best tip: get in at the very front or very back of the car and then stash your gear by the doors that go between cars (people aren't supposed to use them, but it's easy to move if they do), that way you're out of the way and can usually snag a seat at some point.

Getting off can be tricky though ... sometimes you just have to do the old "excuse me" and walk through all the jerks who pretend they don't hear you (which is funny, because they never expect you to have a gigantic bag with hard equipment inside). But it's never been too bad.

Tacks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2014, 11:45 AM
robmneilson

I moved out of NYC in 2012, but when I left drop in @ Chelsea was $35 and the most expensive in the city. However there were a bunch of private skates there (I remember one was most Sat nights from 11-1) and it was $20.

World Ice is still doable without a car, but it's a 10-15 minute walk with your gear once you get off the 7 train.

Lasker should be open in early/mid Nov and they have drop in for $20.

Last edited by robmneilson: 09-27-2014 at 11:52 AM.
robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote