HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 12:25 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Why not extend his AI5?
Ai5 isn't even too small, they're only looking into another stick for a backup in the case his breaks (which he thinks it's going to) during an upcoming tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would stick with the Ai5, Ai7, or Ai9. If it's a bit short for him stock, get a wood plug. You may have to sand/file/shave it to size and chop off the excess.

Intermediates are likely going to be to stiff for him until he's 5'3 or taller. I'm 5'7 and chop off 3-4" off intermediate sticks...at 5' I'd be lopping off nearly a foot. Way too much stick to lose.

Another option is Miken which makes those Accuflex sticks. They have a lot of flex and length options for those who are between junior and intermediate sticks. Maybe a 45 or 55 flex?
He practiced with the vapor and hated it (which didn't surprise me) but he wanted an N12 which I knew is going to feel the same for a junior or is way too big for an intermediate/senior. Thankfully after I told him this he finally listened and said he'd just get another Ai5 so hopefully that's that.

Oh and the Miken thing is a good idea but he's an idiot and wants "sexy" sticks. Only thing he asked when I told him some options was "what do they look like?". His Ai5 now was a christmas present from me 2 christmas' ago that he's loved.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Don't suppose you can return the Vapor, huh? Guess I'd just take him to the store and say "what do you want that's under $100?"

Old
01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Don't suppose you can return the Vapor, huh? Guess I'd just take him to the store and say "what do you want that's under $100?"
I can return it because I bought it at my work. It's not marked up or anything and the stickers on the blade are even there still.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:15 PM
octopi

Picked out a new stick today, $21 a Reebok 2 K crosby(I decided on less of a curve). The guy at the shop said you won't notice the difference between the cheapo ones and super expensive ones unless you are a really elite player(which I am not)

Old
01-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That guy's either dumb or lying. You can certainly tell the difference between sticks. If you can lift a puck off the ice, you're ready for a $100 hockey stick.

Can you take it back? The 2k stick is not for ice hockey, it's for playing with a tennis ball out in the street.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
AIREAYE

FWIW, it's an EXCELLENT street hockey stick.

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree with Jarick's $100 stick comment.

Last edited by AIREAYE: 01-17-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 11:50 AM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Picked out a new stick today, $21 a Reebok 2 K crosby(I decided on less of a curve). The guy at the shop said you won't notice the difference between the cheapo ones and super expensive ones unless you are a really elite player(which I am not)
I am not an elite player, but I DEFINITELY notice a difference between a $21 stick and a $100 stick. Even the difference between a $50 and $100 stick is black and white. Cheap sticks are heavy, have weird balance, vibrate (sometimes painfully!), twist, and will just generally get in between you and your skill development. If your wrist shots are wobbling you want to know it is your technique and not the stick.

That said, I cannot tell a significant difference at my level between a $100 stick and a $200+ stick.

I don't think there's hard and fast rule on this stuff, but even as a beginner I would be looking in the $100 range (or better yet, sticks that retail for that but are on sale/clearance). For me and a lot of people I play with, that is the sweet spot between affordability, durability, and quality.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Does anyone know where I can still get my hands on aluminum Easton sticks? Preferably the silver Gretzky model? I don't like the feel of composite, because they feel flimsy, and wood is a little to heavy for my tastes.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:54 PM
SaintTavares

Quote:
FWIW, it's an EXCELLENT street hockey stick.

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree with Jarick's $100 stick comment.
Yea, I use a 2k for roller and it's great for that.

But I use a Supreme One60, and it's VASTLY different from the Reebok. I couldn't believe how light it was when I first held it compared to the 2k and 3k I use.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Does anyone know where I can still get my hands on aluminum Easton sticks? Preferably the silver Gretzky model? I don't like the feel of composite, because they feel flimsy, and wood is a little to heavy for my tastes.
ebay, kijiji, local listings

Old
01-21-2013, 04:14 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
ebay, kijiji, local listings
I'll check ebay, didn't even think of that. Anyone know how reliable they are for actually giving good sticks though? I know the last Easton I bought online ended up being already dented pretty badly near the bottom of the shaft, and that really screws with the integrity of the stick.

Probably won't be a big deal for me this year as I'm not playing right now, but I've been wanting to get back again soon, but I broke my last aluminum just screwing around on an outdoor rink a few weeks back (my own dumb fault, it was way to cold to bring that stick out) and it's been tough to find them since I was in high school. Even when I was playing Midget I usually had to dig around in the back room of sports stores to find new shafts when I needed one.

Thanks for the advice.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:59 PM
do0glas

Has anyone noticed the amount of RS II's that are in the nhl right now?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:11 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Has anyone noticed the amount of RS II's that are in the nhl right now?
You mean paintjobs? New paintjobs are applied in accordance with a stick release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I'll check ebay, didn't even think of that. Anyone know how reliable they are for actually giving good sticks though? I know the last Easton I bought online ended up being already dented pretty badly near the bottom of the shaft, and that really screws with the integrity of the stick.

Probably won't be a big deal for me this year as I'm not playing right now, but I've been wanting to get back again soon, but I broke my last aluminum just screwing around on an outdoor rink a few weeks back (my own dumb fault, it was way to cold to bring that stick out) and it's been tough to find them since I was in high school. Even when I was playing Midget I usually had to dig around in the back room of sports stores to find new shafts when I needed one.

Thanks for the advice.
Reliability? That would be random, no?

Ebay, the site, is a marketplace; they don't sell you things. The people in it do.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:45 AM
zeeto

My Sherwood 950, in a Spezza pattern, is getting all chipped up at the tip. I think I'm going to jump to a composite blade from the wood ones I've been using since I started back up last summer, since I've finally settled on that pattern for ice.

Has anybody used a Bandito blade? Any thoughts on it? I'm thinking of picking one up in the Kovalchuk pattern from purehockey since it's $35. It would be going in a AK27 shaft, just on the slim chance someone has actually used this combo before.

I've also read that Warriors lies are usually .5"-1.5" greater than what they actually say. So the 4" Kov pattern is really more like a 5", if anyone has used the Kov pattern, is that true?

Old
01-22-2013, 11:17 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeto View Post
My Sherwood 950, in a Spezza pattern, is getting all chipped up at the tip. I think I'm going to jump to a composite blade from the wood ones I've been using since I started back up last summer, since I've finally settled on that pattern for ice.

Has anybody used a Bandito blade? Any thoughts on it? I'm thinking of picking one up in the Kovalchuk pattern from purehockey since it's $35. It would be going in a AK27 shaft, just on the slim chance someone has actually used this combo before.

I've also read that Warriors lies are usually .5"-1.5" greater than what they actually say. So the 4" Kov pattern is really more like a 5", if anyone has used the Kov pattern, is that true?
The Bandito is a very decent mid-end standard blade.

The lie numbers are misleading as every company measure their lies differently. See if you can ignore them and gauge by curve equivalence and simply 'eyeballing' it. The Kovalchuk is similar to the P88 Kane from Bauer, P40 Hedman from Reebok etc.etc. Check out Jarick's curve chart or the curve database on MSH.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Ani simov mal

I've been using an Easton Iginla. If the Iginla is a true 5.5 lie, i'd like to trie a true 6 lie. Should I go with a ops p106 or a shaft and blade combo p88? Thank you.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
AIREAYE

Neither. If you want that feeling of a slightly higher lie, try a Getzlaf/Lidstrom, even a P92. Heck honestly, for that small of a change, just extend your stick length a little.

Base/Harrow have many different options for curves and have several lie options for the most popular ones.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Ani simov mal

I'm 6'2 but I like to cut the stick so that it's under my chin (without skates). I've been using easton se16's with iginla curves but they're all broken now. I liked the iginla curve but i'd like a slightly higher lie.

Also, which other sticks on the market are similar to the se16?

Old
01-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Bandito is pretty decent, not amazing, and it's a hair heavy, just make sure the shaft is not super light to balance it.

Ani, try either a P14 curve (I find the tapered toe makes it play like a bit higher lie and it shoots lower than a P92) or go custom with the Base blades. Getzlaf is the highest lie you can find but it's more open.

The EQ50's and Mako's are pretty similar and should be on clearance all over the place.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
sniper515

Looking for some stick buying advice, figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm going to pro hockey life tonight to grab a new stick. Im not looking to spend too much. These are the 4 sticks I'm considering ATM
Reebok's 3.0.3 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons Mako M1 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons 55S (59.99)
Bauer Nexus 400 (59.99)

Additional information
I'm playing juvenile house league right now, moving to mens league next year
I'm a big guy (6'3, 250)
Love taking wristers, hardly ever take slapshots.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Under $100 they're all pretty awful, so whichever one looks the nicest.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
zeeto

Quote:
The Bandito is a very decent mid-end standard blade.

The lie numbers are misleading as every company measure their lies differently. See if you can ignore them and gauge by curve equivalence and simply 'eyeballing' it. The Kovalchuk is similar to the P88 Kane from Bauer, P40 Hedman from Reebok etc.etc. Check out Jarick's curve chart or the curve database on MSH.
Thanks, I completely forgot about the curve charts.

Quote:
The Bandito is pretty decent, not amazing, and it's a hair heavy, just make sure the shaft is not super light to balance it.
Thanks. I was checking out its weight and the "specs" on it list the weight as the same grams as my wood 950, and it does make my stick a bit unbalanced feeling.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:34 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper515 View Post
Looking for some stick buying advice, figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm going to pro hockey life tonight to grab a new stick. Im not looking to spend too much. These are the 4 sticks I'm considering ATM
Reebok's 3.0.3 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons Mako M1 (on sale for 59.99)
Eastons 55S (59.99)
Bauer Nexus 400 (59.99)

Additional information
I'm playing juvenile house league right now, moving to mens league next year
I'm a big guy (6'3, 250)
Love taking wristers, hardly ever take slapshots.
Check out the M1 II which was just recently released. I assume the stick guy will know what you're talking about, but if not :
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EM12

They have a Rapidshot system setup to test out sticks with. Grab a couple and try them.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:25 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Can't decide which stick to grab. I quit even trying to do two piece, it's too much of a hassle finding shafts I like. I found one used and I absolutely hated the feel of it.

I think i'll do Warrior or buy me a Supreme Total One. I have actually never tried Warrior and I hear they are durable, yet i've seen players move from Warrior to Bauer so I have no idea. This is what i'm looking at:

Bauer Supreme Total One- 129.99
Warrior Widow Composite- 129.98 (15% off on top of this, 160 at Total Hockey)
Warrior Diablo- 104.98
Warrior Dynasty- 109.98

I just put the Diablo and Dynasty because I hear questions about the Widow's durability. There is also a Dolomite for 100 which i've never used Warrior so.

All recommendations if these suck. My top price is probably $160.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:58 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Also will the price of the Warrior sticks go down or should I just buy it now with the 15% off?

Closed Thread