HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fair is fair: Who were the media types and sources who said that Markov was done for?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
  #26
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I remember a lot of posters on this board saying he wouldn't play a single game and would retire. I'm glad they were proven wrong.

That said, as others have said, it's only been one game. So let's not get too excited. Anything can happen. I really hope that Markov can stay healthy for the rest of his contract, because he's the best player to play for the Habs for at least the last 15ish years. He's a treat to watch.
here here. Any Hab fan is hoping for the same thing. Cause that PP setup with Subban is looking very good.

And that strtch pass he made to Pacioretty, MORE PLEASE!

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
  #27
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,498
vCash: 500
One game, tonight is game 2.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:58 PM
  #28
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I like your positive attitude towards waiting for Markov (unlike mine!), but let's wait and see...!! (he just came back!!).

I've been disappointed by Markov's fragile body many times...let's hope he stays healthy for a long, long time this time and also...shows up for playoffs and plays well for once.

Let's see if he can survive that first heavy bodycheck...I'm already nervous for this.

This summer...get a solid TOP 4 UFA dman (ex: Suter).
And, also acquire a VERY SOLID #5-6 dman.

Suter?
Subban
Markov? (if his knee/rest of body holds up)
Gorges
Emelin
UFA solid #5-6dman
--------- -----------
St-Denis??
Diaz?? (trade bait??)
Kaberle???
Weber (trade bait?
----------- ----------
I can't wait for:
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Ellis
Bennett
Dumba?!
lets not go out spending like drunks on Suter ,etc...
it blew up in our face with the rest of crap we signed lately

I want Tinordi , and others in the lineup within 1- 2 years

But if you sign 2 blueliners at dumb money then these guys have no chance of playing with us

whoever is our new GM , I would give him $ 8 to spend this summer

we have to many dumb contracts on a crap team , its time to pahse in the kids and give them the legit shot to play their correct roles , not cup of coffee`s on 4th lines

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
  #29
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
lets not go out spending like drunks on Suter ,etc...
it blew up in our face with the rest of crap we signed lately

I want Tinordi , and others in the lineup within 1- 2 years

But if you sign 2 blueliners at dumb money then these guys have no chance of playing with us

whoever is our new GM , I would give him $ 8 to spend this summer

we have to many dumb contracts on a crap team , its time to pahse in the kids and give them the legit shot to play their correct roles , not cup of coffee`s on 4th lines
Defensemen need experience. Trying to plug in all your prospects and young D's into the lineup in a couple of years is a recipe for disaster... unless you're looking to tank for a while.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
  #30
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
lets not go out spending like drunks on Suter ,etc...
it blew up in our face with the rest of crap we signed lately

I want Tinordi , and others in the lineup within 1- 2 years

But if you sign 2 blueliners at dumb money then these guys have no chance of playing with us

whoever is our new GM , I would give him $ 8 to spend this summer

we have to many dumb contracts on a crap team , its time to pahse in the kids and give them the legit shot to play their correct roles , not cup of coffee`s on 4th lines
I think it's a good idea to try and sign a top 4 UFA Dman. Use some of the depth as trade bait to fill another need. And that would still leave room for promtions in the system while covering our butts incase of another rash of injuries.

Agreed, the 4th line should be filled with actual quality 4th line types. I do see some cap savings by using some of our youth on the 3rd line.


Markovs injuries should serve as warning to management to add some solid dmen as we've seen how much we struggled because of a lack of NHL Quality dmen....Not to say that our young guys aren't any good, they just needed alot of time to devellop and that ended up costing goals at the wrong times in games. That is what hurt us the most. Next to only having one scoring line produce regularly.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:41 PM
  #31
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I remember various tweets from various twits who said in hushed doublespeak that Markov's career was over and he would retire in the summer. That his knee wouldn't ever be healed and Gauthier knew this but kept delaying it to save his job somehow.

Can someone help me out here? If we're gonna to dismiss fake sources we might as well dismiss ALL the fake sources not just trade rumor fabricators. Like this maybe we can actually shut up some of the parasitic media types who haunt the Habs.

I think Marinaro was suggesting that Markov's knee was worse than let on, but I'm sure there were some older French guys that said worse.


I had heard, from a very reliable source who is well connected in the montreal medical community, that word amongst the top Mtl orthopedic surgeons (none of whom were directly working on/with Markov) that given the information out there about the procedures/complications he'd suffered, returning to NHL play would be a long shot & that even if he did, he would be very limited/at further risk.

I would imagine that this kind of info/speculation made its way to several media-types.

Like others in this thread, I don't recall anyone coming out and stating it as fact, merely as speculation.


besides, if you want to call anyone out for "fake rumours", what about PG himself?

seems to me he stated with a pretty strong sense of certainty that Markov was due back much much sooner than March 2012...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:38 PM
  #32
MoonlightGraham
Registered User
 
MoonlightGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
If we're REALLY being fair maybe we should wait more than two games before assessing Markov's return to form after his injuries and calling out people who said he was done.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
  #33
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,820
vCash: 256
2 games and no problem for Markov, going to be tested this week with 3 games in 4 nights, getting closer to joining Russia Mr. Markov

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
  #34
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,695
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Marinaro says a lot of dumb things but he never said Markov was done
He has said that he would not be surprised, nor does he think, Markov will never play a game on his contract.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
  #35
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
2 games and no problem for Markov, going to be tested this week with 3 games in 4 nights, getting closer to joining Russia Mr. Markov
Yes, considering they would invite him in the first place..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
  #36
Franked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
People really want Markov playing in the WC? Shouldn't the team ask him not to?

Franked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:12 PM
  #37
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go
 
cjbhab*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,252
vCash: 500
Marinaro suggested Markov's knee was worse than he let on.. and Marinaro turned out to be correct. Markov was supposed to be back a long time ago.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
  #38
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,820
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Marinaro suggested Markov's knee was worse than he let on.. and Marinaro turned out to be correct. Markov was supposed to be back a long time ago.
according to Pierre Gauthier at the Golf Tournament, " 2 semaines "

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
  #39
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franked View Post
People really want Markov playing in the WC? Shouldn't the team ask him not to?
What would even be wrong with him playing for the Wolds?
First off, I'm not convinced he'll get an invite unless he improves quite a bit. He is slow on his skates which doesn't help on an even bigger rink. He also has troubles with his mobility as was seen when he got humiliated by Ennis, that was embarrassing. We all know his situation, so it's okay, but had that happened to Kaberle or Campoli, you can only imagine the fans reaction.

But say he does go there? What's the problem really? I understand people are worried, but truth of the matter is, he wouldn't be playing now if his knee wasn't healed to its maximum capability. If his knee again gets torn down, well, it would have happened in the NHL, and better it happens sooner so that management doesn't make the same mistake of thinking he'll be fine and so, not look for proper depth.
If there's one thing we've learned about our current management is that they love to make the same mistakes over and over again.

If Markov remains healthy through the rest of the year, improves his game, gets an invite, then I think he should go. It gives him more games to practice in, which will only help for the next year.

If Markov feels its best to rest, then he will do just that. I don't think Markov will jeopardize his career just so he can play in an annual Tournament that doesn't even hold the best players in the World. So, if rest is needed, he won't go.
Pretty sure that if he's looking at an International game, it's the Olympics set to happen in Sochi 2014, not the IIHF.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
  #40
Pedro McGuire*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be so quick to declare Markov "Back to his old self". I'm sure it wont be all rainbows and lollipops.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
  #41
Franked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What would even be wrong with him playing for the Wolds?
First off, I'm not convinced he'll get an invite unless he improves quite a bit. He is slow on his skates which doesn't help on an even bigger rink. He also has troubles with his mobility as was seen when he got humiliated by Ennis, that was embarrassing. We all know his situation, so it's okay, but had that happened to Kaberle or Campoli, you can only imagine the fans reaction.

But say he does go there? What's the problem really? I understand people are worried, but truth of the matter is, he wouldn't be playing now if his knee wasn't healed to its maximum capability. If his knee again gets torn down, well, it would have happened in the NHL, and better it happens sooner so that management doesn't make the same mistake of thinking he'll be fine and so, not look for proper depth.
If there's one thing we've learned about our current management is that they love to make the same mistakes over and over again.

If Markov remains healthy through the rest of the year, improves his game, gets an invite, then I think he should go. It gives him more games to practice in, which will only help for the next year.

If Markov feels its best to rest, then he will do just that. I don't think Markov will jeopardize his career just so he can play in an annual Tournament that doesn't even hold the best players in the World. So, if rest is needed, he won't go.
Pretty sure that if he's looking at an International game, it's the Olympics set to happen in Sochi 2014, not the IIHF.
Management should try everything to get proper depth anyways, and they should have this season. I mean, with Gill and Hamrlik off the cap, I can't believe they didn't try everything to upgrade the D, Markov or not.

But back on topic, Markov has missed 3 whole playoff rounds (that we all lost) and about two seasons and a half in regular season in the last 3 years. No matter what the reason, at some point you have to view him as injury prone. So any game he plays is a risk of injury.

The team paying him 5,75 M a year wether he plays or not should make sure he only risks injuries while playing for them. Anyway that's how I see it.

Franked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:49 PM
  #42
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franked View Post
Management should try everything to get proper depth anyways, and they should have this season. I mean, with Gill and Hamrlik off the cap, I can't believe they didn't try everything to upgrade the D, Markov or not.

But back on topic, Markov has missed 3 whole playoff rounds (that we all lost) and about two seasons and a half in regular season in the last 3 years. No matter what the reason, at some point you have to view him as injury prone. So any game he plays is a risk of injury.

The team paying him 5,75 M a year wether he plays or not should make sure he only risks injuries while playing for them. Anyway that's how I see it.
You can view him as injury prone, doesn't mean he actually is.
But yes, management should plan as if Markov will be gone again, they should have done so this year as you said. But they didn't, and do you trust management at this point? They certainly keep making the mistake of trading potential/top 6 players at their lowest value for a crap return while they go on to perform well for their respective teams.
Management screwed up by not going for a depth signing in case Markov was out. They did another mistake by thinking Kaberle could fill that spot. Nothing really makes me confident that they won't make that mistake again.

Also, if Markov is injury prone, so he is. Would you prevent him from going to the All-Star game? the pre-season games? the Olympics?
At some point, you gotta let the man play. He's ready now, or at least seems like it. We will see if there's anything that arises by the end of the year. If not, and he gets an invite, I don't see why he shouldn't go.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
  #43
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,178
vCash: 500
The ultimate jynx thread lol

Markov has a lot more to prove to his doubters.

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
  #44
Bryson
Registered User
 
Bryson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franked View Post
The team paying him 5,75 M a year wether he plays or not should make sure he only risks injuries while playing for them. Anyway that's how I see it.
I know that movie actors are often asked to sign a "no high-risk activity" clause like no bungee jumping or sky diving while shooting a movie and stuff like that. Movies often have hundreds of millions of dollars invested in them after all.

I don't think this is quite the same thing. If Markov is healthy, then you gotta let him play to see what he can do and if his knee can hold up. He's got 2 years of rust to work off. The more games he gets in before next season the better. Also, you risk disgruntling a player by not letting him represent his country.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
  #45
Franked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I know that movie actors are often asked to sign a "no high-risk activity" clause like no bungee jumping or sky diving while shooting a movie and stuff like that. Movies often have hundreds of millions of dollars invested in them after all.

I don't think this is quite the same thing. If Markov is healthy, then you gotta let him play to see what he can do and if his knee can hold up. He's got 2 years of rust to work off. The more games he gets in before next season the better. Also, you risk disgruntling a player by not letting him represent his country.
I understand why you would let him play, let him get his game back and all. But it's also a risk of injury, and I can see why the team would not want him to play (though I'm not sure if it's up to them or not). In this case, I guess I'd want him to turn the invitation down if he has one.

As for disgruntling a player, come on. He missed enough game that he should understand that the team paying him 5,75 M would want to protect their investment.

But the truth is I have no idea if the decision is up to the team or the player. And I won't pretend like I know how an ACL surgery rehab works. I guess we'll see.

Franked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.