Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2012, 11:21 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Agreed about the 4 lines. But I don't think anybody would consider the 3rd and 4th equal. Gotta' expect more offense out of the third and really think Bonino is up to the task. If he ends up on the 4th, he could still help but as I said earlier I think it would be a disappointment for him and the team.
How would it be a disappointment for the team? The Ducks are a lot better if Koivu is there third line center.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
How would it be a disappointment for the team? The Ducks are a lot better if Koivu is there third line center.
I was conceding the #2C to Koivu. My point wasn't to compare Bonino to Koivu. My point was that he should be coming to camp as the #3C with the position his to lose. If he ends up on the 4th line then he lost it.

Without intending to start another debate I could see Koivu and Selanne actually being the 3rd line with Ryan/Bonino/DSP/Palmieri as the 2nd line.

However you slice it I believe Bonino ending up on the 4th line would be a step back for him and therefore not helpful to the team because he has regressed. It's certainly possible, just not a good thing if it happens.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:06 PM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I was conceding the #2C to Koivu. My point wasn't to compare Bonino to Koivu. My point was that he should be coming to camp as the #3C with the position his to lose. If he ends up on the 4th line then he lost it.

Without intending to start another debate I could see Koivu and Selanne actually being the 3rd line with Ryan/Bonino/DSP/Palmieri as the 2nd line.

However you slice it I believe Bonino ending up on the 4th line would be a step back for him and therefore not helpful to the team because he has regressed. It's certainly possible, just not a good thing if it happens.
I didn't realize you were conceding the #2 center spot to Koivu. With that said, Bonino will most likely be the #3 center.

Old
06-15-2012, 04:04 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Ducks sign Friberg:

http://translate.google.ca/translate...26prmd%3Dimvns

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 06-15-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old
06-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

I'm trying to get excited about Friberg, but he's yet another midget, and he's a few years away.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Carelton CA

Conditioning camp June 26 to July 4

Has anyone heard what part of camp this summer will be open to the public. Every year this seems to be a little different. I did read that Coach Boudreau and his staff will be running camp which would be great to watch from the stands. I also heard anyone with a two way contract has been told they need to be there. Sounds like it's all business.

If anyone knows the public viewing please post.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:34 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
I'm trying to get excited about Friberg, but he's yet another midget, and he's a few years away.
He plays a bigger game than his frame would suggest.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
He plays a bigger game than his frame would suggest.
Well yeah, he'd have to, wouldn't he?

Old
06-15-2012, 05:42 PM
GreatBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
TSN has Friberg listed at 5'10" and 195 pounds. That weight is not exactly midget class. However, he is at least three years away from the Ducks. He is going to have another year in Sweden and at least one year in the AHL.

I wonder how much of this signing (and that of Wagner earlier in the year) is a result of the Schultz situation, where the Ducks are acting to prevent their draftees from going back into the draft or using the college CBA loophole. Draft choices are resources, and the Ducks may be looking to protect those resources.

If Schultz is a concern that is causing the Ducks to act in this way I suspect that this means that the Ducks will not draft Trouba or any other player going to college with a high draft choice unless the CBA loophole is fixed.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBear View Post
TSN has Friberg listed at 5'10" and 195 pounds. That weight is not exactly midget class. However, he is at least three years away from the Ducks. He is going to have another year in Sweden and at least one year in the AHL.

I wonder how much of this signing (and that of Wagner earlier in the year) is a result of the Schultz situation, where the Ducks are acting to prevent their draftees from going back into the draft or using the college CBA loophole. Draft choices are resources, and the Ducks may be looking to protect those resources.

If Schultz is a concern that is causing the Ducks to act in this way I suspect that this means that the Ducks will not draft Trouba or any other player going to college with a high draft choice unless the CBA loophole is fixed.
I don't think we signed Wagner as a preventative measure. We would have had no leverage to do so. College players going pro after their sophomore year if very common. Also, it's not like Junior players lack the ability to leave Anaheim. We will continue to draft college players.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBear View Post

Signing players you drafted at some point is basic business, not just for the Ducks, for any team. I don't think there's any indication of an influence of the Schultz situation. There's no question that you want to sign the players you drafted that since have shown promise. That's really not new.

I also don't think it should be called a loophole. Loopholes can be fixed without changing the rules first. Exploiting actual loopholes isn't worth tolerating. See the whole Kovalchuk contract rejection. That was an actual loophole, and while there was no rule against it at the time, we didn't have to wait for a new CBA to fix an actual loophole like that. This is just a case of certain rules applying or not applying. Prospects re-entering the draft isn't a loophole, either. Losing the rights to prospects after not being able to sign him for a certain of number of years isn't, either. That's along the lines of this.

Finally, I really don't see this instance changing the Ducks' attitude towards players going to college. They've had a tendency of doing so for quite a bit, and it hasn't been working too badly. Schultz making the decision he has just illustrates a general risk in drafting, not a special one limited to those players. Other prospects could just as well refuse to sign and re-enter the draft, for example. It's a very small exception to the rule of players signing, so it would be ill-advised to not pick the guy you like best because you fear he could prefer to leave four years down the road.

EDIT: ED beat me to it.

Old
06-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Takao
kesbae

Was great watching Friberg back at the WJC. Hopefully he starts to get more ice time with his team.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Carelton CA

The Friberg and Wagner signings show a couple of things.
Number one, the scouting group did a tremendous job with these picks. Both of these guys were 5th round picks in 10 and 11 respectively. To have the team sign both of them this quick is actually pretty remarkable. Also management did not give them 5th round money to sign, that tells you that both guys are projected to be in the plans through their RFA contract.

IMO neither signing has anything to do with Schultz, it is much more about controlling the players development. To have Wagner go back to college and play 2 another 40 game season probably does not accelerate his improvement. Also, if he plays NCAA this year, he theoretically would only need to play his senior year and become a FA. Friberg can go back to Sweeden and play there this year, if the Ducks don't like whats going on over there they can pull him to Anaheim for a stretch of games.

Looking at our young players, we have an exciting mix based on the last 3 drafts. Holland, Palmieri, Fowler, Smith-Pelley, Etem, Wagner, Heed, Rakell, Welinski, Friberg, Gibson, Bobkov

Old
06-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
Friberg can go back to Sweeden and play there this year, if the Ducks don't like whats going on over there they can pull him to Anaheim for a stretch of games.
That's not really true. I mean, Anaheim could ask him midway through the season to come over, but his Swedish team can't be compared to an AHL affiliate. It's a pro team in an elite leauge with a contract with Friberg. If the Ducks felt something was wrong in December, nothing would happen, unless Friberg himself wanted out of there quickly. He most likely won't be available to the Ducks until his season is over in Sweden.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

Friberg is a baller plain and simple, his determination is second to none, and the hockey sense is why he's always in position to score, goes to the net, has good hands, and he can easily grow a few more inches

Old
06-17-2012, 07:39 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

I imagined Friberg smaller, but he doesn`t look so small even with 6`1, 193 pound Cramarossa and 6`2, 190 pound Rakell.

Doubt he grows more, though.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

He's what, 19? He could still grow. I stopped growing around 21. Growing up, anyway.

Is the 4th guy in that pic one of ours, too?

Old
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

I think the 4th guy is Friberg. The one in the middle looks likeRyan Sheckler that skatboarder.

Old
06-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Takao
kesbae

Friberg, Cram, Sheckler, Rakell

Old
06-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
I think the 4th guy is Friberg. The one in the middle looks likeRyan Sheckler that skatboarder.
Yeah, I recognized Friberg. I meant the 4th guy as in the guy that Kalvinators didn't identify. I was waiting to see if he was one of our posters here before calling him an obvious doosh.

Old
06-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

No that was me in the picture

Anyway, also Karlsson appears to be in Cali now. He`s also on twitter @WKarlsson71
The prospects are tweeting pretty often about their golf and tennis games

Old
06-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Carelton CA

Everyone should be rolling in early next week, camp starts on June 27th. When do they usually publish the conditioning camp roster and the schedule?

Old
06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

I'd like to know if there are any practices open to the public. Please post if you have any info.

Old
06-19-2012, 09:20 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
I'd like to know if there are any practices open to the public. Please post if you have any info.
I know the rookie scrimmages used to be open...if they even still do that.

I'd love to get an early look at Vatanen.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

http://video.ducks.nhl.com/videocent...ed-share-video

Closed Thread