05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...or_nhl_duties/

Boy did those prospect grades spike up.
So, DSP spends a year in the NHL (minus WJC and injury) and is no better than #5 prospect? Uh, OK.

My favorite part of the write up was this about DSP..."Coach Bruce Boudreau said he showed considerably more offensive potential than the Ducks generally expected and generally demonstrated the qualities of a winning player"

I'm convinced this kid can score 20 goals and 50 points on the right line as well as be a physical presence on every shift. Here's hoping BB follows through on the statement above by giving him a solid chance with either the top line or with Ryan and Bonino or whoever else at center.

Old
05-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I think DSP's ranking has to do with his projected ceiling, which at the moment is complementary top six, or 3rd line forward. If he does end up having a greater impact offensively, he'll move up, but that isn't the safe bet.

Old
05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I think DSP's ranking has to do with his projected ceiling, which at the moment is complementary top six, or 3rd line forward. If he does end up having a greater impact offensively, he'll move up, but that isn't the safe bet.
I have no doubt you are right about the rational behind the ranking. As long as they haven't been asked to produce at the highest level, we can project hall of fame status on any or all of them. But then that's why I don't put a lot of faith in those rankings.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:17 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
He won't move up unless somehow he plays like...only 20 or so games and they're all on the top line.

He's 40 some games into his career. There is a prospect cut off limit on GP.

Old
05-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I have no doubt you are right about the rational behind the ranking. As long as they haven't been asked to produce at the highest level, we can project hall of fame status on any or all of them. But then that's why I don't put a lot of faith in those rankings.
Pretty much. Most prospects don't pan out as expected anyway.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Hockey Duckie

The 2011 draft was very good to us. The three Swedes bookend with Gibson and Welinski.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Pretty much. Most prospects don't pan out as expected anyway.
While this is true, IMO people on this board take it to heart greatly. We might be top ranked on HF, yet I don't think anyone on here is really optimistic about almost any of our prospects. Kind of weird.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeyton View Post
While this is true, IMO people on this board take it to heart greatly. We might be top ranked on HF, yet I don't think anyone on here is really optimistic about almost any of our prospects. Kind of weird.
How so? Holland is the only one that I've seen a conspicuous amount of pessimism directed at.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
How so? Holland is the only one that I've seen a conspicuous amount of pessimism directed at.
He moreso than others, and maybe pessimism wasn't the right word, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of optimism amongst the others. Etem's a good example of this, no one wants to get overly optimistic about his amazing season, and rarely do you hear on this board about his potential to be a dynamic core player. There isn't a ton of optimism over Palmieri, either, despite his great season, and Bonino definitely gets overlooked a lot. Clark's another guy no one seems to pencil in anymore for the future. Gibson's the best goalie in the CHL, Bobkov is good too, yet some people wouldn't be opposed to us grabbing a goalie in the draft. Then, of course, there's Holland, who has done nothing but play well and meet expectations, yet everyone figures he'll bust hard.

Not a big deal or anything, but just funny to note. If this was the Leafs, the prospect boards would be flooded with countless proposals involving some of these guys and elite players. And, while yes, not all prospects pan out, Palmieri, Holland, Bonino, Etem and DSP have given all indications that they will, we could have an amazing future line-up. Hell, just imagine if we could net Galchenyuk, and potentially ice this top-9 some day:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Friberg-Galchenyuk-Etem
DSP-Holland-Palmieri

With guys like Bonino, Beleskey, McMillan, O'Marra and others filling out the fourth line, and guys like Fowler, Sbisa, Vatanen, Clark and maybe even Schultz on D, with Gibson in net. Obviously won't happen, but wow, just imagine the possibilities.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Exit Dose

The source of the argument with Etem wasn't that people didn't think that he's a star in the making, but that a few people were expecting him to immediately jump into the top six on the basis of those numbers in Juniors. Somehow that all got misinterpreted as people expecting him to bust.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
The 2011 draft was very good to us. The three Swedes bookend with Gibson and Welinski.
Yeah, our last three drafts have been fantastic. Hope we continue the trend this year

Palmieri, Holland, Vatanen, Bobkov, Fowler, Etem, Smith Pelly, Wagner, Gibson, Rakell, Karlsson, Friberg, Welinski

+
Forsberg, Kerdiles, Stepan, Gusev, Altschuller?

But if all of those '11 guys pan out, it might be our best overall haul.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Exit Dose

Tell me about Kerdiles and Stepan.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:18 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Tell me about Kerdiles and Stepan.
Well Kerdiles is a pretty talented forward from Irvine. Not necessarily the only reason I like him, I got a chance to watch him during the U-18 and he's got skills. He's expected to go anywhere from 20-45.

Stepan is Derek's cousin I believe. I haven't gotten the chance to watch him, but from what I've read in the scouting reports, his upside is worth the third round pick maybe even a late second selection. Can't remember all the traits he displayed in the scouting reports, but his game sounds a lot like Friberg's but Stepan apparently has higher upside.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:20 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Gibson should be rated higher overall I feel our top 15 prospects are all very interesting with some big wild cards(Wagner, Welinski, Karlsson)

Old
05-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I think there has been plenty of excitement over our prospect pool. You seem to be generalizing quite a bit, and I can't help but wonder if you're reacting to a vocal minority, and not actually the larger group that seems quietly optimistic about Anaheim's prospects. I think most people here are content to wait and see what happens.

Where are you getting the impression that everyone thinks Holland will bust, or that Clark isn't being considered for the future, or that there isn't excitement regarding Palmieri, Bonino, or Etem? That hasn't been my observation at all. I think it's quite the opposite, just that many are being cautious about pencilling players in to important roles before they have proven they are ready. Keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago when Murray did exactly that with Sbisa, and that ended up being messy. We've also got Fowler, who is being asked to do more than he's ready for, and again, it's showing on the ice.

I think this is an example of a learned lesson still stinging, and the fans want to work the players in more slowly, so we don't repeat past mistakes. That's just my personal take. I'm plenty excited about our prospects. It's just that, when talking about next season's roster, I'm not going to start filling every available hole with a rookie before training camp has even begun.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I`m completely with Sojourn.

Should add that we have seen live examples (Toronto fans) how stupid it looks when everyone in your prospect pool is considered next Crosby among the fans.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
I think there has been plenty of excitement over our prospect pool. You seem to be generalizing quite a bit, and I can't help but wonder if you're reacting to a vocal minority, and not actually the larger group that seems quietly optimistic about Anaheim's prospects. I think most people here are content to wait and see what happens.

Where are you getting the impression that everyone thinks Holland will bust, or that Clark isn't being considered for the future, or that there isn't excitement regarding Palmieri, Bonino, or Etem? That hasn't been my observation at all. I think it's quite the opposite, just that many are being cautious about pencilling players in to important roles before they have proven they are ready. Keep in mind that it wasn't that long ago when Murray did exactly that with Sbisa, and that ended up being messy. We've also got Fowler, who is being asked to do more than he's ready for, and again, it's showing on the ice.

I think this is an example of a learned lesson still stinging, and the fans want to work the players in more slowly, so we don't repeat past mistakes. That's just my personal take. I'm plenty excited about our prospects. It's just that, when talking about next season's roster, I'm not going to start filling every available hole with a rookie before training camp has even begun.
Maybe I'm quite a bit off, and it's not a bad thing, but really, haven't seen many get overly excited about some of our prospects. It's just funny, is all. The Etem thread on the main board is a pretty good example of this. You could argue fans of other teams were getting as excited, if not more, about his potential than Ducks fans. For the most part, Ducks fans were excited to see how they'd do in camp next year, or how awesome it is to have a guy who can score EN goals, and a great deal of the posts calling him an absolute steal and an amazing prospect came from other fans. You don't see that too often.

Also, part of it probably is a lack of hype, or maybe a perceived lack of hype, about him. You're probably more likely to hear about how he's the local boy than his actual potential, and I suspect most slot his potential as a good second liner. Realistically, his potential's through the roof. He's fast as the wind and strong as a bull, with an amazing shot and even better work ethic. I don't think hockey sense is a big issue, either. When you're a goal scorer on that level, a lot of it's knowing where to be, and you see a good deal of that with Etem, although you obviously see a lot of him just burning guys as well. He was also a very good PKer, and while his speeds a big part of that, a team isn't going to just put him out there if he's dumb but fast, not in juniors. It's quite hard, if not impossible, to tell, but IMO his hockey sense will be fine and he has a very good chance at becoming a very good to elite winger.

Old
05-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Maybe I'm quite a bit off, and it's not a bad thing, but really, haven't seen many get overly excited about some of our prospects. It's just funny, is all. The Etem thread on the main board is a pretty good example of this. You could argue fans of other teams were getting as excited, if not more, about his potential than Ducks fans. For the most part, Ducks fans were excited to see how they'd do in camp next year, or how awesome it is to have a guy who can score EN goals, and a great deal of the posts calling him an absolute steal and an amazing prospect came from other fans. You don't see that too often.

Also, part of it probably is a lack of hype, or maybe a perceived lack of hype, about him. You're probably more likely to hear about how he's the local boy than his actual potential, and I suspect most slot his potential as a good second liner. Realistically, his potential's through the roof. He's fast as the wind and strong as a bull, with an amazing shot and even better work ethic. I don't think hockey sense is a big issue, either. When you're a goal scorer on that level, a lot of it's knowing where to be, and you see a good deal of that with Etem, although you obviously see a lot of him just burning guys as well. He was also a very good PKer, and while his speeds a big part of that, a team isn't going to just put him out there if he's dumb but fast, not in juniors. It's quite hard, if not impossible, to tell, but IMO his hockey sense will be fine and he has a very good chance at becoming a very good to elite winger.
Mind=Blown

And also i wouldn`t take other teams fans as an ''experts''.

Sure Etem have a lot of potential, but being safe in predictions isn`t a bad thing after all. Not like anyone says he`s a bust or anything. I`m really happy we got him, but i will wait until i see what he can do, because, he did got a lot of goals in juniors with being physically more mature. So for now, i`ll just wait what he can do.

And in team-propect ranks Ottawa will be clearly #1 imo.

Old
05-03-2012, 07:30 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Hell, just imagine if we could net Galchenyuk, and potentially ice this top-9 some day:

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Friberg-Galchenyuk-Etem
DSP-Holland-Palmieri

With guys like Bonino, Beleskey, McMillan, O'Marra and others filling out the fourth line, and guys like Fowler, Sbisa, Vatanen, Clark and maybe even Schultz on D, with Gibson in net. Obviously won't happen, but wow, just imagine the possibilities.
You forgot the person I consider one of our top prospects, Rickard Rakell. Those glimpses I saw of his elegant hockey style while still being a two-way player during the WJC, made me believe he could be a future 2nd line star-center/winger. Seems to possess style, skills and size.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Mind=Blown

Sure Etem have a lot of potential, but being safe in predictions isn`t a bad thing after all. Not like anyone says he`s a bust or anything. I`m really happy we got him, but i will wait until i see what he can do, because, he did got a lot of goals in juniors with being physically more mature. So for now, i`ll just wait what he can do.

Florida has a deep pool, it'll be between those two.

Ducks in the 5-10 range I'd guess, we'll see before too long ...

05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Like Soujourn said, I think you're generalizing. Different people are high and low on different prospects.

Take me for instance. I'm pretty vocal in not liking Holland. And in not being completely enamored in Schultz. I don't believe DSP has as much offensive upside as many think. OTH I was quite high on Sbisa at the time, Palmieri, Vatanen and Gibson now, and Etem's eventual upside (he's the only first pairing/line potential guy). Yet I have had lots of discussions with people who a) liked my dislikes and b) dislike my likes.

If you average it out it seems like there is a lot of criticism because every prospect is criticized. But really it's mostly just a few, different people who dislike each one.

The Ducks also do not have much in terms of star potential. Only Etem and possibly Vatanen IMO. But this prospect group is pretty strong in terms of depth. There's a good 8-9 guys that I could see as solid contributors. That's like double what we've had in years past. You have the Pronger trade and the trade-downs to thank for this, where we have collected a lot of mid 1st-mid 2nd round picks.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

This board seems to have a wait and see approach when it comes to prospects, not many people predict all out busts and not many predict any prospects to be world beaters. I think that's a great approach to have with prospects and sports in general. No one wants to be like Toronto and have all our fans proclaiming our prospects being world beaters before they prove a damn thing.

I'm all for predictions when you've followed a prospect and have a good amount of knowledge on them. For instance, I was very high on Fowler and was a huge proponent of his, I saw something that made me think he's a can't miss star player. I feel the same way about Vatanen, I feel he just has that special something that is going to make him a star offensive defender in this league. However, predicting players are going to be stars or offensive dynamos, just because their stats in lesser leagues are impressive, doesn't make much sense.

Old
05-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Mind=Blown

Not taking them as experts, and really, I say that because a lot of people think he scores because he's faster and now stronger than everyone, but a lot of it is his positioning and instincts. Tough to be too hard on his hockey sense when he does that, and also is a great PKer.

And does anyone read posts thoroughly? I said multiple times it's not a bad thing, I just find it funny. This is one of few boards that is like this.

Old
05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Not taking them as experts, and really, I say that because a lot of people think he scores because he's faster and now stronger than everyone, but a lot of it is his positioning and instincts. Tough to be too hard on his hockey sense when he does that, and also is a great PKer.

And does anyone read posts thoroughly? I said multiple times it's not a bad thing, I just find it funny. This is one of few boards that is like this.
Of the 60 goals he scored, the majority were from him blowing by defensemen and getting in close to the goalie. There were very few Selanne type goals where he relied on insticts and was in the right place at the right time, maybe half a dozen at the most.

I don't think he will bust completely. But I do think his hockey sense will hold him back from being a dominant first liner. I think it's pretty safe to say that he'll be spending at least some time in the AHL next season.

Closed Thread