HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Someone wants to fight me

Old
03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

vCash: 500
Someone wants to fight me

Last week I was playing in a tight game against one of the better teams in my town. We were tied 7-7 with 1 and half minutes to go. There best player was in our zone about to take the shot when I hit him cleanly and he fell down pretty easy. I picked up the puck and a little after and he got pretty pissed off and tried to tackle me from behind but I fought him off, dangled there D-man and scored which turned out to be the GWG. Shortly after we scored a empty netter and right after that there best player came right to me screaming homophobic stuuf and calling me gay, he thought that my hit was dirty even he did the same thing he does to everyone else. I told him to cry to someone who gives two ***** and play the game. We won seconds after. By the way he is stronger then I am and would probably beat me up. Yesterday we played them again, before the game he called me ******** and that if I hit him he would kill me. Early in the game I hit him to konck him off the puck. A little later I had the puck he rammed me into the boards and then put his stick around my neck for about 2 seconds. I may be exaggerating or just plained bias but I was convinced that he did that on purpose. I got out of it by tripping him up with my skates and then he dropped his stick and he wanted to fight me, I got up and just stood there not knowing what to do. I was certain that I was not going to fight because I am the top scorer in the league and the team captain and I never cared for what went down last weekend. I got called for a tripping call, which was justified but he got nothing. Later I lined up with one of his teammates and he told me I was scared ****less of there better player. I brushed him off and we managed to win 11-3 and I got 3 goals and there best player got a penalty from hitting me from after the whistle (interference). Even if I fought him earlier in the game (We were winning 1-0) we still probably would have one. On the plus side we won and I am neither suspended nor got thrown out of the game. On the negative side I get the label of sissy and pseudo tough guy and I will get a bunch of **** for it. Did I do the right thing? How do I deal with the negatives? Anyone else have anything close to what I have had and lend me some advice?

p.s- The opponents coach told me if there player tried to hurt me he would get taken out. I am 15 and I have played rep but this season I was cut and put into house. I am 100% certain I will try out next season and will that affect me with my future rep teammates if I make it? And that kid always played house.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If fighting's allowed in your league and you're a top scorer, shouldn't someone else be fighting for you?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If fighting's allowed in your league and you're a top scorer, shouldn't someone else be fighting for you?
It's not allowed and it makes me look bad if I let someone fight me.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:26 PM
O2

If he has beef with you because he's a hater, then don't bother with a scrub like him. Let him know this.

If he continues harassing you after you've let him know he's not on your level, it's time to roll up the sleeves and start slapping brohemoth.

Don't take it outside the rink though, that's just weak and unmanly.

O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:30 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2 View Post
If he has beef with you because he's a hater, then don't bother with a scrub like him. Let him know this.

If he continues harassing you after you've let him know he's not on your level, it's time to roll up the sleeves and start slapping brohemoth.

Don't take it outside the rink though, that's just weak and unmanly.
A) He is physically stronger
B) I am not risking suspension becaue he **** the bed for his team

Old
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
This sounds about right. On our team, a U-18 team in Sweden, some of the top the top players also fight for their own, so I don't know. Pick your fights though and dont go in to an uneven matchup.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:33 PM
O2

Then this seems easy, don't bother. If you feel the need to see him hurt, get a bud to fight him!

O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

My main question was that I am going to get chirped and trash talked because of this for a long while and I do not know how to handle it when it comes to this situation

Old
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
sanityplease

You don't have to fight bigger guys, especially if they're targeting you because you're the best player.

If you're a small guy, your teammates should be backing you up a bit here.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:45 PM
r3cc0s

you don't have to fight... and honestly, if the ref doesn't call it... its not a dirty play

Many players in the show do this for a living effectively

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
It's not allowed and it makes me look bad if I let someone fight me.
the guy who wanted to fight just might be a bully. you don't have to fight him, but you do need to let him know you are not going to be a punching bag.

in a situation like that, and if the game is not close (not 1-0 for example), i don't see any problem talking back to him when he drops his stick. maybe even roughing or pushing him backwards so he falls on his ass. just make sure he sees it coming, and no cheap shots that can actually injure. i've done that before, and if he is bigger and is getting handsy, you can crosscheck him in chest.

you might get 2 minutes, maybe even 10 if it escalates, but if he is taking you off your game, you gotta do whatever is needed to put an end to it.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
mbowman

Quote:
My main question was that I am going to get chirped and trash talked because of this for a long while and I do not know how to handle it when it comes to this situation
if you're the top scorer in a league that doesn't allow fighting, then why on earth would you even consider fighting him, especially if he's a scrub? You'd get suspended, and that would hurt your team.

if he's being a dbag and trying to provoke you, tell him to ******* off, and go score a goal. beat him on the scoresheet, rather than through dirty play, because in the end, thats all that matters

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Exactly. He's not worth it. Light up the team the more trash he talks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Hit him again.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:37 PM
hyster110

and say if you cant deal, go play womens hockey, otherwise grow a sack and play

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've found in my years of playing hockey the guys who talk about fighting usually can't fight. It's like a scare tactic, after games they'll talk about "I was going to fight this guy or I almost took that guy out" yet you'll never hear them say " I fought that guy or I took that guy out". They're scared. A key to being a good fighter is wanting to fight so if you have no interest then your best bet is to stick to scoring goals and beating his team. If you don't want to fight or think the guy will kick the crap out of you then don't fight.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
You don't have to fight bigger guys, especially if they're targeting you because you're the best player.

If you're a small guy, your teammates should be backing you up a bit here.

That is what I do not get. His team mates not backing him up. We are not getting the entire picture here. When I played, fighting was allowed. So big or small you had to show up. But if you are a little guy or someone who does not like to fight, you should be protected by your mates. I was not a fighter per say. But in the heat of the moment I would just snap.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Stickmata

My advice is less hockey, more grammar lessons.

On the fighting thing, please, this is simple. It's an in-house, no fighting league. Just ignore it and/or just chirp back. If it extends off the ice, report it to the league and let them handle it. This kind of chatter goes on at every level above Mites. If you can't get used to dealing with it, hockey may not be the sport for you.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Dude. It's house league. I switched to house to fight and rough it up with the goons more often, in my minor hockey days, once I realized I wasn't going anywhere.

I probably would have fought him immediately if he put his stick anywhere near my neck/head though, that's unacceptable. I was a bigger kid and wasn't the best player on my team though, so I guess I can see where your coming from. Given your status on the team I'm very surprised none of your teamates stood up for you. My best friend was the best player and captain on my team and I jumped kids for doing much less than that to him.

Now that I type that out and consider it as an adult, I was a greasy hockey player lol. Would say goon but was always one of the best 5 players on the team.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
johnjm22

When someone tries to fight you, just laugh and brush them off nonchalantly. It's the alpha thing to do. Don't lower yourself to their level.

Besides, anyone that's willing to get into a fight over a rec league game is an idiot anyways. I'm just out there trying to have to fun and help my team win.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:45 PM
radbear

I'm a goalie...so I see everything.
I'm a little put off that someone from your team didn't start to mess with this guy.
In my experience:
I'll say something to a guy if I've seen him systematically make dirty plays or run at my teammates. I've always found I play better mad, but that's me.
The best comeback is always "Check out the scoreboard.." but unfortunately, it only works if you are winning.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
If you can walk away..do it. ...the power shifts back to you. If you can wait, do so...then dish it out when you are ready..on your own terms.I'm not saying 'sucker him'...but pick your opportunities.
Also, a good ref will notice the idiots. If you have a bad ref...you have to protect yourself. I'm never mad when one of my defencemen takes a penalty and puts us down a guy if it's deserving...just as my guys never get mad at me if I take one for smoking a guy in my crease. There's a code.

In the Playoffs, guys try and get in my kitchen all the time, trying to throw me off my game. I don't react and it makes me focus even more.But I remember...
I don't want to bite and then get tossed and hurt my team.
When the game is good and won...then it's my time to decide. 90% of the time...I don't even bother. 90% of the knobs that try to get to you are dumb crap players . The best revenge is outplaying them and outsmarting them.
But,,,I say again.....if someone on your team doesn't jump in immediately after someone 'goons' you......YOU ARE ON THE WRONG TEAM.

radbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:09 PM
650X2

the best way to not get chirped is to seriously not even acknowledge them.

When they start chirping you don't even look at them just look up ice or look at the puck if it is face off. Act like your are to involved in the game to even bother with them. They will get the picture, and if they dont the will go to the next level and take a penalty. Win - Win.

That said if you can't handle chirping you better not be chirping. Playing good and hard is fine, just dont chirp if you cant handle it.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
ponder

If you're small, don't know how to fight, and don't want to fight, then don't fight. At higher levels most guys seem to at least know how to defend themselves decently in a fight, but it's not a universal rule, in games I've played in I've seen guys lose teeth, break their orbital bones, break their nose and break their hand in hockey fights. If you don't know what you're doing, and the other guy does know what he's doing, you'll likely just get your ass kicked. It's house league, there shouldn't be much in the way of fighting anyways. If you do have to fight, make sure you know how to protect yourself.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

To those saying it was a scare tactic and that he is a pseudo tough guy, the guy is a beast. Sorry for the poor grammar too.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Last week I was playing in a tight game against one of the better teams in my town. We were tied 7-7 with 1 and half minutes to go. There best player was in our zone about to take the shot when I hit him cleanly and he fell down pretty easy. I picked up the puck and a little after and he got pretty pissed off and tried to tackle me from behind but I fought him off, dangled there D-man and scored which turned out to be the GWG................ Yesterday we played them again, before the game he called me ******** and that if I hit him he would kill me. Early in the game I hit him to konck him off the puck. A little later ................... Later I lined up with one of his teammates and he told me I was scared ****less of there better player. I brushed him off and we managed to win 11-3 and I got 3 goals and there best player got a penalty from hitting me from after the whistle (interference). Even if I fought him earlier in the game (We were winning 1-0) we still probably would have one. On the plus side we won and I am neither suspended nor got thrown out of the game. On the negative side I get the label of sissy and pseudo tough guy and I will get a bunch of **** for it. Did I do the right thing? How do I deal with the negatives? Anyone else have anything close to what I have had and lend me some advice?

I am 15 and I have played rep but this season I was cut and put into house. I am 100% certain I will try out next season and will that affect me with my future rep teammates if I make it? And that kid always played house.
Is body contact/hitting even allowed in your "house league"?

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote