HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville @ Phoenix 9:00 - K Bros Hit the Desert

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
  #301
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Him sitting out would not have made him play any differently. He plays hard everytime i watch him. (which is every game). He probably sat out for rest issues not to be "benched".
Sure sitting out for a rest is needed but the belief he needs to ride the pine because he sucks and others like Spaling and Halischuk are better according to some preds fans is simply humiliating for others in the fan base.
what??

what is humiliating about being benched occasionally? hes a pro athlete, and a rookie at that, playing with players who have been doing this a lot longer than he has...

do you really think this is tee ball and everyone should be guaranteed their playing time and get a trophy just for participation?

please tell me if you are something special like a Preds coach or a Smith family member and not just some random fan like the rest of us because no random fan can judge whether a player is benched for 'rest" vs for issues related to his play unless the coach says so in the media...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
  #302
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Ok. But I think our coaching stuff needs to start to work on Detriot match up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I think the Predators coaching staff needs to start work on the Predators.
Haha, touche.

We might've won last night, but that game was gross. So, so sloppy...and it only got worse in OT. I hope the guys realize that just because we're winning games doesn't mean they're playing well. The kind of play we saw last night won't fly in the playoffs. Get it together fellas!

AEM6729 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 12:23 PM
  #303
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
We are not great on paper! We are great in reality; that is why many fans of other teams love us. This team is fine and can handle anyone; you are extrapolating this game to the playoffs. We have played pretty darn well in the last 10; you cannot win nor dominate every single GD game. The expectations here are absurd.
Your putting words in my and others mouth. No one thinks they are going to dominate every game or at least I don't. I have seen a pattern of poor decisions with the puck and not playing with same level of passion defensively as offensively. I've seen this enough consistently to know to be concerned about it. Not acknowledging it is once again equivalent to closing your eyes and covering your eyes and screaming as loud as you can. I call it like I see it. You can view the team however you want but that's not going to stop me from viewing them logically and then expressing my opinions in a post.

predfan24 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
  #304
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Erat now tied for 52 in the league in scoring, 1 point out of the top 50.
He's earning that six million dollars.

predfan24 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
  #305
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
He's earning that six million dollars.
as long as he does it again next year when he makes 3mil and the year after that when he gets 2 mil, itll be a wash...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
  #306
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
what??

what is humiliating about being benched occasionally? hes a pro athlete, and a rookie at that, playing with players who have been doing this a lot longer than he has...

do you really think this is tee ball and everyone should be guaranteed their playing time and get a trophy just for participation?

please tell me if you are something special like a Preds coach or a Smith family member and not just some random fan like the rest of us because no random fan can judge whether a player is benched for 'rest" vs for issues related to his play unless the coach says so in the media...
Those same ?'s can be applied to you hoss. How do you know he was "benched"? Are you family or a member of the coaching staff?

Maybe you need to take a look into the difference between being "benched" and being out of the lineup for rest. Because it is two totally different things.
Common sense from watching the games would say it was more than likely for rest and to give others a chance to play.

Like i stated before i do not have a problem with him being out of the lineup for rest being it is his first year in the NHL. AGAIN what i do not agree with is people who think the kid just shows effort but rarely shows anything for it and should be benched and replaced by players with less production and skill.

VFL615* is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
  #307
PredsChik
Registered User
 
PredsChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smyrna, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Was Wilson out of the line up for rest? Hali?

We've got more good young guys than we've got roster spots for which at this point in the season is a good thing.

Smith is a true rookie that never played in the AHL or juniors and college hockey schedules are way different than the NHL. He had hit a slump in his production and he got sat and he'll probably be sat again before the season is over. I imagine Trotz will continue to rotate who plays to keep the younger guys both sharp and rested or until some magic combination is formed and he just can't break them up.

PredsChik is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
  #308
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Your putting words in my and others mouth. No one thinks they are going to dominate every game or at least I don't. I have seen a pattern of poor decisions with the puck and not playing with same level of passion defensively as offensively. I've seen this enough consistently to know to be concerned about it. Not acknowledging it is once again equivalent to closing your eyes and covering your eyes and screaming as loud as you can. I call it like I see it. You can view the team however you want but that's not going to stop me from viewing them logically and then expressing my opinions in a post.
Fair enough; I'm not calling you an idiot or flaming, just disagree. I will continue to do the same as your bolded statement.

Cashville is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
  #309
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Those same ?'s can be applied to you hoss. How do you know he was "benched"? Are you family or a member of the coaching staff?

Maybe you need to take a look into the difference between being "benched" and being out of the lineup for rest. Because it is two totally different things.
Common sense from watching the games would say it was more than likely for rest and to give others a chance to play.

Like i stated before i do not have a problem with him being out of the lineup for rest being it is his first year in the NHL. AGAIN what i do not agree with is people who think the kid just shows effort but rarely shows anything for it and should be benched and replaced by players with less production and skill.
you still havent told me by what magic you know when a player is scratched for "rest" versus "performance"... you say its "commom sense" but in fact short of a coach explaining why it happened there is no way to know if it was for rest, poor play, or just a motivational tool because trotz thinks he can do even better than he is doing....

to me, "the kid" hasnt shown anything that is so much better than the other players on the roster who are competing for playing time that he deserves a spot every night... he went 5 weeks between goals and had he not scored on the last game of the month would have had a gooseegg for the entire month of february.... certainly that sounds like a "kid" who needed a little kick in the pants to get motivated again, and it appears to have worked...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
  #310
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid View Post
Nothing like getting in from a five hour roadie top catch the 3rd period of a game. Saw the Smith goal and thought it was going to be puppies and flowers from then on only to see the boys turn up the suck knob. Two points is two points but Da-yum!
Tbh, I'm kinda surprised that got by the filters they have on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Not only do players play better after leaving the Habs, they start scoring in the shootout.
Do we even practice shootouts? Actually, scratch that.

Do we even practice?

AK went with a variation of his AHL move that used to be money in Hamilton. Far more likely to work than his ultra fancy move. But more staggering than AK scoring in the shootout, Cube scored on a rush in reality! Wonder when was the last time that happened? I imagine Gill sitting him down after the game and asking what it's like to be on a rush. Then when being told what it's like to score on one, his mind being totally blown.

Qui Gon Dave is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
  #311
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Tbh, I'm kinda surprised that got by the filters they have on here



Do we even practice shootouts? Actually, scratch that.

Do we even practice?

AK went with a variation of his AHL move that used to be money in Hamilton. Far more likely to work than his ultra fancy move. But more staggering than AK scoring in the shootout, Cube scored on a rush in reality! Wonder when was the last time that happened? I imagine Gill sitting him down after the game and asking what it's like to be on a rush. Then when being told what it's like to score on one, his mind being totally blown.
I think Pete and Terry said the last time Cube scored was over a year ago, and was also against Phoenix.
Cube has their number...

predfan98 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 03:13 PM
  #312
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Him sitting out would not have made him play any differently. He plays hard everytime i watch him. (which is every game). He probably sat out for rest issues not to be "benched".
Sure sitting out for a rest is needed but the belief he needs to ride the pine because he sucks and others like Spaling and Halischuk are better according to some preds fans is simply humiliating for others in the fan base.
He "may" play hard every game, but he does not play "smart" every game. His defense is mediocre, at best, and just like Wilson, he misses defensive assignments too often to skate the top minutes.

He clearly has more talent than Spaling - offensively - but not on faceoffs, not defensively, and I'd argue that we certainly need guys that fill that role, too. As for "scoring" - how does he compare to Hals again?

I like Smith, but he's not ready to "claim" a spot; he's got to earn it. If Leggy went into a scoring slump like this, or Klein had his defensive lapses, you and the others on the board would be yelling for their scalps. Sure - he's a rookie and they aren't - but that's the whole point - he's not quite "there" yet.

deanwormer is online now  
Old
03-13-2012, 04:22 PM
  #313
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
He "may" play hard every game, but he does not play "smart" every game. His defense is mediocre, at best, and just like Wilson, he misses defensive assignments too often to skate the top minutes.

He clearly has more talent than Spaling - offensively - but not on faceoffs, not defensively, and I'd argue that we certainly need guys that fill that role, too. As for "scoring" - how does he compare to Hals again?

I like Smith, but he's not ready to "claim" a spot; he's got to earn it. If Leggy went into a scoring slump like this, or Klein had his defensive lapses, you and the others on the board would be yelling for their scalps. Sure - he's a rookie and they aren't - but that's the whole point - he's not quite "there" yet.
Sure he plays like a rookie that would be expected. A lot of people on this team have tons of moments they do not play smart and no one wants them "benched". Example Tootoo, Klein, Peka, Legwand, and the list goes on. Klein is the only player i have wanted riding the pine

How do you know Spaling is better than Smith at faceoffs when you or me have not seen it? Smith has played 98% of his time as a winger?

What do you mean how does he compare to Hals in "scoring"? Smith has 13 goals and 20 assists that =33 points in his first season at the NHL/AHL level. Halischuk in his 4th year at the NHL level has 12 goals and 11 assists that =23 points.

That is with all the long slumps Smith has had. Halischuk and Spaling have been through the same slumps.

I agree he is not ready to be on the 1st line but it is simply silly and uneducated to say he needs to be "benched" for others i have mentioned.

VFL615* is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
  #314
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you still havent told me by what magic you know when a player is scratched for "rest" versus "performance"... you say its "commom sense" but in fact short of a coach explaining why it happened there is no way to know if it was for rest, poor play, or just a motivational tool because trotz thinks he can do even better than he is doing....

to me, "the kid" hasnt shown anything that is so much better than the other players on the roster who are competing for playing time that he deserves a spot every night... he went 5 weeks between goals and had he not scored on the last game of the month would have had a gooseegg for the entire month of february.... certainly that sounds like a "kid" who needed a little kick in the pants to get motivated again, and it appears to have worked...
I have not seen you come up with anything to back up your obvious poor choice of word in "benched". It is all speculation and i feel it was for rest. Anyway you are arguing about something i was not saying in the first place. So whatever.

Weber and Suter are playing like they need a kick in the rear to. Go ahead and bench them for a couple of games Trotz.

VFL615* is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 05:18 PM
  #315
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Sure he plays like a rookie that would be expected. A lot of people on this team have tons of moments they do not play smart and no one wants them "benched". Example Tootoo, Klein, Peka, Legwand, and the list goes on. Klein is the only player i have wanted riding the pine

How do you know Spaling is better than Smith at faceoffs when you or me have not seen it? Smith has played 98% of his time as a winger?

What do you mean how does he compare to Hals in "scoring"? Smith has 13 goals and 20 assists that =33 points in his first season at the NHL/AHL level. Halischuk in his 4th year at the NHL level has 12 goals and 11 assists that =23 points.

That is with all the long slumps Smith has had. Halischuk and Spaling have been through the same slumps.

I agree he is not ready to be on the 1st line but it is simply silly and uneducated to say he needs to be "benched" for others i have mentioned.
Spaling is at 51.6% on face offs, and has taken 772 face offs. Smith is at 44.8%, and has taken 346 face offs.

Personally, I would say since Smith has a dramatically lower win percentage with less than half the amount of face offs that Spaling has taken, Spaling is the better face off guy.

TMI is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
  #316
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Spaling is at 51.6% on face offs, and has taken 772 face offs. Smith is at 44.8%, and has taken 346 face offs.

Personally, I would say since Smith has a dramatically lower win percentage with less than half the amount of face offs that Spaling has taken, Spaling is the better face off guy.
Not sure when Smith has taken a faceoff lately. However with the numbers that you present i would find that it would be pretty easy for Smith to get to Spalings percentage or better with 442 more faceoffs considering it is a skill that is gained with chances

VFL615* is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
  #317
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I have not seen you come up with anything to back up your obvious poor choice of word in "benched". It is all speculation and i feel it was for rest. Anyway you are arguing about something i was not saying in the first place. So whatever.

Weber and Suter are playing like they need a kick in the rear to. Go ahead and bench them for a couple of games Trotz.
how is "benched" a poor choice of words? it doesn't matter if you call it "benched", "scratched" "sat" or whatever, the only thing that relevant is he was deliberately left out of the lineup.

for you to divine the reasoning behind his omission from the lineup seems presumptuous on your behalf.. so unless you can reference a coach who stated that smith was omitted from the lineup just so he could "rest" then your assertion that it was "common sense" actually is, well.. nonsense

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
  #318
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Not sure when Smith has taken a faceoff lately. However with the numbers that you present i would find that it would be pretty easy for Smith to get to Spalings percentage or better with 442 more faceoffs considering it is a skill that is gained with chances
does the term circular logic mean anything to you?

"Smith doesn't take many face-offs because he's not very good at them but he's not very good at them because he doesn't take many face-offs"

:boggle:

mind=blown

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM
  #319
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Not sure when Smith has taken a faceoff lately. However with the numbers that you present i would find that it would be pretty easy for Smith to get to Spalings percentage or better with 442 more faceoffs considering it is a skill that is gained with chances
To be fair, someone said that Spaling is better at faceoffs, and you seemed to be skeptical of that claim. IF Smith is given more chances he will likely improve, sure, but he hasn't been given more chances so he hasn't improved. Spaling is the better face off center right now. Smith might be better eventually, but as of right now he needs more practice (apparently we agree on that part).

The flip side to that is these guys have been playing this sport for their entire lives, and the center position for a good part of that time. I'm not really sure how much practicing face offs will help, but since Smith is an NHL rookie I'll assume he will improve.

TMI is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:47 AM
  #320
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Not sure when Smith has taken a faceoff lately. However with the numbers that you present i would find that it would be pretty easy for Smith to get to Spalings percentage or better with 442 more faceoffs considering it is a skill that is gained with chances
You want to argue Smith "shouldn't" sit, then when challenged with the statement of fact that Spals is better on the dot than Smith you wanna argue you're not sure when he's taken a faceoff? and that he "might" get better with more practice? Well, gee whiz - maybe we should let him take the defensive zone faceoffs against Det and see how he does?

When you say he's better than Hals and are asked how their scoring compares you say Smith has gotten more assists - forgetting that Hals has pretty much skated with guys like Smithson all year and Smith with the skill guys. They've scored basically the same number of goals, and Hals is without question a stronger defensive player - and that's the role of a 3rd or 4th liner - to chip in on O and be good on D. Oh, and Hals kills penalties, too. So, sure Smith sets up guys better than Hals - how much is that gonna' help if he's skating with Gausted and Bourque and Yip? Again, it's about roles and balancing the lines.

No one on the board is crazy enough to argue the Smith doesn't have better overall SKILL than Hals, Toots, etc. But, today - he is not the best player to contribute in the role that all of those folks are asked to play. If he'd quit doing the things rookies do - like forgetting their defensive assignments - his O might outweigh his D and faceoff deficiency. But he's not proved that yet, and he's likely - just like Colin did - to find himself sitting out much, if not all, of the POs if he can't show Trotz he can stop doing boneheaded things.

deanwormer is online now  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
  #321
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,153
vCash: 500
The thing that I noticed Smith messing up a lot before he sat was clearing the zone. Too often he'd put the puck up the boards which is the right move but not get it past the defenseman on the point or he'd throw a pass to the middle of the ice to no one in particular. This may be one of the reasons he was "sat".

Another thing is he's never played this many games in a season. Trotz is getting him used to the grueling schedule and probably wouldn't mind seeing him fresh for the playoffs as opposed to burnt out and not physically ready. The physical fatigue of an NHL season also plays into the mental aspect which is probably why he was making some mistakes out there. Sitting him for a few to regain his physical and mental game is probably a smart moe. While I don't always agree with what Trotz does, I think he's been handling his younger players better than he has in years past.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
  #322
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,190
vCash: 500
right now is not the time for practice. Right now is the time to be managing health and strength and making sure you are prepared for your opponent like it is the playoffs. It is not development time. It is go time.

token grinder is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 10:09 AM
  #323
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
how is "benched" a poor choice of words? it doesn't matter if you call it "benched", "scratched" "sat" or whatever, the only thing that relevant is he was deliberately left out of the lineup.

for you to divine the reasoning behind his omission from the lineup seems presumptuous on your behalf.. so unless you can reference a coach who stated that smith was omitted from the lineup just so he could "rest" then your assertion that it was "common sense" actually is, well.. nonsense
Because it is a poor choice of words with the context in which you were using it especially since you have no clue if it is truth. Throwing your speculation like it is gospel and then become abrasive when someone challenges you oh sir.

Actually it is my opinion. Just like your opinion of him being "benched" due to poor play is nonsense in my opinion. I enjoy your posts but you really do not have a point any further.

VFL615* is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
  #324
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
does the term circular logic mean anything to you?

"Smith doesn't take many face-offs because he's not very good at them but he's not very good at them because he doesn't take many face-offs"

:boggle:

mind=blown
You do not know why Smith doesn't take more faceoffs. It could be because the lineup fits better with him as a winger or because his defense is not up to par so it would be more logical to have him at a wing spot where the defensive responsibility is less. Fact is with the percentages he could have the same face off percentage as Spaling with the same amount of chances.

VFL615* is offline  
Old
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
  #325
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Because it is a poor choice of words with the context in which you were using it especially since you have no clue if it is truth. Throwing your speculation like it is gospel and then become abrasive when someone challenges you oh sir.

Actually it is my opinion just like your opinion of him being "benched" due to poor play is nonsense in my opinion. I enjoy your posts but you really do not have a point any further.
only someone with a chip on their shoulder would take my use of the word "benched" as perjorative.

I used the term benched as descriptive... you know, interchangable with "scratched"..

you are reading too much meaning into a word...

I'm just wondering why you are so protective of Smith??


Last edited by TMI: 03-14-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: unnecessary
PredsV82 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.