HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Most Over/Underrated players in the DUB!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2004, 02:33 PM
JoeHockey97

vCash: 500
Most Over/Underrated players in the DUB!!

Who do you think is the most Overrated and the most Underrated players in the WHL?

I'll Start

Overrated: Mark Fistric. Hes good Im just not convinced hes first round good

Underrated: Colton Yellowhorn: Point Machine, small but tough. Plays and intelligent game.

Old
11-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Avery4Byng*

Yeah Fistric does get alot of praise but I still am not sold on him.

Another guy who seems to be underrated is Tyler Spurgeon in Kelowna. Drafted 8th round by the Oilers last year he is leading the Rockets in scoring and doing so quietly.

Old
11-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHockey97

Underrated: Colton Yellowhorn: Point Machine, small but tough. Plays and intelligent game.
If this kid ever hit a growth spurt, there'd be about 30 NHL teams knocking on his door.

11-13-2004, 01:17 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

I think the same can be said about draft '05 eligible Rabbit.

Old
11-13-2004, 01:53 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Stefan Meyer

Old
11-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Jon Bubnick

Old
11-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

I take it you're nominating Stefan Meyer for the overrated category J17ster? I grew up playing with and against Meyer and he is a decent hockey player but I am not sold on his game translating to the NHL. He reminds me a LOT of Jarret Stoll, when he was in Kootenay. The offensive instincts are there and they both put up solid WHL numbers but the main knock on them is their "average" skating.

Stoll has improved his skating drastically since being drafted by the Oilers and I would imagine Meyer could do the same seeing as how his stride and style is solid and it is merely the speed factor.

To say Meyer is underrated would be wrong though...people behind the scenes and scouts of the WHL have been hyping him since his rookie year and the novelty is starting to wear off as his production follows IMO.

Colten Yellowhorn is a character to say the least. I had the privilege of covering the Lethbridge Hurricanes the past two years and Yellowhorn is quite the kid on and off the ice. Call it cockiness and a poor attitude or confidence in his own ability...at this time last year I would have nominated him in the UNDER-rated category just behind teammate Kris Versteeg but a lot of Yellowhorn's goals/points this year are the product of a strong supporting cast on an offensive-minded Hurricanes squad which makes me wonder if he shouldn't be sliding towards the OVER-rated side of things.

UNDER-rated = Michal Gulasi, second-year defenseman with the Lethbridge Hurricanes and one of my favourites...physical, defensively responsible with decent offensive potential...being looked past only because of size.

OVER-rated = I'll get back to you on that one. Not too many over-rated Hurricanes or Rebels (two teams I see the most of). As the year progresses and the hype builds around certain players I will throw down some input as to who I feel is over-rated.

Old
11-13-2004, 10:40 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle

OVER-rated = I'll get back to you on that one. Not too many over-rated Hurricanes or Rebels (two teams I see the most of). As the year progresses and the hype builds around certain players I will throw down some input as to who I feel is over-rated.

Add Seabrook to the over-rated side. Chicago is the only team that wanted this guy in the first round. Everyone else was thinking second or third round. He's also not that well liked on the team along with Versteeg.

I taught Wacey Rabbit (Wells) in grade 7 when he lived in Lethbridge a few years back and he was a great kid and a great athlete then.

Old
11-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

"loudi94" I find it hard to believe Seabs is not well liked in the room. He is fairly quiet even off the ice and all the other guys seem to look up to him especially the younger defenseman.
I had the opportunity to interview Brent for the centerspread story in the Zone magazine (game-day program) that came out after Christmas last year and he was a consummate professional and really genuine.
I doubt Chicago was only team thinking first round material when it came to Seabrook. Yes he went at 14 which seemed quite early even to me but a team like Boston probably would have taken him over Mark Stuart in the early 20s.
That draft year was really deep in defensemen (Coburn/Suter/Phaneuf) otherwise Seabs probably would have been picked higher by a team in need of a not spectacular but solid and consistent blueliner...ala Atlanta's choice of Boris Valabik this year over highly touted offensive players.
Seabs is a can't miss prospect and far from being OVER-rated.

Kris is another story. I like his game alot although it probably seems selfish at times. He wasn't ranked by Central Scouting prior to the draft but I have a hunch Boston stole him in the fourth round.
I've met Kris in a number of situations and he seems like a decent kid...his grandpa works the graveyard security shift at LCC and his little brother played Midget 15s last year and both of them are also good guys.
It is hard for Kris not to come across as cocky, even to his teammates, because he is a local kid who has enjoyed huge success at every level. The maturity factor will play itself out with age and experiences on and off the ice. I wouldn't call Kris a locker-room cancer by any means and he is anything but OVER-rated.

The only thing we do agree on is Wacey Rabbit and his god-given talents. After posting big rookie numbers Rabbit along with his entire team suffered last year only winning six games. They are for real this year and everyone is on the same page in Stoon. Wacey's development is back on track and I have been rather impressed with his overall game in the two times I watched him live this year.

I would be all ears if you could back up your statement that Seabs and the Steegmeister are unpopular amongst their teammates and coaching staff. Please do elaborate...

Old
11-13-2004, 11:46 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I never mentioned the coaching staff, but I had a few conversations with Andy T. before he was dealt and a player on the current roster. They talked about a set of rules for the team and another for Seabrook. He was able to get away with things that others would be punished for and it rubbed some the wrong way. Combine that with the big head some drafted kids get, the no-show after the WJC and you've got some animosity. I notice this year he seems to have stepped it up physically which I like. Versteeg's problems are the same that you mention. He should mature but I don't see him doing too much outside of the Dub.

There are a couple of Lethbridge boys drafted last year that'll be playing in the Dub in the next year or two that I hope will make good. Good kids, too bad they'll be on other teams. I won't name them as they search their names on the internet some times and I don't want them to link to this thread.

Old
11-14-2004, 08:05 AM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
Yeah Fistric does get alot of praise but I still am not sold on him.

Another guy who seems to be underrated is Tyler Spurgeon in Kelowna. Drafted 8th round by the Oilers last year he is leading the Rockets in scoring and doing so quietly.
IMO the Stars drafting Fistric in the first round is a total waste, this guy is a average skater and isn't big enough to be real tough.

Spurgeon will be the captain of the Rockets next year and behind Moisenko the second hardest working player in the league. The only knock against Spurgeon is that he is a average skater.

Old
11-14-2004, 10:44 AM
MikeS

Over: Marek Schwarz

Billed as the "second coming" and in the couple games I have seen him he looked over anxious, over-reacting to shots two feet wide of the net. Seemed to take some time settling in but then made some spectacular saves. He's young, will develop, but for now, a bit overrated...

Old
11-14-2004, 09:41 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

"loudi94" Truth be told if there was one player generally disliked in the Hurricanes room over the last year and a bit it was Andy Thompson prior to the trade. Thompson saw the game through an entirely different set of eyes and often ragged on teammates for mistakes he made consistently. When the Hurricanes "needed" to take a dumb penalty they had to look no further than Thompson. I would SUSPECT his attitude and immaturity were solely responsible for the Giants shipping him this season. Personally I would nominate Thompson as being closer to OVER-rated than Seabrook.

You do make a very valid point though. The multiple sets of rules definitely exist and likely applied to Seabrook, Koopmans and Versteeg last year. I think the "rules" were partially responsible for Lammers brief dissapearence. Look to the year before for a true example of Canes "rules", Jeremy Jackson could be found at the bar on a regular basis game night or not. Derek Parker was usually not far behind but at least Parks was funny.

Old
11-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Greg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Over: Marek Schwarz

Billed as the "second coming" and in the couple games I have seen him he looked over anxious, over-reacting to shots two feet wide of the net. Seemed to take some time settling in but then made some spectacular saves. He's young, will develop, but for now, a bit overrated...
I have to disagree with you there. He's not a bit overrated, he's VERY overrated! To be fair, he has been disgustingly overplayed by Hay (just finished playing all 3 games in 3 nights, and has started every game but 1). Hopefully he's tired, or still adjusting, or something, because he's been unimpressive so far. You're right though, he has had positioning problems and goes down too much, but is also capable of making amazing saves.

Old
11-14-2004, 10:51 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

[QUOTE=salostyle]"loudi94" Truth be told if there was one player generally disliked in the Hurricanes room over the last year and a bit it was Andy Thompson prior to the trade. Thompson saw the game through an entirely different set of eyes and often ragged on teammates for mistakes he made consistently. When the Hurricanes "needed" to take a dumb penalty they had to look no further than Thompson. I would SUSPECT his attitude and immaturity were solely responsible for the Giants shipping him this season. Personally I would nominate Thompson as being closer to OVER-rated than Seabrook.
QUOTE]

That's something that I did not get to see. I only saw the quiet guy who barely said two words. The two boys that came from Vancouver at the end of last season in the deal involving A.T. are pretty good character guys. Of course a winning team has less of these problems than a perennial loser like the Canes have been.
The current coach does seem to have his poop in a group and it has impacted the team as a whole. I heard rumblings Koopmans wanted to come back, but at this point I don't think there's room for him as Sorochan has started making the saves he needs to make..

Old
11-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
I take it you're nominating Stefan Meyer for the overrated category J17ster? I grew up playing with and against Meyer and he is a decent hockey player but I am not sold on his game translating to the NHL. He reminds me a LOT of Jarret Stoll, when he was in Kootenay. The offensive instincts are there and they both put up solid WHL numbers but the main knock on them is their "average" skating.

Stoll has improved his skating drastically since being drafted by the Oilers and I would imagine Meyer could do the same seeing as how his stride and style is solid and it is merely the speed factor.

To say Meyer is underrated would be wrong though...people behind the scenes and scouts of the WHL have been hyping him since his rookie year and the novelty is starting to wear off as his production follows IMO.
In your opinion Salostyle, was Stefan better when he regularly played the wing position for M.H. or is he better off how he is now playing center?? Besides the speed issue, the other knock/question mark on him from draft day was his playmaking ability (finishing was always supposed to be his forte)....it seems to me hes improved in the playmaking department since the day they moved him to the center position. What are your thoughts?

Old
11-14-2004, 11:18 PM
JoeHockey97

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
I heard rumblings Koopmans wanted to come back, but at this point I don't think there's room for him as Sorochan has started making the saves he needs to make..
I heard the same thing. Sorochan is a cool guy but I could bet solid money that he would be riding the pine if Koops came back.

As far as the rest of the canes talk. Versteeg is a pretty decent guy, I see him, Pess, Lammers and Yellowhorn together all the time. That whole team gels together and I dont think that any of them dislike one another to the point that it really affects team chemistry. Thompson was a nice kid too but he had a lot of mental health issues.. it had a lot to do with why he left Kootenay and he got crapped on by fans in Lethbridge. I often saw him alone but I dont think it was because the rest of the team didnt like him... Im gonna start a Canes thread on here so we can talk about that stuff there and OVER-RATED/ UNDER RATED here.

Old
11-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Orv

Quote:
"loudi94" Truth be told if there was one player generally disliked in the Hurricanes room over the last year and a bit it was Andy Thompson prior to the trade. Thompson saw the game through an entirely different set of eyes and often ragged on teammates for mistakes he made consistently. When the Hurricanes "needed" to take a dumb penalty they had to look no further than Thompson. I would SUSPECT his attitude and immaturity were solely responsible for the Giants shipping him this season. Personally I would nominate Thompson as being closer to OVER-rated than Seabrook.

Hey "salostyle" am I mistaken or did Thompson talk his way out of a Memorial Cup in Kootenay? Or did he win it with them? For some reason I thought a guy I know from Cranbrook told me he left the team in the playoffs the year they won it all? Maybe someone else knows what happened.

Old
11-14-2004, 11:28 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv
Hey "salostyle" am I mistaken or did Thompson talk his way out of a Memorial Cup in Kootenay? Or did he win it with them? For some reason I thought a guy I know from Cranbrook told me he left the team in the playoffs the year they won it all? Maybe someone else knows what happened.

He played in 11 of 22 playoff games that year. I'm curious as to what happened there myself.

Old
11-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Orv

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
He played in 11 of 22 playoff games that year. I'm curious as to what happened there myself.
For some reason I thimk he quit the team.

Old
11-15-2004, 05:38 PM
JoeHockey97

Thompson did quit the team, Mental health issues with depression last I heard.

Old
11-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Pedrostallion1

Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHockey97
Thompson did quit the team, Mental health issues with depression last I heard.
If I remember correctly he left the team after one of their games in Seattle...made the trip out, played then went home with his family while the rest of the team headed back to Cranbrook.

Guess the kid had some major issues he had to settle and those were more important than hockey at the time.

On Thompson, he had a hell of a 16 year old year...tough as nails and would fight anyone....after he came back I never thought he was the same feisty player...he could have been a top enforcer but it seemed like he was more going through the motions...

The one good thing out of the whole Thompson debacle for the ICE is that we ended up with Ben Maxwell

Old
11-17-2004, 02:19 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

Colten Yellowhorn is a character to say the least. I had the privilege of covering the Lethbridge Hurricanes the past two years and Yellowhorn is quite the kid on and off the ice. Call it cockiness and a poor attitude or confidence in his own ability...at this time last year I would have nominated him in the UNDER-rated category just behind teammate Kris Versteeg but a lot of Yellowhorn's goals/points this year are the product of a strong supporting cast on an offensive-minded Hurricanes squad which makes me wonder if he shouldn't be sliding towards the OVER-rated side of things.

UNDER-rated = Michal Gulasi, second-year defenseman with the Lethbridge Hurricanes and one of my favourites...physical, defensively responsible with decent offensive potential...being looked past only because of size.

Meyer should crack the NHL and i reckon he will have a decent Nhl career.

Old
11-17-2004, 02:46 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrostallion1
The one good thing out of the whole Thompson debacle for the ICE is that we ended up with Ben Maxwell
How has Maxwell played? I noticed that he was recently a 1st star in one of the games, but he isn't putting up major #'s or anything. Is he getting 4th line minutes?

Old
11-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Avery4Byng*

Another young lad who has been picking his game up rather quietly as of late is Troy Ofukany of the Rockets. Not overally big but has a real nice skating style and has decent hands.

Closed Thread