HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Thanksgiving or Bust?

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2004, 12:44 AM
X8oD

vCash: 500
Thanksgiving or Bust?

Tonight my local news said that the NHL has given notice that if there isnt an agreement by Thanksgiving, that they will cancel the season.

Any info on this? It was regular sports news, not like a rumor show or anything like that.

Old
11-11-2004, 01:28 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Tonight my local news said that the NHL has given notice that if there isnt an agreement by Thanksgiving, that they will cancel the season.

Any info on this? It was regular sports news, not like a rumor show or anything like that.
Its going to be bust.

Old
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Egil

COnsidering they didn't reach an agreement last time until January, yet still ahd a season, I don't see why they need one by Thanksgiving. I also don't even think they need an agreement by January, a 28 game regular season schedule (play every team in confernce at home and on road) followed by the playoffs is sufficient. And to do that, finishing on time, you would only have to start the season in mid Febuary.

Old
11-11-2004, 09:59 AM
degroat*

A 28 game season would not be enough.

Old
11-11-2004, 03:27 PM
roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
That's my understanding, too. Half of a season or none at all is what we were told back in September, if I'm not dreaming...

Now, if there is a half-season, the NHL sked just resumes "as is", right? I would assume the NHL wouldn't rewrite the entire sked because of all of the NHL arena's previously scheduled events. Anyone know for sure??

Old
11-12-2004, 03:58 AM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
which channel was it chuck? also i wouldn't be surprised if this was a ploy just to get the PA to start making some real proposals to help start negotiations. With the short time span til thanksgiving i hope something can be salvaged of the season.

Old
11-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Isles72

put a very large asterik beside whoever wins a cup with a 28 game season !

Old
11-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Egil

Quote:

Why not? You play everyone in the conference twice, home and away, so you actually have a fairer seeding method than normal. Then you have the playoffs as normal (which is all that really matters anyways). I fail to see the problem (some of the playoff revenue would undoubtedly have to go to the players to make it work, but whatever).

Most Euro Soccer leagues play a home and away schedule, and it seems to work just fine for them. I fail to see why it can't work here.

Old
11-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Tom_Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
That's my understanding, too. Half of a season or none at all is what we were told back in September, if I'm not dreaming...

Now, if there is a half-season, the NHL sked just resumes "as is", right? I would assume the NHL wouldn't rewrite the entire sked because of all of the NHL arena's previously scheduled events. Anyone know for sure??
In 1995, they redid the schedule.

There was no interconference play. New Jersey won the Cup without ever leaving the Eastern time zone! I would imagine they will make the same choice to maximise the number of games they can play by reducing travel.

It doesn't take long to identify open dates and crank a new schedule through a computer.

Tom

Old
11-12-2004, 07:26 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221
which channel was it chuck? also i wouldn't be surprised if this was a ploy just to get the PA to start making some real proposals to help start negotiations. With the short time span til thanksgiving i hope something can be salvaged of the season.
NBC, Channel 4, Bernie Smilovitz

Old
11-12-2004, 08:07 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Why not? You play everyone in the conference twice, home and away, so you actually have a fairer seeding method than normal. Then you have the playoffs as normal (which is all that really matters anyways). I fail to see the problem (some of the playoff revenue would undoubtedly have to go to the players to make it work, but whatever).

Most Euro Soccer leagues play a home and away schedule, and it seems to work just fine for them. I fail to see why it can't work here.
I fail to see how you can say that playoff teams determined by a 28 game season is fair.

Old
11-12-2004, 10:11 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
I fail to see how you can say that playoff teams determined by a 28 game season is fair.
You determine a Stanley Cup champion by a maximium of 28 games for the winner.

Old
11-13-2004, 12:02 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
COnsidering they didn't reach an agreement last time until January, yet still ahd a season, I don't see why they need one by Thanksgiving.
That's because last time they actually started playing before they had a full agreement. They came to an understanding, then started playing, then actually started the final negotiations and writing of the contract.

In fact, this process is what caused problems in the CBA. The PA kept bringing up new things, asking for more than what they had done in the agreement in principle. The owners had to give in on some things, because they couldn't very well start a whole new lock out.

The owners have specifically stated they won't do that again. They'll get the agreement all finalised and written up before training camps ever open.

Closed Thread