HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Thanksgiving or Bust?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2004, 12:44 AM
  #1
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Thanksgiving or Bust?

Tonight my local news said that the NHL has given notice that if there isnt an agreement by Thanksgiving, that they will cancel the season.

Any info on this? It was regular sports news, not like a rumor show or anything like that.

X8oD is offline  
Old
11-11-2004, 01:28 AM
  #2
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 19,344
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Tonight my local news said that the NHL has given notice that if there isnt an agreement by Thanksgiving, that they will cancel the season.

Any info on this? It was regular sports news, not like a rumor show or anything like that.
Its going to be bust.

me2 is offline  
Old
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM
  #3
Egil
Registered User
 
Egil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
COnsidering they didn't reach an agreement last time until January, yet still ahd a season, I don't see why they need one by Thanksgiving. I also don't even think they need an agreement by January, a 28 game regular season schedule (play every team in confernce at home and on road) followed by the playoffs is sufficient. And to do that, finishing on time, you would only have to start the season in mid Febuary.

Egil is offline  
Old
11-11-2004, 09:59 AM
  #4
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
A 28 game season would not be enough.

degroat* is offline  
Old
11-11-2004, 03:27 PM
  #5
roadrunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: U Can'tTake Me Alive
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
A 28 game season would not be enough.
That's my understanding, too. Half of a season or none at all is what we were told back in September, if I'm not dreaming...

Now, if there is a half-season, the NHL sked just resumes "as is", right? I would assume the NHL wouldn't rewrite the entire sked because of all of the NHL arena's previously scheduled events. Anyone know for sure??

roadrunner is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 03:58 AM
  #6
garry1221
Registered User
 
garry1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Walled Lake, Mi
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
which channel was it chuck? also i wouldn't be surprised if this was a ploy just to get the PA to start making some real proposals to help start negotiations. With the short time span til thanksgiving i hope something can be salvaged of the season.

garry1221 is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 03:42 PM
  #7
Isles72
Registered User
 
Isles72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
put a very large asterik beside whoever wins a cup with a 28 game season !

Isles72 is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 05:28 PM
  #8
Egil
Registered User
 
Egil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
A 28 game season would not be enough.

Why not? You play everyone in the conference twice, home and away, so you actually have a fairer seeding method than normal. Then you have the playoffs as normal (which is all that really matters anyways). I fail to see the problem (some of the playoff revenue would undoubtedly have to go to the players to make it work, but whatever).

Most Euro Soccer leagues play a home and away schedule, and it seems to work just fine for them. I fail to see why it can't work here.

Egil is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 06:16 PM
  #9
Tom_Benjamin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
That's my understanding, too. Half of a season or none at all is what we were told back in September, if I'm not dreaming...

Now, if there is a half-season, the NHL sked just resumes "as is", right? I would assume the NHL wouldn't rewrite the entire sked because of all of the NHL arena's previously scheduled events. Anyone know for sure??
In 1995, they redid the schedule.

There was no interconference play. New Jersey won the Cup without ever leaving the Eastern time zone! I would imagine they will make the same choice to maximise the number of games they can play by reducing travel.

It doesn't take long to identify open dates and crank a new schedule through a computer.

Tom

Tom_Benjamin is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 07:26 PM
  #10
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221
which channel was it chuck? also i wouldn't be surprised if this was a ploy just to get the PA to start making some real proposals to help start negotiations. With the short time span til thanksgiving i hope something can be salvaged of the season.
NBC, Channel 4, Bernie Smilovitz

X8oD is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 08:07 PM
  #11
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Why not? You play everyone in the conference twice, home and away, so you actually have a fairer seeding method than normal. Then you have the playoffs as normal (which is all that really matters anyways). I fail to see the problem (some of the playoff revenue would undoubtedly have to go to the players to make it work, but whatever).

Most Euro Soccer leagues play a home and away schedule, and it seems to work just fine for them. I fail to see why it can't work here.
I fail to see how you can say that playoff teams determined by a 28 game season is fair.

degroat* is offline  
Old
11-12-2004, 10:11 PM
  #12
YellHockey*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
I fail to see how you can say that playoff teams determined by a 28 game season is fair.
You determine a Stanley Cup champion by a maximium of 28 games for the winner.

YellHockey* is offline  
Old
11-13-2004, 12:02 AM
  #13
PecaFan
Registered User
 
PecaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
COnsidering they didn't reach an agreement last time until January, yet still ahd a season, I don't see why they need one by Thanksgiving.
That's because last time they actually started playing before they had a full agreement. They came to an understanding, then started playing, then actually started the final negotiations and writing of the contract.

In fact, this process is what caused problems in the CBA. The PA kept bringing up new things, asking for more than what they had done in the agreement in principle. The owners had to give in on some things, because they couldn't very well start a whole new lock out.

The owners have specifically stated they won't do that again. They'll get the agreement all finalised and written up before training camps ever open.

PecaFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.