HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Bruins (3.11.12)

Old
03-11-2012, 02:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Bruins (3.11.12)

Plus

+ Geno line: After a pretty average game against Florida, this line came to play against one of the top teams in the East. I thought their hustle, tenacity, and puck movement was incredible. Geno was the star, but Kunitz and Neal both played an equal part in dominating the B's defense. One thing I love is how Neal/Kunitz were really trying to give Chara hell by finishing hits, and you rarely see that in hockey games. Usually it's the other way around. That wore the Bruins down and the Pens exploded.

+ Staal line: Not their best game, but still a tremendous line for the Pens. I'm very comfortable with that line going out there as L2. I have no idea what they do with Sid coming back, but it's hard to change this line right now. Duper and Sully are playing out of their freaking minds right now w/ their speed. They flank Staal perfectly.

+ Joe Victory: This guy was once again our momentum boost all game long. He's finishing hits, forechecking, backchecking, etc. He's doing everything the Pens need to win hockey games. Not to mention he's one of our top faceoff guys, too. What a steal to have him and I cannot wait to see what he does in the playoffs. Gotta love this kid's tenacity.

+ Engo/Michalek: I'm going to put these two together for their toughness on the back end today. 5 shots blocked in one period is a ridiculous number. I also thought Engo's gap was great all game long and it frustrated the Bruins all game long. These two were the best defenders for the Pens today.

+ Fleury: Not a game-stealing effort, but made a few game stealing saves when the Bruins kept putting pressure on the Pens in the 2nd/3rd.

+ Physicality: The Pens came out with a purpose today and that was to make the Bruins pay for playing back-to-back games. Great adjustment by Bylsma and the players bought into it. Their target was the Bruins defense and you could see how tired they were in the 3rd period. Great stuff. Target #1 - Chara. It absolutely paid off for the Pens.

Minus

- I don't really have any minuses for today's game. Some players didn't really stand out, but nobody was pathetic and hurting the pens. We had a few let downs in the defensive zone, but even with that it's nothing terrible. Those will happen without Letang.

The Bruins were beat by Washington and wanted this game badly. We came out to step on their throats and played to take them out. Great physical play and it was a battle for 60 minutes.

That being said - no minuses for me. Some will differ.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:02 PM
DreamBeaut

Go Isles.

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:05 PM
WVU71

Guys like Asham, Cooke, Vitale and Adams really set the tone early. Great jobs by those guys of taking the body early and often. Also I thought Tangradi has some really good moments. Not perfect, but showed some flashes.

WVU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

+ first GDT win
+ With Staal's line having a day off Geno's line was money today, Neal finally broke his goal drought
+ some huge hits today, Vitale, Engo and Neal are coming to my mind.

- our defense sucked bad in the 2nd period, they couldn't clear the puck even if their lives would have depended on it
- Lovejoy, jesus christ, he was a turnover machine today

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gdsmack267

+ Geno line
+ Neals slump ending
+ Tangradi and the 4th line had a great game
+ MAF

- Orpik seemed step behind most of the game, lost lot of puck battles
- Bostons board meltdown

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Beasts of the East, ha! We just handed them their tuchuses without our #1 center and #1 defenseman.

Agreed on all the pluses, and I'd throw a little minus Despres' way - kid looked a bit shaky. Probably his worst game on the big club, even though it wasn't all that bad.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Everyone played well. Even Tangradi looked decent. Speaking of Tangradi, I thought today's game was the first game where he wasn't invisible. I can't say he's useless, and he's not a liability out there, but his offensive game is almost non existent. He clearly has nothing else to prove in WBS, so let him prove himself in the NHL. Can't say he has a future here, unfortunately.

I'm also convinced that as soon as Crosby returns the winning streak will be over. This board will then lobby to make Sid the 3rd line center in lieu of Staal.

Also, that Turco save on Staal should be the save of the year. Sick stuff.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Zirakzigil

I think Nisky should get some props for leading the team in icetime with both Letang and Martin out. Pretty epic turn around for him to go from being a throw in on a trade to a solid defenseman for the team.

Zirakzigil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:12 PM

+ The thread that is now closed on the main boards. Hilarious.

Agreed with everything else in the OP.

3074326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:13 PM
66-29-33

No Crosby, Martin, Letang? No Problem! 4-0 or something without Letang.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Plus: Loved the physical effort from the puck drop. Tone was set immediately because of a terrific forecheck.

Minus: As a few people pointed out in the GDT, there were too many poor outlet passes from the defense, especially in the second and third.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Lovejoy frustrates the hell out of me with dumb ass reads. That first goal by the Bruins was all him being in terrible position after it was blatantly obvious that Orpik was in trouble.

Aside from that good game by everyone and it's nice to see Geno getting points again.

Sid back and a big game Thursday? People overused the hell out of the word epic these days but if Sid comes back Thursday that game against the Rangers is going to be an epic tilt.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:14 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
I think Nisky should get some props for leading the team in icetime with both Letang and Martin out. Pretty epic turn around for him to go from being a throw in on a trade to a solid defenseman for the team.
Na, he's definitely an average bottom pairing guy.

I agree with those who say he doesn't think the game at a big minute D-man's level, but he has the instincts and physical tools to be a solid #4 in due time. Likely not on this team though.

As Cole said, pretty tough to do minuses after that team effort. Despres struggled in his own end a bit I guess.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:15 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Plus: Loved the physical effort from the puck drop. Tone was set immediately because of a terrific forecheck.

Minus: As a few people pointed out in the GDT, there were too many poor outlet passes from the defense, especially in the second and third.
Outside of Nisky, it was pretty awful. But Martin+Letang will solve that.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:16 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

+ Neal
+ Fleury
+ Kunitz
+ Vitale
+ the first period. Domination.
+ lol @ the mainboard

- bad clears and whatnot.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:16 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Lovejoy frustrates the hell out of me with dumb ass reads. That first goal by the Bruins was all him being in terrible position after it was blatantly obvious that Orpik was in trouble.

Aside from that good game by everyone and it's nice to see Geno getting points again.

Sid back and a big game Thursday? People overused the hell out of the word epic these days but if Sid comes back Thursday that game against the Rangers is going to be an epic tilt.
I don't see how we lose that game with Sid back. Sid's energy level alone is going to make it quite difficult for the Rangers. He isn't going pointless.

Old
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Was house hunting and didn't see the game. Apparently Neal and Kunitz scored though, so i'm assuming half the board isn't on suicide watch over the first line's performance?

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
WhatsaMaatta

+ Huge statement game from the entire team. They handed it to the Bruins physically then lit up the scoresheet. The Bruins had some figt left, but it was pretty amazing to see a team that thrives on physicality look somewhat demoralized after 1 period of hockey. That's what happens when you initiate contact early and often like the Pens did.

Went to check out the Bruins board. They seem pretty mad about something.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:22 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Geno line: After a pretty average game against Florida, this line came to play against one of the top teams in the East. I thought their hustle, tenacity, and puck movement was incredible. Geno was the star, but Kunitz and Neal both played an equal part in dominating the B's defense. One thing I love is how Neal/Kunitz were really trying to give Chara hell by finishing hits, and you rarely see that in hockey games. Usually it's the other way around. That wore the Bruins down and the Pens exploded.

+ Staal line: Not their best game, but still a tremendous line for the Pens. I'm very comfortable with that line going out there as L2. I have no idea what they do with Sid coming back, but it's hard to change this line right now. Duper and Sully are playing out of their freaking minds right now w/ their speed. They flank Staal perfectly.

+ Joe Victory: This guy was once again our momentum boost all game long. He's finishing hits, forechecking, backchecking, etc. He's doing everything the Pens need to win hockey games. Not to mention he's one of our top faceoff guys, too. What a steal to have him and I cannot wait to see what he does in the playoffs. Gotta love this kid's tenacity.

+ Engo/Michalek: I'm going to put these two together for their toughness on the back end today. 5 shots blocked in one period is a ridiculous number. I also thought Engo's gap was great all game long and it frustrated the Bruins all game long. These two were the best defenders for the Pens today.

+ Fleury: Not a game-stealing effort, but made a few game stealing saves when the Bruins kept putting pressure on the Pens in the 2nd/3rd.

+ Physicality: The Pens came out with a purpose today and that was to make the Bruins pay for playing back-to-back games. Great adjustment by Bylsma and the players bought into it. Their target was the Bruins defense and you could see how tired they were in the 3rd period. Great stuff. Target #1 - Chara. It absolutely paid off for the Pens.

Minus

- I don't really have any minuses for today's game. Some players didn't really stand out, but nobody was pathetic and hurting the pens. We had a few let downs in the defensive zone, but even with that it's nothing terrible. Those will happen without Letang.

The Bruins were beat by Washington and wanted this game badly. We came out to step on their throats and played to take them out. Great physical play and it was a battle for 60 minutes.

That being said - no minuses for me. Some will differ.
Chara reminds me of the big, bad bully who likes to beat everyone up but wants no part of anyone standing up to him. Like the last game in Boston, the Pens have played '**** you Chara' hockey. That's how you deal with a pack of bullies. You don't shy away. You pick the biggest and baddest one of the bunch and take his *** out.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I don't see how we lose that game with Sid back. Sid's energy level alone is going to make it quite difficult for the Rangers. He isn't going pointless.
We'll see. The Rangers are always a tough match up for us. It seems like we dominate puck possession a lot against them which then leads to the games going one of two ways:

-We crack Hank early and end up winning

or

-We don't get enough goals early despite the puck possession and then the Rangers get a few odd man breaks and bam they have the lead and then they lock it down against us.

#2 happens far more often than I'd like. They are a very opportunistic team and do a phenomenal job of collapsing around Hank. They remind me a lot of the Habs team that beat us in the playoffs and we have trouble with that style of play. The Rangers are imo even better at that style than that Habs team was, and they have more elite finishers.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Na, he's definitely an average bottom pairing guy.

I agree with those who say he doesn't think the game at a big minute D-man's level, but he has the instincts and physical tools to be a solid #4 in due time. Likely not on this team though.

As Cole said, pretty tough to do minuses after that team effort. Despres struggled in his own end a bit I guess.
Depends though. If he continues to play like this then he will get a good return in a trade. But on the other hand if you can sign him to a decent contract its hard to send away a guy like him who fits the team so well. Either way its a nice problem to have.

Zirakzigil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
+ Geno line
- Orpik seemed step behind most of the game, lost lot of puck battles
come on, 44 has been our best defender over the curse of the last, let's say at least 2 weeks....to call him out isn't really fair IMO

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
End of Line
Human After All

+Everything except,

-Defense in the 2nd period
-Malkin's boarding
-Lovejoy

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SEALBound

I didn't feel like we played a full 60 minutes.

A 60 minute effort like the 1st period from this team will win them a Cup.

Adding Letang, Martin, and Sid...will make us just that much stronger.

+'s

Geno's line: Dominant
Staal's line: Not as dominant as we've seen but they all did great
Neal: Breaks drought
Dupuis: Lovin this guy! Its performance like this that are key to long playoff runs
4th line: Thought they did pretty well

-'s
Lovejoy: Wasn't impressed with his play today
Dzone breakdowns: Each of the Bruins goals was capitalization of a dzone breakdown. Bruins are good at exploiting those gaps...something we need to be careful of
60 minutes: Although we has control most of this game...I feel we let off the gas in the 3rd. The 1st period was a thing of beauty...THAT is what will get us a Cup.

Does anyone else think that Malkin looks a little tired? Still dominant...but a little tired.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
Was house hunting and didn't see the game. Apparently Neal and Kunitz scored though, so i'm assuming half the board isn't on suicide watch over the first line's performance?
Boston was reeling against the Pens top line all day. Kunitz was hitting everything in sight. Neal was all over the place. And, that was without question Geno's most impactful two way game since the last win against the Rangers. All of them stepped it up a notch, probably Geno even more than the other two (who were absolutely awesome) in two ways: One, he played it like a playoff game . . . an absolute monster out there and validated the thought of those among us who think there's another level of Geno coming for the playoffs. Two, he took the fight to Chara . . . no backing down, no staying way out to the perimeter to avoid him, and probably 50/50 in the battles. He's come a long way on that one.

You missed a hell of a team effort.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote