HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2012 Draft Thread: Part V | "Fizzling for Rissling"

View Poll Results: With the 2nd overall pick, what would you choose?
Center (Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, etc.) 100 58.82%
Defenseman (Murray, Dumba, etc.) 70 41.18%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Found this mock draft.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2012

1st round: Filip Forsberg
2nd round: Nick Ebert
3rd round: Gemel Smith and Calle Andersson
4th round: Daniel Altshuller
5th round: Cody Corbett
6th round: Brian Morgan

That would be a pretty damn good draft.
Do not like. heh

I like Forsberg, but I see no chance that Oilers will take him. They'll be going Grigs or Dumba/Murray in my opinion.

I do see them going for Ebert as well, even though I'm not that big on. They did it with Musil. A guy rated pretty highly, then dropped throughout the season. With that said, Ebert has fallen off, this guy has been getting a bunch of negatives on his scouting reports.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Dumba and Murray are now far above the other d-men on the list (Reilly may have been there had he played all season) But I'm really thinking in just 2 seasons we had a solid top-4 set of

Smid-Petry
Klefbom-Murray/Dumba

Over a 5 year period, that group will just keep getting better, with the 2nd pairing likely at some point evolving past the first.

If we have 1 more bad season after this (praying that we don't), we can probably draft an NHL ready 2nd line forward, and we're good to go (with that 2nd pairing listed likely being NHL ready by then)
I wouldn't count out Trouba, Reinhart, and Rielly yet. Rielly is back skating in Moose Jaw so if they go deep in the playoffs he might get some more games in.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
ChefTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Dumba and Murray are now far above the other d-men on the list (Reilly may have been there had he played all season) But I'm really thinking in just 2 seasons we had a solid top-4 set of

Smid-Petry
Klefbom-Murray/Dumba

Over a 5 year period, that group will just keep getting better, with the 2nd pairing likely at some point evolving past the first.

If we have 1 more bad season after this (praying that we don't), we can probably draft an NHL ready 2nd line forward, and we're good to go (with that 2nd pairing listed likely being NHL ready by then)
I like that! I say we go Dumba... and go balls to the wall for Justin Schultz... gives us depth and assests!

Old
03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Tyrolean

The only player I am not comfortable with is Dumba. I really hope they don't take him.

Old
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
The only player I am not comfortable with is Dumba. I really hope they don't take him.
I am only impressed whenever I hear about his game. Seems like if he give him a strong defensive partner (Smid, Klefbom, Schultz) that he can really play with our group of forwards!

Old
03-14-2012, 04:38 PM
ChefTO

Quote:
Care to explain...?

To me he is PK Subban 2pto

good skater, puck mover and puck rusher... risk taker, game changer... identity maker...

This teams has lacked an identity for some time now, and with hall we get a bit of that passion and drive, add in a player of similar truculence is worth it in my opinion! Add tom wilson and you have addressed a serious problem with the Oilers, dynamic dman and tough rugged winger!

Old
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
Care to explain...?

good skater, puck mover and puck rusher... risk taker, game changer... identity maker...

This teams has lacked an identity for some time now, and with hall we get a bit of that passion and drive, add in a player of similar truculence is worth it in my opinion! Add tom wilson and you have addressed a serious problem with the Oilers, dynamic dman and tough rugged winger!
You mean JFJ 2pto?

Old
03-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
Care to explain...?

Is Subban 2.0 what we want? We already have guys that bleed scoring chances. Tom Wilson would be nice, the guy looked good in the prospects game.

Old
03-14-2012, 04:59 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
You mean JFJ 2pto?

Wilson has scored 4 goals since October.

He's barely even JFJ-lite.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Why Tyro! Why!

Old
03-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Skm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

Outside of the prospects game I haven't seen him play so I can't offer a fair evaluation but just looking at his numbers and size in relation to JFJ scare me, as simple minded as that is.

Drafting those big, powerful, top 6 hopefulls is sketchy. For every Lucic there are 5 Gillies, Jessimans, JFJs. That being said, we need that type of player badly on this team and not sure how else to address it (although I do like the idea of going after Clowe).

Old
03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

But he's still the next Lucic!

Oh, and to be fair, he's played like 5-6 games over the past month. And still has more goals than Lucic if you compare draft years.

Somehow, I see the Canucks taking him. lol. So everybody can say he's their counter to Lucic, just like Kassian is.

Old
03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
The only defenceman I am comfortable with the Oilers taking is Dumba. The others are a risk Imo Dumba has the talent that transfers to any League, and will be the best dman from this years crop.

Old
03-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
The only defenceman I am comfortable with the Oilers taking is Dumba. The others are a risk Imo Dumba has the talent that transfers to any League, and will be the best dman from this years crop.
You don't think Dumba has any risk?! If anything, Dumba has the most risk. From everything I have read, Dumba is high risk but high reward, whereas someone like Murray is lower risk but lower reward. All of this is pretty speculative and subjective though.

Old
03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
5 14 6 1
We are the 11.5%

This is a hard decision.. Thank god we get some kind of reward for watching this horrific team again this year.

Anyways,

What would make you more confident as an Oiler fan ?

Top 6

Hall - Grigorenko - Hemsky
Big LW - RNH - Eberle

Top 4

Smid - Petry
Schultz - ???

The ??? being filled by either a UFA or Gagner trade return

OR

Top 6

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Big LW - RNH - Eberle

Top 4

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Dumba

Old
03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
This is a hard decision.. Thank god we get some kind of reward for watching this horrific team again this year.

Anyways,

What would make you more confident as an Oiler fan ?

Top 6

Hall - Grigorenko - Hemsky
Big LW - RNH - Eberle

Top 4

Smid - Petry
Schultz - ???

The ??? being filled by either a UFA or Gagner trade return

OR

Top 6

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Big LW - RNH - Eberle

Top 4

Smid - Petry
Schultz - Dumba
IMO, you can't win in the playoffs with option 2.

Size and depth down the middle is very important when games are tight and physical, and having Gagner and RNH as your top 6 centres are are big problem going forward IMO.

Since Gagner hasn't shown he can play wing, I'd take a 6'3 centre instead, Russian or not, and hope we can get a decent return for Sam.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
rockinghockey

I agree that we need a big centreman. I just don't see Dumba being better than Murray. Murray has decent size and has hockey sense and good skating ability which is important.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
IMO, you can't win in the playoffs with option 2.

Size and depth down the middle is very important when games are tight and physical, and having Gagner and RNH as your top 6 centres are are big problem going forward IMO.

Since Gagner hasn't shown he can play wing, I'd take a 6'3 centre instead, Russian or not, and hope we can get a decent return for Sam.
Somewhat disagreed. In essence, you are right, but size and depth is important THROUGHOUT the lineup, not strictly at C.

The Oil CAN go with RNH-Gagner down the middle, but they need to be playing with bigger + skilled wingers. That's where the problem lies though, for we have NOBODY with size on the wings. So, you either fill the wings with size, or you replace Gagner with a bigger C, so you can get away with playing smaller wingers.

With that said, yes, I rather go with a bigger #2 center to complement RNH in the middle. Versus going small at C and big forwards on the wings.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:28 PM
rockinghockey

Here is my opinion on the bottom teams and what they might look at drafting. There are a lot of dmen in the draft but the bottom teams need size and scoring up front in my opinion.
CBJ - Yakapov; they need scoring and he is all offense.
EDM - Grigorenko; people might think that we are deep up front but we realy aren't, need some size at centre.
Montreal - Galchenyuk; there top 6 is small and they need some size.
NYI - Murray; They have draft fwds the last few drafts, adding a top dman will help them.
CAR - Forsberg; They just can't turn down a winger with some size and skill
MIN - Dumba; Adding Dumba to the mix will look nice with Brodin in a few years.
TOR - Faksa; Burkie always wanted a big centreman now he has one.
ANA - Trouba; This big dman will look good with their young dmen.
TB - Reinhart; They need dmen badly and Reinhart will give them that big dman that can move the puck and will be ready before other dmen.
Buffalo- Rielly; Having a nice puck mover will help this team.

This is how I see the draft going down. Players are pretty close to each other so teams can not only pick for needs but feel like they picked BPA.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:32 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Apparently Edmonton had multiple scouts for Galchenyuk's game tonight according to prospect board report.

03-14-2012, 09:32 PM
rockinghockey

What about ANA; they need a 2nd line centreman and they have some big bodies, what would have to be added with Gagner to get their 1st round pick. I can't seeing being too much. Coming out of the draft with Grigorenko and a top 10 dman would be nice.

I think that Gagner for their 1st round pick would be pretty fair for both teams.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
rockinghockey

MTL won tonight, I think we will be a safe bet for 29th place.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:35 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Apparently Edmonton had multiple scouts for Galchenyuk's game tonight according to prospect board report.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
What about ANA; they need a 2nd line centreman and they have some big bodies, what would have to be added with Gagner to get their 1st round pick. I can't seeing being too much. Coming out of the draft with Grigorenko and a top 10 dman would be nice.

I think that Gagner for their 1st round pick would be pretty fair for both teams.
I highly doubt they have any interest whatsoever in gagner with cogliano there. They would essentially be building the oilers of 3 years ago. They have a good chance at galchenyuk. Much better in the long run for them.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:44 PM
rockinghockey

How did Galchenyuk do tonight?

Closed Thread