HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official 2012 Draft Thread: Part V | "Fizzling for Rissling"

View Poll Results: With the 2nd overall pick, what would you choose?
Center (Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, etc.) 100 58.82%
Defenseman (Murray, Dumba, etc.) 70 41.18%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2012, 09:50 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
MTL won tonight, I think we will be a safe bet for 29th place.
It is basically a forgone conclusion now. So what are the odds if we finish 2 that we move up to 1 or down to 3?

Old
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
It is basically a forgone conclusion now. So what are the odds if we finish 2 that we move up to 1 or down to 3?
Pick 1st - 18.8%
Pick 2nd - 37.3%
Pick 3rd - 43.9%

Old
03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
How did Galchenyuk do tonight?
Tough to say without being there. But 0pts and -3 in a 7-1 loss to a weak team in Saginaw.

Obviously need to see several more games, he's not going to explode in his first game back. It would actually be great if Yakupov is out for a bit, to see what Galchenyuk plays like without him, then have him return and see the difference.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:07 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGagner View Post
Pick 1st - 18.8%
Pick 2nd - 37.3%
Pick 3rd - 43.9%
I thought that it was:

Pick 1st - 18.8%
Pick 2nd - 42%
Pick 3rd - 14.2 + 10.7 + 8.1 + 6.2 = 39.2%

Old
03-14-2012, 10:09 PM
OilerFan4Life

Grigorenko's compete level has been questioned way too much to see this organization draft him. They've been all about character and bringing in passionate guys since Stu took over.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Grigorenko's compete level has been questioned way too much to see this organization draft him. They've been all about character and bringing in passionate guys since Stu took over.
Ive only ever seen it questioned in that article on tsn. Unless you count everyone that is repeating it.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:44 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
There's a good chance there is as much dis-information in the questioning of his heart/desire/character as there is any real validity.

Especially the comments by the scout who wouldn't even take him ANYWHERE in the 1st round even if he was still available... I call pure BS on that. Can't make me believe there are 30 players you'd pick in front of Grigorenko in this weakish draft... a big offensively solid centre who is ranked top 3 by a pile of other scouts and draft services (including the aggregate group that Bob Mackenzie polls every year).

He may have deficiencies and weaknesses... but so does every other prospect in this draft. The guy is still maturing and developing and you'd be blind not to see his potential and talent level. If he has bust potential so does everyone else in the 1st round as well.

He could be drafted anywhere in the top 5... my guess is at #2 but if he falls to anywhere close to being a second rounder (20+) I'll eat the crusty underwear of Lahey in IATL's avatar.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Columbus wants Yakupov pretty bad judging from tonight.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
There's a good chance there is as much dis-information in the questioning of his heart/desire/character as there is any real validity.

Especially the comments by the scout who wouldn't even take him ANYWHERE in the 1st round even if he was still available... I call pure BS on that. Can't make me believe there are 30 players you'd pick in front of Grigorenko in this weakish draft... a big offensively solid centre who is ranked top 3 by a pile of other scouts and draft services (including the aggregate group that Bob Mackenzie polls every year).

He may have deficiencies and weaknesses... but so does every other prospect in this draft. The guy is still maturing and developing and you'd be blind not to see his potential and talent level. If he has bust potential so does everyone else in the 1st round as well.

He could be drafted anywhere in the top 5... my guess is at #2 but if he falls to anywhere close to being a second rounder (20+) I'll eat the crusty underwear of Lahey in IATL's avatar.
Just wait to see what Im giving you for your user title at the end of the season.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Haha, way too much eh. Care to tell us where this has been mentioned? They said the same thing about Malkin. Truth is some of these guys are so good they get bored sometimes, and things get stagnant, but when the chips are down they go hard and tend to deliver because of their skill and talent level. He's had his ups and downs but ultimately Grigorenko is having an awesome rookie season. RNH and Grigs down the middle would be amazing. Crosby-Malkin lite.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:16 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Malkin's compete level has been questioned a lot too.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Just wait to see what Im giving you for your user title at the end of the season.
Ya I guess my 89 point prophecy was a "little" off. They still have a 85 point max that they could reach... on a roll now with this 1 game winning streak vs CBJ to get them jump started for the summer.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:

hmm, this post looks like the one i posted earlier in this thread, almost word for word lol, right down to the eating of used shorts (although i said he wont even make it past 2nd overall)...couldnt agree more, its all BS propaganda, and i'm pretty sure its because we are probably picking 2nd and everyone is trying to tell us how much we NEED to draft a dman this year (yeah, like we dont know we need D), normally i would have no problem with them taking one of the top dmen this year since i believe there will be some really good ones in this draft, but we all saw how bad this team looks without RNH in the lineup, and we really dont have that much depth at forward, we have 1 line that will be awesome, and not much after that, we need to draft Grigorenko to get some size in our top 6.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:43 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Apparently Edmonton had multiple scouts for Galchenyuk's game tonight according to prospect board report.
Excellent. I'm glad that they are keeping an eye on him.
I would love nothing more than for Galchenyuk to play well throughout the playoffs and force Stu's hand to pick him.
Same with Grigorenko although i hope that Gally becomes Stu's guy, the injury seemed to be the only thing that prevented him from being a consensus top 3 pick.
Kid has the perfect style of play to suit our needs.
RNH-Galchenyuk down the middle for the next 7-10 years? Yes please OR
RNH-Grigorenko down the middle for the next 7-10 years? Yeah, i'll have some of that.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:50 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Ya I guess my 89 point prophecy was a "little" off. They still have a 85 point max that they could reach... on a roll now with this 1 game winning streak vs CBJ to get them jump started for the summer.
I would like to see them win some games. For confidence and to get to the #4 slot. I want them to take a dman, and if they need a little guidance to do the right thing, then so be it.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Apparently Edmonton had multiple scouts for Galchenyuk's game tonight according to prospect board report.
I'd be very worried if they didn't. They haven't gotten to see him play a regular season game all year and he is seen as a consensus top 5-10 talent. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have at least 1 scout at every one of his games from here on out.

03-15-2012, 12:57 AM
40oz

Quote:
I'm assuming this is the post you're referring to, just in case folks didnt want to have to go and look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Galchenyuk saw limited ice time tonight (just over 8min) and only 2min in the third. Most of his shifts were 20-30s and off so don't put too much stock in his production in his first game back. For the most time his time was spent regrouping or retrieving as the Sting were unable to get any movement up the ice going

He was on for three goals against (hence -3) but one was one a bad line change, another as a PP ended and the other was a goalmouth scramble so none were from his defensive flaws. Actually he played well defensively

He saw limited PP time but showed a few flashes of his vision and playmaking skills.

The main thing was that he was skating well with no signs of poor affexts from surgery.

Should be interesting how the sting progress with his icetime over the next few games. I'd expect it could take 5 or so games to knock the rust off

On a side note. Media/scout room was full tonight and EDM had several scouts there.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:07 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I would like to see them win some games. For confidence and to get to the #4 slot. I want them to take a dman, and if they need a little guidance to do the right thing, then so be it.
I agree, I think it would do a lot if they could some how scratch and claw up a spot or two. I think Murray or Dumba is what we need any way.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
You don't think Dumba has any risk?! If anything, Dumba has the most risk. From everything I have read, Dumba is high risk but high reward, whereas someone like Murray is lower risk but lower reward. All of this is pretty speculative and subjective though.
My business is in Red Deer I live in both Edmonton and Red Deer I have season tickets to Oil kings and frequent alot of Red Deer games as well have seen Dumba many times, He is solid night in night out, I was big backer of RNH early last year and Hall the year before. Reinhart's defensive game is not NHL ready or close imo 2-3 year project for sure Have not seen enough of Murray to have a good gauge, but Dumba has no glowing holes to his game, I think they take grigro with the 2nd pick, but for a dman I like Dumba.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:43 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
My business is in Red Deer I live in both Edmonton and Red Deer I have season tickets to Oil kings and frequent alot of Red Deer games as well have seen Dumba many times, He is solid night in night out, I was big backer of RNH early last year and Hall the year before. Reinhart's defensive game is not NHL ready or close imo 2-3 year project for sure Have not seen enough of Murray to have a good gauge, but Dumba has no glowing holes to his game, I think they take grigro with the 2nd pick, but for a dman I like Dumba.
I rank the 3 Russians ahead and Murray ahead of Dumba.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:56 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I can't argue have not seen enough of them, but I think I have a pretty good read on Dumba and Reinhart

Old
03-15-2012, 08:34 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
I can't argue have not seen enough of them, but I think I have a pretty good read on Dumba and Reinhart
Dumba is a step above Reinhart for sure. Im a big Reinhart fan but it is what it is.

Something else Dumba brings is that burning desire to win. You wont see him taking any nights off. He wants to win as bad as Hall does. And that means something to me, and shoud mean something to Oiler's management.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:14 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
I think that if you are going to call Galchenyuk a Russian you are going to have to refer to Dumba as the Philipino and Murray the Scot.

Old
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
I think that if you are going to call Galchenyuk a Russian you are going to have to refer to Dumba as the Philipino and Murray the Scot.
QFT, he's from Wisconsin people.

I dont know who is better, Grig or Galchenyuk. Confidence in Stu!

Old
03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
yeah people seem to keep forgetting this... he is more american than he is russian

Closed Thread