HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fair is fair: Who were the media types and sources who said that Markov was done for?

Old
03-12-2012, 01:32 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
Fair is fair: Who were the media types and sources who said that Markov was done for?

I remember various tweets from various twits who said in hushed doublespeak that Markov's career was over and he would retire in the summer. That his knee wouldn't ever be healed and Gauthier knew this but kept delaying it to save his job somehow.

Can someone help me out here? If we're gonna to dismiss fake sources we might as well dismiss ALL the fake sources not just trade rumor fabricators. Like this maybe we can actually shut up some of the parasitic media types who haunt the Habs.

I think Marinaro was suggesting that Markov's knee was worse than let on, but I'm sure there were some older French guys that said worse.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
I never heard of any mostly because I already ignore them

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I never heard of any mostly because I already ignore them
Me too but we should all ignore them collectively

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Mr. Hab

I like your positive attitude towards waiting for Markov (unlike mine!), but let's wait and see...!! (he just came back!!).

I've been disappointed by Markov's fragile body many times...let's hope he stays healthy for a long, long time this time and also...shows up for playoffs and plays well for once.

Let's see if he can survive that first heavy bodycheck...I'm already nervous for this.

This summer...get a solid TOP 4 UFA dman (ex: Suter).
And, also acquire a VERY SOLID #5-6 dman.

Suter?
Subban
Markov? (if his knee/rest of body holds up)
Gorges
Emelin
UFA solid #5-6dman
--------- -----------
St-Denis??
Diaz?? (trade bait??)
Kaberle???
Weber (trade bait?
----------- ----------
I can't wait for:
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Ellis
Bennett
Dumba?!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 03-12-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:32 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I like your positive attitude towards waiting for Markov (unlike mine!), but let's wait and see...!! (he just came back!!).

I've been disappointed by Markov's fragile body many times...let's hope he stays healthy for a long, long time this time and also...shows up for playoffs and plays well for once.

Let's see if he can survive that first heavy bodycheck...I'm already nervous for this.

This summer...get a solid TOP 4 UFA dman (ex: Suter).
And, also acquire a VERY SOLID #5-6 dman.

Suter?
Subban
Markov? (if his knee/rest of body holds up)
Gorges
Emelin
UFA solid #5-6dman
--------- -----------
St-Denis??
Diaz?? (trade bait??)
Kaberle???
Weber (trade bait?
----------- ----------
I can't wait for:
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Ellis
Bennett
Dumba?!
MTL will be picking between Griogorenko,Forsberg and Galchenyuk not Dumba

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I remember various tweets from various twits who said in hushed doublespeak that Markov's career was over and he would retire in the summer. That his knee wouldn't ever be healed and Gauthier knew this but kept delaying it to save his job somehow.

Can someone help me out here? If we're gonna to dismiss fake sources we might as well dismiss ALL the fake sources not just trade rumor fabricators. Like this maybe we can actually shut up some of the parasitic media types who haunt the Habs.

I think Marinaro was suggesting that Markov's knee was worse than let on, but I'm sure there were some older French guys that said worse.
Uh what?

Markov played 1 game.

Easy there tiger...

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Uh what?

Markov played 1 game.

Easy there tiger...
I'll rest a little easier if he plays all 13 remaining games, and the WC without any issues.

THEN I'll start to pencil him into the lineup next season. He did seem tentative, but I think it was more the lack of game play over two seasons than his knee.

But, to the OP. Marinaro was definately one that flat out said his career was over. Also keep in mind this is someone that wants Pierre "mancrushing on Dion Phaneuf" McGuire as GM

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Teufelsdreck

Markov willingly, eagerly returned to action. He wasn't afraid to subject his "fragile" body to heavy hitting. The injuries he sutained could have happened to anyone who skated onto an NHL rink. I was exasperated by reading the posts of fans who opined that it would be better and safer to forget about Markov and go with the lesser talents and greater flaws of James Wisniewski.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Markov willingly, eagerly returned to action. He wasn't afraid to subject his "fragile" body to heavy hitting. The injuries he sutained could have happened to anyone who skated onto an NHL rink. I was exasperated by reading the posts of fans who opined that it would be better and safer to forget about Markov and go with the lesser talents and greater flaws of James Wisniewski.
TBH I was hoping we could have kept the Wiz here....but not for anywhere near what he got. I'm glad we got a pick out of his rights. Wiz at 3-4M for 2-3yrs...yes, for that massively overblown deal....heck no.

And now for the "knee test" portion of our season to determine our UFA targets

Old
03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
But, to the OP. Marinaro was definately one that flat out said his career was over. Also keep in mind this is someone that wants Pierre "mancrushing on Dion Phaneuf" McGuire as GM
Can you find where he said that? As far as I know he never said anything like this...I have him on twitter, never noticed anything like that.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Can you find where he said that? As far as I know he never said anything like this...I have him on twitter, never noticed anything like that.
Neither did I. I'd like for people making those allegations and asking for accountability to do the same: find the link and prove it.

I think that some in the media may have underestimated Markov's true flame: participate in the IIHF World Championships.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

It's still a little early to claim victory imo. Markov still needs to show his knee can withstand some punishment.

If Markov gets hurt again, you've opened yourself up to ridicule and you'll have to answer to the hate from posters that will tell u that u jinxed him. Here's to hoping that won't happen because the Habs desperately need a healthy Markov.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Not a good start to the witchhunt when you don't even know who you're hunting.

Even the most inconsequential media tweets end up in threads on this board and I don't recall such claims being made about Markov. That would have been explosive news.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:24 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
I'll bet $20 that we don't pick Grigs, regardless of rank. If we pick 5th (some teams, including Leafs, are better tankers than we are), I don't think Galchenyuk or Forsberg will be available, despite Clb and Edm dire need for Ds.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
You think you've oovered all the bases? You may be surprised. (Did you expect the Habs to select Carey Price?) The Habs could trade down in the first round to get additional picks or else trade for an established player. Including Gomez in a trade with their first rounder is an intriguing possibility.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 03-12-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old
03-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
It's still a little early to claim victory imo. Markov still needs to show his knee can withstand some punishment.

If Markov gets hurt again, you've opened yourself up to ridicule and you'll have to answer to the hate from posters that will tell u that u jinxed him. Here's to hoping that won't happen because the Habs desperately need a healthy Markov.
So did Gorges.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:55 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I don't ever recall seeing speculation from media that Markov is done. Maybe a lot of nervousness about the whole situation is in print, IDK.

Having said that - I will only celebrate his full return once the following have taken place:

1. He plays the majority of a regular season.

2. He plays an entire playoff run without injury.

3. The Habs win the Stanley Cup.

Maybe number 3 is asking too much but since the Habs constantly insist on building the team around Markov then I don't think it is asking too much.

Markov playing one game will not have me jumping up and down for joy because I remember doing that a couple of times already only to be disappointed by another Markov setback, injury or whatever.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I distinctly remember he said it on 5 a 7 around the time of the 2nd "injury" when folks were musing about him really going to rehab, etc, etc. ; and he did qualify his comment with a "Je pense que". Look, I don't hate the guy so I'm not pissing on him. I disagree with some of the stuff he's said (ie...McGuire), and I hold him in the same regard as most Montreal media....except Jack Todd, I just don't like him due to his constant griping.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Neither did I. I'd like for people making those allegations and asking for accountability to do the same: find the link and prove it.

I think that some in the media may have underestimated Markov's true flame: participate in the IIHF World Championships.
Yes that's it, Markov's "true flame" is the Worlds.
Very insightful stuff.
Russians only care about world tournaments, and north American are the true hard workers that care for the cup. Jesus Christ man, crawl out of your hole an give up the dumb stereotypes already.

It really doesn't mean much that Markov himself said he hasn't thought about the Worlds at all, that all he was looking at is playing a game considering the man hasn't been dressed for almost 2years. Nope, the guy is lying. His true passion is the Worlds.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Iwishihadacup

the whole conspiracy business by Mr Hab was truly hilarioulsly stupid

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
McTusk

There's enough short-sightedness around all of HFBoards that you'd figure it would stop at some point, like someone would think, wow, I've read so many threads where people talk in absolutes and then are proven wrong 10 minutes or one day later that maybe I should exercise patience in what I say around here.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Marinaro says a lot of dumb things but he never said Markov was done

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Nobody said this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Nobody said this.
THIS!

HAHA! it is done

Old
03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I remember a lot of posters on this board saying he wouldn't play a single game and would retire. I'm glad they were proven wrong.

That said, as others have said, it's only been one game. So let's not get too excited. Anything can happen. I really hope that Markov can stay healthy for the rest of his contract, because he's the best player to play for the Habs for at least the last 15ish years. He's a treat to watch.

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote